No longer bastardized 150sx - Works Titanium Subframe

burns
Fantasy
968th
12/12/2021 12:50pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2023 3:10am

Currently have this 16' 150sx

Its an amazing bike. I've always been a hardcore 2 stroke guy until I rode my dads 18' 250sxf. After a little time on it I fell in love. So now the smoker is going to make room. I want to build up another 2 stroke but right now I don't have the space for 2 bikes.

I have a big issue. I like to go all out with my projects. Combining that with being a machinist/engineer means I spend way too much time modifying or making custom parts that probably don't actually bring much benefit. But they make me happy and isn't that all that really matters.

I do a lot of mountain biking, this is my main mtb.

Its a Zerode Taniwha frame which means it has a pinion gearbox. I modified the internals of the forks to let me run a 29" front wheel, I also designed and machined the triple clamps and had the outer legs cerakoted. There isn't much on the bike I didn't make myself or modify in some way.

Onto the 250. I wasn't planning on doing a frame up build, but I spend way to much time browsing on ebay and came across a 16' 250 Factory edition frame. I decided to throw an offer and long story short Its now in my possession.

I already have another frame up build, a R6 track bike. I also have very little room currently. Here is my shed.

So you can see im a little limited on space. I should have some actual shop space here next year but for the time being I gotta work with what I got.

I started off by pulling some of my parts off my 150 and swapping them over to the 250 frame.

Ohlins TTX rear shock
Luxon N2D Knuckle
Luxon Adjustable links

I forgot to get pics but I also picked up the Luxon lightweight bearing linkage race and all titanium hardware for the linkage.

I decided I wanted to go with GasGas plastics for this but I want to keep a orange and blue color scheme aswell. So I picked up some white plastics. I also got a tank and subframe in.

This is where its currently at. Im waiting on some wheels from Nacstar to come in this week.

Im also waiting on Luxon gen 2 triple clamps and some Fatbar 36 mounts from them

Ive got a few other cool bits like this Factory carbon chain guide

*****UPDATE*****

This bike has taken a few shifts since the start. I did not go the 250 route, I thankfully kept the 150 and have been having a riot.

Here is the build list as of 3/30/23:

Luxon N2D Knuckle

Luxon Adjustable Linkage

Luxon Lightweight Bearing Linkage Race

Luxon Gen 2 Triple Clamps

Luxon Lightweight Rear Brake Mount

Ohlins TTX Rear Shock

AER 48 Forks with custom Ohlins Damper

CRM Carbon Tank

Works Titanium Subframe

Carbon Fork guards

Nihilo Carbon Skid Plate

P3 Carbon Frame Guards

Buds Carbon Ignition Cover

TSP Billet Head

Clear Rad Hoses

Billet Team Clutch Cover

Guts Seat with Phantom Foam

1744 Creations Titanium Cone Pipe

Pro Circuit Ti-2 Silencer

Nihilo Billet Titanium Foot Pegs

Renthal 36 Fatbar

Luxon Fatbar Mount

1744 Creations Titanium Head Stays

Custom Shifter/Brake Foot Levers

Works Billet Throttle Tube

SmartCarb SC36

Carbon Disc Guard

Hope Tech Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders

Athena GET CDI

|
FarleyMX25
12/13/2021 3:38am
This is going to be a sweet build. I do some dh mountain biking. What brand of forks is on your mountain bike? I have a commencal supreme.
Bearuno
12/13/2021 3:47am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2021 5:09am
Pinion?

Here's one of my DH (226 to 236mm travel, dependent on rear drop out positioning /swingarm length ( with a 10.5 x 3.5" shock) frames with a Pinion GB, during the build up process, that is to go out in a day or two:

I'm not a happy Bear - the paint job is horrendously crap, just flaking off / scratching off at the slightest touch. I can't get my regular painter (tried another, supposed 'artiste', due to my painter being down for the count after axing himself - it's the Only thing I don't do in my frame making - painting) to re-do until after the 10th of January, so it's being put out to ride with no branding stickers - Bear Bikes - until then.
FarleyMX25
12/13/2021 3:56am
I’m talking about your suspension on the front. What brand is your double crown forks?
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/13/2021 3:58am
FarleyMX25 wrote:
This is going to be a sweet build. I do some dh mountain biking. What brand of forks is on your mountain bike? I have a...
This is going to be a sweet build. I do some dh mountain biking. What brand of forks is on your mountain bike? I have a commencal supreme.
they are manitou dorados

