No longer bastardized 150sx - Works Titanium Subframe

Rickyisms
9/11/2022 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2022 5:59pm
That cone pipe looks good! Really like the idea of the ‘15 shorty, I have two 2016s myself and was eyeing up a 00s KTM silencer with a stinger tip to retrofit, but it didn’t look feasible.
burns
Fantasy
968th
9/12/2022 3:20am
Rickyisms wrote:
That cone pipe looks good! Really like the idea of the ‘15 shorty, I have two 2016s myself and was eyeing up a 00s KTM silencer...
That cone pipe looks good! Really like the idea of the ‘15 shorty, I have two 2016s myself and was eyeing up a 00s KTM silencer with a stinger tip to retrofit, but it didn’t look feasible.
The shorty is def gonna be awesome just a little work to make it fit right. Eventually Id like to machine a whole new bracket for the can and rivet it on but that is a ways down the road. I tried to make the silencer fit with my old pipe and it did not come close to fitting, couldn't even get it on. Pretty happy that it fits now with the 18+ pipe.

Hard Enduro on instagram made his own shorty on his. He took the longer 16+ ti2 and cut like 3 inches off it. That was my plan if I didn't get this one of ebay.
burns
Fantasy
968th
10/3/2022 3:55pm
This build is taking a slight change of direction. Going to be less bastardized but even more trick

Picked up this CRM carbon tank from a member on here. You may notice it is not for Gas Gas plastics but for KTM. It is also for fuel injected bikes. Now the idea to convert this bike to TBI has crossed my mind many times and I have come close to buying parts I love the simplicity of almost 0 electronics. So the bike will stay that way.... Atleast for now, if you haven't noticed I do change my mind quite often.

To make this tank work for me I machined this little adapter. I am waiting for barb fitting to arrive tomorrow but the open hole will be tapped for a pipe tap and a barb fitting will go there so I can run a hose to the carb.

Here is how it will sit in the tank. Ignore the bolt and washers, those will be replaced with a flanged titanium bolt.

I need to make a plate to cover the back hole for the fuel pump. I will make that tomorrow then get the tank all buttoned up.

Al259
10/4/2022 2:34pm
Nice to see that the tank made to the US fine! The build is sick man. You have to post the weight of the bike once its done.

The Shop

burns
Fantasy
968th
10/4/2022 4:43pm
Al259 wrote:
Nice to see that the tank made to the US fine! The build is sick man. You have to post the weight of the bike once...
Nice to see that the tank made to the US fine! The build is sick man. You have to post the weight of the bike once its done.
thanks man! I am super stoked on the tank!!

Here is tank mounted up with some new plastics....

next on the list is black seat and new hand guards. This winter frame will get done in silver and forks will get redone so that they arent brown
burns
Fantasy
968th
10/26/2022 3:50am
Forks back to silver. Looks much better now with the orange in my oppinion

burns
Fantasy
968th
11/19/2022 5:30pm
picked up a black seat

snow is here so this bike is gonna get torn down completely again for winter. nothing crazy getting done this winter. pretty happy with where its at and been working on mtb stuff instead at the moment.

Do have these super trick levers coming though. Ive got a ton of Hope mtb stuff so crazy stoked on this bois

Bearuno
11/20/2022 1:00am Edited Date/Time 11/20/2022 9:25pm
I don't know Burns , using MTB MCylinders on your KTM.....

Look, when I first put a Rekluse on my 500, way back mid 2000s, I used a Hayes Mag Master Cylinder for my LHR brake. I worked with the Hayes importers, and, the Mag had a bit more fluid capacity with the bladder than most MTB MCs. Keep that in mind - MTB MCs have less fluid capacity than Motorcycle MCs, so it's easy to 'run out of fluid', as say, brake pads wear - also, less room for expansion of fluid through heat - both Important for either Brake or Clutch usage.

The Rekluse was all about getting rid of the foot brake (legs are f**ked), and getting the brake up on the bars. I rode without a clutch for a while Woohoo , until I put a succession of mini clutch levers on the CRE.

Here's a picture of that set up ( with the final long lever I machined up - it being needed for power) :

And, a picture of the various levers tried - 1 Std, 1 extended Hayes Lever, and top, the machined up one - longer and with a subtly different pivot and 'push' point ratio :

This is to say that It may not deliver decent brake and clutch performance, be it through MC size, and leverage ratios through pivot and 'press' positions, or Lever length.

I eventually fitted a Brembo MC, with 2 very 'Bear'd' levers I made so I can use Both Brake and Clutch levers at the same time, with no idiotic / hampering contortions - how people use many of the double lever sets ups they fit, I do not know :

Don't get me wrong - Hope Products are Superb! . I now use them on my Bicycles - and just got a set of the latest DH brakes. But bloody hell, if they did work OK on your KTM, you'd bloody well want to be running full wrap around Hand Guards, as, as well made as they are, I doubt they'd take much of an impact to be damaged. I've broken them on my DH bike, and that's with teflon tape under the clamps, with the clamp bolts held with 222 Loctite, to allow movement, without the bolts coming loose.
burns
Fantasy
968th
3/19/2023 2:37pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2023 2:38pm

Well been collecting some parts all winter. Sun is finally starting to show once again and the temps look like they might be warming up finally. Started getting some parts put on. Might pull engine out and have some work done before spring really comes but we will see.

Got this billet clutch cover and the modified brake lever on

IMG 1832 0.jpg?VersionId=JswAmAzxtmlq

Also picked up a used GET ecu for a good price. Excited to see if it makes any difference lol

IMG 1833 1.jpg?VersionId=5TPlCWJUie6noZcLidWrFOZdv

Have more stuff to put on. Or possibly tear bike down. Should have some more updates soon!

