Camp332's 2004 YZ 125

Related:
Create New Tag

5/26/2017 7:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/26/2017 8:58 AM

VitalBros!
I definitely love looking in this forum at all the builds. I'm going to attempt my best at providing a somewhat detailed, and most likely slow build thread. We'll see.

Anyway, I started with this clean 2004 YZ125 from my brother inlaw. I think he was the 3rd owner of the bike.
Photo

My friends, and my son helped with the tear down.
Photo

Photo

Some degreasing, and cleaning was needed before I sent parts off to my dad in Pittsboro, NC for powdercoating.
Picture of the swingarm with some good old build up on it.
Photo

Here is the engine after I did a good degreasing/scotch brite session.(It wasn't bad at all) any suggestions on removing that yellowish stain? Otherwise, I'm ok with how it came out.
Photo

Here are some of the parts I had powdercoated mirror black. I have the wheels(not pictured, but also mirror black) getting laced up, trued, and new bearings pressed in by RG3 New Jersey (Paul Bruno is a great guy to have work on your stuff), Paul is also pressing the lower steering stem bearing on for me.

Photo

The time to get things done on the YZ is limited, but I'll do my best to keep trucking on this bad boy as quickly as possible.

|

United States of America

5/26/2017 11:21 AM

I got a '04 YZ125 as well and I have been itching to spice it up a bit. Looking forward to seeing this build man!

|

5/26/2017 12:26 PM

ZM956 wrote:

I got a '04 YZ125 as well and I have been itching to spice it up a bit. Looking forward to seeing this build man!

Thanks ZM956! Definitely looking forward to riding this YZ. Haven't spent much time on a 125 since 2002, so I'm pumped.

|

United States of America

5/26/2017 12:31 PM

The 04-YZ125 holds the record for the highest level of Fun Factor. Was my son's first bike and was put through hell, not once did it let us down. Good on you and good to see Camp Jr. turning wrenches.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

5/26/2017 5:44 PM

ZM956 wrote:

Camp332 wrote:

Thanks ZM956! Definitely looking forward to riding this YZ. Haven't spent much time on a 125 since 2002, so I'm pumped.

Yeah man same here, just picked her up bout a month ago. Haven't rode my RMZ since!

|

5/26/2017 6:11 PM

ledger wrote:

The 04-YZ125 holds the record for the highest level of Fun Factor. Was my son's first bike and was put through hell, not once did it let us down. Good on you and good to see Camp Jr. turning wrenches.

Sweet! Can't wait. Dadlife and two wheels is a special thing.

|

United States of America

5/26/2017 6:41 PM

SOS pads might get the yellow stains off.

|

5/28/2017 1:48 PM

Bro! Do massive sqwatts while cradling the motor!

Seriously, looking good my friend. I'll be watching.

|

6/3/2017 6:42 AM

Quick peek at the wheels. These are the original excel wheels. My father powdercoated the rims and hubs in mirror black. I had RG3 NJ lace them up with Bulldog spokes, and anodized black Bulldog nipples. Also pressed in some new wheel bearings. I'll post more pics soon.

Photo

|

United States of America

6/4/2017 3:16 PM

Bro. I bought a $40 harbor freight media blaster, and blasted all the parts on my rm. works well for the money, just make sure you have a big air compressor or you might as well just throw the stuff at it. I used the air compressor on our work trucks, saves mess doing it at work too.

|

6/11/2017 7:39 PM

look out below wrote:

Bro. I bought a $40 harbor freight media blaster, and blasted all the parts on my rm. works well for the money, just make sure you have a big air compressor or you might as well just throw the stuff at it. I used the air compressor on our work trucks, saves mess doing it at work too.

Cool brother! I've been looking at the HF media blaster for little things. Good to know.

|

United States of America

6/11/2017 7:44 PM

Made some progress on the YZ. Still have a long way to go. Now I'm excited! (don't mind the clutter, my kids have a razor quad, a PW, a "frozen" jeep, bicycles, all crammed in my 14x20 workshop, this little area is where I work) laughing

Photo

|

United States of America

6/14/2017 5:57 AM

Camp332 wrote:

Made some progress on the YZ. Still have a long way to go. Now I'm excited! (don't mind the clutter, my kids have a razor quad, a PW, a "frozen" jeep, bicycles, all crammed in my 14x20 workshop, this little area is where I work) laughing

Photo

Nice bike man. I've restored a 97 yz125, I'm just waiting on the engine to come back from millineuim Technologies and she'll be good to go! Gotta keep these steel frames Yz's going man, awsome bikes. cool

|

8/29/2017 6:49 PM

Progress Post.
New bearings all the way around on this bike. Wheels, Steering stem, swingarm, linkages. Applied triple clamp to accommodate my favorite bars. Now it's time to order a clutch, and top end kit. Are there any aftermarket companies you guys would recommend for top end, and clutch kits? I heard wiseco is junk now.

Here are some update photos.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

United States of America

8/30/2017 1:48 AM

Looks good! I had a lot of fun building my 2002 yz125. The newer version of the air box and side number plates mount right up with some rivets if you're interested in that.

