Rockstar Husky 125

Related:
Create New Tag

10/17/2020 7:27 PM

I picked up this beauty today. It's a deal I've been working on for a few months now and it finally came through.
This bike is the real deal factory built machine, not a stocker with stickers. Some of you can easily figure out where it came from.

The bike was built for Loretta's this year. It only has a couple of practices on it then the 6 motos it ran at the ranch, total of 8 hours. After Loretta's it went back to Husky for a full frame down rebuild. Unfortunately, Husky did remove a couple of things I was hoping to get with the bike. The obvious is the A kit suspension and the Guts phantom seat.
They also changed the head on the engine to a VHM for some reason. I'm guessing they wanted the head for their current 125 rider. Good thing is, those are all parts I can get my hands on if I want to.
Honestly, I don't need A kit nor do I need the phantom seat foam. The head I'm intrigued by, but I'm told by the engine builder that the difference is negligible and they use both.

The bike will be ridden by myself and my kid, not just a garage queen. I wanted a 125 and it's time to start transitioning my kid off of the 85. So he will ride it here and there, if he's transitioning well we may got to the 125 full time for him next summer.

Now for the build process and what I want to do with it.
First thing on my to do list is the suspension. Right now, I'm pretty dead set on sending it to MX Tech and putting in their Lucky carbon spring conversion.
After that, there's a few trick parts I'd like to put on it. Luxon makes a few things I'm really interested in for this, especially the triple clamps.
I already have the Ride Engineering HPSD setup and the dampener has been revalved by Racetech.
Not certain what I'll do for the graphics yet. I don't think I want to keep the Rockstar look, so I'm looking for ideas.

Anyway, I'll post updates here as I do things with the bike.

Photo Photo

|

10/18/2020 4:48 AM

Cool piece of history.

|

rarararaataatatatata

10/18/2020 10:02 AM

Interested in how that motor runs. Let us know after you ride it.

|

10/18/2020 3:26 PM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Interested in how that motor runs. Let us know after you ride it.

Took it out today to get a feel for it. I haven't been on a 125 since 2004, so riding it was a bit of a learning experience for me again. Coming off of a 350, I knew it was going to be different.
I was surprised by how smooth the power delivery was on it. As expected with a 125, there's no bottom end and I really thought this one may have a little more than it does.
Once you get into the mid range though, freaking hold on. Mid to top, this thing is an absolute rocket and just keeps pulling. On the longest straights at the track we were at I could grab 3rd and couldn't run it out before I had to get on the brakes. The more aggressive I got, the better the motor responded. It's smooth, but it's a rocket for sure.
My 12 year old had no issues handling the bike, but he also never really cracked it open and let it sing. It was his first time on a big bike, so he was taking it easy.

|

10/18/2020 6:28 PM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Interested in how that motor runs. Let us know after you ride it.

Braaaphole wrote:

Took it out today to get a feel for it. I haven't been on a 125 since 2004, so riding it was a bit of a learning experience for me again. Coming off of a 350, I knew it was going to be different.
I was surprised by how smooth the power delivery was on it. As expected with a 125, there's no bottom end and I really thought this one may have a little more than it does.
Once you get into the mid range though, freaking hold on. Mid to top, this thing is an absolute rocket and just keeps pulling. On the longest straights at the track we were at I could grab 3rd and couldn't run it out before I had to get on the brakes. The more aggressive I got, the better the motor responded. It's smooth, but it's a rocket for sure.
My 12 year old had no issues handling the bike, but he also never really cracked it open and let it sing. It was his first time on a big bike, so he was taking it easy.

Good stuff man, do you know the service interval of the piston? Or is it similar to stock? Looks like a fun bike, enjoy!

|

10/20/2020 11:02 AM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Interested in how that motor runs. Let us know after you ride it.

Braaaphole wrote:

Took it out today to get a feel for it. I haven't been on a 125 since 2004, so riding it was a bit of a learning experience for me again. Coming off of a 350, I knew it was going to be different.
I was surprised by how smooth the power delivery was on it. As expected with a 125, there's no bottom end and I really thought this one may have a little more than it does.
Once you get into the mid range though, freaking hold on. Mid to top, this thing is an absolute rocket and just keeps pulling. On the longest straights at the track we were at I could grab 3rd and couldn't run it out before I had to get on the brakes. The more aggressive I got, the better the motor responded. It's smooth, but it's a rocket for sure.
My 12 year old had no issues handling the bike, but he also never really cracked it open and let it sing. It was his first time on a big bike, so he was taking it easy.

LumpDog841 wrote:

Good stuff man, do you know the service interval of the piston? Or is it similar to stock? Looks like a fun bike, enjoy!

Piston is a Vertex single ring, service interval is 10 hours. They told me I can run the stock piston if I want with no issues and extend the service interval.


