How to clean carbon out of old pipe?

rucka356
I am working on a 2002byz125 build and just pulled the pipe off.... wow, talk about a lot of build up!!! Any tips on the best way to remove from inside pipe? I saw a few videos on YouTube where people burn them off using A heat gun. Any other good ways?
|
FarleyMX25
9/12/2020 8:31pm
A heat gun or torch until they get hot enough to burn is how I’ve always done it.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
9/13/2020 11:48pm Edited Date/Time 9/13/2020 11:49pm
I tried many of the popular methods. None of the liquids I tried did really anything.

I did try some lacquer thinner just in the first bend of the head pipe to see if it would cut. Nothing.

Since I have been removing dents with a portable torch I haven’t really had the confidence to subject the inside to a great deal of heat. Burning off residue is not that easy and will still leave a crust.

What would be great is a flexible chimney/dryer vent type of rod. That could be put on a drill and pass the cleaning head back and forth.
9/14/2020 12:41pm
This is going to sound kooky, but bear with me

Lead fishing weights are harder than the carbon, and softer than the pipe. They're cheap as hell in little bags. I'll bet about 200 of those inside the pipe concentrated around the first turn shaken vigorously would knock a lot of it out. If anything, it would definitely loosen it up enough that the popular methods would work. Cap both ends and just shake the piss out of that thing until your arms fall off.
DD325
9/14/2020 7:42pm
This is going to sound kooky, but bear with me Lead fishing weights are harder than the carbon, and softer than the pipe. They're cheap as...

Lead fishing weights are harder than the carbon, and softer than the pipe. They're cheap as hell in little bags. I'll bet about 200 of those inside the pipe concentrated around the first turn shaken vigorously would knock a lot of it out. If anything, it would definitely loosen it up enough that the popular methods would work. Cap both ends and just shake the piss out of that thing until your arms fall off.
We used to do the same with clean crushed limestone and straight gas. Worked pretty good.

The Shop

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
9/15/2020 12:45pm
I tried the objects in the pipe and shaking thing. It did not work for me.

I did use a mini acetylene/oxy torch and burned it. This worked very well. What little residue was left was easily scraped out.
9/15/2020 1:01pm
You could just run a castor with a 450° flashpoint, you'd never have carbon, but you'd have to hang the pipe up and let it drip out of the stinger for a week. That's what I did with my road going twostrokes in Japan. 12K miles on an NSR, the pipes are flooded. (Then throw em away and put Tyga pipes on em anyway)
lumpy790
9/16/2020 7:38am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
I tried the objects in the pipe and shaking thing. It did not work for me. I did use a mini acetylene/oxy torch and burned it...
I tried the objects in the pipe and shaking thing. It did not work for me.

I did use a mini acetylene/oxy torch and burned it. This worked very well. What little residue was left was easily scraped out.
DO THIS OUTSIDE!!! It smokes a LOT!

Working at a Yamaha shop in Keokuk Iowa we did a lot of work on the Yamaha YSR50 and with the oil injector they had a real carbon buildup problem.

Used a Oxygen/acetylene torch set on a low Barely burning flame in the exhaust port side of the pipe to get the burn started and burning well. Then turn off the acetylene but keep feeding oxygen into the pipe to feed the burn but do not get it burning to bad or it will burn a hole through the pipe.

We had a fire truck stop by once to see what all the smoke was.
JBlain619
9/16/2020 8:04am
This is going to sound kooky, but bear with me Lead fishing weights are harder than the carbon, and softer than the pipe. They're cheap as...

I used this method on an old RM125 Bill's pipe in 3 steps.

1. Just the weights, cap both ends and shake like hell, un-cap and blow the pipe out with air.
2. Added a little diesel fuel, add weights, cap both ends and shake like hell, un-cap and blow the pipe out with air, let sit 48 hrs.
3. Repeat step 1.

Post a reply to: How to clean carbon out of old pipe?

The Latest