What will you be doing for graphics?

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

8/30/2017 5:26 AM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

Looks good! I had a lot of fun building my 2002 yz125. The newer version of the air box and side number plates mount right up with some rivets if you're interested in that.

What will you be doing for graphics?

Thank you!
Im going to stick with the original airbox, and just go with the newer front/rear fenders. Graphics will definitely be from 180decals. Still figuring that stuff out.

|

United States of America

8/30/2017 7:40 AM

Off topic: Are those RaceDeck tiles? How do you like them?

|

8/30/2017 8:42 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Off topic: Are those RaceDeck tiles? How do you like them?

Yes they are RaceDeck tiles. I love them for my "dirtbike workshop". The shop is a 14x20 wooden floor building, made by the Amish. The floor is super tough, easy to clean, and looks good.

|

United States of America

8/30/2017 9:44 AM

Camp332 wrote:

Progress Post.
New bearings all the way around on this bike. Wheels, Steering stem, swingarm, linkages. Applied triple clamp to accommodate my favorite bars. Now it's time to order a clutch, and top end kit. Are there any aftermarket companies you guys would recommend for top end, and clutch kits? I heard wiseco is junk now.

Here are some update photos.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

On my 05 YZ125 I used OEM topends kits, piston comes pre-drilled for the exhaust bridge, and mico sizes depending on your cylinder. size. Right at $125.00 for the entire kit, through my local shop. As for the clutch, same OEM. Being 54 and slow, I'm not that rough on the clutch racing in Vet races.

The bike is looking good!

|

8/31/2017 12:37 AM

I like it! My workshop is getting more crowded with kiddie vehicles too.

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

8/31/2017 6:34 AM

You gotta love it NorCal50+
Everything has to go outside when working on the YZ

Photo

|

United States of America

9/2/2017 5:39 PM

ummm camp... I don't see a squat rack anywhere? lets tighten up our game bro'

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

9/5/2017 8:14 AM

smoothies862 wrote:

ummm camp... I don't see a squat rack anywhere? lets tighten up our game bro'

Bro, that Rogue folding squat rack is on the dream list.
Here's a new piston pumping in the meantime. Ended up going Wiseco pro-lite after reading more good things than bad.

Photo

|

United States of America

6/18/2018 7:41 AM

Checking in! It's been a slow process since adding our 3rd child to the family in November. Anyway, I've made some good progress lately, and we are almost to the point of getting this baby started up. I am waiting on a new airboot this week, along with some other trinkets I ordered. The rest of the list to complete are pretty much aesthetic. Going to order plastics, and graphics from 180decals this week. Need a seat cover too. Otherwise here is an updated photo from yesterday.

Photo

|

United States of America

6/18/2018 7:43 AM

Oh yeah, I'm looking for some plastic frame guards to protect the powdercoat from my boots as best I can. Lightspeed didn't have any for the 04 and older steel frame YZ's anymore. Anyone else?

|

United States of America

6/18/2018 8:17 AM

Camp332 wrote:

Oh yeah, I'm looking for some plastic frame guards to protect the powdercoat from my boots as best I can. Lightspeed didn't have any for the 04 and older steel frame YZ's anymore. Anyone else?

Bike is looking good!

I used the UFO plastic frame guards on my 04. They look a tad goofy but they do the trick. I might pick up some black grip tape to put over them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-Plastics-Frame-Guards-Reflex-Blue-Yamaha-YZ125-YZ250-97-01/302704239314?fits=Model%3AYZ125&epid=171104861&hash=item467a9422d2:g:iVgAAOSwy5Ja0RWl

Photo

|

6/18/2018 8:20 AM

Agent717 wrote:

Bike is looking good!

I used the UFO plastic frame guards on my 04. They look a tad goofy but they do the trick. I might pick up some black grip tape to put over them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-Plastics-Frame-Guards-Reflex-Blue-Yamaha-YZ125-YZ250-97-01/302704239314?fits=Model%3AYZ125&epid=171104861&hash=item467a9422d2:g:iVgAAOSwy5Ja0RWl

Photo

Thanks man! I just posted in your build thread. Your bike looks amazing. Well done!

You just solved the problem, as I looked at those blue UFO guards, but was having a hard time dealing with the blue, since I had the frame PC'd black. Applying griptape is the key! Thankfully decades of skateboarding should have my griptape application looking factory works! Hahaha, thanks!

|

United States of America

7/19/2018 11:13 PM

Took a while, but I'm very happy.
Photo

|

United States of America

7/20/2018 8:34 AM

Hell yeah! Bike looks rad!

Did you blast the clutch cover? The Lightspeed frame guards are a nice touch with the black frame. Where'd you find those suckas?

|

7/20/2018 8:44 AM

Agent717 wrote:

Hell yeah! Bike looks rad!

Did you blast the clutch cover? The Lightspeed frame guards are a nice touch with the black frame. Where'd you find those suckas?

Agent717 thanks man! I wired wheeled and quickly sanded/scotch brite the cover. Those Light Speed frame guards were located on Ebay.

|

United States of America