Rm144

marc819rm144
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2018 7:28am
Hey guys I am new to the forums here. I am in the middle of building a 2003 Eric gorr rm144 for xc racing I should have my engine back this week my question is does anyone on here have an 03 rm144 or a pre 2004 I am having trouble finding a 58mm piston for an 03 they are readily available for 2004-2008 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
|
debun
Fantasy
21st
7/8/2018 6:18pm
I have an 01 and they did a s crap job on my cylinder. As for pistons I ordered a replacement when i got my cylinder. Are they not stocking them any more or are you just looking for better pricing?
marc819rm144
7/9/2018 3:00am
I don't know I'm calling Eric this morning I just hate that I can only get a piston from one place what if they shut the doors I guess I should have checked around before I sent it off
bcoker56
7/9/2018 3:00pm
debun wrote:
I have an 01 and they did a s crap job on my cylinder. As for pistons I ordered a replacement when i got my cylinder...
I have an 01 and they did a s crap job on my cylinder. As for pistons I ordered a replacement when i got my cylinder. Are they not stocking them any more or are you just looking for better pricing?
Same here on the one for my 02. Actually looking to buy OEM replacement now but being a pansy on pulling the trigger due to price.
marc819rm144
7/9/2018 5:43pm
Well hopefully that is not the case with mine I will have it back this week he does still stock the pistons but I hate that he doesn't have an online store and that you have to send a check or money order this is 2018 lol I hate to hear that you guys weren't happy with yours it worries me could you explain a little more what the problem with yours are is it bad porting or what thanks for the replys

The Shop

debun
Fantasy
21st
7/9/2018 8:04pm
You just can't get good help now days. I felt like nothing more than a number to them and the workmanship was less than stellar. I did my first top end, my piston came out looking like shit with a flat streak on the front after about 25 hours. I measured my cylinder come to find out it was out of spec. The flat spot I believe was from insufficient relief around the exhaust port. Luckily I had a picture of the piston in my phone with their measurements written on it as evidence. I argued with the dude that answers the phone who was like what ever dude, I don't get paid enough to give a shit. Long story short after a few days of back and forth and more arguing I spoke to the big boss who was cool and warranted it minus the piston. Shipping cylinders ain't cheap but I got it back and examined everything. The exhaust ports weren't even heights which I didn't notice before and after running the motor for ~90 seconds I took the cylinder head off and what do I see? Vertical marks on the cylinder. Back on the phone with Eric and he said not to worry they would go away after about 50 hours but I could send it back in and they would hone it...again. I took his word and 50 hours later they are still their. I honestly don't know what they are but I can tell you I never had these issues with the stock cylinder and or piston.

marc819rm144
7/10/2018 3:55am
That is crazy and is terrible customer service I hope mine doesn't come back like that iv never seen marks like that and I have done a lot of top ends I hate that you got done like that man I would try call8ng him again but he'll idk
bcoker56
7/10/2018 4:32am
Pretty similar with mine. The porting on mine has caused an issue along with the sleeve not being in just right. I couldn’t get mine to stop running rich and pulled the cylinder off again to inspect it better with my current engine builder and he pointed it out as soon as we looked at cylinder. The porting was left smooth instead of rough to help the fuel dissipate so the fuel is just dumping into cylinder.
debun
Fantasy
21st
7/10/2018 3:55pm
That is crazy and is terrible customer service I hope mine doesn't come back like that iv never seen marks like that and I have done...
That is crazy and is terrible customer service I hope mine doesn't come back like that iv never seen marks like that and I have done a lot of top ends I hate that you got done like that man I would try call8ng him again but he'll idk
Keep us posted how yours turns out.
marc819rm144
7/12/2018 3:43am
I got mine back last night it looked really good I got it bolted up and it runs amazing I'll be test riding it this weekend but I guess I won't really know until I ride it and the pull the head off to inspect
8/22/2018 4:29pm
debun wrote:
You just can't get good help now days. I felt like nothing more than a number to them and the workmanship was less than stellar. I...
You just can't get good help now days. I felt like nothing more than a number to them and the workmanship was less than stellar. I did my first top end, my piston came out looking like shit with a flat streak on the front after about 25 hours. I measured my cylinder come to find out it was out of spec. The flat spot I believe was from insufficient relief around the exhaust port. Luckily I had a picture of the piston in my phone with their measurements written on it as evidence. I argued with the dude that answers the phone who was like what ever dude, I don't get paid enough to give a shit. Long story short after a few days of back and forth and more arguing I spoke to the big boss who was cool and warranted it minus the piston. Shipping cylinders ain't cheap but I got it back and examined everything. The exhaust ports weren't even heights which I didn't notice before and after running the motor for ~90 seconds I took the cylinder head off and what do I see? Vertical marks on the cylinder. Back on the phone with Eric and he said not to worry they would go away after about 50 hours but I could send it back in and they would hone it...again. I took his word and 50 hours later they are still their. I honestly don't know what they are but I can tell you I never had these issues with the stock cylinder and or piston.

I had an 03 rm144 built and the piston and cylinder both had those same weird markings. never gave me an issue though sold the bike at about 14 hours, due to not be able to find a reliable source for pistons and gaskets. 144s rip tho. I've decided to build a cr144 or a kx144 next. so much cheaper than doing it to the zukis
marc819rm144
8/28/2018 4:45am
So I just pulled my cylinder off at the 10hr Mark and I have those exact same marks on my cylinder as well as a chip out of the exhaust side skirt of the piston from it hitting the case that was not relieved enough and the exhaust side of the piston is completely worn out after 10hrs of easy trail riding I get mistakes happen but I'm seeing a pattern here

marc819rm144
8/28/2018 4:46am
The good news is he was very nice on the phone and is going to fix it
debun
Fantasy
21st
8/28/2018 7:47am
The good news is he was very nice on the phone and is going to fix it
Did you measure your cylinder bore? I'm wondering if the wear is clearance or just rough surface finish related. All i know is the OE piston never looked that shitty.
9/21/2018 12:59am
how's the 144 project going. any more bad luck? or have you got the problem fixed?
marc819rm144
9/22/2018 7:28am
Sent it back to gorr as soon as I got it back together I sold it that was the first and last time doing a big bore as well as the last time I will use Eric gorr for anything yes he stood behind his work and fixed it but the point is this is a reaccuring problem all over every forum when you spend that kind of money you should not have to send it back over and over again it should be right the first time. Lesson learn keep stock bore don't use gorr for anything
marc819rm144
9/22/2018 7:28am
Sent it back to gorr as soon as I got it back together I sold it that was the first and last time doing a big bore as well as the last time I will use Eric gorr for anything yes he stood behind his work and fixed it but the point is this is a reaccuring problem all over every forum when you spend that kind of money you should not have to send it back over and over again it should be right the first time. Lesson learn keep stock bore don't use gorr for anything

Post a reply to: Rm144

The Latest