Kellerdienst exotica! '91 Husqvarna CR125 *It's running!*

Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
Edited Date/Time 6/7/2019 1:51pm
Restore, ride or wreck?

I just acquired a Husqvarna CR125 1991! A bit of an exotica, with spares not being readily available. Should I decide not to use the bike, the suspension will always be nice to have around Smile

Any lead to spares is appreciated!

|
Theneil300
12/14/2018 8:49am
Crush it- that will cost you 4000$ at least for it to run. No carb- motor most likely needs completely restored and you won’t be able to buy a single part for it. Thing is a parts bike at best
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/14/2018 9:05am
Theneil300 wrote:
Crush it- that will cost you 4000$ at least for it to run. No carb- motor most likely needs completely restored and you won’t be able...
Crush it- that will cost you 4000$ at least for it to run. No carb- motor most likely needs completely restored and you won’t be able to buy a single part for it. Thing is a parts bike at best
That's hardly the case, it shares engine with the earlier Cagivas Smile
BR8ES
12/14/2018 2:05pm
It will be an arduous process to restore, but if you have the wherewithal and funds, go for it. Always loved the Cagivas.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/15/2018 1:05am
Already now, parts have been WAY less of an issue.

Admittedly you can't just go on a website and insta-order everything, its a bit more like restoring a vintage motorcycle, where a few people carry lots of knowlegde and parts.

So in less than a day, I've found people who have the parts I'm looking for, which is quite surprising, not bad at all!

The Shop

.kyle
12/15/2018 5:23am
Theneil300 wrote:
Crush it- that will cost you 4000$ at least for it to run. No carb- motor most likely needs completely restored and you won’t be able...
So much optimism right there... I bet you're fun at parties, assuming you get invites.

Screw the negative Nancy's. Good luck with the build! It's always cool to see something different.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/15/2018 8:58am
A bit of info, turns out the connecting rod has identical dimensions to that of a Yamaha RD250/350. Easy and cheap, a kit is 50$
BR8ES
12/15/2018 9:22am
well... what are you going to do????
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/15/2018 6:18pm
BR8ES wrote:
A connecting rod is only a part of it all. the cylinder will need welding and plating, but thats a minor inconvinience. I think it calls for a rescue. And its not going to be THAT expensive after all.
BR8ES
12/15/2018 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2018 6:57pm
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
A connecting rod is only a part of it all. the cylinder will need welding and plating, but thats a minor inconvinience. I think it calls...
A connecting rod is only a part of it all. the cylinder will need welding and plating, but thats a minor inconvinience. I think it calls for a rescue. And its not going to be THAT expensive after all.
you gonna document the build then mate? Any where near Kolding, you have a special place in my heart....
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/15/2018 6:58pm
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
A connecting rod is only a part of it all. the cylinder will need welding and plating, but thats a minor inconvinience. I think it calls...
BR8ES wrote:
you gonna document the build then mate? Any where near Kolding, you have a special place in my heart....
If I feel like I get readers here, then absolutely. Otherwise I keep mostly towards instagram.

I do alot of builds lately. Nothing like blackdiamonds builds. Mine are more... metalworking and making things work well, more than flashy/OEM Smile
BR8ES
12/15/2018 7:00pm
Lasse wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
If I feel like I get readers here, then absolutely. Otherwise I keep mostly towards instagram. I do alot of builds lately. Nothing like blackdiamonds builds...
If I feel like I get readers here, then absolutely. Otherwise I keep mostly towards instagram.

I do alot of builds lately. Nothing like blackdiamonds builds. Mine are more... metalworking and making things work well, more than flashy/OEM Smile
just post away mate, will be fun to watch a rescue.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/15/2018 7:05pm
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
If I feel like I get readers here, then absolutely. Otherwise I keep mostly towards instagram. I do alot of builds lately. Nothing like blackdiamonds builds...

BR8ES wrote:
To be fair, rescue is a big word for what this is.

Its a bit of paint, scotch brite here and there, plus some engine and suspension work Smile

Glad to have some positivism though!
BR8ES
12/15/2018 7:10pm
Lasse wrote:

BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
To be fair, rescue is a big word for what this is. Its a bit of paint, scotch brite here and there, plus some engine and...

Its a bit of paint, scotch brite here and there, plus some engine and suspension work Smile

go with it and know you have moral support.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/16/2018 1:43am
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
To be fair, rescue is a big word for what this is. Its a bit of paint, scotch brite here and there, plus some engine and...

BR8ES wrote:
go with it and know you have moral support.
I'm taking the engine apart tomorrow, that'll need doing no matter what I do. Updates will follow!
wpark89
12/16/2018 3:11pm
Good luck....you can do it! To me it's more fun to build a bike like this and not another Honda.

I would double check that connecting rod. I have several Cagiva 125's. I know I used that old Yamaha rod for my 84 WMX 125. But in '89 the Cagiva got a longer rod and shorter piston (I was told this is what the factory bikes like Strijbos used for a few years, but it wasn't stock until 1989. This is probably the same part as your '91. You may be able to use the older shorter rod if you also use the older piston.

