Swapping a 2006 crf450r frame out for a 2008 crf450r

96motorhead
Edited Date/Time 11/6/2021 8:10pm
I cracked the frame on my 06 crf450r and am trying to get a new frame for my bike. Has anyone ever completed this swap before? By looking at part numbers I believe the 06 subframe, swing arm, linkage and engine will bolt right on. I'm not sure if the 2006 cdi will mount to the 2008 frame due to the addition of the steering damper in 08. It looks like Honda made the 08 cdi smaller to fit above the steering damper.
|
nine1seven
11/1/2021 10:46pm
I did that conversion. It’s not as easy as you would think. I had a 2007 CRF450R that had all Ti hardware and PC A-Kit suspension. I found a 2008 frame, cleaned it up and started swapping everything over. As you mentioned, the CDI is much smaller on the 08 to mount above the HPSD and the relays mount on the other side of the frame behind the right radiator on the 08 as opposed to the left side on the 07. I tried relocating the CDI in front of the tank between the radiators but it didn’t quite fit there with the way the radiator hoses are run. Too bad because it would have been the perfect solution. I ended up finding a good deal on a low time 08 so I sold the 07. The conversion could be made to work I think, but you may be better off finding an 08. Great bikes either way.

Here’s my 08 in progress. Just found a set of 08 CRF PC clamps that I had bored to fit the A-Kit. I have a set of PC clamps for the 05-07 in 22mm offset I’m going to list in the bazaar soon if you are interested.

Good luck with he conversion and let me know if I can help.

DJ

96motorhead
11/2/2021 5:54am
nine1seven wrote:
I did that conversion. It’s not as easy as you would think. I had a 2007 CRF450R that had all Ti hardware and PC A-Kit suspension...
I did that conversion. It’s not as easy as you would think. I had a 2007 CRF450R that had all Ti hardware and PC A-Kit suspension. I found a 2008 frame, cleaned it up and started swapping everything over. As you mentioned, the CDI is much smaller on the 08 to mount above the HPSD and the relays mount on the other side of the frame behind the right radiator on the 08 as opposed to the left side on the 07. I tried relocating the CDI in front of the tank between the radiators but it didn’t quite fit there with the way the radiator hoses are run. Too bad because it would have been the perfect solution. I ended up finding a good deal on a low time 08 so I sold the 07. The conversion could be made to work I think, but you may be better off finding an 08. Great bikes either way.

Here’s my 08 in progress. Just found a set of 08 CRF PC clamps that I had bored to fit the A-Kit. I have a set of PC clamps for the 05-07 in 22mm offset I’m going to list in the bazaar soon if you are interested.

DJ

Thank you for the help, that's the information I was looking for. Your bike is looking good so far. Do you have a build thread? What year a-kit forks did you use?

If anyone has a new or used in excellent condition 06-07 frame they want to sell let me know.
nine1seven
11/2/2021 7:36am
I will probably start a thread soon. The guy who bought my 07 wanted to do a 08 frame swap so I threw in the 08 frame I had. It was in good shape and so is his 07 frame. Maybe he would part with one of them. I’ll check.

DJ
adam8781
11/6/2021 8:10pm
nine1seven wrote:
I did that conversion. It’s not as easy as you would think. I had a 2007 CRF450R that had all Ti hardware and PC A-Kit suspension...

DJ

id be interested in those clamps for my 02 cr250 build

The Shop

nine1seven
11/13/2021 5:39pm
nine1seven wrote:

DJ

adam8781 wrote:
id be interested in those clamps for my 02 cr250 build
I’ll sell them to you. Text me at 218-791-5498

DJ

Post a reply to: Swapping a 2006 crf450r frame out for a 2008 crf450r

The Latest