New to Pit Bikes? 2018 Pitster Pro LXR 190F Build/Assembly

Whymee
Edited Date/Time 3/26/2018 1:34pm
Yes I realize that this is a little different than what usually is posted on vital. A build on a Chinese pit bike. I never imagined myself with one of these in my stable. But here we are!

I seen a pit bike race at Unadillia a few weeks ago and decided that this is something I wanted to try. So here I sit with a delivery of a Pitster Pro LXR190F 14/12 in my driveway last Friday.

I bought this over a build up of a KLX110 (or similar type) for a couple reasons. For what I was getting for 2500 bux I could not duplicate with a Jap build. Not even close. A built up 110 at 190cc I do no think will be reliable either. Who knows, this machine may be a complete turd. I suppose that is to be determined. Also the specs at Pitsters website. It seems like I am getting a lot of standard equipment that is stock, compared to other machines in this cc/price point range. Plus I am getting a 5 speed tranny and electric start.

This was purchased from:

Shawn Lowe

The Pitbike Dr.
2127 Dayton Rd
Newark , OH 43055
740-345-5693

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MxpitbikeDR/

Shawn seemed to be very knowledgeable and answered my questions with what I consider a authoritative manor. Seemed to know his way around a Chinese machine. I hope he did not steer me wrong! It is also quite possible that I did not ask the right questions. More on this in a later installment.

http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/specs/id/87

This is how the bike arrived.

As you can see, the bottom of the crate is pretty mangled. This could have been avoided by using stand offs on the bottom of the crate so the fork lift could get under it. As it is now the bottom of the crate sits flush with ground. The fork lift operator just plunged in from the side. Lucky no damage was found. Thanks Old Dominion, and some of the blame has to go to Pitster for a sub-par crate design.

Also of note: Right off the bat I spotted a missing tank shroud... I thought... REALLY?

I uncrated the machine and put it on my lift.

The pieces parts were securely fastened to the crate and were well protected. No dents or scratches were present. I was surprised, considering the damage to the very mangled, very thin gauge crate.

The assembly

Be forewarned. Although there is an owners manual, it says nothing about the assembly process. Actually it says a bunch of stuff, none of which I have used as this has been typed. Pretty useless. You do get a screwdriver and a spark plug extracting tool. Oh and a pouch for the tools. Smile

Oh, seems like the factory decided to go on a cost cutting spree by not welding nuts on the frame. Some fasteners that go through the frame you have to fiddle with a nut.. tisk tisk... Sad Speaking of bolts, I hate allen bolts. I really do. They pack up with dirt & are a PITA to get out in the field. This machine is littered with metric allens. The heads of other bolts are 8, 10, 12, one 13 (kickstarter), 14, 17, 19 and 27 mm bolts/nuts.

When you buy a Chinese machine, you the end user, are the setup mechanic. Every nut and bolt needs checked, as well as all bearings need greased. I am not going into the set up process in general. Although there are some items that are worth mentioning.

The rear brake pedal needs to be massaged for my taste. As of right now I cannot see how the spring would work. I am in the process of modding that. While we are on the subject of brake pedal, there is an extreme amount of play in the rear brake master clevis to pedal pin. I ended up machining a new larger diameter pin & drilling out the clevis. There is an excessive amount of play in the pedal to frame mounting area. For right now I am living with this.

Check the valves. Mine were tight as hell. Set to 4 thousandths intake and 6 exhaust.

Whoever thought up of the front number plate mounting must have had a hangover. Two brackets and six bolts later and I was ready for a shot myself!

The seat has 3 bolts to remove. The rear fender is bolted onto the back of the seat. Seems like a better design could be had. You have to remove the seat for shock dampening changes (compression).

I center drilled the rear axle & swingarm bolt so I could align the rear wheel with the swingarm pivot bolt.

Not really happy with the shifter. Seems like it is going to be in the way of my boot. Or the boot is going to be in the way of the shifter. I will ride the bike & make a decision.

I took off the kick starter. Seems like the kicker will get in the way of the boot. I have an electric spinner anyway, right?

Does come with Pro Taper grips, and Maxxis intermediate tires. Oh, as an added bonus, included at no extra charge, a NGK CR9E! Woo hoo!

This bike does have a key ignition. It is also wired for lights. I plan on eliminating as much wiring as possible, that is if I like the bike on the track. I also want to replace the oil in the forks as well as the brake fluid in the very near future.

Also I am replacing the chain with my fav brand Regina. I noticed some of the bikes that raced at 'Dillia, had a high chain failure rate. There were several new bikes there, sold at the track by a vendor. Brand SSR.

