RM125 2004. Full tilt titanium, coatings

tom_202
5/12/2018 2:06am Edited Date/Time 3/19/2019 9:36pm
So I’ve had the bike around 2 years. Have built this rm from the ground up when I first got it and this will be the second complete ground up build. Here Is a photo of when I picked the bike up. It was disgusting and not even washed. I picked it up really cheap and still ran well.
|
tom_202
5/12/2018 2:30am
As for the first build I did the bike was completely stripped. The frame I had powder coated black as well as the swing arm. All bearing were replaced including linkage, swingarm and head set.

The engine got a rebuilt crank with pro x rod and vertex piston. The cylinder head was ported and cases matched with the head squish modified also. The carb was bored and matched to the slide shape and filled in areas also being jetted with it on the dyno. All the engine seals and bearings were replaced as the bike had a lot of abuse. Second and third gears were also replaced as well as a new wiseco clutch basket and clutch.

Suspension wise on the first build I had a 2014 RMZ 450 full front end mounted. The forks were kashima coated black dlc lowers and black anodised lugs. Valved and sprung correctly. The shock was anodised grey valved and sprung to suit.

The wheels I was running were blue talon hubs with smpro platinum rims. Honestly I’ll never run smpro again I destroyed these rims pretty fast I’ll post some photos when I’m home.

Exhaust is a modified SPES pipe fairly rare I’ve been told. Not sure though with a pro circuit muffler.

Custom motoseat seat cover with new foam (not a fan of the high foam but it’s all that was avalable).

Pro taper bars, grips, chain and sprockets. Dunlop 3s tyres maxima oils, UFO plastics, gpi radiators (prefer OEM), engine ice coolent and BP100 av gas fuel.

This is how it sat after the first build.
tom_202
5/12/2018 2:40am
So phase two of the first build I had a full 2008 CRF front end that I adapted to fit. The forks were kashima coated with gold ti nitride lowers and anodised lugs. I had a set of pro circuit triple clamps that I polished. A CRF 270mm galfer front disc was added with braided steel helol brake lines. I forgot to add I have a vortex ignition also and new sticker kit on this one. Changed to an FMF pipe as my SPES copped a ding from another bike.
tom_202
5/12/2018 2:49am
The RMZ SFF setup worked well but has a certain feel compared to the CRF spring forks. You can’t go past wel setup spring forks as far as I’m concered.
Few photos of the forks I’ve run on the bike.

The Shop

tom_202
5/12/2018 2:54am
I built an RM250 to the same spec also. Few photos of the two bikes
tom_202
5/12/2018 3:04am
The idea of this last build it’s to create what would be today’s factory RM125 if the big teams still raced them. I’ve got bulk parts cerakoted that I’ll post as they arrive back. I’m open to ideas on the build as input would be awesome. Not going for an all bling look but more the factory focus on the factory parts look.

A lot of parts I have had cerakoted by Motokote who also does all of my suspension work on all my bikes as I have a few. I’ll put some photos up of the cerakoted parts and other suspension I’ve had done.
tom_202
5/12/2018 3:06am
Fresh 49mm a kit forks for my 2018 RMZ450
tom_202
5/12/2018 3:18am
As far as the end result for the Last Factory RM125 I’m thinking black frame with silver swing arm.
Factory looking pipe with carbon muffler.
Kashima coated shock body with black or blue coated shaft.
All yellow plastics with black number plates and white fork guards.
Undecided weather to keep the blue hubs or re anodise them to a kashima Brown look as I do all my own anodising.
Black spokes black nipples black rims.
The forks will Be RMZ Showa spring forks. I’m undecided weather to go the old school factory silver fork tubes or the new style JGR look yellow. They will have blue lowers with burnt bronze or black coated lugs.
I’m undecided on triple clamps weather I leave them stock or sand down the stock clamps or go all out with some xtrig bronze clamps.
I’ll have the calipers coated burnt bronze.
The master cylinders will have the sight glass removed and welded and coated burnt bronze. (Magnesium look).

Input would be great if anyone has some ideas.

