Another yz125 build (2006)

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2018 9:45 AM

Wasn’t going to do this because I already have another YZ250 build thread but that bike is on hold until the mechanic gets back to me on the verdict of the engine.

So this bike...the prior owner couldn’t get it running and he believed it has a carb issue. He bought without a top end and added I believe a new works pipe (he left it it outside silly ), used cylinder and a new top end kit. There’s more than that whistling but couldn’t pass on the price. Missing power valve seals, missing and miss matched bolts, dirty air filter, no coolant or transmission fluid, power valve is covered in carbon, and more but it’s much cleaner than my old bike and it has good compression. Crank seems to be good as well. It also included a bag which had a new chain, sprocket and Barnett clutch basket!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

2/13/2018 1:57 PM

Dude, you are on a tear! I feel like a total slacker!!!

|

2/13/2018 2:04 PM

FWYT wrote:

Dude, you are on a tear! I feel like a total slacker!!!

My wife is in grad school so I have a lot of free time to work on the bike and the weather has been shit here. I plan to keep this for her. I have been running into a lot of face palm instances besides missing seals loose clutch case bolts, missing sprocket collar, etc. lucky i only have 1 stuck axle (rear) on this one.

|

2/13/2018 5:26 PM

Looking forward to seeing this come together!

|

2/13/2018 8:11 PM

Her current state... still can’t get the axle out it. It’s close though

Photo

|

2/14/2018 5:30 AM

With those forks and the integrated bar mounts, this is actually an 05.

Excited to see what you do to her though..

|

2/14/2018 5:41 AM

bestmx wrote:

With those forks and the integrated bar mounts, this is actually an 05.

Excited to see what you do to her though..

Not true. Those are SSS forks that came on the 06 model and it has the removable bar mounts? Definitely a 2006.

|

2/14/2018 7:08 AM

bestmx wrote:

With those forks and the integrated bar mounts, this is actually an 05.

Excited to see what you do to her though..

They are removable bar mounts...VIN is also telling me it’s an 06

|

2/14/2018 7:23 AM

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

2/16/2018 6:24 AM

Got some goodies from my better half for vday! Gold chain, filters for both yzs, New bar clamps for the ktm, wheel bearing, carb kit
Photo

this linkage though
Photo

and after opening the clutch cover side I found sand like stuff all over in the case? I’m probably going to split the cases to clean it. I also see why I got a clutch basket. The old one is notched pretty bad but it looks like it has a fresh clutch.

|

2/18/2018 7:51 PM

Got to work some elbow grease and power washer today
Photo

Photo

|

2/18/2018 8:31 PM

Love the MX Bonz clamps, a bit heavy but extreme high quality. Great bike.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/19/2018 12:18 AM

Another missing seal...
Photo

just from pulling off the clutch side case I knew I was going to have to split the case. There was so much dirt in gunk in the case. I will snap a photo tomorrow of the inside of the case where the crank has rub on the case at some point and left a groove. I’m not sure what the correct way to go about fixing it. Or if it is fine as is

|

2/19/2018 9:27 AM

Zach_K wrote:

Another missing seal...
Photo

just from pulling off the clutch side case I knew I was going to have to split the case. There was so much dirt in gunk in the case. I will snap a photo tomorrow of the inside of the case where the crank has rub on the case at some point and left a groove. I’m not sure what the correct way to go about fixing it. Or if it is fine as is

Depends how deep it is. If it isn’t more than a mm or two depending on the area, I would leave it. Don’t bother with JB Weld unless you are certain it won’t crack or come out. The proper way would be to weld and grind it back down, but that’s not necessary unless it may break through.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

2/19/2018 1:21 PM

Photo

Photo

|

2/20/2018 1:57 PM

TrailDigger wrote:

Depends how deep it is. If it isn’t more than a mm or two depending on the area, I would leave it. Don’t bother with JB Weld unless you are certain it won’t crack or come out. The proper way would be to weld and grind it back down, but that’s not necessary unless it may break through.

Thanks! Looks to be no more than mm. The inside of this engine is crazy dirty.

|

2/20/2018 3:39 PM

Zach_K wrote:

Another missing seal...
Photo

just from pulling off the clutch side case I knew I was going to have to split the case. There was so much dirt in gunk in the case. I will snap a photo tomorrow of the inside of the case where the crank has rub on the case at some point and left a groove. I’m not sure what the correct way to go about fixing it. Or if it is fine as is

TrailDigger wrote:

Depends how deep it is. If it isn’t more than a mm or two depending on the area, I would leave it. Don’t bother with JB Weld unless you are certain it won’t crack or come out. The proper way would be to weld and grind it back down, but that’s not necessary unless it may break through.