As I stated earlier, I am missing the left tank shroud and graphics. I also found a front brake caliper bolt missing. Texted Shawn today & he said he would get right on it! Good man...

Only thing left to do is change out the fish oil in the tranny and fire it up.

This pic is of this writing. No protective paper has been taken off the graphics yet...

I do have some other issues, but I will wait until I call the manufacturer. Will be back when I have more to report!

|
9/10/2017 10:08am
I have the exact same bike with the crf110 style plastics, they are a great reliable bike my 190 is a year old and still runs mint with proper maintenance and it the only pit bike that runs a similar to big bike suspension you will be happy,for a 190 it flies
Whymee
9/10/2017 10:16am
I have the exact same bike with the crf110 style plastics, they are a great reliable bike my 190 is a year old and still runs...
I have the exact same bike with the crf110 style plastics, they are a great reliable bike my 190 is a year old and still runs mint with proper maintenance and it the only pit bike that runs a similar to big bike suspension you will be happy,for a 190 it flies
Since you have one of these:

What oil filter you run? Something local?

Does the CRF110 plastics fit? I was wanting to change it up a bit. Just wondering if the tank, fenders & side panels were an exact fit.

Any other words of wisdom? I am ALL ears!!

Thanks in advance for the info. I am a newbie here!!!
9/10/2017 12:09pm
My friend had an SSR and it took one big dump at once. We were riding in a field just up the road from my house and both the engine bolts just broke from vibration so the engine was falling out and turning sideways. Then the header came disconnected from the muffler and sounded so loud it was funny. Then the rear brakes started locking up and finally the chain literally broke in half. And that all happened heading after about 1 mile from noticing the engine issue and we were about halfway home and it finally snapped its chain. I just couldn't help but laugh that all that stuff went bad all at once while riding at the worst time possible. We just rode home and grabbed the truck and picked him up and his bike in which I then fixed a few days later.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
9/10/2017 1:47pm
My friend had an SSR and it took one big dump at once. We were riding in a field just up the road from my house...
My friend had an SSR and it took one big dump at once. We were riding in a field just up the road from my house and both the engine bolts just broke from vibration so the engine was falling out and turning sideways. Then the header came disconnected from the muffler and sounded so loud it was funny. Then the rear brakes started locking up and finally the chain literally broke in half. And that all happened heading after about 1 mile from noticing the engine issue and we were about halfway home and it finally snapped its chain. I just couldn't help but laugh that all that stuff went bad all at once while riding at the worst time possible. We just rode home and grabbed the truck and picked him up and his bike in which I then fixed a few days later.
Share you fixing it then

The Shop

Whymee
9/10/2017 2:57pm
So I Dumped out the stock fish oil and replaced it with Rotella T 15-40. Fired right up & after a idle screw adjustment, sat on the stand and purred like a kitten.

I am surprised on the exhaust note and throttle response (on the stand). Sounds and feels just like my 250F. Of course I do not expect it to run like it. It does sound good though!

Trying to find a spot for the hour meter. I shall sleep on it.

I have been under the weather for the past week or so, so I really do not feel like riding right now. Hopefully sometime this week.

'Till I have more...
ledger
9/10/2017 4:01pm
Cool little bike that will make for a lot of fun. What year Trans Am if you don't mind ?
9/10/2017 5:04pm
I have the exact same bike with the crf110 style plastics, they are a great reliable bike my 190 is a year old and still runs...
Whymee wrote:
Since you have one of these: What oil filter you run? Something local? Does the CRF110 plastics fit? I was wanting to change it up a...
Since you have one of these:

What oil filter you run? Something local?

Does the CRF110 plastics fit? I was wanting to change it up a bit. Just wondering if the tank, fenders & side panels were an exact fit.

Any other words of wisdom? I am ALL ears!!

Thanks in advance for the info. I am a newbie here!!!
My pitster pro came like that from UPOWER in Europe the race and specially build pitster pros
9/10/2017 5:50pm
imoto34 wrote:
Share you fixing it then
That was a while ago. He since sold it for 300 dollars. It was a 2015 0r 14 125 model. I still have the broken bolts laying around somewhere.
Whymee
9/10/2017 6:16pm
ledger wrote:
Cool little bike that will make for a lot of fun. What year Trans Am if you don't mind ?
76 Trans am. I have a LS3 and a 5 speed with a wet clutch in it.