Nice! Commencal has some really sick bikes. Ive tried to buy a meta a couple times but always sold out

The Shop

burns
Fantasy
968th
12/13/2021 3:59am
Bearuno wrote:
Pinion? Here's one of my DH (226 to 236mm travel, dependent on rear drop out positioning /swingarm length ( with a 10.5 x 3.5" shock) frames...
Pinion?

Here's one of my DH (226 to 236mm travel, dependent on rear drop out positioning /swingarm length ( with a 10.5 x 3.5" shock) frames with a Pinion GB, during the build up process, that is to go out in a day or two:

I'm not a happy Bear - the paint job is horrendously crap, just flaking off / scratching off at the slightest touch. I can't get my regular painter (tried another, supposed 'artiste', due to my painter being down for the count after axing himself - it's the Only thing I don't do in my frame making - painting) to re-do until after the 10th of January, so it's being put out to ride with no branding stickers - Bear Bikes - until then.
thats sick!

Ive got a few frames I've designed but haven't had time to get any brought to life. Do you have a website or page where you have more pics of your frames?
Bearuno
12/13/2021 5:06am Edited Date/Time 12/13/2021 6:39am
Bearuno wrote:
Pinion? Here's one of my DH (226 to 236mm travel, dependent on rear drop out positioning /swingarm length ( with a 10.5 x 3.5" shock) frames...
Pinion?

burns wrote:
thats sick! Ive got a few frames I've designed but haven't had time to get any brought to life. Do you have a website or page...
thats sick!

Ive got a few frames I've designed but haven't had time to get any brought to life. Do you have a website or page where you have more pics of your frames?
No website or any real presence / interest in FB. F**k that for a joke.

That's the only picture I've got, so far, of that bike, as I just got a new phone, after my 'perfect for me' one just carked it. But I'm buggered if I can get it - the new phone - to 'talk' to my computer. It's asking for all sorts of 'permissions' and downloads that I'm not comfortable with. I'll wait on one of my test riders who's a 'computer monkey' to set it up for me...................

I've long not needed / wanted exposure for my bikes. My own bikes I keep simple, though, simple, that works well, can be complicated. That frame set has over 125 pieces to it, since I decided to go from an Aluminium Swingarm, to Steel, as an 'Up Yours' to many. My Aluminium Swingarms, had only 17 pieces for me to cut / machine / weld, this swingarm has 55, and about 9 times as much weld bead. Though, much of that is because that swingarm is to go on my own personal E Bike, eventually - hence you can see the RH drop out deep enough to have a derailleur mount, though I might put a Rohloff on the back. However, there's a Finnish (Revonte) EMotor / Gearbox design that interests me. I'll make a much lighter swingarm for this frame in the holiday break, if I can get some time away from my crazy family. Fat Bloody Chance of that happening..........Whistling

Here's a picture of a Pinion EMotor and Gearbox, shown years ago (2016?), that's not yet come to fruition. But, surely, they must be working (feverishly) on a production model, one would think :

I leave all of the linkage stuff for others / those that employ me. It's basically companies wanting a 'USP', that they can blather on about. Fair enough, as, you've got to have something 'different', when everything is on view with a bicycle frame, if you want to sell. Yes, I'm a Cynical Old Bastard.

I had a Team for many years, with riders winning various State and National Titles, and going to the World MTB Championships - me being one of them, though, when MTB / DH really came of age , I was a Vet / Masters rider from the get go. I'm now in my 7th decade, on a walking stick / crutches (but still ride DH and MCs), having made Motorcycle and Bicycle frames and Suspension, since the 70s. Nowadays I do about a frame a month, just for fun, while designing / consulting for a few different companies, all under NDAs, at My request.