The early Italian Husky's are great looking bikes and pretty much the look KTM copied today.

ATKpilot99
12/16/2018 3:32pm
Those are sweet looking bikes and imo the best looking ones of the time .
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/17/2018 10:29am
wpark89 wrote:
Good luck....you can do it! To me it's more fun to build a bike like this and not another Honda. I would double check that connecting...
Good luck....you can do it! To me it's more fun to build a bike like this and not another Honda.

I would double check that connecting rod. I have several Cagiva 125's. I know I used that old Yamaha rod for my 84 WMX 125. But in '89 the Cagiva got a longer rod and shorter piston (I was told this is what the factory bikes like Strijbos used for a few years, but it wasn't stock until 1989. This is probably the same part as your '91. You may be able to use the older shorter rod if you also use the older piston.

The early Italian Husky's are great looking bikes and pretty much the look KTM copied today.

That's great information! I'll press the crank apart and take some measurements!

I'm looking for a powervalve cover if you have an extra Smile
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/17/2018 10:30am
Also today I got in contact with GPI Radiators who'll make me a pair of radiators free of charge as they then get the model specs.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/17/2018 11:55am
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
BR8ES, yes I live an hours drive away from Kolding. What are your memories there?
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/19/2018 5:22am
Lasse wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
BR8ES, yes I live an hours drive away from Kolding. What are your memories there?
Taking an engine apart is always exciting, mostly because it decides whether a project like that can go on.

This one will so far.

A few teeth had some pitting corrosion, so I will be looking for a replacement there.

Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/20/2018 7:35am
So that's where it stems from!

Today I plasti-blasted the crankcase and engine covers. There were the expected staining from having been exposed to the elements, plus a light crank and some no-longer threading threads ?

I also washed out all the internals, for the most part it's okay. There's some pitting corrosion on a few teeth, a corroded spring for the gearshift and some missing hardware for the waterpump and power valve setup.

BR8ES
12/21/2018 4:58pm
Lasse wrote:
BR8ES wrote:
Lasse wrote:
Lived there for a year in the early 90s, great girl and times.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
401st
12/21/2018 8:03pm
Lasse wrote:
So that's where it stems from! Today I plasti-blasted the crankcase and engine covers. There were the expected staining from having been exposed to the elements...
So that's where it stems from!

Today I plasti-blasted the crankcase and engine covers. There were the expected staining from having been exposed to the elements, plus a light crank and some no-longer threading threads ?

I also washed out all the internals, for the most part it's okay. There's some pitting corrosion on a few teeth, a corroded spring for the gearshift and some missing hardware for the waterpump and power valve setup.

I vote you move forward with this restoration. as you are. You have an excellent complete base bike. As many of us collectors have taken 3-4 bikes to combine into 1 for the better benefit of this industry.
Keep moving forward and future postings are appreciated.
Kudos!
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
12/31/2018 5:01am
ktmfun219 wrote:
I vote you move forward with this restoration. as you are. You have an excellent complete base bike. As many of us collectors have taken 3-4...
I vote you move forward with this restoration. as you are. You have an excellent complete base bike. As many of us collectors have taken 3-4 bikes to combine into 1 for the better benefit of this industry.
Keep moving forward and future postings are appreciated.
Kudos!
Optimism goes a long way and makes it way more fun to return back here and give you gives some updates.

Lately I've been trying to get the crankcases welded up as the rear engine mounts had a crack in all the three bridges. However the aluminium is of doubtful quality and getting the actual Tungsten electrode to where the crack starts is not possible. So, I'm going to leave it and hope it doesn't crack completely while I'm looking for another set of cases.

I've also sourced an OEM rodkit, which I too thought was going to be a nightmare, but again people are super helpful in helping eachother getting these old bikes running again. So much more than with other brands I've had.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
1/9/2019 12:57pm
Here's a little update! Time has been flying by either the holidays and new years, but that doesn't mean the projects are on pause!

I've been devoting some time to my RM250, so I'm ready to rip as the weather improves ?

Today I've been cleaning out all the grit and gunk of the crankcases, pulled all the small bearings of which there are quite a few to be frank. Definitly not like the Japanese bikes.

Here's a couple of pictures to show the peculiar clutch setup!

JBMXer2003
1/9/2019 9:08pm
Is that the stock clutch basket? Looks pretty trick. I love Husqvarna's! I am putting together a 125 effort this spring myself. Just lugged a project home that will hopefully motivate me more. Ha. I will be getting an 00' and an 02' Husky CR125. These old Cagiva bikes are neat and look better than the other bikes of the era besides a Honda. Imo
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
1/10/2019 5:56am
I doubt that it is. From the homestyled riveting on the back of the gearwheel, to comparing other photos, this does indeed look aftermarket.
Lasse
Fantasy
2963rd
1/10/2019 6:00am
Today some more work into the bike! The to-do list is dwindling before I spent more money on it or parts start showing up.

I cleaned out the carb, brushing off the grit and ultrasonically cleaning the carburettor. A few new o-rings and an e-clip for the needle is all I need.

Post a reply to: Kellerdienst exotica! '91 Husqvarna CR125 *It's running!*

The Latest