Put some make up on the blue pig

3/19/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 7:17pm
**WARNING** Picture heavy

Well this is it guys, what you're about to see might be the last bike I build for myself. My kids are starting to get into moto and I feel the next few years the budget will be going into their bikes.

Usually I concentrate on parts and mods that make me go faster. This time, I'm going for looks. You won't see clown puke graphics and funky anodized parts though, just some subtle touches and attention to detail that make it look like a race bike. A few parts should have an impact on feel and performance, but it was not necessarily the goal.

It all started with a stock 2018 YZ450F. I rode it exactly 3 times before winter set in, last of which was in a mud bath. It was enough to get a feel for the bike though, and figure that it was just fine as it is.

But I couldn't help myself, I had to do something. First thing I did was to tear her down for a good clean up and liberal application of grease and the usual new bike prep. While I had the swingarm and linkage off, I cleaned them up and removed the casting marks. The frame got cleaned up as well.

Chain adjustment bolts were swapped out for Ti, Works Connection axle blocks were used. I even made my own carbon fiber chain guide, adorned with Ti hardware.

Out front, I installed a GYT-R brake hose and Works Connection clutch perch with CR lever. Both the clutch and brake perches are attached with Ti bolts.

Ti was used in other locations, like the Zeus fastener on the airbox and seat bolts.

Engine wise, Ti bolts keep the side covers in place. Clutch cover was replaced with a black Boyesen unit. A new case guard was made in carbon fiber.

I also installed a Rocket slip on. I opted for a black hard anodized body and custom muffler sticker kit in light blue, to match the E-Sticky graphics kit.

Gold chain and Dirt Tricks Zirconium sprocket look very good against the blue rims.

In the suspension department, I salvaged the PSF kit forks from my previous bike. After all, they have no more than 5 hours on them. Carbon fiber sleeves combined with a Cycra front number plate should protect the upper tubes from roost. Fork and triple clamps pinch bolts are all Ti, as well as the brake caliper hanger bolts. The rear is stock at the moment, but it felt too soft. I will modify the shock later on with new valving and a few parts I have on hand.

And the full bike looks like this

I found a brand new, 2015 KTM 50SX mini last fall, so naturally Santa brought it home. It received graphics that match mine, a blue seat cover and Pro Taper Micro bars. Sorry for the bad colors in the pictures, they were taken early in the shoot and my camera wasn't set properly. I really like the second picture though, would make for a cool Pro Taper ad I think.

While I was ruining my lungs cutting carbon fiber, I made a chain guide out of it for the mini. You know, for weight reduction.

That's it. I hope you enjoyed!
|
JWACK
3/19/2018 6:50pm
I love it man!!! Absolute beauty.
Good on you for being an awesome dad too!
swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3742nd
3/19/2018 6:52pm
Oh man. You really outdid yourself. Both look amazing.
Zycki11
3/19/2018 7:24pm
glorious
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
3/19/2018 7:33pm
Yes Id have to agree killer job!!! Garage setup is on point too.

Glad I was able to save you some Money on the build

The Shop

ledger
3/19/2018 8:26pm
What a beauty, love the first pic with graphics. Perfect.
3/19/2018 9:03pm
very nice!!

Btw Sports Tardif c'est pas dans le bout de vallée-jonction sa?
mxb2
3/19/2018 9:34pm
Yzf is badazz, ride review stock. Vs. Now? Please.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
3/19/2018 9:41pm
Bitchen dude!!!!! That yz is badass!!!
Pirate421
3/20/2018 2:40am Edited Date/Time 3/20/2018 2:41am
Love the look of those new yz’s. Best looking stock bike. Post up a ride review
Lynch
3/20/2018 3:49am
Bike looks so good!
3/20/2018 6:50am
I can't believe you'll trough it into the mud in few weeks. Good job!
3/20/2018 7:15am
Sheriff245 wrote:
**WARNING** Picture heavy Well this is it guys, what you're about to see might be the last bike I build for myself. My kids are starting...
**WARNING** Picture heavy

Well this is it guys, what you're about to see might be the last bike I build for myself. My kids are starting to get into moto and I feel the next few years the budget will be going into their bikes.

