Sandblasting steel frame

JoshJHTX
Hey y’all, I’m about to tear my bike down and was wanting to sandblast and paint my frame, I’m new to the whole sandblasting and powder coating, and cerakoting deal, what can I sandblast and what can’t I TIA
|
sandman768
10/26/2020 5:29pm
Ok to sandblast a steel frame if it’s warranted...if it’s in rough condition. Anything aluminum you want to have vapor blasted, as sand or glass beads will be to abrasive for aluminum and can embed into the aluminum. There are many different grades of media that can be used in blast cabinets also for small parts.
JoshJHTX
10/26/2020 5:30pm
sandman768 wrote:
Ok to sandblast a steel frame if it’s warranted...if it’s in rough condition. Anything aluminum you want to have vapor blasted, as sand or glass beads...
Ok to sandblast a steel frame if it’s warranted...if it’s in rough condition. Anything aluminum you want to have vapor blasted, as sand or glass beads will be to abrasive for aluminum and can embed into the aluminum. There are many different grades of media that can be used in blast cabinets also for small parts.
Mainly wanting to remove some surface rust and also strip the color for repainting
b_kowalsk
10/27/2020 5:37am
Make sure to stay away from the vin number and tape off your steering stem bearing races.
TunaBro
10/28/2020 11:01am
My shop sandblasts moto frames often and like what others said, sand is ok on steel and especially needed for rust. You will be fine but I would mask the areas you want masked on your end before bringing it in, like the VIN for example. Its extra insurance just in case.

Post a reply to: Sandblasting steel frame

The Latest