Luxon MX Motocross Action Mag FC350 Build (Complete)

cdoggy81
6/15/2022 5:53am
Awesome work as usually Billy & I like how you always back up your decisions / actions based on facts & science!
Funny as I started to do the exact same thing with my 09-20 rear yzf brake hanger but then Yamaha came out with a new revised one that was significantly cleaned up so I shelved that project & just bought a new one LOL

Keep up the good work & hopefully one day soon you can ride this bad boy!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/15/2022 8:11am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Awesome work as usually Billy & I like how you always back up your decisions / actions based on facts & science! Funny as I started...
Awesome work as usually Billy & I like how you always back up your decisions / actions based on facts & science!
Funny as I started to do the exact same thing with my 09-20 rear yzf brake hanger but then Yamaha came out with a new revised one that was significantly cleaned up so I shelved that project & just bought a new one LOL

Keep up the good work & hopefully one day soon you can ride this bad boy!
Thanks! I actually rode it last Friday, just now catching up on all the update posts!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/16/2022 1:00pm
I wanted to have some fancy engine mounts on this build, since that's all the rage these days. Plus I just wanted to see how noticeable they may actually be on track.

In the past I had tried removing a mount entirely on my 2017 350 and went back to back with and without it a few times. It definitely made a difference, but wasn't necessarily an overall positive (or negative). But removing one entirely isn't a great idea for a long term use, so back on it went. This did give me hope that there could be some beneficial change with engine mounts, but needed more testing.

So with this new bike, we're doing just that! I took the stock mounts and made a very large hole(s) in them with the manual mill, cleaned them up a bit with the Dremel tool, tumbled them, then sent them off to anodize. Laser etching adds the finishing touch.

Now I can test back to back between these, obviously much "softer" mounts and stock mounts to see how much this really affects things. Even with the big hole, these should be a bunch stiffer than removing a single mount entirely, so this will be a good test of whether there's big differences to be had here or not.

Should this prove promising, we can then investigate varying stiffness in different directions, which is what's really important. Simply saying the mounts are "soft" or whatever doesn't help much at all. Stiffness is directional. You may want them soft front to back for comfort, but really stiff side to side for cornering precision (that would be my first guess anyway). So, that's a potential project for the future; this is just to see if it's worth doing or not. Plus they look nicer than stock!

Stock, unmodified:

Milling out pockets:

After milling:

Clean up with Dremel:

Tumble:

Prior to anodize:

After anodize and laser etching:

Installed:

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/16/2022 1:16pm
Earlier we had planned on running Renthal Fatbar36 bars on this bike. They're good bars and super light, which is awesome, but I also wanted to run a Precision Steering Damper which bolts directly to the bars. Precision doesn't make one for the 36mm bars, though, so the plan was to adapt it and/or make a new damper body that would fit. In the interest of time, though, we're going back to 1 1/8" bars so the damper bolts right on and we don't have to do a ton of work!

I chose to go with Phoenix Handlebars for a couple reasons:

1) They're good quality bars
2) The owner is pure moto and a super good guy
3) They sponsor some rad privateer riders like Logan Karnow

The Phoenix bars only come in one bend, but various different heights. There's so many bends out there now it gets confusing. Phoenix took the most popular, and generally well liked parameters, and made that their bend. The bars are available in different heights, though, in 10mm increments. These are the 80mm height bars.

Here you can see the new Phoenix bars and the Precision Damper all mounted up. We're running our "individual" bar mounts instead of our standard bar mount as the damper bolts to the center of the bars and that would interfere with our one-piece anti-twist mount:

The Shop

swatdoc
6/16/2022 11:59pm
Billy any chance you might offer those caliper carriers in orange for the KTMs?
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/17/2022 8:36am
swatdoc wrote:
Billy any chance you might offer those caliper carriers in orange for the KTMs?
Just black for now. We could do a custom one in orange at no additional charge, but there would be lead time of the next run of the bracket plus the lead time of the next run of orange clamps.

Stocking these in orange means we have to stock in blue for husky and red for GasGas, plus there are two different axle sizes. So we would jump from two products to keep in inventory to eight! If they start selling like crazy, then that's not a problem; but it's quite a hassle for a handful of sales. We'll see!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/18/2022 12:44pm
At this point the bike is nearly complete - just a few details left to tidy up. Before we hand this over for the photoshoot and testing, though, I wanted to put a few hours on it to get some tuning time and break everything in. I took it out to Pala on Friday a couple weeks ago with these sweet custom graphics on it (custom graphic kit to protect everything from roost before photos):

I put a few laps on the bike, changed some settings, another few laps, made some more changes, then did two 30+2 motos. By the second moto it was feeling pretty good!

