Crankcase repair

Edited Date/Time 7/13/2017 10:46am
Hi,

I'm pretty meticulous with maintenance on my bike and check all bolts regularly but on this occasion the rear sprocket /hub bolts came loose and ended up sending the chain into the crankcase where the clutch comes into the case.

I don't have the funds to replace the crankcase as I've been quoted over $2000 for labour, case, bearings and all the gaskets. I don't have the piece of metal that's missing either so are there any other recommendations on repairing?

Thanks

|
Tryhard
7/12/2017 12:47am
Naw man thats Fubar'd .... straight up ... buy some cases online and a rebuild kit and do it yourself with youtube!
avmechanic
7/12/2017 7:50am
For sure the case is totally fucked. Like Tryhard said. Buy a used case off ebay. Then it is time to learn to rebuild an engine yourself. Get a manual, buy a case splitter and any other special tools you need. It is a good time to rebuild if it is needed at all. It can be done at home for much less and you will learn some great skills. Youtube will have some great how to videos as well. If you absolutely can't do it yourself then try posting in a local Facebook dirtbike group or an add in Craigslist to find a local back yard mechanic that could do it. Buy what you need yourself then bring it to him to do. I see some local back yard mechanics offering to do work local to me quite often. Some guys might even come to your house and help you do it too. Good luck.
Greg
7/12/2017 10:53am Edited Date/Time 7/12/2017 10:55am
avmechanic wrote:
For sure the case is totally fucked. Like Tryhard said. Buy a used case off ebay. Then it is time to learn to rebuild an engine...
For sure the case is totally fucked. Like Tryhard said. Buy a used case off ebay. Then it is time to learn to rebuild an engine yourself. Get a manual, buy a case splitter and any other special tools you need. It is a good time to rebuild if it is needed at all. It can be done at home for much less and you will learn some great skills. Youtube will have some great how to videos as well. If you absolutely can't do it yourself then try posting in a local Facebook dirtbike group or an add in Craigslist to find a local back yard mechanic that could do it. Buy what you need yourself then bring it to him to do. I see some local back yard mechanics offering to do work local to me quite often. Some guys might even come to your house and help you do it too. Good luck.
Greg
Thanks for the reply, that's what I'd thought I'd have to do but dreading not. Looks like I'll have to source a half a crankcase and start the build. Do you recommend any bearings to replace or know of which are though to swap from case to case. It's a 2012 YZ450F.
Acidreamer
7/13/2017 9:19am
Replace every single bearing while youre that deep in the motor. Get the crank rebuilt. Best to do it now while youre there instead of letting it go and then trashing your new cases again.

The Shop

7/13/2017 12:15pm
Acidreamer wrote:
Replace every single bearing while youre that deep in the motor. Get the crank rebuilt. Best to do it now while youre there instead of letting...
Replace every single bearing while youre that deep in the motor. Get the crank rebuilt. Best to do it now while youre there instead of letting it go and then trashing your new cases again.
Yeah I was thinking something along those lines but with 100hrs I think it's time to fix (cheap as possible) and sell.

Post a reply to: Crankcase repair

The Latest