Kellerdiesnt niche, '04 SX200

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2019 11:56 AM

Today I picked up a KTM SX200 2004. I had been searching for an SX200 for a while and was prepared to drive 1500km to get one, an appointment was made, a preparations set.

Two days prior to departure, a somewhat local (60km) SX200 came up at half the price of the first one, so I HAD to go see it.

For the money i saved versus driving and paying a premium price, this was a good deal! All bearings and and suspension seals need fixing, plus the obvious plastics, at least.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/9/2019 12:48 PM

One of the best bikes that I wish that I had never gotten rid of. Mine was a 2003.
Photo

|

3/9/2019 8:02 PM

I'd LOVE to have a 200SX! Anyone gets some info on one, let me know....hard to find for sure.

|

3/10/2019 12:59 AM

It looks like you need a correct 200SX exhaust pipe for the bike too. The current one on the pictures is from a 200 EXC

|

3/10/2019 5:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2019 7:08 AM

That bike has a stroked crank or long rod. It has a spacer under the cylinder

|

3/10/2019 6:10 AM

JMX82 wrote:

It looks like you need a correct 200SX exhaust pipe for the bike too. The current one on the pictures is from a 200 EXC

I think it has something to so with the crank having a baseplate. Maybe it has been stroked or maybe just a longer rod. Any info on common meds for this?

|

3/10/2019 1:20 PM

Hi lookout for a sx exhsust or else the doma. Makes a noticeable difference if the bike will be used for motocross.

|

3/10/2019 3:45 PM

mountain106 wrote:

Hi lookout for a sx exhsust or else the doma. Makes a noticeable difference if the bike will be used for motocross.

Will it? Im thinking it might fit nice with the raised cylinder?

|

3/10/2019 4:20 PM

Hi. It makes a very noticeable difference. They are hard to pick up second hand. I found one in the Uk. I think hgs make a version. And doma in France make one. The exhaust is very similar to a 150 exhaust but it is physically bigger in size.

|

3/10/2019 10:32 PM

JMX82 wrote:

It looks like you need a correct 200SX exhaust pipe for the bike too. The current one on the pictures is from a 200 EXC

Lasse wrote:

I think it has something to so with the crank having a baseplate. Maybe it has been stroked or maybe just a longer rod. Any info on common meds for this?

As other guys have already said, base plate indicates that your bike might have a stroker crankshaft and motor might be bigger than 200 cc . I think someone has swapped exhaust from 200EXC to make power band more mellow for enduro use. I would definitely get correct 200SX exhaust pipe for motocross use. I don't think there will be any fitment issues due to raised cylinder.

|

3/12/2019 5:47 AM

JMX82 wrote:

It looks like you need a correct 200SX exhaust pipe for the bike too. The current one on the pictures is from a 200 EXC

Lasse wrote:

I think it has something to so with the crank having a baseplate. Maybe it has been stroked or maybe just a longer rod. Any info on common meds for this?

JMX82 wrote:

As other guys have already said, base plate indicates that your bike might have a stroker crankshaft and motor might be bigger than 200 cc . I think someone has swapped exhaust from 200EXC to make power band more mellow for enduro use. I would definitely get correct 200SX exhaust pipe for motocross use. I don't think there will be any fitment issues due to raised cylinder.

I'll be looking for an HGS or DOMA I think smile

Right now my main concern is fixing it up and making it work well.

As of now, everything has been torn apart, the frame is at the painter, forks at the suspension shop and the rearshock I will do myself as time allows smile

|

3/12/2019 5:57 AM

mountain106 wrote:

Hi. It makes a very noticeable difference. They are hard to pick up second hand. I found one in the Uk. I think hgs make a version. And doma in France make one. The exhaust is very similar to a 150 exhaust but it is physically bigger in size.

Think Doma are Belgian

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

3/12/2019 6:10 AM

That's going to be a fun project. Maybe I missed where you said it, but did it run before you tore it down?

|

3/12/2019 6:38 AM

Harry Backmon wrote:

That's going to be a fun project. Maybe I missed where you said it, but did it run before you tore it down?

Yeah when I picked it up this saturday it ran well, so I just took it apart to fix the chassis. Somebody has loved this engine and put alot of effort into it, so I will run it and see how I like it before I do anything to it.

If I like it, then I see myself overhauling the engine come wintertime.

|

3/25/2019 1:45 PM

Who doesn't like an orange frame? Photo

|

3/31/2019 10:15 AM

The refresh is nearing completetion, this was not intended to be a full restoration, just to get it back to usable condition, which its about to be!

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/12/2019 1:08 PM

Just to give a small update.

I bought a carburettor from Wish and put in the original Keihin jets. The bike has been running perfect since.

Right now the bike is doing very well. Mostly playing with suspension settings.

I'm on a 69-250 spring, with both compression and rebound all the way out.

Sag at 110mm.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

6/14/2019 3:09 AM

What front pipe are you running. Is that from a 150sx. How do you find it?

|

6/14/2019 3:13 AM

mountain106 wrote:

What front pipe are you running. Is that from a 150sx. How do you find it?

It's an SX200 pipe, found it on a German classified ad

|

6/14/2019 12:05 PM

Lucky find. They are getting hard to find. Zero pop up on eBay.

|

6/14/2019 12:18 PM

They seem to be available from KTM

|

6/16/2019 8:36 AM

Sorry as in good second hand condition.

|

6/18/2019 12:39 AM

mountain106 wrote:

Sorry as in good second hand condition.

I have one in bad condition you can buy smile

|

7/26/2019 9:10 PM

Used to have a ktm 200sx looks to me like your bottom end and barrel is from a ktm 125 the 200 only need the spacer if the barrel is a 125 one with a 200 rod is 5mm longer Photo

|

7/27/2019 1:58 PM

Barrel was a 200 for sure, checked the partnumber on it.

|