The sticker kit will be something similar to the old Millsaps RM days
bm201
5/12/2018 4:44am
Bikes look fantastic so far! Any mods you plan to do to the motor? Maybe Eric Gorr 144? Vforce? Bills cone pipe? I think JGR yellow uppers would look good with the old Millsaps look and the blue tini lowers. Also, how does the cerakote hold up on the lowers? Better than hard anodizing, equal or worse? Titanium x-fun gas tank maybe? Cut side panels? Looking awesome keep the updates and pictures coming!
Slosh 112
5/12/2018 6:03am
Donnt cut the side panels i reckon they look terrible, go 280mm motostuff front brakes, matte clear fork upper look banging btw, carbon parts where possible, i built a pretty schmick rm125 not long ago. Ive got some trick parts on that rig if your keen to see, stocko engine and suspension for now but im going to do a KYB SSS conversion and bolt a lectron onto it straight after i give her a new frame ...
tom_202
5/12/2018 11:52am
bm201 wrote:
Bikes look fantastic so far! Any mods you plan to do to the motor? Maybe Eric Gorr 144? Vforce? Bills cone pipe? I think JGR yellow...
Bikes look fantastic so far! Any mods you plan to do to the motor? Maybe Eric Gorr 144? Vforce? Bills cone pipe? I think JGR yellow uppers would look good with the old Millsaps look and the blue tini lowers. Also, how does the cerakote hold up on the lowers? Better than hard anodizing, equal or worse? Titanium x-fun gas tank maybe? Cut side panels? Looking awesome keep the updates and pictures coming!
Thanks mate. I’ll keep it the stock Suzuki shape as I love the style of these plastic these bikes look like proper motocross bike i think. I’ll be keeping as a 125 motor but it has been really worked with porting cases and carb. It’s making the best out of what Suzuki has to offer without going to a lectron. I really like the yellow uppers but still undecided. I do have a kashima set with green lowers I could use but still thinking something different. Defiantly keen on blue lowers though. The cerakoted holds up just as well has hard anodising both do scratch eventually though.
tom_202
5/12/2018 11:56am
Slosh 112 wrote:
Donnt cut the side panels i reckon they look terrible, go 280mm motostuff front brakes, matte clear fork upper look banging btw, carbon parts where possible...
Donnt cut the side panels i reckon they look terrible, go 280mm motostuff front brakes, matte clear fork upper look banging btw, carbon parts where possible, i built a pretty schmick rm125 not long ago. Ive got some trick parts on that rig if your keen to see, stocko engine and suspension for now but im going to do a KYB SSS conversion and bolt a lectron onto it straight after i give her a new frame ...
Cheers man. The number plates Will not be cut down. These look so good how they come. I will be chasing carbon parts for the bike. What do you have? The kyb sss will be a cool upgrade for yours. What clamps are you going to run? The yz ones?
bm201
5/12/2018 3:04pm
bm201 wrote:
Bikes look fantastic so far! Any mods you plan to do to the motor? Maybe Eric Gorr 144? Vforce? Bills cone pipe? I think JGR yellow...
tom_202 wrote:
Thanks mate. I’ll keep it the stock Suzuki shape as I love the style of these plastic these bikes look like proper motocross bike i think...
Thanks mate. I’ll keep it the stock Suzuki shape as I love the style of these plastic these bikes look like proper motocross bike i think. I’ll be keeping as a 125 motor but it has been really worked with porting cases and carb. It’s making the best out of what Suzuki has to offer without going to a lectron. I really like the yellow uppers but still undecided. I do have a kashima set with green lowers I could use but still thinking something different. Defiantly keen on blue lowers though. The cerakoted holds up just as well has hard anodising both do scratch eventually though.
I myself am a kashima/blue tini guy! I’m sure whatever you decide it will be sweet!
tom_202
5/12/2018 5:12pm
bm201 wrote:
tom_202 wrote:
Thanks mate. I’ll keep it the stock Suzuki shape as I love the style of these plastic these bikes look like proper motocross bike i think...
bm201 wrote:
I myself am a kashima/blue tini guy! I’m sure whatever you decide it will be sweet! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/12/261061/s1200_DEBF555A_AAB5_4BC6_B9F3_1F5858CFBF46.jpg[/img]
I myself am a kashima/blue tini guy! I’m sure whatever you decide it will be sweet!
Man that looks sweet. Don’t see many ktm’s with that setup.
Slosh 112
5/14/2018 5:52am
tom_202 wrote:
Cheers man. The number plates Will not be cut down. These look so good how they come. I will be chasing carbon parts for the bike...
Cheers man. The number plates Will not be cut down. These look so good how they come. I will be chasing carbon parts for the bike. What do you have? The kyb sss will be a cool upgrade for yours. What clamps are you going to run? The yz ones?

