Rebuilding my old friend - 2005 CR250

JMCR250
4/11/2020 5:43pm
I love the way yours came out. You need to get some hours on that thing! Appreciate the feedback, I am getting motivated during this quarantine...
I love the way yours came out. You need to get some hours on that thing! Appreciate the feedback, I am getting motivated during this quarantine so hopefully I can make some solid progress this month. The bike is at my brother's shop so I really only get to work on it during the weekends when I am free.

I am going back and forth on whether or not to order up a Lectron carb... so many mixed reviews out there.
BToz wrote:
Mine had a new lectron when I got it. It had pretty big bog down low and I don’t know much about them so I went...
Mine had a new lectron when I got it. It had pretty big bog down low and I don’t know much about them so I went back to stock for now. I don’t think I would have spent the $450 on one. I might mess with it and see if they’re as good as people say. This all reminds me of my 2006 RM250. That bike was awesome all stock, I put on a bunch fancy crap and it wasn’t nearly as good and that was after trying every possible jet combination.
The stock Mikuni can be made to work on these bikes. It'll never be set it/forget it like a Keihin, but it will deliver excellent response and HP -- you just need to stay on the settings (mostly air screw) to adjust for changing temps/pressure/humidity. I went with a JD jetting kit for mine, and after a little of experimentation and advice from JD, I'm pretty happy with the TMX on my bike. I was talking to a nationally known tuner last year about doing some work on the bike, and one of the first things he said to me was "please don't tell me you took the Mikuni off your bike."
4/13/2020 7:26am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2020 7:27am
Motor is coming together. Had a slight fitment issue with my phathead but looking to get that sorted out this week

6/4/2020 5:26pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/03/370525/s1200_DEF1B8FA_4AD9_457E_AB5B_7F5590ABE189.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/09/03/370524/s1200_0117FFBC_C3BB_47CB_8A7B_1915C9802F3F.jpg[/img] Here is a 2006 I am finishing up All NOS Honda plastic, NOS seat NOS Dunlop’s

Here is a 2006 I am finishing up
All NOS Honda plastic, NOS seat
NOS Dunlop’s
BToz wrote:
Oh man loving this stock build! I was looking everywhere (northwest) for a stock clean bike. I ended up getting what I thought was a pretty...
Oh man loving this stock build! I was looking everywhere (northwest) for a stock clean bike. I ended up getting what I thought was a pretty clean bike -until I took it all apart. I tried getting all stock Honda parts like plastics/body parts but wasn’t able to find any. Ended up doing the restyle kit and then took it off a couple days ago (looks kinda funny).
I see that you are having troubles finding stock parts? I'm putting together a 2006 at the moment. I knew it was clean when I picked it up, but as I tore it apart, I was amazed just how untouched and unblemished it was. Not a single mark on the fork lugs, perfect frame, and the engine has never been opened up. The only thing I found was that the rear wheel has been swapped for one from a CRF450 at some point. Both hubs are clean and the brake calipers are spotless.

Anyway, back to your search for stock parts. Everything is still available from the dealers. All plastic, seat, bars, pegs, crank, cylinder, trans parts, you name it. After pouring through the parts lists and talking with my local parts manager, we found that there are only a few parts that have been discontinued. I did the search to determine what things I might want to stock up on, preparing for a time when parts do become scarce.

The Shop

Sc2
6/6/2020 1:53am
Can you post any links who has original parts pls , here in the uk it's a struggle
6/6/2020 2:09am
This is my preferred dealer in Oregon. You can email a list of parts you need to them and they will ship directly to you:

https://www.cyclecountry.net/

With this dealer, you can look up each part on there website, check availability of each part, place the order, and pay with PayPal or credit card. You do everything online and never have to interact with a person, and then the parts are shipped directly to you.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/

I have used both of these many times and would highly recommend them.
booma1218
6/6/2020 2:29am
Hey Bud,did you ever finish your build on the CR????Lets go riding!!
7/8/2020 9:21pm
booma1218 wrote:
Hey Bud,did you ever finish your build on the CR????Lets go riding!!
Hey fellas! The bike is ALMOST done, I finally got it running this weekend.

I have to say, that Lectron carburetor makes the bike sound super crisp even through I am just breaking it in. Throttle response is amazing.

One gripe I have is that I believe the "stock" compression dome in my phathead is actually higher than stock... I am hearing some detonation under a load which cleared up quite a bit with a 50/50 mix of race/pump gas.
Going to test the compression and may just run full race fuel if I have to for this season, then tear it open over the winter.
The plug looks near perfect, maybe even a tad on the rich side (although I have not done any real WOT plug chops yet).