The following week (yesterday) I went back to Pala for another ride. Some minor tweaks and two more motos and the bike feels awesome now. (These photos were right before we packed up and I had taken off my custom painter's tape graphics):

Now it's time for some proper graphics! Working on that now:

Ryan625
6/19/2022 9:20am
Im really interested in that brake hanger. One in red on my GasGas would be killer but I don't mind the black at all!
I just added your guys adjustable link to my bike after managing to snap the stock one in half on a big case
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/24/2022 8:02am
Ryan625 wrote:
Im really interested in that brake hanger. One in red on my GasGas would be killer but I don't mind the black at all! I just...
Im really interested in that brake hanger. One in red on my GasGas would be killer but I don't mind the black at all!
I just added your guys adjustable link to my bike after managing to snap the stock one in half on a big case
In stock and ready to ship now (in black)!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/24/2022 8:20am
The Phoenix bars, like most other 1 1/8" bars come with the standard "fatbar" style bar pad. That's fine for many, but we prefer the look of a traditional crossbar, plus it's a nice spot to put a watch. I don't like the extra weight of the crossbar or the extra stiffness it adds, though.

So we came up with a design that solves both of those issues. We're using machined aluminum ends bonded to a carbon fiber tube. The ends hold rubber isolation mounts and attach to the bars with 3D printed, glass-filled nylon, clamps. Itโ€™s really light at 55g, plus the rubber isolation removes all added stiffness. The clamps are split so we can install this without taking everything apart (grips, levers, etc.).

It won't be as durable as a regular aluminum crossbar, but that's the compromise for light weight. If I hit this hard enough to break it, it's done the job and we can easily replace the 3D printed mounts that broke (that's the weak point).

Freshly machined inserts:

Carbon bar close up:

Complete crossbar (55g as shown):

Installed:

Close up of the rubber isolator in the aluminum end (same on the other end too):

lumpy790
6/26/2022 6:54am
Uber creativeโ€ฆโ€ฆ. You must wake up in the middle of the night with ideas on what your want to make next to make it better!
SHIFTY
6/27/2022 12:40pm
Unreal work Billy!
samcampbell
6/29/2022 8:02pm
Luxon MX wrote:
The Phoenix bars, like most other 1 1/8" bars come with the standard "fatbar" style bar pad. That's fine for many, but we prefer the look...
The Phoenix bars, like most other 1 1/8" bars come with the standard "fatbar" style bar pad. That's fine for many, but we prefer the look of a traditional crossbar, plus it's a nice spot to put a watch. I don't like the extra weight of the crossbar or the extra stiffness it adds, though.

So we came up with a design that solves both of those issues. We're using machined aluminum ends bonded to a carbon fiber tube. The ends hold rubber isolation mounts and attach to the bars with 3D printed, glass-filled nylon, clamps. Itโ€™s really light at 55g, plus the rubber isolation removes all added stiffness. The clamps are split so we can install this without taking everything apart (grips, levers, etc.).

It won't be as durable as a regular aluminum crossbar, but that's the compromise for light weight. If I hit this hard enough to break it, it's done the job and we can easily replace the 3D printed mounts that broke (that's the weak point).

Carbon bar close up:

Installed:

Close up of the rubber isolator in the aluminum end (same on the other end too):

Great work as usual Billy! I really like your approach to design and application of engineering to these bikes. It is something I feel is a bit lost with most aftermarket companies in this industry.

Out of curiosity, what are the rubber isolators being used in this bar mount set up? Iโ€™ve been fat bars for some time now, but have much preferred the looks of a crossbar so this is an excellent compromise.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/30/2022 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2022 4:49pm
Great work as usual Billy! I really like your approach to design and application of engineering to these bikes. It is something I feel is a...
Great work as usual Billy! I really like your approach to design and application of engineering to these bikes. It is something I feel is a bit lost with most aftermarket companies in this industry.

Out of curiosity, what are the rubber isolators being used in this bar mount set up? Iโ€™ve been fat bars for some time now, but have much preferred the looks of a crossbar so this is an excellent compromise.
Thanks! The isolators are just an off-the-shelf item. Here's a cross section:

(This is also the new machined version of the clamp instead of 3D printed plastic.)
Munson'd
Fantasy
1099th
7/6/2022 2:04pm
I love this thread.
What do you think of the blackjack fork?
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
7/6/2022 7:19pm
Munson'd wrote:
I love this thread.
What do you think of the blackjack fork?
I've only got 3 hours of break in time on the bike, but so far I'm super impressed with the fork and the shock. They're just as good or better than anything else I've ever ridden (stock, Showa, WP, KYB, a-kit, cone valves, Dal Saggio inserts, etc.). I'll be able to give a better impression after we get some more hours on the bike!
Jesseb663
7/8/2022 9:26am
Luxon MX wrote:
The Phoenix bars, like most other 1 1/8" bars come with the standard "fatbar" style bar pad. That's fine for many, but we prefer the look...

