Clutch_Luck's 2007 RM125

Edited Date/Time 6/10/2018 12:53pm
Hello all.I have been following a lot of the 2 stroke build threads and thought I'd finally share my own. I have 2007 RM125 that I got from trading my 03 Banshee that I ironically got after selling my 06 RM125 Whistling Lol lets just say I didn't realize how much I loved this bike until I let it go.

But anyways my plan with this bike is to make a really good beginner's motocross bike. I have actually never even been to a motocross track. I normally spend most of my time woods riding but I want to start spending more time on the track.

Right off the bat I could tell that someone put some time and money into this bike at one point. The first thing I noticed was the initials J.M. on the cylinder and this bike hits really hard in the mid to top so I think its safe to assume that it has been ported. Much different from my old RM but in a good way. Does anyone who may be close to the Arkansas/Missouri area recognize these porting initials?

The bike also has vforce reeds, an over-sized motomaster front brake rotor and a motomaster rear disc as well, an fmf factory pipe with the shorty silencer, and T.M. Designworks chain guide/slider. I think I have a really good base to start with

Now for the issues that I'm already aware of: The steering stem bearing was getting stuck and the linkage bearing were dry and starting to rust. They are both still good enough to be cleaned and redeemed but this puzzles me because the linkage bearings look brand new but they're rustyHuh
Also the air filter has no holder but the guy claimed to have just bought this filter brand new.

He couldn't give me any details about the parts on the bike and I don't think he really had a clue. He says he bought it about 8 months before we traded and it makes sense. I would guess whoever sold it to him did a really good job with it and he almost trashed it. But I'm here to save the daySilly

This is the day I brought it home. I took off the ugly graphics that were on it

I started the tear down a few weeks after

|
Camp332
7/27/2017 5:38pm
We can't see your photobucket photos. They are now charging money for their 3rd party picture hosting. Check it out.
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
7/28/2017 7:29am
JM is John Mitchell ....he is out of Texas. He has built a lot of motors for some very fast dudes over the years, Stroupe, Canard ect...
7/28/2017 3:50pm
JM is John Mitchell ....he is out of Texas. He has built a lot of motors for some very fast dudes over the years, Stroupe, Canard...
JM is John Mitchell ....he is out of Texas. He has built a lot of motors for some very fast dudes over the years, Stroupe, Canard ect...
Woohoo Thats good to hear. I should dig up his number and see if he has this bike on file so he can maybe tell me what he did to it..

The Shop

Slosh 112
7/31/2017 1:13am
Nice choice of bike there bro! I've got an 08 and its the most fun bike ever! Well not at the moment because it needs a frame transplant, but it carves corners. I was going to sell it to help pay for my new husky but to my surprise my girlfriend said I'm not allowed to get rid of it and have to keep it! Did not see that coming.
8/2/2017 12:09pm
I have very limited time to spend messing with the bike during the week and most weeks I only have 1 off day so I spend most of my spare time resting. I'm afraid that if I go into the garage to start working on it I'll be there all day and will crash when I go to work at night.

I finally got to the wheels and it wasn't pretty.
Guess that explains the front flat Dry

And the rear rim wasn't much better

I de-spoked the front rim and managed to removed all of the spokes but 5 so I cut them off. I don't know if I want to replace the oem spokes or get some excel spokes. I'm leaning towards excel spokes, stock hubs, and tusk wheels. Does anybody know if that combo works? I won't be buying any parts until at least another month so I'll have plenty of time to think about what I want to do with it.

