RM125 + RM250 Freshen Up *Update 4/11*

DerickYZ
Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 5:18am
Well, lets try this out. I got a 2002 RM250 after I traded my 2003 CR125 in May. Kid got scared of the bike and wanted to downsize, so I lucked out and found an RM250 in good condition besides the card leaking due to a loose float bowl and the god awful blue coloring on the frameSick

Fast forward to July. I decided to go out and race for the first time in 2 years on a bike I might have 10 laps total on a MX track prior to this race. I went out, went 4-1 for a 2nd overall. I felt great and the bike was great, decided after that day I would go race the day before we went to VA Beach...

This was the bike on Saturday after 10 minutes of riding at the turn track. Was going 3rd gear into a corner then the rear wheel locked up. Had compression and it would run, however would not shift out of gear and the shifter was stuck.

I decided to park it as I would wait for Winter to tear into the motor as I did not have the time I wanted to complete the work to my standard.

Lets fast forward to today. As of 2 days ago my friend called me and said his buddy was selling an 03 RM125 that needed some TLC. After looking the bike over, I created a list in my head what it needed and it was adding up quickly. The guy was selling it for $1500, but I only paid $700 after him counter offering a dozen times.

This is how the bike looks right now, and it is sad to see such a great bike absolutely neglected which was my motivation into getting it. To my surprise, the bearings we all tight as far as I could tell. The bike was put away dirty and the whole 9 yards. It runs but the idle is EXTREMELY high however, the header it legitimately broke in half, possible cause? Carb needs cleaning? I'll find that out once I rebuild it. The compression is good, but I plan on doing a full bottom and top end rebuild on this bike and my RM250.

Anyone want an extremely LOW HOUR header, crisp $200 firm Laughing

We here in NY are currently in snow and freezing weather. I took it to the car wash with what little time I could before the snow started. As you can tell, this needs a good hour cleaning!

This build will be slow but done by the end of the month, or mid March depending how the weather is going to act. I'm thinking of a simple build, nothing crazy. Modest, clean and simple bikes. Any inputs would be appreciated and please be patient, this will take a bit! Update coming Thursday!
|
vmxracer
2/6/2018 6:01pm
I see your blue frame and raise you a red framed 02 KX250 with black plastic and salmon rims Blink

It's now in the process of getting some green loving

2/6/2018 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 6:59pm
vmxracer wrote:
I see your blue frame and raise you a red framed 02 KX250 with black plastic and salmon rims :blink: It's now in the process of...
I see your blue frame and raise you a red framed 02 KX250 with black plastic and salmon rims Blink

nice! cant wait to see you save those RM's!!

and that kx colors is awfull! god, even winfield kx's with the red plastics had the green frames.
DerickYZ
2/6/2018 7:17pm
vmxracer wrote:
I see your blue frame and raise you a red framed 02 KX250 with black plastic and salmon rims :blink: It's now in the process of...

Someone definitely had a unique color design in their head...hmmm

The Shop

DerickYZ
2/6/2018 7:19pm
Arrowangel wrote:
nice! cant wait to see you save those RM's!! and that kx colors is awfull! god, even winfield kx's with the red plastics had the green...
nice! cant wait to see you save those RM's!!

and that kx colors is awfull! god, even winfield kx's with the red plastics had the green frames.
I'm excited for these RM's! I have the bottom end bearings, seals and gaskets coming, should be in Thursday. I also got a smoking deal on a complete RM250 transmission that is here too. Hoping to have the RM250 in the frame sometime this week. I got to get the frame done first as well. That'd be black with grip tape, no bling just something that is simple
DerickYZ
2/8/2018 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2018 7:44pm
Well today is Thursday and no partsSad

Due to weather where the distribution center is had bad weather and had a slight delay. Good thing I got free shipping through Rocky Mountain ATV so no sweat off my back. Hoping to have something for you guys tomorrow or possibly Saturday!
DerickYZ
2/9/2018 7:06pm