Makes me money, gets me free travel - it's how I get to many GPs / World Cups.

PS - it's Not a High Pivot - it's a Long Swingarm, that has a forward pivot, and an idler for No pedal influence. And it Does Not go into falling rate, as so many companies let their rear ends go into. F*****g idiots, baffling people with BS, and making abominations.
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/15/2021 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/15/2021 5:26pm
Im pretty shocked its taken pinion so long to come out with a E Gearbox or a gearbox with electronic shifting. I had designed up a frame like the old Zerode DH bikes where it had a internal geared hub in the frame and then an e bike motor but I don't think the hub would hold up very well.

small update for the thread. I got my graphics in. Im not great at applying graphics but I am pretty sure they were also off a bit. A few spots I am going to trim. The side panel I did a horrible job with but I think Im gonna do new ones that are different anyways. Airbox plastics should be here tomorrow as well.

The Burns is also for my business which is Burns MFG. Right now I am only doing CAD/CAM consulting and contracting but I also design and machine my own parts/products too.

Right now Im doing a lot of stuff in the firearm industry. This is a pistol I have been working on for a good portion of this year

12/15/2021 5:47pm
burns wrote:
Im pretty shocked its taken pinion so long to come out with a E Gearbox or a gearbox with electronic shifting. I had designed up a...
Im pretty shocked its taken pinion so long to come out with a E Gearbox or a gearbox with electronic shifting. I had designed up a frame like the old Zerode DH bikes where it had a internal geared hub in the frame and then an e bike motor but I don't think the hub would hold up very well.

small update for the thread. I got my graphics in. Im not great at applying graphics but I am pretty sure they were also off a bit. A few spots I am going to trim. The side panel I did a horrible job with but I think Im gonna do new ones that are different anyways. Airbox plastics should be here tomorrow as well.

The Burns is also for my business which is Burns MFG. Right now I am only doing CAD/CAM consulting and contracting but I also design and machine my own parts/products too.

Right now Im doing a lot of stuff in the firearm industry. This is a pistol I have been working on for a good portion of this year

billet frame 19?
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/15/2021 5:50pm
burns wrote:
Im pretty shocked its taken pinion so long to come out with a E Gearbox or a gearbox with electronic shifting. I had designed up a...

billet frame 19?
yes sir. Few different options will be available, 19, 17, extended barrel 19, and an extended capacity 19. Also working on a sub compact too.

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
12/16/2021 6:21pm
burns wrote:
yes sir. Few different options will be available, 19, 17, extended barrel 19, and an extended capacity 19. Also working on a sub compact too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/15/523121/s1200_2.jpg[/img]
yes sir. Few different options will be available, 19, 17, extended barrel 19, and an extended capacity 19. Also working on a sub compact too.

Is that a Hurco?
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/17/2021 5:52am
burns wrote:
yes sir. Few different options will be available, 19, 17, extended barrel 19, and an extended capacity 19. Also working on a sub compact too. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/12/15/523121/s1200_2.jpg[/img]

Luxon MX wrote:
Is that a Hurco?
you got it.

We got 10 Hurco Mills and 2 lathes. Also have 5 Milltronic mills and 3 Mazak lathes. Have 5 more Hurcos mills coming and another lathe in a couple months
Bearuno
12/17/2021 7:26am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2021 7:29am
Hey Burns (and Luxon), I have to say, we are polar opposites when it comes to machinery.

I do every cut and mitre by hand, by choice - as in, Hacksaws, Files and a 1220x50mm linishing belt running off a grinder. I get by with a 50 year old mini mill / lathe when 'hi tech' is needed, a wonky drill press, and a 30+ year old Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG.

I'm a "not so little old man" that gets around the workshop on a wheeled stool (walking sticks and crutches are a bit ungainly / dangerous in both my small, and large work spaces), and I'm now dealing with 'the shakes' with what Doctors say is the onset of Parkinsons, so my welds are getting a bit 'wobbly'. And, my eyesight is going ever downhill, so on Steel and Ti ( = low amps), I have a hard time seeing the weld 'pool'.