9/11/2017 6:12am
Whymee wrote:
So I Dumped out the stock fish oil and replaced it with Rotella T 15-40. Fired right up & after a idle screw adjustment, sat on...
So I Dumped out the stock fish oil and replaced it with Rotella T 15-40. Fired right up & after a idle screw adjustment, sat on the stand and purred like a kitten.

I am surprised on the exhaust note and throttle response (on the stand). Sounds and feels just like my 250F. Of course I do not expect it to run like it. It does sound good though!

Trying to find a spot for the hour meter. I shall sleep on it.

I have been under the weather for the past week or so, so I really do not feel like riding right now. Hopefully sometime this week.

'Till I have more...
Your going to be surprised when you ride it ,those 190 motor have alot of jam , it's alot if motor in a small package ,did you get the Daytona 190 motor ?
Whymee
9/11/2017 12:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2017 1:04pm
Your going to be surprised when you ride it ,those 190 motor have alot of jam , it's alot if motor in a small package ,did...
Your going to be surprised when you ride it ,those 190 motor have alot of jam , it's alot if motor in a small package ,did you get the Daytona 190 motor ?
No Daytona motor. Zongshen or words to that effect.

The Daytona, although a 4 valve, does not have a 5 speed and electric start. The Zongshen's tranny is 1 down 4 up. I likie that feature. Electric start to boot. If I need more oomph a Daytona 212 kit & a 4 valve head will be in order (I was told this SHOULD work). Seems I am getting a lot of answers that end in "this should work"!

Another reason I went with the Zongshen is the previously mentioned electric start. I have read of many side cases broken on the larger displacement motors. Seems on the bigger motors you have a certain way to kick start the motor. Something like bring it just past TDC & kick with authority. If you are weak with the kick these motors are also kicking back & destroying the cases/kicker gears too. Now this is what I have read on the interwebs. We all know there is nothing but truth on the internet...

I am looking for another intake manifold / air cleaner. This air cleaner is not up to my standards. So far I am coming up empty. Maybe a straighter shot/shorter manifold would give me more room for another type air cleaner. The search continues.

Anybody have a good online vendor to view/buy from? I am having a hard time finding vendors for this type of machine. Even Pitsters website does not have an online parts fische for this bike. Too new I was told.

I did figure out a place for the hour meter this morning. A good nights sleep always brings things into perspective.

kijen
9/11/2017 5:47pm
Not sure how current it is but hit up planetminis.com, good pitbike forum with vendors that support most of these brands.

I had a pitster 150 a few year ago, kid and I had a blast on it. As you found out, I also changed out a bunch of fasteners.
Buckit
9/12/2017 9:06am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2018 2:56pm
I have been testing this same engine in my CT-70 Chassis for the past 6 months, have about 2100 miles on it now. It makes good power with a lot of bottom end. Its been pretty good thus far. Its not as fast as the Daytona 190, but its also several hundred dollars cheaper.

Daytona has a 4-speed E-start 190 (4v) they are getting ready to release this fall. The 5 speed Daytona tried as a kit with new trans and case halves but had reoccurring issues with cracking the cases on down shifts and discontinued the parts.... That said your ZS is not immune from the kickback/crack cases issue you mention about the Daytona version. I suggest running a digital CDI that retards the timing for start-up and helps decrease kickback. Also DO NOT give it any gas while kicking it and if the kicker wants to come back up, be in a position that will allow for your leg to get out of the way, or at least able to ride the kickstart back up.

The 4v head and 212 kit will fit the zonger bottom end but the heads are expensive to piece together and is upwards of $1000 extra in the parts

The Intake is going to be difficult to find, Wholesale-cycle has 1 other option that will fit but otherwise cutting and welding will be the only way.

Wholesale-cycle
TBolt USA
^^^^ are going to be your best option for aftermarket/cross referenced parts. But Pitster should be able to get you everything you need, just might require you calling up there to get it over the phone v.s their website.
Whymee
9/12/2017 10:25am
Thanks for the post BuckIt. Always good to hear from somebody "in the know"!

That is one reason I decided on E start. I already took my kick starter off.

Where would I source this digital CDI? Link please!?

Mucho Thanks in advance.
Buckit
9/12/2017 11:15am
Links below: same parts but I will provide both knowing tbolt advertises in Vital

http://wholesale-cycle.com/product/4192/Digital-5-pin-CDI/

https://tboltusa.com/store/trc-ez-start-high-performance-cdi-p-9745.html

Intake: http://wholesale-cycle.com/product/6190/P190-4V-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-2017/

^^after looking at the photos I don't think this will make your carb/filter fitment any better

--------

I haven't had much luck finding a better shifter that will fit around the stator cover.

