Honda cr 125 '90

Bought myself (another) project Laughing

Picked it up without engine for approx 70$Shocked

Thought it was a '94, but frame is '90 and tank and covers are '94, and I'm pumped that it is a Evo!

This is much cheaper rebuild than my '01 cr. And I'll work on it when I'm waiting on parts for the other one. Don't got a time frame for it either. Just for fun.

Basically I'll do this:

Powdercoat frame
Blast/refurbish the swingarm
New bearings everywhere
New/refurbish rims/levers/cables/calipers
New correct plastic
Service suspension and some mods

So this will be a good working '90 bike to shred on that I don't need to wash the same day.
The bike have been spray painted, but it looks like a fairly low hour bike. Most of the bolts are original, suspension nitrogen container not too worn, no chain drag in the swingarm etc etc.

In our evo class, we are allowed to do some suspension tuning, and I'm doing this by myself. Is there any updated base-valves available and where do I find correct springs for my weight?

Tore the bike down for powdercoat. Chain adjusters snapped of course, and linkage to swingarm bolt are stuck of course. Other than that, everything got loose easy. Found 1 crack in the frame that I tig-welded. Dropping off at powdercoater as soon as I get an Ral-paint code.

Also I have had time to blast the calipers, triple clamps and minor stuff. Will get you some pictures later.

|
1/15/2017 5:14am
Got linkage,swingarm and steering stem bearings on order.

Blasted triple clamp, I'll probably leave the finish like this, as it's not a sema bike.. Smile

Frame ready for powdercoat

Box of bolts getting electro zinc plated. I'll probably media blast some first, or dip them in acid.

Did a quick check on the swingarm. I'll media blast the whole thing first, then I'll sand it with 240/320 and Scotch brite it to give it a "factory" look on the sides and top.

SLOWTIME
1/15/2017 7:30am
Any plans for the old 94 Shrouds? I'd be interested in them. Thank you for rescuing another 90's Honda!
1/15/2017 10:24pm
I'll keep them until I get a complete '90's set. Then I can pass them on!

One side is cracked toughSad

Will drop off all the bolts I'm keeping/not replacing to get new plating on Thursday Smile

Thanks! This will be a keeper for a long time Cool
SLOWTIME
1/16/2017 6:42am
Sounds good, if only the left side is cracked, I wouldn't mind!

The Shop

1/16/2017 7:00am
To be fair, I bought it from a hillbilly who didn't have a clue what it was, and I wasn't sure either! Grinning

Lucky shot I guess, thanks Smile
omalley
1/16/2017 8:07am
Awesome-'90 125 was my first new bike. Rocket engine, forks that would make the most hardcore rider want to take up basket weaving...lol
1/16/2017 8:12am
I have a rg3 connection who is over at rg3 America and attending some supercross right now. Told him to look for some old base-valves and trick stuff for the fork Tongue I might get lucky Smile
1/21/2017 10:02am
Got the dog bone Tore down and refurbished with new bearings. Still haven't gotten the knuckle out of the swingarm... also the steering stem bearing got pressed on. Frame probably finished next week at the powdercoater, went with RAL 9010. Smile

1/21/2017 11:59am
Im looking forward to this one, I love the looks of early 90s CRs
1/22/2017 4:44am
Had to cut the bolt that goes thru the swingarm, 8 tons of pressure didn't rub it..

By far the worst linkage/suspension I have torn apart..

Did a quick grind and rubbing on the swingarm. This will have to do for this bike, it's a runner and not a show-stopper Grinning

1/26/2017 9:09am
Got the old bearings out and got the linkage refurbished.

New steering stem bearings and races.

Now I need to collect some parts and stuff, but I have my biggest focus on my other bike, so we shall see when this gets attention again..

Hopefully my electro plated oem bolts are finished soon at least Smile

1/27/2017 6:52am
Rebuilt the rear master cylinder, waiting on caliper rebuild kit.. put some maxima grease between the pushrod and piston also. Mounted up with loctite Smile

The rear caliper bracket was missing, but I managed to find one that I refurbished. Also had new sliding pins and so on lying in the shop from when I switched out to Titanium on the other build.

1/27/2017 8:49am
Love where this is headed!
Thanks! This build is so much "easier" than my other so it's another type of fun, just disassemble, clean and put together. I really enjoy it and have the mindset so I don't care that I put on "old" and not 100% perfect new parts. Like brake hoses, screws, clamps etc etc. It will be a really good and solid "daily driver" to make some scrubs with in the evo class with the old boys GrinningWoohoo

I'm also keeping a complete parts-cost list. So I will know for sure what it's costed me finished.WhistlingSmile
1/27/2017 5:57pm
Love where this is headed!
Thanks! This build is so much "easier" than my other so it's another type of fun, just disassemble, clean and put together. I really enjoy it...
Thanks! This build is so much "easier" than my other so it's another type of fun, just disassemble, clean and put together. I really enjoy it and have the mindset so I don't care that I put on "old" and not 100% perfect new parts. Like brake hoses, screws, clamps etc etc. It will be a really good and solid "daily driver" to make some scrubs with in the evo class with the old boys GrinningWoohoo

I'm also keeping a complete parts-cost list. So I will know for sure what it's costed me finished.WhistlingSmile
I'm doing a very similar restore on a 1995 CR125 and can't wait to race with the other EVO bikes. The 90's were the best.
1/28/2017 1:24am
Yeah it will be fun for sure!

