KX 500

TeamGreen
9/20/2017 12:30pm
Your fab-work looks better than most of the stock stuff.

Nice work.

Great Bulld!
Sidecar
9/20/2017 12:56pm
It's my brother Rob underneath and about .5 of a second later I was underneath... We were doing about 40mph when we ran out of track and hit the fence on the outside of turn1...
Your welding looks fine, I wouldn't worry about that at all... Droped the motor out of our sidecar last night and popped the top off tonight.... Glad I did....

RABnasty
9/21/2017 10:01am
TeamGreen wrote:
Your fab-work looks better than most of the stock stuff.

Nice work.

Great Bulld!
Thank you! I am going to order a few plastics and graphics soon and then start to rebuild the suspension hopefully here next!
RABnasty
9/21/2017 10:02am
Sidecar wrote:
It's my brother Rob underneath and about .5 of a second later I was underneath... We were doing about 40mph when we ran out of track...
It's my brother Rob underneath and about .5 of a second later I was underneath... We were doing about 40mph when we ran out of track and hit the fence on the outside of turn1...
Your welding looks fine, I wouldn't worry about that at all... Droped the motor out of our sidecar last night and popped the top off tonight.... Glad I did....

Ouch! That piston could have gone bad to worse, what made you decide to pull it? Is there a time frame you usually do top ends? Do you keep hour meters on yours? Mine still has tons of power and I wasn't planning on pulling the top end until after this season.

The Shop

123-rit
9/21/2017 1:37pm Edited Date/Time 9/21/2017 3:53pm
Sidecar wrote:
Yeah it stops being fun pretty quickly when it goes upside down.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/17/215286/s1200_IMG_4828.jpg[/img] We are ok though.... Had a much better day yesterday... Keep the photos...
Yeah it stops being fun pretty quickly when it goes upside down....

We are ok though.... Had a much better day yesterday... Keep the photos of your build coming!!!!

Wow that sidecar racing looks wild.. the dude climbing up on that sidecar has gotta be one crazy sob lol.. I'd imagine it's like living out one of those crazy dreams where your falling lol.. pretty nuts.
Sidecar
9/23/2017 4:45am
Sidecar wrote:
It's my brother Rob underneath and about .5 of a second later I was underneath... We were doing about 40mph when we ran out of track...

RABnasty wrote:
Ouch! That piston could have gone bad to worse, what made you decide to pull it? Is there a time frame you usually do top ends...
Ouch! That piston could have gone bad to worse, what made you decide to pull it? Is there a time frame you usually do top ends? Do you keep hour meters on yours? Mine still has tons of power and I wasn't planning on pulling the top end until after this season.
That is a genuine Kawasaki piston with about 10 hours on it... I don't use an hour meter but I'm good at keeping a check... Pulled it as she had lost a little compression and had purchased a set of rings... I have now ordered a piston, pin, bearing and circlips....
The sidecar works the motor pretty hard though, it's a lot less stress in a regular bike, as long as your compression is good you needn't worry.
Sidecar
9/23/2017 4:49am
Sidecar wrote:
Yeah it stops being fun pretty quickly when it goes upside down.... [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/09/17/215286/s1200_IMG_4828.jpg[/img] We are ok though.... Had a much better day yesterday... Keep the photos...

We are ok though.... Had a much better day yesterday... Keep the photos of your build coming!!!!

123-rit wrote:
Wow that sidecar racing looks wild.. the dude climbing up on that sidecar has gotta be one crazy sob lol.. I'd imagine it's like living out...
Wow that sidecar racing looks wild.. the dude climbing up on that sidecar has gotta be one crazy sob lol.. I'd imagine it's like living out one of those crazy dreams where your falling lol.. pretty nuts.
It's controlled chaos... You have to work as a team, a driver can't go fast with a novice passenger that doesn't know what they are doing so it's difficult to really scare a noob... You have to build the speed up as they learn... Once you get the hang of it though it's awesome fun!!!!
RABnasty
9/23/2017 1:34pm
Thanks for the info on the Pistons. My bike has tons of compression so thats a plus, I ordered some plastics they should be here on Monday and I am working with a friend of mine to get some graphics made so it will start looking pretty sweet
Sidecar
9/24/2017 12:34am
Looking forward to seeing the new look.... When I change mine up I'm tempted by the Pro Circuit look that Jamie Dobb raced at Farleigh Castle last year... It was probably the best looking K5 I have ever seen....