Usually I concentrate on parts and mods that make me go faster. This time, I'm going for looks. You won't see clown puke graphics and funky anodized parts though, just some subtle touches and attention to detail that make it look like a race bike. A few parts should have an impact on feel and performance, but it was not necessarily the goal.

It all started with a stock 2018 YZ450F. I rode it exactly 3 times before winter set in, last of which was in a mud bath. It was enough to get a feel for the bike though, and figure that it was just fine as it is.

But I couldn't help myself, I had to do something. First thing I did was to tear her down for a good clean up and liberal application of grease and the usual new bike prep. While I had the swingarm and linkage off, I cleaned them up and removed the casting marks. The frame got cleaned up as well.

Chain adjustment bolts were swapped out for Ti, Works Connection axle blocks were used. I even made my own carbon fiber chain guide, adorned with Ti hardware.

Out front, I installed a GYT-R brake hose and Works Connection clutch perch with CR lever. Both the clutch and brake perches are attached with Ti bolts.

Ti was used in other locations, like the Zeus fastener on the airbox and seat bolts.

Engine wise, Ti bolts keep the side covers in place. Clutch cover was replaced with a black Boyesen unit. A new case guard was made in carbon fiber.

I also installed a Rocket slip on. I opted for a black hard anodized body and custom muffler sticker kit in light blue, to match the E-Sticky graphics kit.

Gold chain and Dirt Tricks Zirconium sprocket look very good against the blue rims.

In the suspension department, I salvaged the PSF kit forks from my previous bike. After all, they have no more than 5 hours on them. Carbon fiber sleeves combined with a Cycra front number plate should protect the upper tubes from roost. Fork and triple clamps pinch bolts are all Ti, as well as the brake caliper hanger bolts. The rear is stock at the moment, but it felt too soft. I will modify the shock later on with new valving and a few parts I have on hand.

And the full bike looks like this

I found a brand new, 2015 KTM 50SX mini last fall, so naturally Santa brought it home. It received graphics that match mine, a blue seat cover and Pro Taper Micro bars. Sorry for the bad colors in the pictures, they were taken early in the shoot and my camera wasn't set properly. I really like the second picture though, would make for a cool Pro Taper ad I think.

While I was ruining my lungs cutting carbon fiber, I made a chain guide out of it for the mini. You know, for weight reduction.

That's it. I hope you enjoyed!
Nice choice with Phillip at e-sticky been using him for almost ten years and never had as issue my 09 crf450 still has the graphics he did in 09 for it and they still look amazing
3/20/2018 8:27am
Damn, such a clean and sick looking bike!

What’d you use to hold the carbon fork sleeves in place? My friend had a pair and dirt go behind them and scuffed the Kashima coating.
mxb2
3/20/2018 9:03am
Damn, such a clean and sick looking bike! What’d you use to hold the carbon fork sleeves in place? My friend had a pair and dirt...
Damn, such a clean and sick looking bike!

What’d you use to hold the carbon fork sleeves in place? My friend had a pair and dirt go behind them and scuffed the Kashima coating.
Black electrical tape works, keeps them from moving also.
3/20/2018 9:30am
DTR830 wrote:

Thanks a lot for the help!

Thank you all for the good words. I'll try to answer to your questions/comments.

JWACK, I have to admit I was inspired by your YZ250 build. Not always sure about the dad comment though, I feel guilty every time he crashes!

Arrowangel, yes, en plein coeur de la Beauce. Best dealership out there.

mxb2, I will post a ride review when I get the chance to ride. It will be at least a month before the tracks open here. Apart from the forks I don't expect much difference compared to how it was stock though.

charley586, can't wait to get it dirty! (maybe not)

suzukirmz250, yeah Phil did an outstanding job as always. He seems to make it exactly how I want it even when I don't know what I want myself.

TrailDigger, like mxb2 said, sealed all around with electrical tape. I put a layer of tape underneath the sleeves on both ends too.
mxb2
3/20/2018 11:16am
DTR830 wrote:

Sheriff245 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the help! Thank you all for the good words. I'll try to answer to your questions/comments. JWACK, I have to admit I...