But, there is Nothing better than making your own 'things'. As you would well know.

I've been able to get a full picture of that bike (from the same incomplete dummy build) from my new phone, onto my computer, somehow, if you want to see it.
Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
12/17/2021 7:33am
burns wrote:

Luxon MX wrote:
Is that a Hurco?
burns wrote:
you got it. We got 10 Hurco Mills and 2 lathes. Also have 5 Milltronic mills and 3 Mazak lathes. Have 5 more Hurcos mills coming...
you got it.

We got 10 Hurco Mills and 2 lathes. Also have 5 Milltronic mills and 3 Mazak lathes. Have 5 more Hurcos mills coming and another lathe in a couple months
Nice, we're running Hurco mills as well!
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/17/2021 12:37pm
Luxon MX wrote:
Is that a Hurco?
burns wrote:
you got it. We got 10 Hurco Mills and 2 lathes. Also have 5 Milltronic mills and 3 Mazak lathes. Have 5 more Hurcos mills coming...
you got it.

Luxon MX wrote:
Nice, we're running Hurco mills as well!
I am the one who asked you if you had Hurcos from your instagram story a few days ago haha. I hated the Hurcos when I first started using them but they have grown on me a lot more. My biggest grievance is that there is no MDI where I can just type in g code real quick for doing manual tool changes and stuff.
burns
Fantasy
968th
12/17/2021 12:38pm
Bearuno wrote:
Hey Burns (and Luxon), I have to say, we are polar opposites when it comes to machinery. I do every cut and mitre by hand, by...
Hey Burns (and Luxon), I have to say, we are polar opposites when it comes to machinery.

I do every cut and mitre by hand, by choice - as in, Hacksaws, Files and a 1220x50mm linishing belt running off a grinder. I get by with a 50 year old mini mill / lathe when 'hi tech' is needed, a wonky drill press, and a 30+ year old Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG.

I'm a "not so little old man" that gets around the workshop on a wheeled stool (walking sticks and crutches are a bit ungainly / dangerous in both my small, and large work spaces), and I'm now dealing with 'the shakes' with what Doctors say is the onset of Parkinsons, so my welds are getting a bit 'wobbly'. And, my eyesight is going ever downhill, so on Steel and Ti ( = low amps), I have a hard time seeing the weld 'pool'.

But, there is Nothing better than making your own 'things'. As you would well know.

I've been able to get a full picture of that bike (from the same incomplete dummy build) from my new phone, onto my computer, somehow, if you want to see it.
mad props to you! I can respect that.

Your definitely right that there isn't much better than making your parts.

Id love to see a full pic of that bike!
Bearuno
12/17/2021 11:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2021 11:48pm
The bloody system I've had to download into my computer stores my new phone pictures as "heic" files - and when I try to convert them into "jpg", for posting here on Vital, it does nothing. I Don't know how I got the first one as a jpg.

Ahh, the joys of being an analog man in a digital world........... I'll keep trying, but I think I'll have to wait for my Grand Nephew to sort it all out, but he and my 'clan' are not here until Christmas day.

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
12/18/2021 10:36am
Bearuno wrote:
The bloody system I've had to download into my computer stores my new phone pictures as "heic" files - and when I try to convert them...
The bloody system I've had to download into my computer stores my new phone pictures as "heic" files - and when I try to convert them into "jpg", for posting here on Vital, it does nothing. I Don't know how I got the first one as a jpg.

Ahh, the joys of being an analog man in a digital world........... I'll keep trying, but I think I'll have to wait for my Grand Nephew to sort it all out, but he and my 'clan' are not here until Christmas day.

burns
Fantasy
968th
12/18/2021 4:46pm
these bad boys showed up

air-box plastics cam in aswell

I also picked up a storage unit I can use as a little space to work on the bikes as the shed is a little cramped.

Bearuno
12/18/2021 10:47pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2021 10:55pm

Thanks Luxon.

I've tried various downloads, but they don't seem to work as the instructions 'instruct'.

That picture emblem, comes up with my having used the Vital Photo Upload, it comes out on the post as the [img - blah blah bla img], but does not show in the pre-view, at all. So, I took a punt, and just posted it, and it came out with just that photo emblem.