Here mine when I first built it two years ago, put 5 hours on it and found the lower frame rails were paper thin from rust. Sat in the shed until I found a donor frame for it two months ago, it needs a new sticker kit for my new number and to make it look like my other race bike but im waiting on a shattered ankle to heal so I can re-re-build it haha.

Carbon parts I have, Lightspeed: Chain guide & skid plate. Pro Carbon: frame guards. Zeta carbon: front brake line guide, Extreme carbon: rear shock protector flap. I would 100% avoid Lightspeed carbon fibre, took me almost 4 months to get the skid plate with no explanation and I got a KX chain guide instead of the RMZ one that I ordered the bag was labelled right from them but had the wrong part in it.

Don't know about clamps yet, I'll measure up the RMZ Ride Engineering clamps I have on now and see what the difference is, I'd like to keep them because they where expensive and already had the mount for the Honda steering damper I fitted but I'm thinking I'll probably have to graft a whole YZ front end if I want the SSS, or just fully kit out the Showa stuff or just leave it and finish my new husky hahaha.
tom_202
5/14/2018 12:25pm
tom_202 wrote:
Cheers man. The number plates Will not be cut down. These look so good how they come. I will be chasing carbon parts for the bike...
Slosh 112 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/14/261492/s1200_image.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/14/261493/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Here mine when I first built it two years ago, put 5 hours on it and found the lower frame rails were paper thin...

Here mine when I first built it two years ago, put 5 hours on it and found the lower frame rails were paper thin from rust. Sat in the shed until I found a donor frame for it two months ago, it needs a new sticker kit for my new number and to make it look like my other race bike but im waiting on a shattered ankle to heal so I can re-re-build it haha.

Carbon parts I have, Lightspeed: Chain guide & skid plate. Pro Carbon: frame guards. Zeta carbon: front brake line guide, Extreme carbon: rear shock protector flap. I would 100% avoid Lightspeed carbon fibre, took me almost 4 months to get the skid plate with no explanation and I got a KX chain guide instead of the RMZ one that I ordered the bag was labelled right from them but had the wrong part in it.

Don't know about clamps yet, I'll measure up the RMZ Ride Engineering clamps I have on now and see what the difference is, I'd like to keep them because they where expensive and already had the mount for the Honda steering damper I fitted but I'm thinking I'll probably have to graft a whole YZ front end if I want the SSS, or just fully kit out the Showa stuff or just leave it and finish my new husky hahaha.
Haha yeah man I read your build a while ago hey came up so good. Looks so different but cool as. Don’t even get me started with lightspeed I never ended up get any of my carbon parts form them. It’s hard to find good parts here in Aus sometimes. I’m
Buying a set of showa a kit but I’m thinking I’ll mount it on my RM250 to actually use it to ride. That frees up a full RMZ spring fork front end to put on this 125. It’s already kashima coated and tini dark green lowers looks awesome. Also has oversize galfer and sanded down stock clamps that look really good. I’ve got a couple of sets of RMZ forks and front ends around one set of showa spring forks the other is sff spring fork kashima coated and dlc lowers if anyone wants to buy some. They are used few marks in the kashima but fresh service and work good still.

This 125 when finished won’t be ridden anymore I’ve put 30 hours on it since the first build raced a QLD 125 mx National on it. Now it’s having a final build and will be a show bike.

