Rm 125 build 2008

Related:
Create New Tag

9/18/2017 6:33 PM

So I thought I'd start a build thread as I've been meaning to do one for for a while but have just been waiting for the right bike to pop up. Found an rm 125 2008 with 76 hours on it from new and had a top end done at fifty hours. It had been looked after reasonably well with maintenance like air filter and oil but other than that he left things to fall apart. It needed some work done. The last time the guy rode it it started losing power mostly in powerband. Aparently it sounded like a 2 stroke Rev limiter. Carburetor was pouring out fuel out the over flow while running. Leaking Radiators and bent. The plastics were also quite beaten up. The tread on the tyres weren't too bad and the front tyre was the original. The brake pads had gone through the metal well and truly. So the tear down begins to see if we find anything else wrong. I'll add some photos along the way of the process but heres how I got it

|

9/19/2017 8:05 AM

Are you sure its a 2008.. can I have the VIN?

|

9/19/2017 8:13 AM

Some non-USA models were available past 2007.

|

9/19/2017 11:17 AM

KDXGarage wrote:

Im aware, but is this an outside model? I want to know.

|

9/19/2017 1:17 PM

I'm from new Zealand so that may be why. I'll post photos soon

|

9/19/2017 1:21 PM

Photo

Photo

This is how got the bike at first. The guy had put a tone of Silicon on it to make it look nice but was very noticeable he had done so. Doesn't look bad in the photos but in person it's a different story

Photo

|

9/19/2017 2:06 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

m.hardesty16 wrote:

Im aware, but is this an outside model? I want to know.

The last 125's in Oz were 2010 models.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out Codey cool

|

9/19/2017 4:59 PM

Got to stripping the bike down

Photo
No struggles Soo far
Found out the reason for the Radiators leaking. Just a simple split in a hose.
Photo
Got the cylinder off. The piston had a lot of carbon build up on the top. The cylinder has no crosshatches so will need to get that honed.
Photo
Going to need new linkage bearings.
Photo

Also gonna need new swingarm bearings and wheel bearings.

|

9/19/2017 5:00 PM

Got to stripping the bike down

Photo
No struggles Soo far
Found out the reason for the Radiators leaking. Just a simple split in a hose.
Photo
Got the cylinder off. The piston had a lot of carbon build up on the top. The cylinder has no crosshatches so will need to get that honed.
Photo
Going to need new linkage bearings.
Photo

Also gonna need new swingarm bearings and wheel bearings.

|

9/19/2017 5:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 5:30 PM

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

So I have a list of parts I'm gonna need already.
The list includes
Top end kit
Linkage bearings
Swingarm bearings
Rear and front wheel bearings
Tyres
Grips
Plastics
Clutch cable
Brake pads.
Chain
Sprockets
Air filter
Graphics

Will also do some powder coatin
Going to get the frame and subframe done. Need some help deciding what colour??? Also going to get the rims and hubs done. Possibly triple clamps and few other little things. Still deciding.

But next on the agenda is to get to some cleaning.
|

9/19/2017 5:28 PM

The list of parts parts will grow before it all goes toget her no doubt. Will keep it updated. And advice or tips or questions are appreciated. Or any one who has any parts for sale maybe like an aftermarket pipe

|

9/19/2017 6:02 PM

There certainly isn't a shortage of RM builds and I love it.. It's great to see all of the different types of creativity going in to each build.. These bikes are very popular right now. I hope popular enough for some manufacturers to run some new aftermarket parts.. It sucks that I can't find any frame guards.. Good luck with your build Codey..

|

9/19/2017 6:19 PM

If that's an '08, those bearings haven't been greased since '07 haha. I love RM's. Keep us updated for sure.

|

@fiendz.cc

9/19/2017 6:35 PM

ClutchLuck24/7 wrote:

There certainly isn't a shortage of RM builds and I love it.. It's great to see all of the different types of creativity going in to each build.. These bikes are very popular right now. I hope popular enough for some manufacturers to run some new aftermarket parts.. It sucks that I can't find any frame guards.. Good luck with your build Codey..

That would be great if manufacturers started making more parts for sure. Hopefully I can find some frame guards after I powder coat my frame

|

9/19/2017 6:37 PM

FiendzCC wrote:

If that's an '08, those bearings haven't been greased since '07 haha. I love RM's. Keep us updated for sure.