Parts arrived! Was able to score a OEM RM125 pipe for cheap that is in really good condition so I had to pick it up. Hopefully installing these parts sometime tomorrow
Lasse
Fantasy
2966th
2/11/2018 5:13am
Can't wait to see more!
lcgordon711
2/11/2018 6:48am
Would be kinda cool with the blue frame to do a 1990 replica.
DerickYZ
2/11/2018 6:02pm
Would be kinda cool with the blue frame to do a 1990 replica.
Hmm..... I do like your idea!
DerickYZ
2/11/2018 6:04pm
Here's an update for you guys. I have to pick up another soda blasting gun as mine stopped working today Sad I will give an update possibly tomorrow or the next day after I get done blasting and installing these parts!
DerickYZ
2/13/2018 1:50pm

Got postponed with some things but got to clean some parts up. Some blasting and elbow grease. Will be putting the main bearings in tonight. Thinking of polishing the triple clamps and linkage
DerickYZ
4/10/2018 8:58pm
Holy shit. Its been awhile. I've literally been able to FINALLY crack down on these bikes a little bit. Sorry to keep you guys waiting, I've been super busy at work with the first quarter of the year and everything. Pictures to follow recent work!
DerickYZ
4/10/2018 9:10pm
FIRST OFF.

I apologize for the cluttered work area, I usually run a very clean and organized set up but due to circumstances, I had to work on a fold up table for a bit Dry

Main bearings replaced, new transmission (low hour out of an '02 RM250).

This motor gave me a hassle to be honest putting the crank in, mainly because of the main bearing on the flywheel side not wanting to work with me. However, a little heat and pressing I was able to get it all together. Top end went as usual. Cylinder was perfect on the button in regards to bore, put in my Pro-X piston. I highly recommend Pro-X pistons! I've used these in all of my 2 Strokes and never had an issue with the. Great quality at a better price!

As of right now, the RM250's motor is done. New clutch was installed. I use a Tusk Clutch Kit. For my use (C Class Weekend Warrior) it is good for me, never had an issue with them at all.

RM125 update to follow
4/10/2018 9:17pm
Looking good, Recently did the same to my yz125 2008. Mine wasn't nearly as bad, but it felt soooo good to freshen everything up. Don't know if I should get a sticker kit or leave it bald.

DerickYZ
4/10/2018 9:29pm
Now on to the RM125. And man, this will be a project.

After washing for 10 minutes at the car wash (had a long line waiting for me, my money is just as good as theirs lol). I was able to clean it up a little bit. Not to my liking, but atleast its ALOT better than the condition I bought it in.

The spoke skins are definitely coming off. Yellow rims will be staying. Seat cover will be getting tossed as well.

Today I drained the oil, thick as syrup. Drained the anti-freeze, was clean. However, the motor was still dirty but a little cleaning prior to removing parts will work for now until I extract the motor into the basement for the teardown.

Now I have this. The top of the piston is not be up at all. No damage at all, just a ton of carbon build up. Now I have 2 questions that you guys can hopefully help me with.

1.) The bike has a super high rev. Like, wide open rev. The slide is down in the carb, no kinking of the throttle cable. Carb has been completely tore apart, cleaned the jets to ensure no blockage. Assembled, still a super high rev. When running, I can twist the throttle and it will rev as it normally would, just the idle is wide open. Air leak?

2.) What about this head? Say screw it and get one off eBay in better condition?

Parts list is currently

- Pro-X Top End Kit
- Depending on the crank, I may take it to the shop and have the crank rebuilt. Has anyone had this done before? Or buy a brand new one?
- Brake Lines, Pads, possibly rebuild the master cylinders
- Fork/Shock Rebuild Kit
- Throttle/Clutch Cables
- Wiseco Clutch Basket w/Plates/Springs

The list will grow as I get into the swing of things again. This week I won't have time to work on it due to having to work some crazy hours at work. Bonus, I will be starting at a new position here coming Monday that will give me a solid schedule and more time to race every weekend I want to compared to now.
Cancerman
4/11/2018 11:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 11:33pm
Definite air leak. I'd look at a new head unless you can find a cherry used one. I had an 03 that I did what you are now doing. Hated selling it.Stay with black frames, yellow wheels and I always tried for the factory look, myself. Looking good so far.