I have some custom graphics getting designed, and need to do some miscellaneous odds and ends, but overall I am stoked. It is hard to explain the excitement/relief of hearing the motor fire up and sound healthy.

Here are some updated photos along with the first start:
Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

https://youtu.be/Z5SpvjmZl1s

https://youtu.be/3ROv3PfeP6w

10/8/2020 11:11am
Hey guys, wanted to follow up with some official "Completed" photos as well as a video my friend through together from the first day I really got the chance to open the motor up.

KyleDirtbike_034

KyleDirtbike_031

KyleDirtbike_026

KyleDirtbike_024

KyleDirtbike_013

KyleDirtbike_010

KyleDirtbike_005

KyleDirtbike_003

BToz
10/8/2020 11:46am
I was wondering what was going on with your bike. Turned out sweet and nice update with the video.
10/8/2020 2:46pm
Carmichael, in 2001 when he went over to Honda immediately wanted the Keihin. HRC modded the Mikuni, with the S7 nozzle, showed him the dyno, and the bike ended up with a Mikuni.

It just needs an S7 nozzle, and and a competent mechanic. The problem is that both of those are hard to find. Try jets r us in Cleveland, thats where I get my carb stuff.

The guy who spread the "put a pwk on it and mill .030 off the base of the cylinder" did more to ruin last generation CR250s than any man alive. Period. Ive never seen such shitty info spread like fact.
H4L
10/11/2020 9:05pm
Carmichael, in 2001 when he went over to Honda immediately wanted the Keihin. HRC modded the Mikuni, with the S7 nozzle, showed him the dyno, and...
Carmichael, in 2001 when he went over to Honda immediately wanted the Keihin. HRC modded the Mikuni, with the S7 nozzle, showed him the dyno, and the bike ended up with a Mikuni.

It just needs an S7 nozzle, and and a competent mechanic. The problem is that both of those are hard to find. Try jets r us in Cleveland, thats where I get my carb stuff.

The guy who spread the "put a pwk on it and mill .030 off the base of the cylinder" did more to ruin last generation CR250s than any man alive. Period. Ive never seen such shitty info spread like fact.
Agree 100% about the .030” milled off the base of the cyl.. I test rode an 06 CR250r I was looking to buy a few yrs. back that had .025” milled. The engine ran like crap 💩 & is definitely the worst mod you can do to these bikes.
I can’t remember the guys avatar name, but felt he steered a lot of people in the wrong direction as well. A lot of effed up CR’s out there because of him..
booma1218
10/12/2020 9:25am
Hey guys, wanted to follow up with some official "Completed" photos as well as a video my friend through together from the first day I really...
Hey guys, wanted to follow up with some official "Completed" photos as well as a video my friend through together from the first day I really got the chance to open the motor up.

KyleDirtbike_034

KyleDirtbike_031

KyleDirtbike_026

KyleDirtbike_024

KyleDirtbike_013

KyleDirtbike_010

KyleDirtbike_005

KyleDirtbike_003

You in Beneventos in North Reading?
10/12/2020 10:12am
booma1218 wrote:
Negative - I had ridden there a couple times way back in the day though. Do you get busted in there nowadays?
booma1218
10/13/2020 4:29pm
booma1218 wrote:
Negative - I had ridden there a couple times way back in the day though. Do you get busted in there nowadays?
I don't know I haven't been out there in a few years...I can get there from the trails from my house it's just boring out there on a dirtbike I think...I have a track near my house on my buddys land if you want to try it sometime...By any chance you have a spare master cylinder???Mine shit the bed...I tried rebuilding it,but it's still not working..
10/14/2020 8:48pm
booma1218 wrote:
I don't know I haven't been out there in a few years...I can get there from the trails from my house it's just boring out there...
I don't know I haven't been out there in a few years...I can get there from the trails from my house it's just boring out there on a dirtbike I think...I have a track near my house on my buddys land if you want to try it sometime...By any chance you have a spare master cylinder???Mine shit the bed...I tried rebuilding it,but it's still not working..
Yeah I recall it being pretty flat out there.

Nice! Where is the track? Always open to finding new, "safe" places to ride.
Feel free to shoot me a PM or track me down on instagram (@hatemorlovem)

No spare master cylinder laying around unfortunately!

Post a reply to: Rebuilding my old friend - 2005 CR250

The Latest