Should I cerakote?

Blackjack31
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2018 9:58pm
So I am contemplating on getting some things cerakoted. Triple clamps, inner clutch cover (probably not the correct name, it’s not the clutch cover but that piece behind it), brake calipers, water pump cover, a pretty good bit of stuff. But the last thing I want is 15 different things on my bike looking like crap after 2 races. I think stock looks better then half on half off colored stuff. My issue is that I race woods/enduro/GNCC. Does anybody have any experience on how well it holds up? I’m not talking about the bike you built And it sits in your garage or the bike you ride every couple months. I race every weekend during the season and practice during the week. So at least 100 hours of experience preferred.
|
brody
12/18/2018 2:49pm
no on inner clutch and clamps
you clamps will get destroyed by roost
cerakote is good but i would clear coat over it
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
12/18/2018 10:17pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 10:18pm
Ive done the brake calipers on my RMZ 450 and my RM 250, along with ignition cover and water pump cover on my KTM EXC 500 (which I ride off-road and in the woods). Everything has held up perfect so far. I would not bother with the triple clamps, but inner. clutch cover should hold up fine, IMO. Water pump cover might get tore up eventually, but the one on my 500 is still like new after 20 hours of riding. Ignition cover shows zero wear either....
Blackjack31
12/19/2018 9:04pm
langhammx wrote:
Ive done the brake calipers on my RMZ 450 and my RM 250, along with ignition cover and water pump cover on my KTM EXC 500...
Ive done the brake calipers on my RMZ 450 and my RM 250, along with ignition cover and water pump cover on my KTM EXC 500 (which I ride off-road and in the woods). Everything has held up perfect so far. I would not bother with the triple clamps, but inner. clutch cover should hold up fine, IMO. Water pump cover might get tore up eventually, but the one on my 500 is still like new after 20 hours of riding. Ignition cover shows zero wear either....
Thanks man. I will probably skip on the clamps then. 2 votes no so I’ll just keep them stock. Would like to do water pump and break calipers though. Love the burnt bronze look.
Wade221
12/20/2018 11:55am
So I am contemplating on getting some things cerakoted. Triple clamps, inner clutch cover (probably not the correct name, it’s not the clutch cover but that...
So I am contemplating on getting some things cerakoted. Triple clamps, inner clutch cover (probably not the correct name, it’s not the clutch cover but that piece behind it), brake calipers, water pump cover, a pretty good bit of stuff. But the last thing I want is 15 different things on my bike looking like crap after 2 races. I think stock looks better then half on half off colored stuff. My issue is that I race woods/enduro/GNCC. Does anybody have any experience on how well it holds up? I’m not talking about the bike you built And it sits in your garage or the bike you ride every couple months. I race every weekend during the season and practice during the week. So at least 100 hours of experience preferred.
On my KX, I had the: inner clutch cover, water pump, radiator hose inlet and ignition cover, cerkoted flat black. All held up well to roost, pressure washing, mud, etc. The ignition cover did wear a bit from the boot at the shift point.

The Shop

12/20/2018 1:18pm
I’ve had some of my stuff done on my YZ 250. Almost 3 years on my triple clamps being powder coated and very little chips. The cerakote is also very durable and has held up great after a year. I’m going to get some parts done on my YZ250F to match the two smoker

pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
12/20/2018 4:36pm
What color did you use on the inner clutch cover? Burnt bronze on the other items it appears
12/20/2018 5:42pm
Yep that’s burnt bronze. The other color is tungsten. Seriously debating to do my factory hubs either burnt bronze or a magnesium. I’m in the process of putting blue rims on my two stroke so I have the perfect chance to do the hubs. Only problem is I’d have to tear down my 250F wheels to do them also
Blackjack31
12/20/2018 9:58pm
Those are sick. Im going to try and do it myself. Degrease everything well, Acetone, Sand blast the part, spray it with cerakote (not sure where to buy it, guessing the amazon stuff), and then bake it. The only thing I don’t have is an oven thats not in my kitchen and cerakote.

Post a reply to: Should I cerakote?

The Latest