DerickYZ
4/12/2018 9:38am
Cancerman wrote:
Definite air leak. I'd look at a new head unless you can find a cherry used one. I had an 03 that I did what you...
Definite air leak. I'd look at a new head unless you can find a cherry used one. I had an 03 that I did what you are now doing. Hated selling it.Stay with black frames, yellow wheels and I always tried for the factory look, myself. Looking good so far.

Thank you. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll have the motor things done to it. I wanted to put all new gaskets in it first to fix the air leak but the more I think about that, I might as well just rebuild everything in one swing rather to waste more time.

I like your graphics on the RM125, I might go with those engine covers as well.
DerickYZ
4/12/2018 9:47am
As of right now, here is the parts cart for the RM125.

- Pro-X Top End Rebuild Kit
- Pivot Works Fork Kit
- Primary Drive Chain/Sprocket Kit
- Motion Pro Clutch Cable
- Motion Pro Throttle Cable
- Tusk Clutch Kit
- Steamline Steal Braided Lines
- Hot Rods Bottom End
- OEM Cylinder Head w/Nuts

Now depending on the bearings (Swingarm, Linkage, etc) the cost will go up. However, that'll be after inspection as the bearings are tight as of right now. I won't know a definite yes/no until I rip everything apart and inspect.

Total Cart = $850 + Plus Cost of the Bike = $1550 as of right now.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
4/12/2018 2:36pm
nice love me some rm two strokes.

junk that head and get a new one
YamahaJT1
4/13/2018 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:11pm
Hey DerickYZ:

Go Pro X /OEM for Crank, Crank Bearings, and seals. The Pro X is OEM 99.99% of the time.

Go Pro X for the clutch bits. The basket IS Wiseco and sweet, and the pressure plate/Hub are OEM as well.The 10% stiffer Pro X springs are nice.

Do you have a silencer for the 125?

If not, I have a brand new RM125 02'-07' Pro Circuit 304 in the bag I will give to you for free. You just Paypal me shipping and it is yours. You look like you'll put it to good use! PM me to let me know.

DerickYZ
4/14/2018 7:38am
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Hey DerickYZ: Go Pro X /OEM for Crank, Crank Bearings, and seals. The Pro X is OEM 99.99% of the time. Go Pro X for the...
Hey DerickYZ:

Go Pro X /OEM for Crank, Crank Bearings, and seals. The Pro X is OEM 99.99% of the time.

Go Pro X for the clutch bits. The basket IS Wiseco and sweet, and the pressure plate/Hub are OEM as well.The 10% stiffer Pro X springs are nice.

If not, I have a brand new RM125 02'-07' Pro Circuit 304 in the bag I will give to you for free. You just Paypal me shipping and it is yours. You look like you'll put it to good use! PM me to let me know.

PM sent
YamahaJT1
4/14/2018 9:19am
YamahaJT1 wrote:
Hey DerickYZ: Go Pro X /OEM for Crank, Crank Bearings, and seals. The Pro X is OEM 99.99% of the time. Go Pro X for the...
Hey DerickYZ:

DerickYZ wrote:
PM sent
Cool, DerickYZ!

I sent you an email. Glad I can help out.
YamahaJT1
4/20/2018 5:14am Edited Date/Time 4/20/2018 5:18am
Hey DerickYZ:

Still don't have your address. Hope all is well...
MotoXgoon
4/27/2018 5:10am
The previous poster is right. It is definitely an air leak. Base gasket, crank seals, or the boot between the carb and cases is torn. Head is toast unless you send it somewhere to get the dome reshaped ? nice looking bike under all the grime though for not much money!

Post a reply to: RM125 + RM250 Freshen Up *Update 4/11*

The Latest