My first rebuild 04 yz125

Related:
Create New Tag

1/18/2018 12:23 AM

Well I finally pulled the trigger on giving my 125 some much needed love. I got this bike years ago from a friend for $800. It had a warped head and didn't run obviously. I rebuilt the top and bottom end, replaced the tires, chain and sprockets, had the suspension done, and a few other freebies from friends. It wasn't very pretty up close but it was a sleeper for sure. After racing it a few years it's time to get this project going.

I've been wanting to do this for a while and my local powdercoating shop needed help a couple of weekends ago so we made a deal.

I just tore it down and I plan on doing the frame, swingarm, subframe, triple clamps, and a few other smaller pieces semi gloss black. I have slowly buying parts here and there so I already have all the bearings for the chasis, restyled plastics and graphics, seat cover, and black d.i.d dirstar hoops. I plan on buying tusk spokes and Powdercoating the oem hubs metalic blue? Kinda want to find some oem wave rotors for it too.

I recently got sss suspension off an 06 yz250f so that will be getting set up for me as well.
This is a budget build as I mostly ride my 250 so there won't be too much bling being added. Mostly cleaning and replacing what needs to be replaced.

Here's the night I first brought it home.
Photo

After fixing it up the first time
Photo

Before the teardown

Photo

Photo

|

1/18/2018 7:39 AM

Here's the proofs of the graphics

Photo

|

1/18/2018 8:46 AM

Cleaning up partsPhoto

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

I still have a ways to go on the engine before I'm satisfied with it. I'm have a hard time getting the stains out of the flywheel cover. I don't think I want to rite dye it because I think I'm going to strip the clutch cover and leave it raw.

Anyone know which rite dye I should use?Photo

|

1/20/2018 11:08 PM

Looking good thus far....thanks for sharing.

|

1/25/2018 11:47 AM

Well the left one is concentrated so Id use that one.

|

1/26/2018 8:04 AM

Thank you. Parts are still at the coaters. I'm not in a rush for them as I keep my bikes at my folks house. Between that and working two jobs I can only get over there on the weekends.

|

2/14/2018 9:57 AM

Are you blasting or using elbow grease to clean parts? They look great!

|

2/15/2018 8:51 AM

Just using elbow grease and chemicals. I've been using purple power which I would never use on an assembled bike, and eagle mag wheel cleaner. The only parts I blasted were the ones that got sentry to pc, which I'm still waiting on. Pretty much done with cleaning. Just waiting on parts now.

|

3/24/2018 2:07 PM

Well after a few minor setbacks we finally got the parts shot today. After supercross I’m gonna get started on reassembly.

Photo

Photo

|

3/24/2018 11:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/24/2018 11:26 PM

Looks good! I’ve got a pc platinum pipe if you need one. I live in Rocklin

|

3/25/2018 11:58 PM

cclay47 wrote:

Looks good! I’ve got a pc platinum pipe if you need one. I live in Rocklin

Too bad it wasn’t for a 250. My platinum pc just shit the bed. I just put a whole bunch of effort into cleaning up my fmf gold series for the 125. I’m pretty happy with the performance out of the fmf. If I change my mind I’ll let you know.

|

3/26/2018 12:05 AM

Finally a legit update on the build! Got a lot done and it’s starting to look like a bike again!Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/26/2018 8:29 AM

cclay47 wrote:

Looks good! I’ve got a pc platinum pipe if you need one. I live in Rocklin

kpersonius264 wrote:

Too bad it wasn’t for a 250. My platinum pc just shit the bed. I just put a whole bunch of effort into cleaning up my fmf gold series for the 125. I’m pretty happy with the performance out of the fmf. If I change my mind I’ll let you know.

What kind of 250? I’ve got a bunch of YZ 250 pipes

|

3/26/2018 8:40 AM

17yz250

|

4/2/2018 7:41 AM

After a long weekend of riding in Southern California I came back to my radiator hoses waiting for me. As tired as I was I had to see how they looked on the bike. Photo

|

4/4/2018 8:50 AM

Slow progress is better than no progress.

Carb cleaned and rebuilt, added a new set of vent hoses. Photo

|

5/14/2018 7:50 AM

Getting pretty close to finishing this thing up. I have been ordering a ton of small things that isn’t anything noticeable but gives me piece of mind. Still waiting on my hubs. I need to get new bolts for the forks. Then all I will need is tires, chain and sprockets
PhotoPhoto

|

5/14/2018 8:58 AM

Looks good man!!

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/14/2018 10:30 AM

What tool/tools did you use for the bearings and races in your triple clamps? I'm doing my own kx250 and am curious what specialty tools everyone else is using

|

5/14/2018 10:42 AM

cclay47 wrote:

Looks good! I’ve got a pc platinum pipe if you need one. I live in Rocklin

kpersonius264 wrote:

Too bad it wasn’t for a 250. My platinum pc just shit the bed. I just put a whole bunch of effort into cleaning up my fmf gold series for the 125. I’m pretty happy with the performance out of the fmf. If I change my mind I’ll let you know.

cclay47 wrote:

What kind of 250? I’ve got a bunch of YZ 250 pipes

Still have some of them??

