Steveo 2018 crf250r: muffler mods

Related:
Create New Tag

6/9/2018 8:02 PM

I'll start with a few pics off my old bike and how I came about deciding to upgrade. It was a 2010 crf250r. I spent alot of time and money making it into to what I thought was a awesome all round bike till I destroyed the valve springs and few other bits and got a deal I couldn't refuse for trade in on a new crf250r from my local Cairns honda.

Parts list for the old bike off the top of my head:
Cylinder works 270 kit
Hot rods bottom end
Hot cams stage 2
Clean up castings in the head
Vortex ecu
Moto tasinari air force air boot
Pro circuit exhaust
Suspension was set up for me by mxrp
I put 15w fork oil in the steering dampener
Devol lowering link
Over size front rotor, braided lines
Talon wheel set
I coated the triple clamps, rear break res, water pump cover, rear brake hanger was shaved and coated as well. Bit of Ti and polished bits here and there and plenty more I can't remember over the years. Here's 2 pics of the old girl anyway I don't want to get to much into it. Photo
Photo

I traded it in not running for a fresh one and put a 49t sprocket and o ring chain on straight away, I wanted radiator braces straight away as well and wasn't paying the fortune for works connections so I made my own being a fabricator. I hand made a prototype pair and currently have a pair cnc cut I need to find time to fold up and then I will be selling them for 95 dollars. Photo
Photo
Photo Photo

I removed the exhaust guards and ground off the ugly tabs as well and rode like this for a while. I then got a really cheap deal on some hrc bits from Cairns Honda and installed a hammer head pro brake return spring, removed casting marks off the foot controls and gave them a polish along with the pull rods and shock knuckle as well.

Photo
Photo

I got given a crf dampener from my local Cairns Honda as well, made a small crush tube out of stainless and it was a great mod! Definitely recommend it to anyone. I will be putting 15w fork oil into it when I get time. I don't have pictures of the crush tube installed so imagine it is.

Photo

Cairns Honda hooked me up with a sticker kit as well, I put on black side number plastics and black cyra stadium plate. I couldn't help myself and order a wheel set and carbon bits for it to complete the bike for now. I have a few more little things planned for it along the way I will post up. The suspension is getting set up by stillwell performance this week with a few bits I'll post once done.

Photo
Photo

Will post better pictures later but that all for now guys.

|

6/9/2018 8:58 PM

Looking foward for more I’m a huge fan of the new Honda’s.

|

6/10/2018 9:40 AM

I think some holes in those radiator braces would definitely help airflow and cut down a few oz of weight

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

6/10/2018 12:37 PM

GregDVT wrote:

I think some holes in those radiator braces would definitely help airflow and cut down a few oz of weight

Yeah that's it, only reason I didn't on the first ones is because I planned on doing it to the cnc cut ones, here's what the cnc cut ones look like. Photo

|

6/11/2018 11:27 AM

Ohhhhh lots of air flow there. Can’t wait to see the final product. I love these threads with handmade parts

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

6/14/2018 6:14 PM

Love it! Awesome piece on the radiator.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

6/16/2018 10:11 PM

Photo quick pic after a wash today
|

6/17/2018 7:48 PM

I think you are running the Showa stabilizer upside down my man.. I am running it on my Husky so not apples to apples since it’s on a Honda but all the photos on the net show it the other way and I am running it the other way,
Photo

|

6/17/2018 10:30 PM

smv ryder wrote:

I think you are running the Showa stabilizer upside down my man.. I am running it on my Husky so not apples to apples since it ...more

I actually think your right my dude haha! I'll have a look when I get home. Im guessing its a older model dampener as well judging by where my clicker is compared to yours and how it was on my old bike if that makes sense

|

6/18/2018 7:27 PM

Photo
|

6/18/2018 11:02 PM

Checked when I got home and it's the right way up as you guys have pictured and pointed out. Thanks guys

|

6/19/2018 9:41 AM

You know what, I think the dampener on my 2011 crf450 that I sold recently was like yours. The picture I posted was just from google. I get minor head shake on my current 2017 but the frame is sooooo much more stable than the 09-12 bikes and even 13-16, which was adequate. Haven't rode the new 250f (Really want to change that, dying to ride it!) but I hear the frame/suspension is one of the best in the class this year. It's cool they left the mounts for the dampener on though, I'd be willing to try if I had an extra one to bolt on.

|

6/19/2018 11:24 AM

hubbardmx50 wrote:

You know what, I think the dampener on my 2011 crf450 that I sold recently was like yours. The picture I posted was just from ...more

