Euro 450 Husqvarna Supermoto Build.

philG
Edited Date/Time 4/23/2018 7:42pm
So my good friend and sponsor for many years has just built this, a 2108 FS450 with a few really nice parts .

The FS450 and TM 450 are the only readily available supermoto bikes now in europe ,
unless you got to Italy for the HM Honda,and while you can convert any MX bike , with the kit available over here, the costs are high when you have to start with an MX bike.

Bike on the right is they new build, the sister bike on the left is a 2017 FS450, that came from Danish SM WC rider Simon Vilhelmsen, as low hours and freshly rebuilt. It has some nice engine work done,

We got a set of Cobra clamps, and twin disc set up , and have 2018 TM Marzocchi forks, with Ohlins kit internals, which work really well.

|
blackdiamond
4/9/2018 3:49pm
Wow, that dual disc setup is impressive. For supermoto I would assume that is definitely a noticeable improvement?
philG
4/9/2018 3:56pm
Wow, that dual disc setup is impressive. For supermoto I would assume that is definitely a noticeable improvement?
Yes, the brake itself is a little better , but the rotating mass reduction is noticeable, changing direction feels a lot easier , especially in the faster stuff. We ran a BrakeTech Carbon Rotor on an Aprilia a few years ago , and that was unreal, was 300g lighter than the stock disc and made a lot of difference.

It was our first dry test this weekend and we were happy with the outcome. Bike is planted , and the feel from the tubular chassis , as opposed to the Aluminium TM frame is better .
Motofinne
4/9/2018 4:14pm
May i ask where i can follow "you" guys more? Instagram?

It would be cool to see more from your SM efforts.

I got the opportunity to ride a 08 SMR 450 once when SM was huge in the local area. It was so fun!
Bearuno
4/9/2018 11:25pm
I do like the double pipes.

The bifurcation at the header is lovely - It would be interesting to see the internals at that point, and what may exist at the port / head / manifold.

I see a lot of double pipes in Euro Supermoto. As a lot more power would be usable in Supermoto, over Motocross / SX, I'd guess that it's about just that - More Power - whilst keeping within Noise Restrictions, And keeping weight closer to the CofG. Big Long Mufflers have quite the 'tiller' effect.

I look forward to more of your racing these, this year, PhilG.

The Shop

philG
4/10/2018 11:27am Edited Date/Time 4/10/2018 11:36am
Yes, the pipes are very nice, welding is good, but not ridiculously so, which tells me the penetration is good, and they fit real well

Filter is swapped out for a 3D printed inlet trumpet and a K&N filter

Headers are the same both sides with a plenum added for good measure.

Also added is a Vertex ignition with custom maps for the DVR developed by EvoTech.

Its a way better bike than me, but i reckon we are going to give the lads at the front a bit of grief again, after not making the podium at all last year , after 2 years of being on it pretty much every round.

lumpy790
4/11/2018 6:05am Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 6:11am
Looks like Supermoto is making a comeback!

I tried to come up with a universal footpeg design but never found the magic design.

How are you doing coolant and crank case containment?

Looks like my muffler sliders?
philG
4/11/2018 8:31am
A little... in the UK it has been in decline for a long time, levelled out now , but tracks are hard to come by... by way of comparison, the test day we just did in Gemany at 235 riders, and 3 weeks ago the first round of the BeNeCup pulled in 187 riders from Belgium and Holland ( and a few brits ).
philG
4/11/2018 10:32am
Just released. new billet Swingarm , fits KTM / Husky 450, SM only.

The racer in me thinks mmmmm, but the engineer in me isnt so sure. And the extra stiffness isnt always what makes a guy at my level faster. Will get some feedback on it though, i know the guy that helped test it.

If you have to ask how much, it isnt for you.. or us either lol

skypig
4/11/2018 8:21pm
philG wrote:
Just released. new billet Swingarm , fits KTM / Husky 450, SM only. The racer in me thinks mmmmm, but the engineer in me isnt so...
Just released. new billet Swingarm , fits KTM / Husky 450, SM only.

The racer in me thinks mmmmm, but the engineer in me isnt so sure. And the extra stiffness isnt always what makes a guy at my level faster. Will get some feedback on it though, i know the guy that helped test it.

If you have to ask how much, it isnt for you.. or us either lol

I’ll take one.
philG
4/13/2018 12:12pm
We will wait and see. Might be a few cheap Suter ones kicking about.. the team that tested them , one of our bikes was ta WC bike of theirs, the other was supplied new by them . Interestingly, they ran stock arms last year , preferring them over all the shortened and strengthened they tested.
skypig
4/14/2018 6:38am
Super trick Swingarm

I’m sure, at my speed, I’d be unlikely to feel any difference (length or stiffness)
For the price I could finance my seasons worth of tires.

Still not sure if I can live without one. Smile
philG
4/22/2018 11:07am
So currently sat in the back of the boy's car somewhere in Belgium, on the motorway, watched the SX on my phone , and thought i would update this... first pic is the bike at tech, second is my team colleague , with the new swingarm fitted, and the thirfd is a view of the sand oval part of the track, we come down this straight , on sand ' which they water between races...on slicks, its basically tapped out in 4th , you would be on limiter on MX gearing.... good day for us, had some new guys move up, as they are now 40+ , i passed the guy that won the aeries last year in race 2 .. went 6-5 on the day, which for our first dry race was cool.. the twin discs set up is on point, made paases wher nobody expexted on the brakes on thw asphalt, even with factory Brembo stuff we couldnt do that before. Will hopefully have cam upgrade for next race ao we will ha ve a bit more speed. As a reference, the guy who won the Pro Class who has won WC races , was 8 seconds faster than me, we are within 1.2 of the front guy in our class.
skypig
4/22/2018 5:09pm
Very trick bike.
Thanks for sharing.

Also great to see Supermoto alive and well.
It’s still going ok in Australia, but I’d like to see some more resurgence.
philG
4/23/2018 12:03pm
Its very healthy in Europe, maybe not at the top level, but the club level has picked up.. 160 riders for the weekend, over 5 classes, all very competitive, German series is doing well, Swiss seems strong too, out next race will be a street circuit in St Wendel, always a good weekend.
skypig
4/23/2018 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2018 7:41pm
We have a cool annual street meeting in Newcastle, Australia.
Next to the beach and central business district.
philG
4/24/2018 4:26am
Yeah, A mate of mine has been and done it a couple of times, the double disc front end we have is from his French Championship bike.

Post a reply to: Euro 450 Husqvarna Supermoto Build.

The Latest