*** #supercrossfutures *** 2017 Honda CRF450R

MotoRoss678
Edited Date/Time 4/2/2019 6:14am
About a month ago, a buddy of mine asked me to drive him to DFW to pick up his new truck. Having just come to the realization that I absolutely hated my 2003 YZ125 that I just built, I had been kicking around the idea of a new 450. In trying to be a responsible adult, I decided that if this was happening it was only happening if I found a 2017 leftover at the right price. Low and behold, the night before we made the eastward trek I found a 17 at Freedom Powersports in Cleburne TX. While driving back to the Permian and looking at my new treasure in my rearview every 5 seconds I told myself over and over that this was to remain stock and not rival the Oak Island Money Pit in terms of frivolous spending...

Well.......................here we go vitalmx. Let the building begin...

Photo 1. Paperwork done, about to load up and head back west.

Photo 2. The new whip we had initially set out for.
Photo 3. First night in the stable during one of many dart games that were played that night.
Photo 4: First day at the track

Photos 5 & 6. Could not live another day without numbers

Photo 7: Had abit of a rough day in this one. Tried out my new atlas chest protector...it makes me look fat and I crashed. In that crash I bit both sides of my cheeks so bad the dentist said she initially would have done stitches if it hadn't been Memorial Day Weekend.

Photo 8: Finally the teardown has begun and I am waiting on parts...

Photo 9: First part to arrive is the full FMF system complete with megabomb header. I had this same setup on my 250F, but with a single side since it is a 2012.

Up next will be:

Suspension from RSR in Canonsburg Pa.
Get in touch with Rocky @ Telephone:  (724) 914-0703 or check him out on the web @ http://www.rsrsuspension.com/ and also on Instagram @rsr_suspension

Followed by a set of red/black dubya build D.I.D rims with Kite hubs

Graphics are Muscle Milk with a white Honda Wing

Also pulled the trigger on some Galfer rotors so that I can just pull the stock wheels off and save them as backups that you can just throw on in the event of a flat.

Stay tuned guys and let me know what you think, have experienced, or advise.

Have a great Friday!!!
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/8/2018 8:15am
Nice man, congrats!

I haven't spent much time on these bikes, but I do remember them being pretty twitchy at times. I'm not sure what the fix is for it, but that's one thing to look out for.
H4L
6/9/2018 12:41am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Nice man, congrats! I haven't spent much time on these bikes, but I do remember them being pretty twitchy at times. I'm not sure what the...
Nice man, congrats!

I haven't spent much time on these bikes, but I do remember them being pretty twitchy at times. I'm not sure what the fix is for it, but that's one thing to look out for.
Pretty twitchy ? An 18 Model owned feels pretty stable / solid.

OP - subbed..
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/9/2018 7:50am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Nice man, congrats! I haven't spent much time on these bikes, but I do remember them being pretty twitchy at times. I'm not sure what the...
Nice man, congrats!

H4L wrote:

OP - subbed..
Ya it was really twitchy, especially through fast choppy areas. Also kicked sideways on square edged bumps. I never had that issue with my 14 yz450 or any of my previous kawi’s. But then again, those are the two most stable bikes available
H4L
6/9/2018 8:03am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Nice man, congrats!

H4L wrote:

OP - subbed..
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Ya it was really twitchy, especially through fast choppy areas. Also kicked sideways on square edged bumps. I never had that issue with my 14 yz450...
Ya it was really twitchy, especially through fast choppy areas. Also kicked sideways on square edged bumps. I never had that issue with my 14 yz450 or any of my previous kawi’s. But then again, those are the two most stable bikes available
Interesting. I didn't see any of the ride reports from different outlets say anything about the new chassis feeling twitchy.

The Shop

MotoRoss678
6/14/2018 6:24am
Just a little update...

Rocky up at RSR Suspension has cerakoted my suspension body components...and I cannot wait to get this thing back together and finished up.

MotoRoss678
6/14/2018 6:12pm
I also got around to snagging a set of Dubyas off ebay and fitting them with a set of Dunlop MX3S. Funny how we always think we can survive with a stock machine for a period of time only to find ourselves on the endless scrolling through parts and ideas in the late night hours...

but we weren't made to just pay bills and die now were we!

More to come next week! Once this machine is whole again, I'll be taking her to the hill country to get a piece of Cycle Ranch and more...

MotoRoss678
7/2/2018 7:49am
So I received all my parts back and here is the final product at this point.

MotoRoss678
7/3/2018 9:10am
Stevehrc wrote:
Looks good mate love the red ?

Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out!
mxb2
7/3/2018 9:29am
Sick build, now fix the crossbar pad. Lol.
7/16/2018 8:39pm
Nice bike, good to see some activity representing Texas well. Is RSR a local company and why did you opt for it over HP, 812, TJ's RaceTech, or Factory Connection? Also have you heard any news on RedRock?
swtwtwtw
7/16/2018 9:15pm
Wow, that is really good. I love the all red and your logos. Big thumbs up!
Stevehrc
7/16/2018 10:35pm
To delete the clutch switch to start just follow it back to the connectors and unplug them, then plug the 2 that don't lead to the lever together and that's it. That's if you haven't already done it ?

MotoRoss678
7/20/2018 10:58am
Nice bike, good to see some activity representing Texas well. Is RSR a local company and why did you opt for it over HP, 812, TJ's...
Nice bike, good to see some activity representing Texas well. Is RSR a local company and why did you opt for it over HP, 812, TJ's RaceTech, or Factory Connection? Also have you heard any news on RedRock?
Thank you! RSR is a private suspension service a close friend of mine from Pennsylvania owns. Here is his information. He does fantastic work with highly competitive pricing.

Suspension from RSR in Canonsburg Pa.
Get in touch with Rocky @ Telephone: (724) 914-0703 or check him out on the web @ http://www.rsrsuspension.com/ and also on Instagram @rsr_suspension

As for Red Rock, I rode Murphy's MX on my 250F earlier this year. That place is great! I can't wait to go back. I'll be testing my 125 SX in August just incase I get my application through to the folks running the Budds Creek 125 Allstar event. I also plan to visit CycleRanch and Spoaks MX.
MotoRoss678
7/20/2018 10:59am
Stevehrc wrote:
To delete the clutch switch to start just follow it back to the connectors and unplug them, then plug the 2 that don't lead to the...
To delete the clutch switch to start just follow it back to the connectors and unplug them, then plug the 2 that don't lead to the lever together and that's it. That's if you haven't already done it ?

Thanks! I don't have a safety switch on mine since it is a 2017.
MotoRoss678
7/20/2018 11:00am
swtwtwtw wrote:
Wow, that is really good. I love the all red and your logos. Big thumbs up!
Thank you! Keep an eye on this build for the next plastic and graphics update. This setup is only temporary until I decide what I want on a fully custom setup from Backyard...
MotoRoss678
4/2/2019 6:13am
Its been a while since I updated this thread so here are a few photos over the past 9 months including this past weekend's #supercrossfutures in Houston (#SXF phot cred to #MadMoose)

Post a reply to: *** #supercrossfutures *** 2017 Honda CRF450R

The Latest