Thank you all for the good words. I'll try to answer to your questions/comments.

JWACK, I have to admit I was inspired by your YZ250 build. Not always sure about the dad comment though, I feel guilty every time he crashes!

mxb2, I will post a ride review when I get the chance to ride. It will be at least a month before the tracks open here. Apart from the forks I don't expect much difference compared to how it was stock though.

suzukirmz250, yeah Phil did an outstanding job as always. He seems to make it exactly how I want it even when I don't know what I want myself.

TrailDigger, like mxb2 said, sealed all around with electrical tape. I put a layer of tape underneath the sleeves on both ends too.
Thanks sheriff245. Looking forward to review.
3/20/2018 11:23am
DTR830 wrote:

Sheriff245 wrote:
Thanks a lot for the help! Thank you all for the good words. I'll try to answer to your questions/comments. JWACK, I have to admit I...

If you're affraid to get it dirty I can't take the dirty task no problem!!!
3/20/2018 3:44pm
charley586 wrote:
If you're affraid to get it dirty I can't take the dirty task no problem!!!
Yeah... no.
5/7/2018 10:12am
Some of you wanted a ride report, I finally got to try the beast this weekend. First ride in 6 months, so I took it easy, but I must say I felt surprisingly comfortable. I used a smooth engine map and played a little with the clickers in the front. The track was really rough but the bike was very stable and smooth.

I have a bit more work to do on the suspension to have it where I want it, but nothing major. The Ti bolts on the chain guard were loose when I washed the bike. I'll put loctite on them. Apart from that, I'm very happy with this bike!

My son also rode his new bike for the first time. The difference in power was more than I expected and he wasn't comfortable at first. After a day he was about the same speed as he was on his PW, but at the end of day 2 he was feeling very comfortable.
mxb2
5/7/2018 8:02pm
Sheriff245 wrote:
Some of you wanted a ride report, I finally got to try the beast this weekend. First ride in 6 months, so I took it easy...
Some of you wanted a ride report, I finally got to try the beast this weekend. First ride in 6 months, so I took it easy, but I must say I felt surprisingly comfortable. I used a smooth engine map and played a little with the clickers in the front. The track was really rough but the bike was very stable and smooth.

I have a bit more work to do on the suspension to have it where I want it, but nothing major. The Ti bolts on the chain guard were loose when I washed the bike. I'll put loctite on them. Apart from that, I'm very happy with this bike!

My son also rode his new bike for the first time. The difference in power was more than I expected and he wasn't comfortable at first. After a day he was about the same speed as he was on his PW, but at the end of day 2 he was feeling very comfortable.
Nice, hows the power compared to other bikes you have owned. Or ridden?
shuggs
5/9/2018 9:41pm
TI & carbon, how can it not look good.....
5/11/2018 6:53am
Sheriff245 wrote:
Some of you wanted a ride report, I finally got to try the beast this weekend. First ride in 6 months, so I took it easy...

mxb2 wrote:
This is only my third 450 and the first one was almost a decade ago so I’ll tell you how it compares to my 2016 YZ. Basically it has a similar powerband in the low end, maybe a bit more snappy, but it pulls forever. The over rev is impressive for a 450. At first I felt a little hole in the midrange, but the Preston map took care of it.
mxb2
5/11/2018 1:15pm
Sheriff245 wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
Sheriff245 wrote:
This is only my third 450 and the first one was almost a decade ago so I’ll tell you how it compares to my 2016 YZ...
This is only my third 450 and the first one was almost a decade ago so I’ll tell you how it compares to my 2016 YZ. Basically it has a similar powerband in the low end, maybe a bit more snappy, but it pulls forever. The over rev is impressive for a 450. At first I felt a little hole in the midrange, but the Preston map took care of it.
Thanks again. Good info.
Andy7
Fantasy
1292nd
5/11/2018 7:17pm
Very nice build!

Post a reply to: Put some make up on the blue pig

The Latest