>If you have not already, pull the stem out of the frame and grease the taper bearings, any pivots or axle really.
>hit the wheels with a spoke wrench and do that 2-3 more times the next couple rides.
> make sure the crankcase vent hose is unimpeded - they build quite a bit of crankcase pressure and will push oil out other places if the hose is not wide open
>LOCKTIGHT- nothing has lock tight on it - and any of those chrome Allen head bolts will rust if water is allowed to settle in them (You mentioned replacing these anyway - highly suggested)
> trimming the harness is pretty self explanatory
>that hour meter mount looks like a good way to get stiches put in your leg, I double-side tape them to the top of the oil cooler.

Have Fun!
Whymee
9/12/2017 3:46pm
BuckIt,

I really appreciate sharing you knowledge about these machines. Keep those words of wisdom coming.

I have popped off the wheel bearing seals & applied grease to those. Along with the Hiems in the shock, swing arm bolt and axles have been greased. Stem bearings s well.

Good catch on the spokes. Have not touched them, I had planned on massaging them after the first ride.

At this point I have not used Loctite on anything. I am waiting for the first ride in my field to see if this bike will be worth the effort of fastener replacement. I am not a big fan of loctite on my MX machines, OR Allen bolts.

I will reconsider my placement of the hour meter. More sleep is necessary! Smile
ledger
9/12/2017 10:46pm
ledger wrote:
Whymee wrote:
76 Trans am. I have a LS3 and a 5 speed with a wet clutch in it. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/10/214143/s1200_20160623_090544.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/10/214145/s1200_20160622_155620.jpg[/img]
76 Trans am. I have a LS3 and a 5 speed with a wet clutch in it.

She's a beauty !! Reminds me of high school and strawberry roll'n papers Silly ....dayum I'm old. Sad
Whymee
9/14/2017 5:34am
Strawberry huh? We could only afford Topps! LOL

I did take the bike out in a grassy field last night. Put about 7 minutes on it before I ran out of gas. BTW this does have a reserve petcock.
Seems to have some smoke. Did not really rev it out. Good bottom end from what I can tell. A healthy mid to boot. I will put on another heat cycle then test out the top end.

SO far it is a keeper!
Whymee
9/24/2017 2:30am
I have a top end miss. I am assuming it is electrical.

Any ideas on the miss? Happens around 5-7000 rpm. I suppose I need to start replacing the electrics. Coil, CDI, stator etc.

I am in the process of rewiring this bike. Getting rid of the ignition switch and left bar controls. Will be adding a right bar starter switch, and on the left bar a lighted toggle switch. In eliminating the left hand bard switches I can use my fav levers. ASV

Waiting on parts to arrive so I can test out the "miss" again.
Whymee
9/24/2017 6:02am
I hinted earlier that I might not have asked the right questions when purchasing sight unseen. Reason being I used the PitsterPro website as the basis of my research. http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/specs/id/87 The specs published on this website in no way match what I have in my garage.

From their web page:

Pro Clutch Perch W/ Quick Adjust and Folding Levers: Standard
Rear shock w/ dual high/low speed comp. adj. and rebound: Standard

FEATURES NOT FOUND ON OUR COMPETITION
Carburetion jetting kit: Standard
Integrated air box: Standard
Progressive Link Suspension: Standard (Shawn told me no linkage b4 I purchased)
Frame Guards: Standard
Stainless Steel Fasteners: Standard
Upper and lower chain roller wheels: Standard (no upper roller)

The above items are not present on my machine. Web sits says they are suppose to be there. Must have got lost in transit.

Other things wrong:

Came with a 28mm carb instead of a 26. (Jingke)
428 chain instead of a 420 (good thing)

I did call the factory and voice my displeasure. They said the web site was wrong. Yeah, obviously...

I do have a thread over at planet minis. http://planetminis.com/forums/chinese-import-minis-general-discussion/2…

Sorry, I just had to vent.

kijen
9/24/2017 10:49am
Just checked out their website, looks like they took a step backwards. Their bike from a few years agon had the linakge suspension and nicer parts. They were designing their own stuff for a while.

Whymee
9/28/2017 5:24pm
Hey Peeps,

Time for an update.