Ah, the joys of changing 'phones, and being a technological Doofus. I'll leave Mr Burns thread alone. Bear

burns
Fantasy
968th
1/12/2022 1:10pm
I couldn't actually bring myself to sell the 150 so there is a slightly change of plans. We are gonna continue building our own "works" 150sx.

Got some parts coming in to get it all back together and also some parts to start building up a new motor we can get spicy with.

First of parts to come in was some Ti bolts from race tech but more boxes should be here later this week.

burns
Fantasy
968th
1/14/2022 6:06am
picked up another Gas Gas fuel tank. This one for smokers so it will fit the 150.

I have also been planning on picking up a smartcarb 36. I was gonna order one next week but well I was on facebook last night I found one 10 min from my house for $550 so I met the guy this morning and got it!

burns
Fantasy
968th
1/23/2022 4:12pm
Here’s first peak of how it will look all together.

So got the seat in and also new front fender. It’s from an 85sx and saves little over a 1/4lb once you drill some holes in the back.
burns
Fantasy
968th
1/26/2022 2:36pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2022 2:36pm

decided to try a blue tc 85 fender. I really like it. Once the orange fork and hand guards are gon i think it will look better.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
979th
1/27/2022 1:08pm
This bike is both odd and familiar in a way that it looks like a Chinese knock-off but doesn't look like a knock-off at the same time. I hope you don't take that in a bad way because I think the bike is awesome.
burns
Fantasy
968th
1/27/2022 1:11pm
This bike is both odd and familiar in a way that it looks like a Chinese knock-off but doesn't look like a knock-off at the same...
This bike is both odd and familiar in a way that it looks like a Chinese knock-off but doesn't look like a knock-off at the same time. I hope you don't take that in a bad way because I think the bike is awesome.
hahaha you are so right!

Its not quite there for me yet. A few things I think make it feel a little off but I think once I have it all finished it will look good. Or mabye it will look more like a knock off Laughing
burns
Fantasy
968th
1/27/2022 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2022 2:57pm
White forks guards came in. Took off hand guards to see how no orange would look. Think i will go with white ones. Also got the carbon front disc cover on. The ti2 silencer was back ordered months so i got a scalvini all carbon one instead. Should be here tomorrow.

burns
Fantasy
968th
1/29/2022 3:36pm
This guy just showed up. Super trick. Dont have a weight on it yet but i think we might need to shop a couple inches off it.

Also grabbed a set of 2019+ mounts for cheap to see if they fit. Everywhere online says they are different but they bolted right up. So im gonna get a set of the CMT carbon mounts for 2019+ models

burns
Fantasy
968th
2/2/2022 6:02am
slight change of direction in the look of this build

Forks stripped down. Brought the uppers across the shop to cerakote to get done in burnt bronze. AER cartidges and lugs will be here tomorrow. That will drop a few lbs. Ill throw them back together and ship them off to Kreft to have them work their magic.

here are some weights. My old FMF silencer

and the Scalvini. Little bummed on this one because the Ti2 would have been half a pound lighter.

And here is the Keihin

vs the Smartcarb. Im just talking Ls now. Not doing so great at this weight game thing lol

Here is a pic of the 2019 mounts on my bike. They fit perfect.

throwing parts on the 250 frame. Keeping my eye out for a good deal on a motor for this thing

and my other 2 wheel project I need to get done asap before snow melts.

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/4/2022 4:09pm
Oh Baby

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/6/2022 4:13pm
Got almost all the body work on now. I am so stoked on how it looks. Still a short list of things to do to make it ready to rip.

Get new rear tire mounted
New chain and sprokets
order fatbar 36
get Luxon Clamps on
Swap fork lugs and AER cartridges
Either make custom bracket for scalvini silencer or buy a 2019+ pipe and sell current pipe
get smartcarb setup
new hand guards

that is what I need before spring is here but the want list is much much longer

Here is a few more pics of it slowly coming together

Post a reply to: No longer bastardized 150sx - Works Titanium Subframe

The Latest