How often should you rebuild a offroad race bike

Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 6:02pm
Hello I race desert races and HAVE NOT gotten this bike yet but i am a B class rider and I was wondering how often you should rebuild it? My guess is if you take really good care of it at about 150 hours? I rebuilt my 125 at every 30 hours and my friends rebuild there 250 2 strokes every 50 hours. My friend (who doesnt race) has about 300 hours on his 2008 yz250f and changes the oil and every 10 hours or so, but he doesnt ride very hard hes kind of a weekend warrior, I change the oil on a 450 I own every 5 hours just to keep it fresh it has about 30 hours on the motor. It's a 2003 crf450r and I have raced it and I have decided that it's to big for me and I constantly get my ass handed to me on it lol.
Thank you for your time and dont be rude please.
|
GoYamaha
8/4/2019 5:20pm
Go by what the manual says. The manufacture is always right. If you follow the chart they give you, you 99% of the time will find an issue before it becomes one to begin with.
rk337
8/5/2019 4:59pm
This is for a 4 stroke rebuild, or 2 stroke?
Like the above says, follow the manual and you can't go wrong.

I race desert on a 250 2 stroke. and would do a top end every 30 hours or so. Would do one over the summer break, and the the winter break. I only rebuilt my bottom end around 90 hours because I blew it up in a race, and then slid in a new top end while it was apart.

I use the hours as a reference, but mainly go off how it's working. At least with my bike I can tell when the top end needs a refresh, and it may be sooner. Depends on how hard yo are racing it, and also the conditions. You said you change the oil every 5 hours which is great, some races I may change the oil after just that race. Pending how hard I was on the clutch and so forth.

Post a reply to: How often should you rebuild a offroad race bike

The Latest