Everyone loves a good Moto trailer build!

Edited Date/Time 9/20/2019 5:42am
So I bought this brand spanking new 7×14 enclosed trailer a couple weeks ago. Here's the progress I've made on it so far. I have some electrical outlets ran through it, I insulated and covered the ceiling. Threw on a couple coats of kilz. Now I'm currently building the cabinets. More progress pics to come ?

|
pbody
Fantasy
347th
3/6/2019 12:08pm
Looking good....I just started looking for an enclosed trailer. How much was this Sharp? And what gravitated you to this brand?

Keep the pics coming.
3/6/2019 3:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2019 3:26pm
pbody wrote:
Looking good....I just started looking for an enclosed trailer. How much was this Sharp? And what gravitated you to this brand?

Keep the pics coming.
It's actually a United. Sharp is the dealership I bought it from. The overall price of this one was $4500. I had a couple buddies that bought smaller United trailers and I really liked the build quality of them. I will only be using mine for racing and to haul a lawn mower occasionally, so I didn't need a super heavy duty extreme built trailer anyway. I have some more work done though I'll upload the pics here shortly.
3/6/2019 3:20pm
Here is some more of the cabinetry that I got done last weekend. I can't decide if I want to put doors on them or leave them open. All of the shelves have a 1" lip to keep anything from falling out. Opinions and ideas are welcome!

cmotodad
3/6/2019 6:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/6/2019 6:19pm
I would probably leave it without doors. Let the gear air out between uses. Plus i like the look of the gear in it's place.

The Shop

chewy4063
3/6/2019 6:24pm
Agree. No doors unless for some reason you are having issues after driving a few times, which I doubt.
3/6/2019 6:53pm
cmotodad wrote:
I would probably leave it without doors. Let the gear air out between uses. Plus i like the look of the gear in it's place.
The gear cabinet is staying open for sure just because of that reason. The other part though directly in the front will be used for other items such as blankets, lights, various camping items ect.
cmotodad
3/6/2019 7:58pm
If you have the stuff in the front and you want it to stay cleaner, doors. Maybe some plexiglass doors would look good and let you where everything is. A plus to seeing through the doors, you are forced to keep things in order.
Gilby122
3/7/2019 3:31pm
Nice man! I just picked up a 7x16 over Christmas and did/doing the same thing. Fun projects for sure. Looks good!
SLOWTIME
3/7/2019 4:03pm
The cabinets look sick! Putting some carpet or padding on the insides of the helmet cubbies will prevent damage to helmet paint.. which will be caused by road vibration/ them rubbing on the sides of the cubbies. Just a suggestion.
SBD
3/8/2019 12:17pm
Looking great ! You have some cabinet making skills my dude !!
I love the gear rack, I might need to make one of those.
woodsgoon
3/8/2019 12:26pm
woodsgoon wrote:
make a better welder than a cabinet maker....
wait...maybe thats backwards.....UnsureUnsure
3/8/2019 1:17pm
I'll get around to tinkering with the trailer next week
. I'm currently getting this pig back together so I can figure out where I'm gonna put the chocks in the trailer
3/8/2019 5:01pm
SBD wrote:
If you decide to build one similar I'd be glad to give you the dimensions. I did a lot of test fitting to make sure I got the most out the available space.
3/8/2019 5:07pm
SLOWTIME wrote:
The cabinets look sick! Putting some carpet or padding on the insides of the helmet cubbies will prevent damage to helmet paint.. which will be caused...
The cabinets look sick! Putting some carpet or padding on the insides of the helmet cubbies will prevent damage to helmet paint.. which will be caused by road vibration/ them rubbing on the sides of the cubbies. Just a suggestion.
I normally keep them in a helmet sock. I just didn't have them on when I was doing the test fit.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
3/8/2019 5:29pm
Did you make the pieces that you are covering the seams of the wall sides or buy that? Not a trailer but my brother insulated and paneled a small shed and we are looking for something to cover the seams like you did on the trailer. Not finding anything inexpensive to use at Menards, Want something 1/8" or so thick by 2-3" wide.
3/8/2019 5:43pm
yak651 wrote:
Did you make the pieces that you are covering the seams of the wall sides or buy that? Not a trailer but my brother insulated and...
Did you make the pieces that you are covering the seams of the wall sides or buy that? Not a trailer but my brother insulated and paneled a small shed and we are looking for something to cover the seams like you did on the trailer. Not finding anything inexpensive to use at Menards, Want something 1/8" or so thick by 2-3" wide.
Those were in the trailer when I bought it. But you can buy the same stuff at Menards or home Depot in a 4'x8' sheet and you could just cut strips out of it. You can get a 1/4" thick piece of sanded plywood for about $30.
Brentyancich
3/11/2019 3:47am
Very nice work , I'm looking forward to the day I can do a similar build .
SBD
3/11/2019 7:52am
SBD wrote:
If you decide to build one similar I'd be glad to give you the dimensions. I did a lot of test fitting to make sure I...
If you decide to build one similar I'd be glad to give you the dimensions. I did a lot of test fitting to make sure I got the most out the available space.
That would be great ! Thank you so much!!
3/11/2019 7:40pm
I got the bike all finished up over the weekend so I was able to make a little more progress this evening on the trailer. About all I got around to doing was some paint and baseboard. I'm not really a fan of the color scheme but I had the paint leftover from remodeling my house. I'll probably end up repainting it all in the future to match my bike.