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

5/14/2018 3:21 PM

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

What tool/tools did you use for the bearings and races in your triple clamps? I'm doing my own kx250 and am curious what specialty tools everyone else is using

I put the races in the freezer and Used a propane torch to heat the frame. Then all I used was a socket that fit over the flat part of the race and tapped them in with a hammer.

For the bearing on the triple clamp I used a pipe that fit over the steering stem but fit on the solid part of the bearing ( can’t remember if it’s the inner or outer race without looking at it) and tapped it down.

Lmk if if you have any more questions.

|

5/16/2018 12:41 PM

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

What tool/tools did you use for the bearings and races in your triple clamps? I'm doing my own kx250 and am curious what specialty tools everyone else is using

kpersonius264 wrote:

I put the races in the freezer and Used a propane torch to heat the frame. Then all I used was a socket that fit over the flat part of the race and tapped them in with a hammer.

For the bearing on the triple clamp I used a pipe that fit over the steering stem but fit on the solid part of the bearing ( can’t remember if it’s the inner or outer race without looking at it) and tapped it down.

Lmk if if you have any more questions.

How did you remove the bearings and races?

|

5/16/2018 2:13 PM

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

What tool/tools did you use for the bearings and races in your triple clamps? I'm doing my own kx250 and am curious what specialty tools everyone else is using

This is a good one.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1056/57673/Motion-Pro-Steering-Stem-Bearing-Tool

|

6/21/2018 8:12 AM

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

What tool/tools did you use for the bearings and races in your triple clamps? I'm doing my own kx250 and am curious what specialty tools everyone else is using

kpersonius264 wrote:

I put the races in the freezer and Used a propane torch to heat the frame. Then all I used was a socket that fit over the flat part of the race and tapped them in with a hammer.

For the bearing on the triple clamp I used a pipe that fit over the steering stem but fit on the solid part of the bearing ( can’t remember if it’s the inner or outer race without looking at it) and tapped it down.

Lmk if if you have any more questions.

2StrokeWanting4StrokeOwning wrote:

How did you remove the bearings and races?

Some heat, a punch and a hammer for me. Gotta be careful because the race only sticks out a tiny bit further than the lip it sits on inside the frame.

|

6/21/2018 8:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/21/2018 8:27 AM

Ok so the bike is temporarily finished at the moment. I framed my 250 for maintenance and while it’s not rideable I decided to transplant the forks, and wheels to the 125 so I can ride it.

STILL waiting on my hubs to get powder coated! If I ever get those back I’ll order the spokes to build the wheels.
Once the 250 stops thinning my wallet I’ll have the sss suspension tuned up for me and hopefully will start bringing two bikes to the track.
Photo
Photo

Of course Had to vlog my first ride on it!

|

6/21/2018 9:44 AM

kpersonius264 wrote:

Ok so the bike is temporarily finished at the moment. I framed my 250 for maintenance and while it’s not rideable I decided to transplant the forks, and wheels to the 125 so I can ride it.

STILL waiting on my hubs to get powder coated! If I ever get those back I’ll order the spokes to build the wheels.
Once the 250 stops thinning my wallet I’ll have the sss suspension tuned up for me and hopefully will start bringing two bikes to the track.
Photo
Photo

Of course Had to vlog my first ride on it!

Looks good! These steel frame 125s are rad. I’ve been riding this 03 I have and love the motor. MMX was cherry last night. Btw I’ve got a brand new PC works pipe for your bike if your interested.


Here’s my 2003 Photo

|

6/21/2018 10:10 AM


When mine is permanently back together we need to have a 125 sesh!
Thanks for the offer but I’m actually really happy with my exhaust setup on my 125. It’s an fmf gold series pipe with a pc r304 silencer. I love where the power is at. Yea it’s a little dented but I can live with it.

However you told me before you have some pc pipes for a 250? I got a 17 that needs one!
|

6/21/2018 11:19 AM

kpersonius264 wrote:
When mine is permanently back together we need to have a 125 sesh!
Thanks for the offer but I’m actually really happy with my exhaust setup on my 125. It’s an fmf gold series pipe with a pc r304 silencer. I love where the power is at. Yea it’s a little dented but I can live with it.

However you told me before you have some pc pipes for a 250? I got a 17 that needs one!

Yes I do. I need to go through all of my 250 stuff and sell it! Save my number of ever want to go ride and also for the 250 pipes. 831 801 2355

|

6/21/2018 12:23 PM

Cool I’ll shoot you a text so you have my number.
I’m putting my 250 back together Saturday and hoping to ride riverfront on Sunday to break the motor in. Maybe we can meet up.

|