RABnasty
9/24/2017 9:10am
Damn! I haven't seen that bike before I love the blue and the Hotwheels! Pro Circuit Split Fire bikes are always badass. I am going to get me some of those frame guards from WC also. I am getting my plastics tomorrow hopefully and can start working on graphics and adding all the little fancy pieces. What are the best wide pegs that fit these bikes?
Sidecar
9/24/2017 10:44am
Mine has these, not standard but I don't know 100% what they are...

RABnasty
9/24/2017 3:36pm
I think I'm going to go with the IMS pegs and just hope they are good
Sidecar
9/24/2017 10:35pm
I think you will be safe with IMS.... My brother is into his XR400s, he's building a full moto version slowly and has several IMS items on his wish list, he just went down the A-loop seat and tank route... He's pretty clued up on after market add ons and rates IMS highly.
David934
9/25/2017 2:27am
Sidecar wrote:

How with power your sidecar? I think in our championship run all racers about 700cc engines 2 or 4 stroke
Sidecar
9/25/2017 10:40am
Sidecar wrote:

David934 wrote:
How with power your sidecar? I think in our championship run all racers about 700cc engines 2 or 4 stroke
We run a v force 3 reed Block and have the head skimmed to up the compression, we have a custom made Van Hasselt pipe and a billet clutch with heavier springs to handle the extra power, we are over 60bhp.... The big Zabel 700cc 2 strokes are over 70 bhp but struggle getting that power down, especially in the mud and are notoriously un reliable, apart from our big crash a couple of weeks ago we have finished every race this season.... Here's a pic of us coming off the gate last weekend, power is only useful if you can get it to the ground...

David934
9/26/2017 12:08am
Sidecar wrote:

David934 wrote:
Sidecar wrote:
We run a v force 3 reed Block and have the head skimmed to up the compression, we have a custom made Van Hasselt pipe and...
We run a v force 3 reed Block and have the head skimmed to up the compression, we have a custom made Van Hasselt pipe and a billet clutch with heavier springs to handle the extra power, we are over 60bhp.... The big Zabel 700cc 2 strokes are over 70 bhp but struggle getting that power down, especially in the mud and are notoriously un reliable, apart from our big crash a couple of weeks ago we have finished every race this season.... Here's a pic of us coming off the gate last weekend, power is only useful if you can get it to the ground...

Thanks for explanation, what is the series? British championship or local race?
Sidecar
9/26/2017 9:49am
No worries. Selected British Championship rounds, all the clubman national championship rounds and 1 or 2 other races, we like to race about 10-12 times a season....

I don't want to derail this thread away from the OPs 500 build though.... Any progress on it???
RABnasty
9/27/2017 11:53am
Feel free to talk about whatever it will keep the attention off me and possibly save me some money lol. Anyways I put the plastics on and now I am just waiting for graphics. I also went and got my paddle tire and will be putting it on sometime this week hopefully. Now I just have to save my pennies for suspension and wheels and sell my goddamn 450 first lol. My wife told me I was supposed to sell my 450 before I bought any parts for the 500. Well you guys can see how well that went.

On another note, the photo uploader decided to just stop working for me on Vital. I tried the photobucket thing and they charge you a minimum of $60 a year to have 3rd party hosting for photos. I'm not sure what else to do to get my photos on here so this is all I have for now.