38special
3/12/2019 5:15am
Looks great. Awesome trailer and that's one of the nicest setups I've seen.

I'm guessing lighting is on your list - looking forward to that. I always powered mine with an onboard Marine battery.
3/13/2019 2:38am
38special wrote:
Looks great. Awesome trailer and that's one of the nicest setups I've seen. I'm guessing lighting is on your list - looking forward to that. I...
Looks great. Awesome trailer and that's one of the nicest setups I've seen.

I'm guessing lighting is on your list - looking forward to that. I always powered mine with an onboard Marine battery.
Yeah lighting is definitely on the list. I'm having trouble finding the right setup though. I can't put anything on the ceiling because I would hit my head on it. I'm looking for something I can mount in the top corner that doesn't look so out of place. I did get some E track down for the bike chocks today so I'll be uploading more progress pics sometime this week.
Gilby122
3/13/2019 8:53am

I went with the LED strips at wal mart. Two 12" lights for $19. I bought four packs so I had 4' of lights down each side. Wired them all together and to the switch/wall light that the trailer comes with and down to my battery. Lit that trailer up like Griswold's house! $80. I liked them because they just use the 3M tape and they're high and up out of the way. Don't really notice them during the day when they aren't on, but sure are nice when it's dark.

3/19/2019 9:42pm
Ok it's been awhile since I've worked on the trailer but I did get a chance to make some progress today. This will be mounted on a wall near the exit so I'll have easy access to the air hose and tools without having to track dirt through the trailer. I should have it mounted in a few days when I get time. I'll also be putting a door on this cabinet with some foam surrounding the compressor to keep the noise down.

simpson335
3/21/2019 12:39pm
I'm really digging the well though out functionality and execution on this build. Tagging so I can come back and look at this thread when I start mine soon. Still waiting to find a deal on a used rig, too much of a cheap skate to buy new.
rob162
3/22/2019 12:30pm
Don't use wheel chocks for the bike put a small strip of E channel right down the center going front to back. Then take your stand and set it over the channel put your bike sideways on the stand use a clip in/out d ring on each side of the bike and hook a tie down to each foot peg. You don't have to tighten it down super tight just snug and the bike won't move anywhere. It gives you the maximum amount of usable space. We have been doing this for a decade and has been great. We can fit a ton of bikes and gear in there when needed. And if it's just a bike or two gives us the maximum space to use for living space on trips.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
3/22/2019 2:08pm
rob162 wrote:
Don't use wheel chocks for the bike put a small strip of E channel right down the center going front to back. Then take your stand...
Don't use wheel chocks for the bike put a small strip of E channel right down the center going front to back. Then take your stand and set it over the channel put your bike sideways on the stand use a clip in/out d ring on each side of the bike and hook a tie down to each foot peg. You don't have to tighten it down super tight just snug and the bike won't move anywhere. It gives you the maximum amount of usable space. We have been doing this for a decade and has been great. We can fit a ton of bikes and gear in there when needed. And if it's just a bike or two gives us the maximum space to use for living space on trips.
That sounds interesting, could you post up a couple pictures?
3/26/2019 3:34pm
rob162 wrote:
Don't use wheel chocks for the bike put a small strip of E channel right down the center going front to back. Then take your stand...
Well I wish I would have seen this sooner before I had my other mounts installed. I'll save this idea for the future though! Anyways, here's some more progress pics. I still have to mount the door on the tool cabinet but as for now I'm gonna run with it. I also added some extra bracing due to the added weight.

Post a reply to: Everyone loves a good Moto trailer build!

The Latest