CR250 kiwi edition

Edited Date/Time 8/24/2019 1:54am
Hey guys,

Have just picked up a 2003 CR250 that needs the treatment ? it’ll be a bit of a slow build as I will ride it for the next few months while summer is here then strip it and start again. Should end up pretty nice, have Akit shock, some B kit forks and some hrc stuff
Bikes in tidy condition for NZ , just has some oxidation on it as it’s been sitting for the last 4years

|
Keith72
12/31/2018 8:44pm
Should be a fun build. I can tell you if you keep that Mikuni put an S-7 needle jet in with the stock needle from 2002. Makes a huge difference in performance. Don't believe all the hype about how bad the Mikuni carb is. I was running a 390 main, 27.5 pilot with the 6BEY30-74 needle with the clip in either the 2nd or 3rd position from the top.I am about 1100 feet above sea level. You may need to adjust accordingly richer if your closer to sea level. And those were my summer time settings. If you are doing long full throttle runs or riding in deep sand or mud you probably want to go up on the main to be safe. Get the head squish cut by a reputable company like RB Designs. Makes a big difference. 22mm offset triple clamps. I rode an 03 for about 6 years. Was a great bike but decided to try something different.
kxman
1/1/2019 12:55am
Keith72 wrote:
Should be a fun build. I can tell you if you keep that Mikuni put an S-7 needle jet in with the stock needle from 2002...
Should be a fun build. I can tell you if you keep that Mikuni put an S-7 needle jet in with the stock needle from 2002. Makes a huge difference in performance. Don't believe all the hype about how bad the Mikuni carb is. I was running a 390 main, 27.5 pilot with the 6BEY30-74 needle with the clip in either the 2nd or 3rd position from the top.I am about 1100 feet above sea level. You may need to adjust accordingly richer if your closer to sea level. And those were my summer time settings. If you are doing long full throttle runs or riding in deep sand or mud you probably want to go up on the main to be safe. Get the head squish cut by a reputable company like RB Designs. Makes a big difference. 22mm offset triple clamps. I rode an 03 for about 6 years. Was a great bike but decided to try something different.
I have a billet 22mm off set lower triple clamp if interested
Keith72
1/1/2019 7:02am
kxman wrote:
I have a billet 22mm off set lower triple clamp if interested
Sorry, I no longer have the bike.
1/1/2019 11:09am
I’ll try your jetting specs for the mikuni, I didn’t even bother on my 07 CR250 just went straight for the pwk!
I will be getting the squish sorted aswell as getting it ported
Thanks for the offer on the clamps kxman but I already have a set.
What would be really nice would be a rear shock linkage for it??? I found one on eBay it’s got some job weld on it and it’s $350 usd which turns into $525 nzd?? plus freight
Will have to hold off on that at the moment ???

Going to be interesting how this jetting goes, the bike will be running on a 50/50 avgas and pump gas so should help with detonation until I get the squish done

The Shop

1/7/2019 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 7:44pm
I have a ride day coming up this Saturday! First time riding the bike, so have done some changes to the jetting (hopefully it works , should be in the ball park)

I’ve also added a few things to make it rideable for now
7/316515/s1200_EE3B740D_B9F1_402A_8206_71093B6BEAA1.jpg" class="img-fluid" />

These are steel foot pegs that we import and wholesale at my work, real aggressive,work well and aren’t to expensive

I’ve also put installed temporarily the forks, 48mm showas, Kashima /dlc coated, HRC clamps

These maybe valved and maybe resprung in the future but for the moment are running .46 springs in the front and work okay for me

My insta acc is @richardbeuck if you want to have a look at that, I’ve also got a 95 cr250 that features on there, had a full resto. Also some pretty good pics of me riding my dirt bike✊?✊?✊?✊?
1/7/2019 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 10:53pm
Also managed to fit the works connection launch
control, this one is used off my previous bike but the quality is great, especially with the lower tabs make it strong and doesn’t let the fork guard pull though the bolts

also fitted up a Braking 270mm oversized disc and bracket, I think it’s a real must have on a 250 2stroke to make it semi competitive under brakes

1/8/2019 7:53pm
I’ve had a go at cleaning the expansion chamber up, looked very average as it had been sitting with protectant on it and in a damp garage so it had quite a bit of surface rust on it
Basically used a scotch bright pad and a bit of elbow grease, didn’t go all out on it but it came up a lot better

Also used a gas torch on the welds to get them back to life, not that I’m that worried if the jetting is some where close it should get a bit of colour after the weekend✊?✊?
1/9/2019 6:11pm
Today I got the bars installed, Renthal twin walls 996 bend, just trying them at the moment as my favourite bend is the 999 ( super low) . Which I think I’ll go back to as when you compare to to a modern bike you sit quite low so it feels a bit like your riding a chopper ?
So bar combo is twinwall 996 bend, full diamond soft grips, lock wired on, works connection clutch perch ( I really prefer the pro taper clutch perch as it has a nicer pull, but thought it would look a average with a set of renthals ?