Managed to squeeze in some small cleaning prep between company paperwork and dinner with Gf yesterday.

Just need the caliper rebuild kit, and then I can bleed the rear brake system.

1/30/2017 5:34am
Disassembled the front forks waiting on a rebuild kit, torn it apart down to each shim, and it looked like I suspected, yuck!Dry

Had to make a tool for the cartridge also.

Does anyone got info on what viscosity and amount of oil I should start with?

Springs are unmarked so probably stock. Will start there as it's easy to switch springs later.

1/30/2017 10:42am
Got the swingarm bearings today, got it assembled just now!

Now I just need to get the chain adjusters bolts out.. Whistling easier said than done..

Swingarm is reasonably shiny for a unit thats never been touched (I'm pretty certain it was the OEM bearings all over.. )

125mx.fi
1/30/2017 12:32pm
Are those fork cartridges steel? Pushrods too?
And pistons.. size of thumbnail, oh wow. Let me quess, forktubes dont have any coatings inside...No wonder everyone called then jackhammers Wink

So what's the plan, coatings everywhere? Gold valves? Or something else?
1/30/2017 12:46pm
125mx.fi wrote:
Are those fork cartridges steel? Pushrods too? And pistons.. size of thumbnail, oh wow. Let me quess, forktubes dont have any coatings inside...No wonder everyone called...
Are those fork cartridges steel? Pushrods too?
And pistons.. size of thumbnail, oh wow. Let me quess, forktubes dont have any coatings inside...No wonder everyone called then jackhammers Wink

So what's the plan, coatings everywhere? Gold valves? Or something else?
It's all wonderful japanese steel with no coatingsGrinning
Plastic bushings on the cartridge with doubtful fitmentGrinning

No coatings, and no gold valves.. I'm gonna race it in evo, so I'll have to jackhammer it Whistling

Also this fork is too beat up to put those kind of money in. I'll rather find a set of wp or some aftermarket forks that are approved for evo racing. Unsure
125mx.fi
1/30/2017 12:54pm
How is your EVO rules, are they same as here; outside tubes must be originals but you can have anything inside?
And do they have, wildest 500 hondas have modern 48mm WP cartridges stuffed inside :D
1/30/2017 1:13pm
Have not looked it up to the fullest yet, but it might bebas youre saying here also! but if I'm dumping a shit load on suspension on this one, it will be some aftermarket stuff.. Smile
1/31/2017 8:59am
Spokes was seized, and the rims were pretty bad, so I decided to cut the Spokes and getting new rims..

Blasted the hubs and some scotch bite, will have to do.

Hopefully I have bought another running 90 for cheap to take parts from. But I don't trust the seller before I have it at home, but hopefullySilly

Banana_oil
1/31/2017 9:49pm
Nice to see a Swedish evo build! Where are you located?
I'm in Gothenburg and have a 90 cr125 that I restored some years ago. It's very nice to ride despite the harsh forks, they are better than I expected but by no means good
2/1/2017 2:43am
Banana_oil wrote:
Nice to see a Swedish evo build! Where are you located? I'm in Gothenburg and have a 90 cr125 that I restored some years ago. It's...
Nice to see a Swedish evo build! Where are you located?
I'm in Gothenburg and have a 90 cr125 that I restored some years ago. It's very nice to ride despite the harsh forks, they are better than I expected but by no means good
Thanks!

I live in Karlstad. But I'm racing VGC on my 250f this year Smile

Yeah hopefully it will be a fun bikeTongue
Banana_oil
2/4/2017 12:46am
Btw I use 10w oil in my forks as I was told by someone who raced back in the day that the 5w oils that are standard now wasn't used at that time so the fork would be to soft with 5w.

Did you buy the other bike?
2/4/2017 2:24pm
Banana_oil wrote:
Btw I use 10w oil in my forks as I was told by someone who raced back in the day that the 5w oils that are...
Btw I use 10w oil in my forks as I was told by someone who raced back in the day that the 5w oils that are standard now wasn't used at that time so the fork would be to soft with 5w.

Did you buy the other bike?
Thanks!

Got 15w in the shop, and 10w in the bus in Spain, guess I'll have to buy moreShocked

Volume? 130mm?

No he bailed on me..
2/24/2017 8:55am
Picked up some hardware from electro-plating. Turned out awesome!

Suspension is serviced, just need to fix a seal-driver and pour some oil in.

Post a reply to: Honda cr 125 '90

The Latest