8/2/2017 12:17pm
Slosh 112 wrote:
Nice choice of bike there bro! I've got an 08 and its the most fun bike ever! Well not at the moment because it needs a...
Nice choice of bike there bro! I've got an 08 and its the most fun bike ever! Well not at the moment because it needs a frame transplant, but it carves corners. I was going to sell it to help pay for my new husky but to my surprise my girlfriend said I'm not allowed to get rid of it and have to keep it! Did not see that coming.
This is actually my 2nd RM125 and I agree they are fun.. I plan to get another one after I finish this one. And I am definitely familiar with your bike and posts. You have THE most unique and best looking RM in my opinion. And yeah that sucks about your frame, hopefully you can find another one for a decent price. I see the 04 and up frames on eBay from time to time but I don't know how that works out with you being in AUS. Good luck but I'm sure you'll pull off something spectacular.
8/2/2017 6:53pm
I have very limited time to spend messing with the bike during the week and most weeks I only have 1 off day so I spend...
I have very limited time to spend messing with the bike during the week and most weeks I only have 1 off day so I spend most of my spare time resting. I'm afraid that if I go into the garage to start working on it I'll be there all day and will crash when I go to work at night.

I finally got to the wheels and it wasn't pretty.
Guess that explains the front flat Dry

And the rear rim wasn't much better

I de-spoked the front rim and managed to removed all of the spokes but 5 so I cut them off. I don't know if I want to replace the oem spokes or get some excel spokes. I'm leaning towards excel spokes, stock hubs, and tusk wheels. Does anybody know if that combo works? I won't be buying any parts until at least another month so I'll have plenty of time to think about what I want to do with it.

Combo will work fine, have seen them before.

Thinking of powdercoating the hubs?
8/4/2017 7:25am
Combo will work fine, have seen them before.

Thinking of powdercoating the hubs?
No not this time.. I did it before with my 06's hubs and brake calipers(I know I know) and it chipped before I even installed them(I may have dropped themWhistling ) The only thing getting PC'd is the frame

The 06 didn't turn out too bad. You're probably thinking "Why purple?" I was going to get some graphics that tied in the purple and red but I sold the bike before I really even had enough seat time to realize I loved it.

I'm going to file the casting marks down and smooth them out and then send them to Clayton at Trick Engineering to be cerakoted. I already started but It's time consuming and I wont be working on wheels until after the frame, suspension, and triple clamps have been taken care of so I halted that and moved onto finishing other stuff.
I still don't know which way I want to go with a lot of this stuff even though I have so many ideas. I want this bike to be very distinguishable but subtle at the same time. That makes no sense I know but welcome to my mind..

8/6/2017 7:55am
I did some messing around with the rear fender to see if I could make it look new again.. Didn't turn out too bad but probably would have been better if I put some heat on it afterwards. I'll More than likely use a black fender

wsc96
Fantasy
474th
8/7/2017 2:44am
In those photos at least it doesn't look like it turned out too bad at all. Wink
8/7/2017 5:04am
wsc96 wrote:
In those photos at least it doesn't look like it turned out too bad at all. Wink
Yeah it looks pretty good its just dull..
8/15/2017 2:13pm
I watched your youtube videos on the 2006 rm
I watched your youtube videos on the 2006 rm
Thanks. They will probably start picking up to 2 a week soon vs the 1 every Sunday now that I can start spending money.

Spent some time in the garage yesterday cleaning some of the bare aluminum parts. Found out that the bearings weren't as good as I thought plus I lost some of the good ones so I'll be buying all new ones. I kinda wanted to anyways

The glue residue on this swingarm was a p.i.t.a. I don't know if I want to put graphics over it in the future.

Should I be concerned about the marks on the subframe from the plastics rubbing??

8/15/2017 2:33pm
I also found time to sand down the casting marks on my triple clamps and I sent them to Trick Engineering to be cerakoted. Then I brought the frame down to All American Powder Coating which is very close to my home so hopefully they do well and I will use them more.

All cleaned up.

After filing

I polished the top clamp just for kicks. I only used up to 120 grit for the bottom

8/18/2017 1:14pm
I have a really wild vision for this build.. It is either going to turn out really great or really bad.. Either way this bike will look like nothing anyone has ever seen before..
8/24/2017 7:12am
The bearings I ordered came in today. I'm just waiting on the frame to come back from powder and the triple clamps to come back from cerakote then I can finally start the beginning assembly stages.

