Clutch plates

Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 8:08am
Dose anyone on here no what way clutch plates go in and are the clutch friction plates the same on both sides cause people have said on the metal plates there is a sharp side and a smooth side what way do they go in sharp side facing the engine ?? Or smooth side facing the engine ??
|
YamahaJT1
1/5/2018 12:39pm
Some will argue, but it doesn't matter to me. The friction discs have material on both sides. The plates are plain metal.

If/when the friction discs carrier metal and plates come close to or do actually make contact, your clutch is shot because the friction material has been used up. Game over at that point. Replace/rebuild before that point always.

Here is a typical new clutch stack. Note the gap between friction discs and plates:

Seems to work for me...

1/5/2018 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/6/2018 8:08am
The rounded side of the tab on the plates goes in, towards the motor. This helps the clutch engage smoother.
YamahaJT1
1/5/2018 1:03pm
The rounded side of the tab on the plates goes in, towards the motor. This helps the clutch engage smoother.
I can see your point... Conversely, it could be said that disengagement would be more difficult and stiffer/gritty clutch feel. A quality setup mitigates that.

Best solution is quality oil and frequent changes. That is the overall key. Take care of the toys!

Post a reply to: Clutch plates

The Latest