So my Wife wants to build a bike...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/16/2020 12:23 AM

After building a handful of bikes my Wife has decided to build her own.
Facts:
1. She doesn’t know what a carburetor does.
2. She swears more than me
3. She hates chemicals
4. She likes the color Yellow

So here we go!

Her Dad raced this same model in 76 so she has always wanted one like it.

We were able to purchase this bike from the original owner and it has sat for a long time. It does turn over but it’s rough so she will be doing a frame up restoration to bring it back to it’s former glory in stock trim.

I can’t tell you how difficult it is to not just hop in and do the job. Haha. Tonight she removed plastics, seat, tank and the carb as well as doing a rebuild on the carburetor. I’m so damn impressed with her patience.

The carburetor took 4 hours..... haha. But she did it all and we are in for a long winter.

I will be documenting this build here as well as Instagram for those of you interested in following. @throwbackmxguy

Here are the first progress pics. Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/16/2020 12:32 AM

The carb looks amazing after blasting it.
I followed you on IG.

To you and your wife. Keep up the good work.

|

12/16/2020 12:35 AM

timobijnen84 wrote:

The carb looks amazing after blasting it.
I followed you on IG.

To you and your wife. Keep up the good work.

thanks! I’m hoping we stay married when it’s all said and done. Haha

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/16/2020 1:13 AM

Manbearpig wrote:

thanks! I’m hoping we stay married when it’s all said and done. Haha

grin
|

12/16/2020 2:20 AM

Maybe she has realized that's the only way to spend more time with you? 😁

|

12/16/2020 2:28 AM

Banana_oil wrote:

Maybe she has realized that's the only way to spend more time with you? 😁

laughing Possibly right... haha
|

Throwbackmxguy

12/16/2020 7:07 AM

Facts:
That’s bad ass.

|

12/16/2020 8:17 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Facts:
That’s bad ass.

I think so as well.

I just hope she doesn’t want me take up ballroom dancing after this. Haha

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/16/2020 9:51 AM

This is awesome; Your old lady is cool. Way to find another 'family time' avenue. Sick Stanton replica by the way! That bike was CLEAN looking!

|

12/16/2020 11:39 AM

Nice, congrats on having a cool wife!

|

12/16/2020 9:00 PM

Premix4Life wrote:

This is awesome; Your old lady is cool. Way to find another 'family time' avenue. Sick Stanton replica by the way! That bike was CLEAN looking!

Thanks man. It beats the hell out of staring at the TV with each other when it’s cold outside. I appreciate that on my Stanton bike. That was a crazy fun build! Photo
Photo

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/16/2020 9:00 PM

yak651 wrote:

Nice, congrats on having a cool wife!

Thanks! I definitely got lucky.

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/18/2020 9:46 AM

Premix4Life wrote:

Manbearpig wrote:

Thanks man. It beats the hell out of staring at the TV with each other when it’s cold outside. I appreciate that on my Stanton bike. That was a crazy fun build! Photo
Photo

Thx for posting these 2 pics! Love that friggen bike now, as much as I did in '92 when I was a 12yr old. Looks great wherever, especially with the snow!!!! Made my Friday! Cheers!

|

12/18/2020 1:32 PM

That first Carb / Tank shot is awesome.

I think you should marry her LOL

|

12/18/2020 1:36 PM

Premix4Life wrote:

Manbearpig wrote:

Photo

Premix4Life wrote:

Thx for posting these 2 pics! Love that friggen bike now, as much as I did in '92 when I was a 12yr old. Looks great wherever, especially with the snow!!!! Made my Friday! Cheers!

It’s such a great era for bikes. And those Honda’s were just so damn clean. Have a great weekend!

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/18/2020 1:37 PM

philG wrote:

That first Carb / Tank shot is awesome.

I think you should marry her LOL

Haha! I will ask her That pic turned out better than expected

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/19/2020 10:10 AM

Hot wife, restores her own bike = Mrs. Unobtainium. Congrats.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/19/2020 11:49 AM

captmoto wrote:

Hot wife, restores her own bike = Mrs. Unobtainium. Congrats.

Thanks. It’s especially fun when we lock the kids out. Haha

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/20/2020 8:16 AM

My wife helped with her bike build. Awesome time together. Photo

|

12/20/2020 11:24 AM

haydug391 wrote:

My wife helped with her bike build. Awesome time together. Photo

That’s so cool!

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/22/2020 10:43 PM

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Looks like a few pics loaded twice sorry. But we have the engine out and will have a bare frame this week to send to powder with the swingarm and handlebar.
|

Throwbackmxguy

12/23/2020 10:40 AM

I've enjoyed seeing the last few bike builds/restores and look forward to see the progress on this one. It's cool when your family is into what you enjoy as it makes life sooo much easier. Seeing the awesome job the vapor blaster does has me looking to add one to my current arsenal of tools myself.

The mid late 70s Suzuki's are really cool and not to hard to restore. I'd did one last year for a friend, it was just a racer so we didn't go to nuts with the aesthetics and focused more on the mechanicals. It was a real basket case when I got it but it turned out well.

Photo

Photo

I'm working slowly on a 77 RM125 that will have a RM/PE 175 motor when done. It's got a full assortment of LOP catalog parts thrown at it too, plastic, swing arm, rear wheel mods, and some work performance shocks. Cool bikes none the less.

Photo

|

12/23/2020 11:23 AM

450exc115 wrote:

I've enjoyed seeing the last few bike builds/restores and look forward to see the progress on this one. It's cool when your family is into what you enjoy as it makes life sooo much easier. Seeing the awesome job the vapor blaster does has me looking to add one to my current arsenal of tools myself.

The mid late 70s Suzuki's are really cool and not to hard to restore. I'd did one last year for a friend, it was just a racer so we didn't go to nuts with the aesthetics and focused more on the mechanicals. It was a real basket case when I got it but it turned out well.

Photo

Photo

I'm working slowly on a 77 RM125 that will have a RM/PE 175 motor when done. It's got a full assortment of LOP catalog parts thrown at it too, plastic, swing arm, rear wheel mods, and some work performance shocks. Cool bikes none the less.

Photo

Nice work! I figured it would be the perfect bike for her to start on given the simplicity of the bikes. Also her Dad raced or in 76 so it has sentimental value as well. I’m excited to see your 175 LOP bike!

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/23/2020 11:42 AM

They are definitely on the smaller size for a full size bike which should be good for smaller riders. At 6' 3" and over 230 lbs it was like racing an 85/100 sized bike and lots of clutch work to keep it on the pipe but quite a hoot to ride!

Looking forward to the progress!

|

12/23/2020 6:26 PM

Very nice...

|

Hello..Vital?..

12/24/2020 10:52 AM

Manbearpig wrote:

Photo

Holy shit that is a beautiful bike and photo

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

12/24/2020 10:53 AM

Also yay to your wife's build! I only know a few other ladies who like to wrench like I do

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

12/24/2020 9:16 PM

Premix4Life wrote:

Manbearpig wrote:

Photo

queen of spodes wrote:

Holy shit that is a beautiful bike and photo

Thank you very much haha

|

Throwbackmxguy

12/28/2020 11:24 PM

Made a little progress tonight.

Off to powdercoat

Frame
Shock springs
Handlebars