Zach_K wrote:

Thanks! Looks to be no more than mm. The inside of this engine is crazy dirty.

It looks like it’s sucked more air through the missing seals than the actual airbox.

|

If you're not mixing gas, you're not haulin ass.

2/21/2018 12:37 PM

I will be ordering all case bolts as they were mismatched and some of the case bolts stripped do to being over torqued...should I go with zinc plated, stainless or black oxide finish for the main bolts (Allen Head)

|

3/12/2018 3:46 PM

A little sneak preview of what’s to come. Thanks to DTR380 it’s going to be like Christmas real soon!

Photo

Photo

|

3/12/2018 10:58 PM

Zach_K wrote:

I will be ordering all case bolts as they were mismatched and some of the case bolts stripped do to being over torqued...should I go with zinc plated, stainless or black oxide finish for the main bolts (Allen Head)

Hey Zach, I personally am going to go with these nickel plated, dished and flanged bolts from Spec Bolt for my whole bike. http://store.specbolt.com/index.php/cPath/99/osCsid/ns6l98h478re8q24nkj46qlnr3

|

3/15/2018 6:10 PM

The goods showed up! Thanks DTR380.

Got a few bolts and misc parts to order. Oh and rads. The stocks are bent and leaking. Probably pick up some GPI rads.

The pictures above are fitment tests of a brand new 2015 crf250r front brand setup that I picked up for $90 shipped.

Photo


I need to clean up!
Photo

Photo

|

7/20/2018 8:13 AM

So summer hit in Louisiana and race season started so I haven’t had to to mess with the yz much. I finally got it to a roller state, cyclinder sent to get replated and currently am working on rebuilding the forks. I think ive spent close to the same amount on tools as I have parts in this bike. My Chinese 4” vise broke while popping out bearings so I bought an 8” Tekton 60,000 as well as engine building tools and suspension tools.

As it sat before I pulled off the forks. My 190 lbs couldn’t compress them more than an inch or 2..something’s wrong. Stock plastics I’ll stay for a little until I get a kit made for the restyle and because my wife will be riding it. It’ll be in he ground quite a bit lol. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

7/20/2018 1:24 PM

How's the YZ250 coming along? smile

|

7/21/2018 8:27 AM

FWYT wrote:

How's the YZ250 coming along? smile

Long gone. Mechanic opened then engine and said it would be an easy $900 just in parts not including labor. I looked and looked and never came across go prices parts

|

7/21/2018 3:46 PM

Zach_K wrote:

Got some goodies from my better half for vday! Gold chain, filters for both yzs, New bar clamps for the ktm, wheel bearing, carb kit
Photo

this linkage though
Photo

and after opening the clutch cover side I found sand like stuff all over in the case? I’m probably going to split the cases to clean it. I also see why I got a clutch basket. The old one is notched pretty bad but it looks like it has a fresh clutch.

Good choice on the MXBonz bar clamps. NO ONE makes a better bar clamp!

|

7/28/2018 2:40 PM

Forks are done! Just need to get some kyb decals. Oven is on and engine bearings are prepped!
Photo

|

11/29/2018 7:38 AM

Zach_K wrote:

Got some goodies from my better half for vday! Gold chain, filters for both yzs, New bar clamps for the ktm, wheel bearing, carb kit
Photo

this linkage though
Photo

and after opening the clutch cover side I found sand like stuff all over in the case? I’m probably going to split the cases to clean it. I also see why I got a clutch basket. The old one is notched pretty bad but it looks like it has a fresh clutch.

lumpy790 wrote:

Good choice on the MXBonz bar clamps. NO ONE makes a better bar clamp!

I bent it blink

|

11/29/2018 7:46 AM

Getting there! Been a long time coming. Engine has been rebuilt from the bottom up. Fresh plated cylinder, fresh piston, fresh bearings throughout, carb cleaned and rebuilt. I have constantly been running into missing small parts in the engine. While putting the stator side together I noticed the small key that goes on the end of the crank was never put on the old crank silly

Have a tech question. I noticed a decent bit of side to side play in the shift shaft. Is this common or correct?
Photo
Photo

|

11/29/2018 9:32 AM

Zach_K wrote:

I bent it blink

Not surprising. Go with something that has a beefy one-piece lower clamp, not upper. BRP, Fastway, Fly, and ours are all one-piece bottom mounts. They'll hold up a lot better than one-piece top mounts and won't twist nearly as easily.

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Precision Engineered Motocross Components

12/11/2018 9:07 AM

Found another piece missing...little key that sits on the crank that slots onto the stator rotor...

|