So after a fresh filter, oil change , tyre pressures done, here’s what I’m riding on Saturday

1/15/2019 11:04pm

So I went riding on Saturday and conditions were prime?? Track was ripped and watered, a lot of fast guys turned up. Here’s a video of Cody Cooper and Reece Carter ✊? How good does that track look?
https://www.facebook.com/1043321009019400/posts/2630284563656362/

Bike went well for a first ride (nothing fell off ) I couldn’t get the right needle in time so I ran 400 main,30 pilot, and stock needle. It wasn’t lean enough (bike ran a little flat on top) and was a bit spluttery down low ? so hopefully with going a bit leaner a new needle might sort that out

Also had a new muffler turn up today????

Didn’t really need it as the muffler I have has only done 2 hours, buuut that carbon/titanium is freaking cool. Haven’t done a weight comparison but how really cares how much weight you save these mufflers are ???
Keith72
1/16/2019 10:19am
Silencer looks good. S-7 or S-8 needle jet and the stock 2002 needle are a huge piece of the puzzle. I've been known to go as low as 380 on the main when it gets hot and humid.
1/16/2019 4:01pm
Thanks I have the needle and jet on order so will get on to that when it turns up??

Pulled my AKit shock out of storage and have had it stripped down for a re valve and a new black shaft put on so will match the forks?

7/25/2019 3:27am
Time to get started! It’s the middle of winter here in New Zealand so have started to pull the bike done and get to work cleaning the frame,engine etc

The frame has some sort of oxidation on it which is going to be painful to remove 🤦🏻‍♂️

Planing on using a hot water blaster, a mild acid, scotch brite pad and elbow grease 🤪 I’ll put some pics up tomorrow of my progress
Loch
7/25/2019 11:50pm
What year is your suspension,done anything to your motor yet!
7/26/2019 1:15pm
Loch- shock is A-kit and built to length for the CR250, forks came from Showa through a Japanese rider that came to New Zealand.
Motor has had a new cylinder , 07 base gasket to lower port timing,pro circuit works pipe and Ti-2 muffler, jetted. Will be getting the squish and porting done soonish. Will get it back together and look at doing those mods, it’s not bad to ride at the moment with the power but always could do with more
7/26/2019 1:23pm
I cleaned up the frame,radiators and engine yesterday, I tired soda blasting the engine and radiators but found I didn’t like the results and took way to long🤷🏻‍♂️ So hot water blaster, mild acid and scotch brite was the way. It’s not prefect but Came up miles better than before, plus took me less than an hour to do them all

8/9/2019 1:53am
Been busy with work, releasing 2020 FLY into stores across the country😍 so been a bit a slack on the updates
Have got the engine back in the frame, bolted up

Pulled the linkage bearings out and they were toast!
The lower shock bearing had one seal in the wrong way and was so seized that I couldn’t press the collar out ! The bearing, seals and collar came out the same time

New bearings from all balls and were are looking good
8/9/2019 8:16pm
Have got the A-Kit shock built, new black DLC shaft to match the forks, and valved to a spec to suit me, spring rate is stock so should be good

I place I work at is the importer for R.K chains, so on goes a R.K MXZ race chain and sprockets we have made. Since I’ve been paying for racing out of my own pocket I have never used a different chain apart from R.K 👌🏻

8/10/2019 5:38pm
Will be using Bridgestone tyres, that’s what I sell!

Will be using the X20 series front and rear, with a 110/90-19 rear, stock size but is my preferred tyre size for this chassis.
New hardware to mount the discs and sprocket aswell

I’m pretty impressed with the new range from bolt hardware, very comprehensive and priced right. Couldn’t get the CR250 In time so went with the 125 one , most things fit

8/15/2019 10:52pm
Gave the carb an overhaul and new vent hoses, Fluor green/ yellow not my favourite colour but it was what I could get at the time
Mxracer94
Fantasy
2753rd
8/24/2019 1:51am
Hey man where did you get the yellow hoses at for the carb
Mxracer94
Fantasy
2753rd
8/24/2019 1:54am
kdubsteezey
Fantasy
953rd
9/18/2019 11:13am
Looks good man! the suspension is trick! been saving up for an A-kit shock for mine... Is it a noticeable difference in performance over say a Full B-kit redone stock unit? Trying to decide what's the best bang for my buck. Fork is sick too!! Keep it up 🤘
plani67
9/26/2019 2:48pm
Mxracer94 wrote:
Try Ebay.

Post a reply to: CR250 kiwi edition

The Latest