Chrome powder coat

Micahdogg
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2020 5:31am
This may be as good of a place to post this as any, but does anyone have experience with chrome powder coat? I already know it won't look anything like chrome, but I talked to my local guy today and he said that in his experience it hasn't been flexible. He does a lot of dirt track chassis' and said that it chips away easily.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a drawback to the chrome-type powder coats, or if maybe he isn't doing something correctly in the process.
|
BCrews
Fantasy
3060th
1/16/2020 10:37am
Ive done a few things in chrome. Only small parts look good. Larger parts look like a fake or cheap chrome. Powder coat is durable but still can chip.
Kidkawie
1/19/2020 2:01am
Why not just chrome plate?
Sidecar
1/21/2020 1:30pm
My EML sidecar chassis was chrome powder coated about 7-8 years ago, it still looks pretty good wears like normal powder coating however it doesn’t look anywhere near as good as the real deal... these photos were taken about 12 months ago so it’s been on here a while in these.

I would do it again.

The Shop

icrashalot
1/21/2020 2:09pm
Sidecar wrote:
My EML sidecar chassis was chrome powder coated about 7-8 years ago, it still looks pretty good wears like normal powder coating however it doesn’t look...
My EML sidecar chassis was chrome powder coated about 7-8 years ago, it still looks pretty good wears like normal powder coating however it doesn’t look anywhere near as good as the real deal... these photos were taken about 12 months ago so it’s been on here a while in these.

I would do it again.

This thing is insane! Any more details on it or pics?
Micahdogg
1/21/2020 2:21pm
That looks pretty good to me. I'm only after a nickle plated finish. Thanks for sharing, I'll have to talk to my guy one more time.

Micah
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
1/21/2020 4:21pm
I have yet to install so I can’t comment on reliability but here is the red chrome powder coated I chose for my wife’s 21/18 wheeled CRF 195. Looks identical to the factory KYB/technical touch rear shock.
I am doing black chrome for my Husky.

Sidecar
1/22/2020 12:47am
Sidecar wrote:
My EML sidecar chassis was chrome powder coated about 7-8 years ago, it still looks pretty good wears like normal powder coating however it doesn’t look...

I would do it again.

icrashalot wrote:
This thing is insane! Any more details on it or pics?
I don’t want to hijack this thread but it’s a 1989 EML KX 500 that my Brother and me raced in modern sidecarcross from 2012 until the end of 2019.

We have spent a small fortune on it with custom built Talon wheels, a Van Hasselt exhaust, a GMX alloy tank, numerous radiators and other misc parts the engine is a slightly modified KX500 (skimmed head, v force reed block, 2 piece clutch cover, Talon billet clutch etc)

For 2020 we have purchased a 2016 Bastech chassis with a 660 Husaberg 4 stroke in it...
Kidkawie
1/22/2020 4:24am
Micahdogg wrote:
Difference between $150 and about $1000.
Ask around on BMX forums. What you dont want is a plater to polish the snot out of your frame. I had a place bookmarked but lost it, they did basically a factory type plating and wasnt expensive.

To me, the powder on the sidehack looks like aluminum. Not nickel or chrome.
Micahdogg
1/22/2020 10:27am
Kidkawie wrote:
Ask around on BMX forums. What you dont want is a plater to polish the snot out of your frame. I had a place bookmarked but...
Ask around on BMX forums. What you dont want is a plater to polish the snot out of your frame. I had a place bookmarked but lost it, they did basically a factory type plating and wasnt expensive.

To me, the powder on the sidehack looks like aluminum. Not nickel or chrome.
I had some parts chromed for a car maybe 5 years back. It was a supercharger outlet and three intercooler tubes and was about $500.

I would think for a MX frame and a swingarm, after shipping it would be nearly a grand. And yes, this shop did some extensive polishing, which I thought was mandatory for a good finish. This time around I would really prefer nickle plating so I'm not sure if the surface needs as much prep since I'm not trying for a mirror finish.

Micahdogg
1/22/2020 10:31am
smv ryder wrote:
I have yet to install so I can’t comment on reliability but here is the red chrome powder coated I chose for my wife’s 21/18 wheeled...
I have yet to install so I can’t comment on reliability but here is the red chrome powder coated I chose for my wife’s 21/18 wheeled CRF 195. Looks identical to the factory KYB/technical touch rear shock.

That is unlike any black chrome that I've seen. Do you have any other shots of it?
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
1/22/2020 4:27pm
smv ryder wrote:
I have yet to install so I can’t comment on reliability but here is the red chrome powder coated I chose for my wife’s 21/18 wheeled...

Micahdogg wrote:
That is unlike any black chrome that I've seen. Do you have any other shots of it?
Sorry.. lol
I was just posting up another color he has done.
We are prismatic powders black chrome II for my rear shock.
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/
DrewJett747
1/24/2020 2:55am
Might not be the finish you desire but I had a frame electroless nickel plated last year and its holding up really well. I had to prep the frame prior to shipping (races removed and sand blasted).

$50 shipping from St. louis to New Jersey
$250 for plating the frame
$50 for plating the swing arm

The hubs are powder coated Translucent Copper (Columbia Coats "Metal" brand) its their attempt at a metal finish.

https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/01/24/400040/s1200_c186_1ECBAE…" class="img-fluid" />

Micahdogg
1/24/2020 8:34am
For the KX that finish looks great, but I like the hubs a lot better.

At this point I'm thinking about giving up on the nickle plating or metal type finishes. I'm getting into unknown and more costly territory and its holding up progress. My guy does reliably good (and inexpensive) work and I would rather stick with the finishes he is comfortable with. I may just have to cross this bridge another time.

Thank you all for the pics though. I'm sure I will be crossing this bridge in the future and this feedback has been valuable.
mushymoto
1/25/2020 5:31am Edited Date/Time 1/25/2020 5:33am
Did an 02 RM144 (dipped/plated) over ten years ago and turned out sweet.. Wasn't all that expensive, the platers did some polishing prep which added to the cost but again don't remember it costing so much.
The only issue was the chrome eventually popped off around the foot peg mounts from flexing.

Post a reply to: Chrome powder coat

The Latest