I'm on the hunt for some carbon fiber guards for the brake and clutch master cylinder. Anyone know who makes those?
I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture or not, but the hydraulic clutch on this bike was changed out to a full Brembo setup. The factory team doesn't use the stock Magura. Additionally, the master cylinder is solid black unlike the stock KTM. I don't know if there's a difference and it's just a coating or what. I will say it's the smoothest clutch I've ever used.

|

10/20/2020 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/20/2020 11:16 AM

Braaaphole wrote:

Piston is a Vertex single ring, service interval is 10 hours. They told me I can run the stock piston if I want with no issues and extend the service interval.


I'm on the hunt for some carbon fiber guards for the brake and clutch master cylinder. Anyone know who makes those?
I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture or not, but the hydraulic clutch on this bike was changed out to a full Brembo setup. The factory team doesn't use the stock Magura. Additionally, the master cylinder is solid black unlike the stock KTM. I don't know if there's a difference and it's just a coating or what. I will say it's the smoothest clutch I've ever used.

Both Nihilo, and Pro Carbon make guards. I think both would work well, I've ordered stuff from Pro Carbon and had no issues with the shipping from the UK.

https://nihiloconcepts.com/collections/carbon-fiber/products/ktm-husqvarna-carbon-fiber-clutch-reservoir-protector

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk/us/ktm/ktm-clutch-master-cylinder-protector-excexc-f-xc-w-brembo-2014-20

|

10/20/2020 11:27 AM

LumpDog841 wrote:

Good stuff man, do you know the service interval of the piston? Or is it similar to stock? Looks like a fun bike, enjoy!

Braaaphole wrote:

Piston is a Vertex single ring, service interval is 10 hours. They told me I can run the stock piston if I want with no issues and extend the service interval.


I'm on the hunt for some carbon fiber guards for the brake and clutch master cylinder. Anyone know who makes those?
I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture or not, but the hydraulic clutch on this bike was changed out to a full Brembo setup. The factory team doesn't use the stock Magura. Additionally, the master cylinder is solid black unlike the stock KTM. I don't know if there's a difference and it's just a coating or what. I will say it's the smoothest clutch I've ever used.

LumpDog841 wrote:

Both Nihilo, and Pro Carbon make guards. I think both would work well, I've ordered stuff from Pro Carbon and had no issues with the shipping from the UK.

https://nihiloconcepts.com/collections/carbon-fiber/products/ktm-husqvarna-carbon-fiber-clutch-reservoir-protector

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk/us/ktm/ktm-clutch-master-cylinder-protector-excexc-f-xc-w-brembo-2014-20

Awesome, thanks

|

10/21/2020 12:10 PM

Braaaphole wrote:

Took it out today to get a feel for it. I haven't been on a 125 since 2004, so riding it was a bit of a learning experience for me again. Coming off of a 350, I knew it was going to be different.
I was surprised by how smooth the power delivery was on it. As expected with a 125, there's no bottom end and I really thought this one may have a little more than it does.
Once you get into the mid range though, freaking hold on. Mid to top, this thing is an absolute rocket and just keeps pulling. On the longest straights at the track we were at I could grab 3rd and couldn't run it out before I had to get on the brakes. The more aggressive I got, the better the motor responded. It's smooth, but it's a rocket for sure.
My 12 year old had no issues handling the bike, but he also never really cracked it open and let it sing. It was his first time on a big bike, so he was taking it easy.

LumpDog841 wrote:

Good stuff man, do you know the service interval of the piston? Or is it similar to stock? Looks like a fun bike, enjoy!

Braaaphole wrote:

Piston is a Vertex single ring, service interval is 10 hours. They told me I can run the stock piston if I want with no issues and extend the service interval.


I'm on the hunt for some carbon fiber guards for the brake and clutch master cylinder. Anyone know who makes those?
I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture or not, but the hydraulic clutch on this bike was changed out to a full Brembo setup. The factory team doesn't use the stock Magura. Additionally, the master cylinder is solid black unlike the stock KTM. I don't know if there's a difference and it's just a coating or what. I will say it's the smoothest clutch I've ever used.

Factory KTM and Husky teams, US and MXGP have black master cylinders. They look the same as standard master cylinder on KTM just with coatings, but might have factory internals too?

|

10/23/2020 2:19 PM

brooklynevans wrote:

Factory KTM and Husky teams, US and MXGP have black master cylinders. They look the same as standard master cylinder on KTM just with coatings, but might have factory internals too?

I certainly doesn't feel like the stock KTM clutch. My kid was asking if we could put on on his 85 because it feels so much better. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing exactly what is different.
We are running the Team Fried race this weekend and several of the Rockstar Husky guys are here, I'll ask around and see what I can find out about it.

|

10/23/2020 7:09 PM

Funny thing is, I have husky and ktm bikes and running side by side, the magura imo has much better range and modulation. When I sold one of the husky, i swapped the brembo to it and put the magura on the ktm I kept.

Nice build btw... i am in the middle of a 2018 tc125 rockstsr build.

|

10/25/2020 1:56 PM

I'm going to try to get it in for some dyno time pretty quickly. I just want to see a baseline of what this engine is putting out compared to stock.

|