Ahahaha. You would think so wouldn't ya. Love rms too. Will post some more in the next day or two

|

9/19/2017 8:57 PM

ClutchLuck24/7 wrote:

Codey15 wrote:

That would be great if manufacturers started making more parts for sure. Hopefully I can find some frame guards after I powder coat my frame

Carbon frame guards
.http://www.carbonperformanceparts.co.uk/suzuki-rm-250-50-c.asp

They have them for the 125 as well.

|

9/19/2017 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/19/2017 9:02 PM

I'm in the process of my own RM125 build/restoration as well, except mine is 30 years older (Old School Moto). What started as a project that only needed a few things has evolved into $1900 list of parts purchased, not counting what I bought the bike for. It's all good though, just be prepared to spend more than anticipated the deeper you tear into it. Good luck and have fun!

|

9/19/2017 10:08 PM

Mr. Sandman wrote:

I'm in the process of my own RM125 build/restoration as well, except mine is 30 years older (Old School Moto). What started as a project that only needed a few things has evolved into $1900 list of parts purchased, not counting what I bought the bike for. It's all good though, just be prepared to spend more than anticipated the deeper you tear into it. Good luck and have fun!

Yeah I had a feeling the more I took apart the more was gonna go wrong/ need replacing. But hopefully at the end of it I'll have an awesome bike. Good luck with your build. I'll check it out

|

9/19/2017 10:10 PM

ClutchLuck24/7 wrote:

Codey15 wrote:

FTB wrote:

Carbon frame guards

Thanks. Expensive though!

|

9/19/2017 10:11 PM

Does anyone know what the bogging issue while in powerband could be? I'm assuming it's just a top end. Could think of anything else but I'm not a mechanic so I could be wrong

|

9/19/2017 10:19 PM

Codey15 wrote:

Does anyone know what the bogging issue while in powerband could be? I'm assuming it's just a top end. Could think of anything else but I'm not a mechanic so I could be wrong

I think reeds could cause that issue too.. Have you checked them yet??

And thanks FTB but I don't like the way those frame guards go all the way up to the gas tank.. Lol maybe I'm too picky.. I would love to find some used Works Connection guards for the 125 though..

|

9/20/2017 9:46 AM

Is the cylinder not plated, or was it sleeved at some point?

|

9/20/2017 1:18 PM

ClutchLuck24/7 wrote:

I think reeds could cause that issue too.. Have you checked them yet??

And thanks FTB but I don't like the way those frame guards go all the way up to the gas tank.. Lol maybe I'm too picky.. I would love to find some used Works Connection guards for the 125 though..

Okay thanks clutch luck. I'll check them tonight. I was thinking about getting some boysen reeds anyway.

|

9/20/2017 1:20 PM

KDXGarage wrote:

Is the cylinder not plated, or was it sleeved at some point?

photoPhoto
Sorry not the best photo. But I don't think either of them have been done?? Not sure

|

9/20/2017 1:59 PM

Photo
So I got started on cleaning up the linkage last night when I had a little bit of spare time. Not amazing but it is a improvement from what it was like.
Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/20/2017 7:17 PM

FTB wrote:

Carbon frame guards

Hey ftb. Would you mind letting me know how you did the rmz subframe mod. Maybe some photos of what u had to do? You can email me on codeybelsham@gmail.com. cheers

|

9/20/2017 9:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2017 9:55 PM

Codey15 wrote:

Hey ftb. Would you mind letting me know how you did the rmz subframe mod. Maybe some photos of what u had to do? You can email me on codeybelsham@gmail.com. cheers

I was going to get some pics side by side with an OEM sub frame for another member but had these in my PC already.

It's pretty much just been shortened.
Photo

Photo

Photo

I cut the back off a 2nd seat base and foam I had and gave it to the local motor trimmer who covered it and made it all work.

Photo

Photo

|

9/20/2017 9:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2017 9:59 PM

You can use it with the OEM tank or the X-Fun alloy tank. .

The air box boot from an 04+ RM 125 is a direct fit with the 2010+ RMZ 250 air box.

Photo

|

9/21/2017 12:46 AM

FTB wrote:

Carbon frame guards

Codey15 wrote:

FTB wrote:

I was going to get some pics side by side with an OEM sub frame for another member but had these in my PC already.

It's pretty much just been shortened.
Photo

Photo

Photo

I cut the back off a 2nd seat base and foam I had and gave it to the local motor trimmer who covered it and made it all work.

Photo

Photo

So it's not just a easy bolt up for the subframe? Would an rmz seat fit? May be a later project. Depends how much time I have. But thanks. Will definitely save it. And do u have to swap the air box's aswell?

|

9/21/2017 4:17 PM

Yes, you need a 2010+ air box.

I used an RMZ seat with the X-Fun alloy tank, but, you need to do a mod on the tank, the seat button needs to be removed and replaced with the RMZ 250 bracket.

I still have the sub frame, seat and air box. If you decide to do the mod let me know and we should be able to work something out, assuming shipping doesn't kill the deal. Shouldn't cost too much to NZ though.

|