Mate I can't compare it to the old bike. Stock suspension/chassis and brakes are way better, then the power difference compared with the old modded motor is better again and far more enjoyable to me. I definitely recommend trying a dampener if you can get your hands on one! I thought it was strange they didn't have one but left the mounts

|

6/19/2018 4:26 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying the new 250. The 17-18 bikes were a huge step in the right direction for Honda. Glad they (other Japanese brands included) are finally listening to customer feedback instead of slapping the same shitty air forks etc. on year after year.

|

6/19/2018 4:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2018 4:33 PM

I just noticed I only put 2017 and not 2017 450. I'm not talking about the 2017 crf250 with the old frame haha. Our frames are more or less the same and it's awesome to hear the dampener makes it even better.

|

7/14/2018 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/14/2018 11:58 PM

Bought these pegs of Facebook from another local cheap, worth every dollar and I got the bike back from the Cairns local suspension guru stillwell performance and I couldn't be happier with it, Sean did a great job. Photo
Photo

With my tax return if I have enough funds after paying bills Ill get a rekluse torque drive complete clutch and that will be it, then just ride the wheels off it

Edit- I don't recommend buying the cmt exhaust caps either, brittle and I've already destroyed one and won't be replacing it. I do like the cmt number plate parts though for protection from lifting the graphics.

|

7/15/2018 2:22 AM

Good to see someone else from FNQ on here..where do you ride if you don’t mind me asking?

|

7/15/2018 11:17 AM

Mainly at the Edmonton track and have a few friends with tracks that we switch it up with. Been meaning to get back up to the Ravenshoe and Mareeba tracks but not really keen on the drive with places to ride alot closer. What about you mate where do you ride?

|

7/15/2018 2:22 PM

Pretty much just a private track up the Tableland’s. Been keen on hitting Edmonton haven’t been there since my racing days..what’s the go with practice there if you don’t mind me asking? Sweet scoot by the way. I’m an old 2 stroke dinasour here’s my work in progress Photo

|

7/15/2018 3:18 PM

AC76 wrote:

Pretty much just a private track up the Tableland’s. Been keen on hitting Edmonton haven’t been there since my racing ...more

Mate that rm is fucking mint. I ride with some boys who are big Suzuki fans and they'd love it! Edmonton practice is normal day licence 30 bucks and if your not a member it's another 30 I'm pretty sure. We will definitely have to get together for a ride mate! I live on a cane farm in Gordonvale so when it's cut and replanting time we put in a big turn track that ruts up nice for a couple months you'll have to come for a ride, pm me and I'll add you on Facebook.

|

7/16/2018 3:17 AM

Cheers mate. Still a heap to do but more than happy with it! Turn track in the cane fields sounds epic! PM sent..

|

7/17/2018 8:05 PM

Hey mate nice build! Good to see another qld’er on here! I’m down the Sunshine Coast, just wondering what you thought of the cmt products? Did the shipping take long? I’m about to pull the trigger on 1 of their bashplates for my new yz450. Cheers

|

7/17/2018 10:31 PM

thereal87 wrote:

Hey mate nice build! Good to see another qld’er on here! I’m down the Sunshine Coast, just wondering what you thought of the ...more

I rate them just wish I didn't buy the exhaust caps haha I lost one mid moto and seen it next lap in peices ??? they are both off now. The shipping is surprisingly fast I seen them within 10 working days!

|

7/23/2018 2:09 PM

Stevehrc wrote:

Mate that rm is fucking mint. I ride with some boys who are big Suzuki fans and they'd love it! Edmonton practice is normal ...more

Hey mate tried adding you on FB but there’s heaps of people with that name not sure which one you are..mind you I don’t really do FB so I’m probably not doing it right. Can send you my mob# If you want

|

7/23/2018 10:04 PM

AC76 wrote:

Pretty much just a private track up the Tableland’s. Been keen on hitting Edmonton haven’t been there since my racing ...more

Stevehrc wrote:

Mate that rm is fucking mint. I ride with some boys who are big Suzuki fans and they'd love it! Edmonton practice is normal ...more

AC76 wrote:

Hey mate tried adding you on FB but there’s heaps of people with that name not sure which one you are..mind you I don’t really ...more

Haha no worries mate my number is 0411730461 send us a text and we will get it sorted out ?

|

8/11/2018 8:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/11/2018 8:45 PM

A few weeks ago I decided to modify the mufflers and test it for a few weeks. It definitely has a louder note and has given it some more berries. I couldn't justify 1500+ for new pipes hence modifying the mufflers. Im going to mod the headers as well. Pictures speak for them self, cut old off and weld new on. It can be reversed back to stock.

Photo
It hasn't got any popping on decel either.

|