Bearuno
10/10/2017 9:53am Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 10:16am
Did Ty Davis' Zip Ty do a more MX sized tank and Shroud ( I can't recall the KX250 year the shrouds were based on) and Exhaust set, other than the big Desert Tanks I've seen?

I've always thought a smaller tank version would be a nice styling change on the KX500. I'm not sure if the different rear guard in this picture was part of the Kit / Set:

Not good pictures - I've a couple of non Dual Sport pics with a std rear guard, but they are tiny and worse than these two.
RABnasty
10/11/2017 10:27am
Bearuno wrote:
Did Ty Davis' Zip Ty do a more MX sized tank and Shroud ( I can't recall the KX250 year the shrouds were based on) and...
Did Ty Davis' Zip Ty do a more MX sized tank and Shroud ( I can't recall the KX250 year the shrouds were based on) and Exhaust set, other than the big Desert Tanks I've seen?

I've always thought a smaller tank version would be a nice styling change on the KX500. I'm not sure if the different rear guard in this picture was part of the Kit / Set:

Not good pictures - I've a couple of non Dual Sport pics with a std rear guard, but they are tiny and worse than these two.
Thats definitely different I haven't seen that shroud/tank set up before. I am going for more of a traditional motocross retro style with desert amenities.
RABnasty
10/11/2017 11:07pm
Boyesen ignition cover.

Next up is WC frame guards, hopefully some Ti bolts. Still waiting on graphics.
RABnasty
10/18/2017 12:13pm
Sidecar wrote:
Coming along nicely....
Thanks Sidecar! You might be the only one following but its all good. It takes me a while unfortunately its just kind of getting one or two little things every couple weeks. But I do get paid tomorrow and I'm going to order some goodies. I am taking a trip to Glamis CA to ride some sand dunes hopefully around Halloween and will try to get some videos and pictures!
Sidecar
10/19/2017 12:31am
Glamis... Living the dream. It’s a long way from what we ride in the UK....

I pretty much ruined a big K5 motor at the weekend running it in an old sidecar chassis at the Weston Beach Race... It stopped running with a couple of loud cackling pops and a grinding noise, not torn it down yet....

Before, during and after photos.... Supposed to run for 3 hours in deep wet sand against 400+ Quads and 50ish other sidecars... only ran for about an hour. We will be back next year....
RABnasty
10/19/2017 10:07am
That looks like a riot! That is awesome. I will try to upload some videos of riding in Glamis you should definitely make your way to California and hold a K5 wide open in the sand dunes someday
YZed250
10/20/2017 10:23am
Hey @ Sidecar. Holy crap, you raced a sidecar at Weston!?! as if it wasn't hard enough!
Give us all a surprise and tell us how much premix you burned during the race?
Sidecar
10/20/2017 11:11pm
Haha, yeah I’m a regular at Weston on a sidecar, it is just as savage as you think it’s going to be, my brother nearly passed out heaving it over a dune this year, hardest thing I do all year by a large amount... We burn through a lot of fuel, she’s pretty thirsty, over 3 litres a lap or almost a US Gallon, I took 35 litres of fuel with me this year but she only ran for about an hour, out of 3, so gave what fuel I had left to a mate who was racing a bike on Sunday.

RABnasty... I would love to go on a trip to the US, my only problem being when I have the spare time and money for a trip like that my Wife uses it going to visit her family in South Africa.... Wich I don’t mind as it’s a rad place to visit and her seeing her family means a lot to us.... maybe one day il make it to California.
Kidkawie
10/24/2017 6:06am
Sidecar, why are you running cast pistons?

Sweet bike RABnasty, coming along nicely.
Sidecar
10/25/2017 11:25am
Kidkawie wrote:
Sidecar, why are you running cast pistons?

Sweet bike RABnasty, coming along nicely.
It’s a genuine Kawasaki piston.... We are sponsored by a Kawasaki dealer so get them at a very good price, this is the first issue I have had...

Post a reply to: KX 500

The Latest