Hope the ankle heals up quick man have a good one
tom_202
5/14/2018 12:31pm
These are the forks I’ll probably run. They are RMZ showa 47mm spring forks similar to the standard RM forks. The RMZ stuff I’ve been told by all the local suspension guys has better bottoming technology. Everything has been replaced in these forks I’ll try to find the list of mods these got
DJV804
5/14/2018 3:23pm
Do you have someone that can do the flo-yellow upper fork tubes? I was trying to find someone who could do it for a buddy last year and had no luck.
Andy7
Fantasy
1292nd
5/14/2018 6:14pm
tom_202 wrote:
These are the forks I’ll probably run. They are RMZ showa 47mm spring forks similar to the standard RM forks. The RMZ stuff I’ve been told...
These are the forks I’ll probably run. They are RMZ showa 47mm spring forks similar to the standard RM forks. The RMZ stuff I’ve been told by all the local suspension guys has better bottoming technology. Everything has been replaced in these forks I’ll try to find the list of mods these got
That´s sooo nice!!
kwenske321
5/14/2018 10:55pm
tom_202 wrote:
These are the forks I’ll probably run. They are RMZ showa 47mm spring forks similar to the standard RM forks. The RMZ stuff I’ve been told...
Bikes look awesome! Where do you get the black lower wrap for protecting the fork coating?
tom_202
5/15/2018 12:20am
DJV804 wrote:
Do you have someone that can do the flo-yellow upper fork tubes? I was trying to find someone who could do it for a buddy last...
Do you have someone that can do the flo-yellow upper fork tubes? I was trying to find someone who could do it for a buddy last year and had no luck.
Yeah I do I have a set of the yellow like the JGR bikes. A grade anodising in Australia can do it
tom_202
5/15/2018 12:22am
tom_202 wrote:
kwenske321 wrote:
Bikes look awesome! Where do you get the black lower wrap for protecting the fork coating?
Little secret here haha. Just get some black electrical tape and run it round a few times just make it really neat and they look exactly like the factory KYB protectors
5/15/2018 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2018 5:31pm
tom_202 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/12/260986/s1200_7F6FA18F_83CE_4E02_B8E7_79ED70C6249F.jpg[/img]
I’m pretty sure I remember getting my ass kicked out at qmp by you one this bike ?.
Also spoke to you for a bit at the Coolum round of the shell series. Here’s a few pictures of my 07 cr125 with all the suspension and coating work done by moto kote also

tom_202
5/16/2018 1:18am
tom_202 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/05/12/260986/s1200_7F6FA18F_83CE_4E02_B8E7_79ED70C6249F.jpg[/img]
Bbyrne464 wrote:
I’m pretty sure I remember getting my ass kicked out at qmp by you one this bike ?. Also spoke to you for a bit at...
I’m pretty sure I remember getting my ass kicked out at qmp by you one this bike ?.
Also spoke to you for a bit at the Coolum round of the shell series. Here’s a few pictures of my 07 cr125 with all the suspension and coating work done by moto kote also

Man your CR looks awesome. Yeah I remember talking to you at coolum sunny state. I’m always at qmp so im sure I would have seen you there. I’ll be heading there not this weekend the one after should head out as well
5/16/2018 2:19am
tom_202 wrote:
Bbyrne464 wrote:
I’m pretty sure I remember getting my ass kicked out at qmp by you one this bike ?. Also spoke to you for a bit at...

tom_202 wrote:
Man your CR looks awesome. Yeah I remember talking to you at coolum sunny state. I’m always at qmp so im sure I would have seen...
Man your CR looks awesome. Yeah I remember talking to you at coolum sunny state. I’m always at qmp so im sure I would have seen you there. I’ll be heading there not this weekend the one after should head out as well
Yeah dude if I get the CR running right I’ll head out probably on the Saturday
blackdiamond
5/17/2018 12:52am Edited Date/Time 5/17/2018 8:50am
No titanium?
tom_202
5/17/2018 1:41am
No titanium?
Umm righto. I work away be home in a week to get photos of some more of ti and parts I have. Not much comes close to your builds though. Shit takes a fair while to arrive in Australia as well. I’ll post some photos of porting, case matching and carb mods when I’m home.
blackdiamond
5/17/2018 8:51am
tom_202 wrote:
Umm righto. I work away be home in a week to get photos of some more of ti and parts I have. Not much comes close...
Umm righto. I work away be home in a week to get photos of some more of ti and parts I have. Not much comes close to your builds though. Shit takes a fair while to arrive in Australia as well. I’ll post some photos of porting, case matching and carb mods when I’m home.
I'm not trying to be a jackass or draw conclusions of any kind, just pointing out the obvious.
tom_202
5/17/2018 12:41pm
tom_202 wrote:
Umm righto. I work away be home in a week to get photos of some more of ti and parts I have. Not much comes close...
I'm not trying to be a jackass or draw conclusions of any kind, just pointing out the obvious.
Your all good man. Don’t worry lots of ti, carbon and other cool things on its way
tom_202
5/22/2018 2:37am
99% of titanium is on its way. Carbon is ordered. Frame is being re powdered and exhaust is on its way. Will get some more photos up as things arrive.

Post a reply to: RM125 2004. Full tilt titanium, coatings

The Latest