IMG 1835

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/29/2023 4:10am

I had seen these carbon ignition covers on the Bud Racing EMX team so I sent Bud an email and was able to pick one up.

IMG 1867

The TI-2 Silencer I had did not fit right since it was for a 2011-2015 so I just picked up this set off a member on here. Going to sell the pipe if anyone wants it. Has some small dents $110

IMG 1868

This pipe definitely drops a lot of weight off over the Scalvini one. I will get them both on the scale later.

I think I have maybe the trickest part of my whole build arriving today. Its really not that special and you can't even see it but I am extremely stoked. So another update coming soon....

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/30/2023 3:00am

This may be the most anticlimatic part but I am still stoked.

Titanium subframe from the factory team! Its a half pound lighter then stock. I know it really won't do anything and doesn't look any different but this part is still so trick. I've never seen another one for sale so I am really really stoked for this.

IMG 1874.jpg?VersionId=lEwIA5nOY9sCF0WO1.2wMkLmdc9tdz

I have a few more parts coming to wrap up this round of mods. Should be able to get everything on this weekend and can get the bike ready to start riding with this warmer weather. 

3/30/2023 4:28am

What kind of radiator hoses are you running? Lots of good work here, looks awesome!

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/30/2023 5:48am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2023 5:48am

What kind of radiator hoses are you running? Lots of good work here, looks awesome!

Thanks man!

They are from Clear Rad Products in california. I bought them second hand though from a guy who had them make him 2 sets. I had tried to contact them before and I think they might be out of business now.

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1228th
3/30/2023 9:48am
burns wrote:
This may be the most anticlimatic part but I am still stoked. Titanium subframe from the factory team! Its a half pound lighter then stock. I...

Titanium subframe from the factory team! Its a half pound lighter then stock. I know it really won't do anything and doesn't look any different but this part is still so trick. I've never seen another one for sale so I am really really stoked for this.

I have a few more parts coming to wrap up this round of mods. Should be able to get everything on this weekend and can get the bike ready to start riding with this warmer weather. 

Looks like it has a crack on the inside of the far tube (next to the bolt hole)? If so, get someone who knows ti and have them weld it up!

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/30/2023 10:26am
burns wrote:
This may be the most anticlimatic part but I am still stoked. Titanium subframe from the factory team! Its a half pound lighter then stock. I...

Luxon MX wrote:
Looks like it has a crack on the inside of the far tube (next to the bolt hole)? If so, get someone who knows ti and...

Looks like it has a crack on the inside of the far tube (next to the bolt hole)? If so, get someone who knows ti and have them weld it up!

yea has a crack there. Dropping it off at a buddys shop to weld it up for me. It has already has had a crack fixed in another spot too.  I won't be riding it as hard as the factory team so hoping no more cracking lol but I will have to keep an eye on it and see.

burns
Fantasy
968th
3/30/2023 2:10pm

Some P3 carbon frame guards with clear grip tape 

B77661E2-AB9F-4DD8-8DD6-FBA9B2D5EB1D

3/30/2023 2:46pm
burns wrote:

Luxon MX wrote:
Looks like it has a crack on the inside of the far tube (next to the bolt hole)? If so, get someone who knows ti and...

I have a titanium subframe from the old factory husky team and same place it has a crack . The titanium really seems to get brittle with age I have been worn 

Rickyisms
4/2/2023 3:51pm

Is the 19+ pipe an exact bolt up other than needing the 19+ engine mounts? Build is really cool and unique, that subframe is really cool. 

burns
Fantasy
968th
4/3/2023 3:07am
Rickyisms wrote:

Is the 19+ pipe an exact bolt up other than needing the 19+ engine mounts? Build is really cool and unique, that subframe is really cool. 

I beleive so. with the 19+ subframe and 19+ silencer it all bolts together. I have not tested to see if I could swap a 19+ subframe if everything else was still stock but I am fairly confident it would fit. I do have a scalvini pipe for a 16-18 I need to put up for sale as well.

Rickyisms
4/3/2023 6:04pm
burns wrote:
I beleive so. with the 19+ subframe and 19+ silencer it all bolts together. I have not tested to see if I could swap a 19+...

I beleive so. with the 19+ subframe and 19+ silencer it all bolts together. I have not tested to see if I could swap a 19+ subframe if everything else was still stock but I am fairly confident it would fit. I do have a scalvini pipe for a 16-18 I need to put up for sale as well.

Sounds good, I got a deal on a pipe from a 19, so I’m gonna pick up some 19 engine mounts and see how it’ll work on my 2016. I don’t think the bends are very different at all. 

burns
Fantasy
968th
7/5/2023 4:46am

been so busy havent gotten to touch this bike yet this year. Broke it out this weekend to get it going finally.

Good news is the Hope levers are on and feel awesome. Will see how they are once I get some time on them

IMG 2439 1.jpg?VersionId=g6SbAgOI3VURyc

The bad new is something is up with the smart carb. Its just dumping fuel and flooding the engine. So its pulled and will get that fixed now.

IMG 2441  

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 7.44.30 AM

Well its semi torn down I am getting the plastic battery tray cut up finally. Also getting the lightweight foam swapped over to the seat and cutting out some material in the seat pan to lighten it up a bit. Hopefully can get it all sorted out and back together to rip a bit this weekend.

Post a reply to: No longer bastardized 150sx - Works Titanium Subframe

The Latest