Carbon bar close up:

Installed:

Will this crossbar be available for purchase in the near future?
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
7/9/2022 8:15am
Luxon MX wrote:

Carbon bar close up:

Installed:

Jesseb663 wrote:
Will this crossbar be available for purchase in the near future?
Yes, but depends on what you mean by "near". We're still working on the bar clamp portion of the crossbar so it will be universal to all 1 1/8" bars since they'll all be a little different. We have a design in the works, but still need to prove it out and source some parts. I'm guessing it's 2 months away at this point..
Gungadin
7/20/2022 1:39am
Great work as usual Billy! I really like your approach to design and application of engineering to these bikes. It is something I feel is a...

Luxon MX wrote:
Thanks! The isolators are just an off-the-shelf item. Here's a cross section: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/30/557354/s1200_118_crossbar_isolator_cross_section.jpg[/img] (This is also the new machined version of the clamp instead of 3D...
Thanks! The isolators are just an off-the-shelf item. Here's a cross section:

(This is also the new machined version of the clamp instead of 3D printed plastic.)
What exactly does this gee whizz part achieve if it doesn't stiffen the bars?
Jake_CR250R
7/20/2022 4:19am
Gungadin wrote:
Not stiffening the bars, while providing a crossbar style bar pad. Maybe to make room for a steering damper, or just because the look is preferred.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/20/2022 6:09am
Gungadin wrote:
Read the thread. Hint, the answer is on this page.
JWACK
9/4/2022 10:19pm
How are you enjoying the mx-tech suspension?
Im curious how it feels now with a few more hours on it?
Does it feel like Showa/KYB kit or more like WP kit?

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/3/2022 9:42pm
JWACK wrote:
How are you enjoying the mx-tech suspension? Im curious how it feels now with a few more hours on it? Does it feel like Showa/KYB kit...
How are you enjoying the mx-tech suspension?
Im curious how it feels now with a few more hours on it?
Does it feel like Showa/KYB kit or more like WP kit?

Sorry, missed your question! I really like it for the break-in rides, at least. The bike's been sitting since then as things have been crazy busy. Should be back on it really soon, though!
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/3/2022 9:51pm
It's been a while, things have been nuts the last few months with Supercross prep, moving locations, and just generally maintaining the businesses, but back on this project again!

langhammx was selling some titanium linkage bolts on here for a good price, so I snatched those up. This is my personal bike after all, and being a vet rider, there should be an excess of titanium... But seriously, this is a good place to cut some weight. These three bolts alone dropped 0.36 lbs off the bike, plus they just look awesome and pair up nicely with the Ti bolts on the MX Tech shock:

I wrapped up the design of the graphics last week, had the guys over at Split print them out, and they showed up the other day. Got those installed, and we're ready for the proper testing. I'll hold off on the full bike pics until it's released, but here are some teasers:

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
11/24/2022 9:40am
Motocross Action is going to write up a feature on this build, so we've been prepping for that the last few weeks. I had a photographer friend stop by the shop to take some photos of the bike:

I can't show the actual photos until the magazine comes out as I don't know which ones they picked, but they came out awesome!

Then I ran up to Glen Helen last Thursday for a test day with MXA riders Josh Mosiman and Ezra Lewis. Trevor Nelson took some more photos and video that all came out pretty amazing.

Everyone was really impressed with the bike. My suspension setup is a little stiff for those guys as Josh weighs about 30 lbs less than me, but we made do with some sag and clicker adjustments. The full writeup is coming in a future issue of MXA.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
6/7/2023 12:30pm

This build is featured in the July 2023 issue of Motocross Action Magazine! Check it out wherever you get your magazines or via the online version (or check the reviews section of our website for the writeup).

The build is now "done", but anyone who's ever done a bike build knows it's never really done... We've switched out some of our parts here and there for more testing for future products, but it has otherwise stayed the same as what's in the magazine. All the parts I added to the bike were done because they're awesome parts from great companies, not just because someone was willing to give us free stuff. So, there hasn't been any reason to change anything but tires and our own internal parts for testing.ย 

Here are a few photos that weren't published:

128-done129-done130-done131-done132-done

wadam1313
6/7/2023 9:32pm

Bike looks amazing Billy!! Awesome job as always!! ๐Ÿ‘

cdoggy81
6/8/2023 12:19pm

Nice Billy ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜Ž

A95BBB65-B8E6-46F1-8615-E78212977E17

ย 
Glad to see you are โ€œdoneโ€ with the build as it really did turn out great. Hopefully things can slow down a bit & you can pick back up on the 150 smoker ๐Ÿ’จ !ย 

Post a reply to: Luxon MX Motocross Action Mag FC350 Build (Complete)

The Latest