I messed around with the linkage today just because I had some free time and nothing else to do.

jeffro503
8/25/2017 4:19pm
It's looking good CL! I'm at about the same process as you right now with my 250. That lower linkage is exactly how I want mine to turn out. You did great on that. I have to wait for my motor to finish and then get some parts Cerakoted , and I can finally start putting mine back together. Good luck and keep up the good work dude!
8/30/2017 1:29pm
Thanks Jeffro and good luck with your build as well..

I finally received the frame back from All American Powder Coating and they did an outstanding job. They plugged all of the threaded holes which saves me a lot of headache and the color(semi-gloss black) is exactly how I imagined it should be. They even sprayed light enough that I can still read the vin.

And I also received the clamps back from Clayton at Trick Engineering. I really liked the burnt bronze color but it is really popular and I don't want my bike to look like anyone else's. So I opted for this.

They look really dark in the first picture but the other pics are a better representation of what they look like in person.

9/5/2017 10:47am
I have found a pleasant surprise. I was going to buy some new foot pegs but I just noticed that the pegs I have are IMS.. They are the super stock. I was oddly comfortable with the width but I didn't give that much thought because when I rode with these my foot would keep sliding off the pegs even with the grippy soles of my work boots.. So I will sharpen the teeth and maybe polish them a little and see if I like them when I put a few hours of ride time in..

9/7/2017 1:10pm
I sharpened the pegs up a bit and sanded away some of the powder coat and now they look a little better and should grip a whole lot better.

9/7/2017 1:19pm
I started installing bearings and everything was going smooth.I dropped the bottom steering stem bearing on no problem. Also installed the linkage bearings no problem, that is until I got to the linkage arm.Angry I tapped the little cage in too far and it deformed it so the needle bearings wouldn't go in. I was thinking no problem I will just take it back out and use one of the old cages. Wrong!! I applied heat again and tried to remove the cage but it just broke off. I had this same exact problem with my other build and I had to use a dremel to remove the cage. This is really frustrating because I think this is a design flaw. Anyways don't know if I want to deal with this linkage arm or just buy a Pro Circuit arm.

9/7/2017 1:24pm
I put together the frame,sub frame, swingarm, and Triple clamps and I like the blue triple clamps on the black frame.. I will definitely add a few more blue cerakoted parts soon.

FTB
9/7/2017 3:31pm
Yes, they do look nice.

BTW, your front brake cable bracket is facing the wrong way.
9/7/2017 3:56pm
FTB wrote:
Yes, they do look nice.

BTW, your front brake cable bracket is facing the wrong way.
Thanks. I only put it on so that I would not lose it..
Rohr144
10/17/2017 9:38am
Awesome build. I love seeing other Suzuki two stroke builds. Would anyone have any extra Rm125 parts they'd like to sell? I'm in need of a carb throttle slide, mine is chipping apart. I'm also selling a mikuni 38mm carb, brand new never used. Carb in pic

1/22/2018 6:12pm
It's been a while but I finally started back on the project.. I ordered some fork seals and bushings and a shock seal kit along with springs for all.. I will rebuild the forks with new springs but the shock will be koted or anodized and the spring will likely be powder coated.

I've decided to do a community build where I let the audience choose the colors (from my pool) and parts of the build. If you would like to cast a vote on the shock body check out my last video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCHPKz4W7yg

Anyway here are some pics of what I'm dealing with

1/28/2018 7:32pm
Forks rebuilt.. Still haven't decided if I want to have the shock anodized or just rebuild it now and do it later..

Coby_Hanks
1/28/2018 10:09pm
Watched your videos on you tube of the old bike,inspired my plastic scheme.

Post a reply to: Clutch_Luck's 2007 RM125

The Latest