No wiring diagram was to be found for the LXR190F. So I Cut off the protective loom and drew my own. I proceeded to loose about a pound of wiring and all stock switches and keyed ignition were tossed. I had to toss the left handlebar switches because they interfered with the ASV pro perch I wanted to use. It was actually fun, and I only blew one fuse! LOL

I replaced the stock switches with a kill button on the left bar & a start button on the right. I am adding a lighted rocker switch to replace the keyed ignition switch. I still have 2 switches to come in (version 2 design) and then it will be complete. I also used chassis grounds instead of one ground wire that splits off to all the necessary electronic items (CDI, coil etc.). What a cluster Fu*k that was.

I also oiled my filter. Did not touch the carb. I did pull out the backfire screen that was in the filter.

I just rode it briefly this evening & my top end miss SEEMS to have vanished. Do not quite understand why. Updated wiring? Oiled filter? Backfire screen? Dono. Kinda puzzled in a good way.

The plan is to take it to High Point Raceway in PA. this Saturday & do some more jetting and suspension tuning. They are having a ride day in the morning with a vet race in the afternoon. Who knows I might race it against the modern machinery (250 & 450's) in the +55 class. Wouldn't that be a hoot!
11/19/2017 12:05am
any updates?

i rode a x2 140r 12/10 about daily for a year, then alternated it with an x5 155 14/12. they both ran for somewhere around a year with heavy, constant use. i did blow the stock rear shock on the 155, and eventually started having a bunch of issues with the 140r (which i should note is like 6 years old, bought it used and stored it a couple years before using heavily). i have no idea how many hours i have on the bikes, but it's a lot.

i'm 6'2 250lbs & love these bikes. i think i'm going to try to finally fix the 140r & sell it (moved where i have no land, so no real use), but i'll be holding onto the 155 until i eventually replace it with whatever their newest 190 is at the time.
dcg141
3/14/2018 10:00am
I'm selling these now and wondered if you had replaced the shifter? Was thinking possibly one from a KLX110 would work. Also have a customer wanting a quieter silencer. Has anyone played with the exhaust on them?
Whymee
3/15/2018 1:45pm
I have not done anything other than purchase a spare air filter, changed the oil ( I have 1.6 hrs. on it), swapped out the chain for a better built one, and rewired the whole machine.

I would say shifting is an adventure for my size 9's. I can only imagine a bigger foot in there. I have been using a custom "bend" in the stocker to accommodate my boot. Still tweaking it every time I ride. If you find a suitable replacement please do share.

Cokeham23
3/18/2018 6:17pm
Cool to see people still getting into pitbikes! I’ve been riding them about 10 years now. I started on KLX110’s, built a few then my buddy bought a KLX140 (Maddog bike), and I’ve been riding those since. They sit just slightly taller than a mod 110, and already have a good base to build off. You miss out on that peppy motor though. Those 190s are rockets compared to a KLX140, even with motor mods.

If you’re on Facebook, they have a planetminis group going now since the PM site kinda died off.
Take this with a grain of salt, but I haven’t heard great things about that “Pitbike Dr” guy. I’ve never dealt with him, but a few guys on the PM Facebook page have posted up not so good reviews of him.
Whymee
3/19/2018 1:06pm
Facebook, eh? I have mixed feelings with the "groups" that are on there. More to the point how the groups are structured. You cannot search for info on groups, seems to be my biggest peeve. The information seems to get lost or buried with frivolous posts.

I do like message boards. Searchable (usually with varied results), PDF files, ect. I suppose I am the older generation. I just cannot get into facebook groups even though I am a member of several. To me its just a way to waste time.

The person you mention, "The Pitbike Dr." has fallen short of my expectations on a couple occasions. I won't bad mouth the guy on any particular instance, but I do feel he could have had a couple better answers to my questions or concerns.

I will say the Pitster factory in Utah has been very good to deal with. Parts seem to be available at a reasonable price.

My biggest complaint stems from the horrible web site. Fisches are out of date. Cannot look up parts. Have to call them for everything. Not cool in this day & age.

I feel the biggest prob with the LXR190 is the china knock off carb of the Keihin. I will probably replace the stocker with the real deal at some point.
dcg141
3/19/2018 6:47pm
I ordered the airbox and a kickstand from Pisterpro. My customer wants it for his gf to trail ride. I also have a Hammerhead KLX 110 shifter coming. I will let you know if it works.
Whymee
3/20/2018 7:00am
I received an airbox from pitster also. My first hurdle with it was the rubber manifold (snorkel) between the box & the carb, was way too small to fit the carb. That stopped me dead in my tracks. I hope you have better luck.

Keep me in the loop, please.

Post a reply to: New to Pit Bikes? 2018 Pitster Pro LXR 190F Build/Assembly

The Latest