My 2004 CR125 restore/rebuild

nick610s
Edited Date/Time 2/1/2019 9:19am
So I bought this bike for $800, (christmas present to myself basically) it was locked up by Previous owner. The plan is to touch everything on the bike and make it as good as i can and better than new with the budget i have to work with... I will be replacing any damaged or worn parts.

It’s 100% torn down to frame now but I will post what I’ve done so far. First sequence is the day I brought it home and the initial TD to assess how dirty this thing was.. pretty fucking dirty.

|
nick610s
1/29/2019 8:16am
Motor out and tear down.. P/O i think blew a head gasket and let water into the crankcase, I know it was water because thats what was in the radiators!!! Which are trashed so those are going to get replaced. Trans oil was black as midnight but luckily all the gears were in great shape and no dog wear....

The Shop

nick610s
1/29/2019 8:22am
Cleaned up the frame .. Might hit a couple more spots right before i assemble the bike this month.. but i am not building a show pony this will get ridden.. so i dont expect it to be perfect.. but so far so good.

nick610s
1/29/2019 8:31am
Decided to use the Wrench Rabbit complete rebuild kit for this one, ive had great luck with hotrods cranks in the past and so have many others that i know, sent the cylinder and head out to eric gorr for his (superstock porting and replate treatment).. Cases bead blasted and then hit them with buffing wheel and alloy polish... not bad.. Thats where i got to for pics right now.. I am going to assemble the motor this week and take some more pics of the head and cylinder work as i put it together.

MotoRoss678
1/29/2019 10:25am
I used the wrench rabbit kit on my 2004 as well back in 2015-16. It was great! The crank performed every bit as well as an OEM.

Before you replace those radiators look up ICW in North Carolina. He can straighten them and brace them for a much better value than buying two new ones. That being said, don't chance the aluminum ones off ebay for $89. I had a set before I knew better and the welds on the side bars cracked after about 10 hours of track time.

Great job on the teardown and clean up thus far! I'm pumped to see your finished product!
nick610s
1/29/2019 11:06am
I used the wrench rabbit kit on my 2004 as well back in 2015-16. It was great! The crank performed every bit as well as an...
I used the wrench rabbit kit on my 2004 as well back in 2015-16. It was great! The crank performed every bit as well as an OEM.

Before you replace those radiators look up ICW in North Carolina. He can straighten them and brace them for a much better value than buying two new ones. That being said, don't chance the aluminum ones off ebay for $89. I had a set before I knew better and the welds on the side bars cracked after about 10 hours of track time.

Great job on the teardown and clean up thus far! I'm pumped to see your finished product!
Thanks man, these radiators are pretty hammered, I don’t think they can be straightened, but I’m not quite there with what I’m doing for radiators yet. But I will keep ICW in mind.
bonseff
1/29/2019 2:06pm
I have a good used OEM right side (with cap) if you need it. I have had it for years and it is just hanging around on my pegboard.
nick610s
1/29/2019 2:15pm
bonseff wrote:
I have a good used OEM right side (with cap) if you need it. I have had it for years and it is just hanging around...
I have a good used OEM right side (with cap) if you need it. I have had it for years and it is just hanging around on my pegboard.
Shoot me a PM with how much you want for it.. thanks man!
DJV804
1/30/2019 2:08am
bonseff wrote:
I have a good used OEM right side (with cap) if you need it. I have had it for years and it is just hanging around...
ICW has seen and straightened radiators much worse than yours. To each their own, but ICW is a miracle worker with radiators. Anyone who's used him will attest.
nick610s
1/30/2019 7:02am
bonseff wrote:
DJV804 wrote:
ICW has seen and straightened radiators much worse than yours. To each their own, but ICW is a miracle worker with radiators. Anyone who's used him...
ICW has seen and straightened radiators much worse than yours. To each their own, but ICW is a miracle worker with radiators. Anyone who's used him will attest.
I’m not saying I’m going to rule them out but if I can get one already straight OEM radiator I may send the other one out. I looked at their site and it’s impressive what they can do.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/30/2019 9:21am
bonseff wrote:
DJV804 wrote:
ICW has seen and straightened radiators much worse than yours. To each their own, but ICW is a miracle worker with radiators. Anyone who's used him...
I was going to say the same thing. Most radiator repair guys have seen much much worse and make them look brand new again.

OP- Can't wait to follow all of the progress on this build!
nick610s
1/31/2019 7:39am
Decided to start putting the motor back together yesterday, not fully done yet but its 85% done. Tried to get a couple pics of the port work done by eric gorr With the stock bore SS package he offers.. Im sure its not going to be fast. But hopefulyl this and a PWK carb will give it a little more gusto than a stock bike!

Wade221
1/31/2019 8:04pm
Right on! What part of YC?
nick610s
1/31/2019 8:40pm
Wade221 wrote:
South Yuba, went out to riverfront to moto tonight!
Wade221
1/31/2019 8:55pm
Wade221 wrote:
nick610s wrote:
Nice! I grew up in South Yuba and my parents are still there. I’ll be there in a week to visit them. Bringing the bike. Gonna hit all the Marysville tracks, PC and Argyll, since pretty much everything is closed here till March. But priority #1 when I hit Yuba is Jim Boys Tacos, for sure!
nick610s
2/1/2019 8:15am
Wade221 wrote:
nick610s wrote:
Wade221 wrote:
Nice! I grew up in South Yuba and my parents are still there. I’ll be there in a week to visit them. Bringing the bike. Gonna...
Nice! I grew up in South Yuba and my parents are still there. I’ll be there in a week to visit them. Bringing the bike. Gonna hit all the Marysville tracks, PC and Argyll, since pretty much everything is closed here till March. But priority #1 when I hit Yuba is Jim Boys Tacos, for sure!
Right on man! Yeah next week should be good for riding if the weather holds out for sure!
Wade221
2/1/2019 9:18am
nick610s wrote:
Right on man! Yeah next week should be good for riding if the weather holds out for sure!
Good deal. Good luck, 125 builds are always pretty rad!

PM sent

Post a reply to: My 2004 CR125 restore/rebuild

The Latest