Another ...YZ250

Related:
Create New Tag

1/23/2019 6:56 PM

Collected a roached 2016 YZ250 to help replace my soon parting with my first new bike (2017 kx250f) it’s got a decent amount of hours on it and want to get good value out of it with out having to open up the motor. The YZ has 170 hours on it, 1 full rebuild at 75ish hours. One top end within that time and so it’s due for another full rebuild. At one point the air filter was put on inccorectly and sucked in sand. This worried me but this 2016 was going for $3000 with WC adiator braces, WC holeshot device, WC skid plate, WC clutch perch, vfrorce reeds, full stock exhaust (no time on it), full fmf (fatty), bills pipe, oem crank bearing, a new oem cylinder still in the box and most parts needed to do a top end (all oem). While I was looking at older models as old as 2005 still asking $2500. I figured it was worth the investment of a newer bike when it comes around to resell. Along with the motor, the airbox is cracked, the aftermarket pipes need some serious deep cleaning and show wear. The suspension is super stiff and the rear feels blown out. The current handlebars don’t seem to help any when it come to dampening vibration. Front tube goes flat and tire is weather cracked.

|

1/23/2019 7:02 PM

I test rode it, and rode it once after I bought. Tore into it a sent suspension to get worked on. The fork guards had loc-tite on them and were very difficult to get out and so I ordered the hardware to replace these. Along with that I couldn’t get all the linkage bolts out. I had to send the linkage with my brother so he could air hammer the last bold out. The pivot bolt that connects the swingarm, frame, and motor also took some serious pounding to get out. Most of these pivot bolts will be replaced. The ones I thought were worth keeping I cleaned up and lightly wet sanded to get rid of ridges.

|

1/23/2019 7:05 PM

Photo
|

1/23/2019 8:05 PM

Rebuild with Eddie Sanders Racing ESR YZ 325! It's awesome as an MX/Off-Road bike!

Photo

|

SDT-YZ ESR 325

Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)

1/23/2019 8:07 PM

Photo
|

SDT-YZ ESR 325

1/23/2019 8:08 PM

|

SDT-YZ ESR 325

1/23/2019 8:10 PM

Photo
|

SDT-YZ ESR 325

1/24/2019 7:05 AM

Shame when such a new bike was neglected so badly. Can't wait to see what you do with it though! Keep the pics coming man

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

1/24/2019 10:30 AM

SDTony YZ ESR 325 wrote:

Rebuild with Eddie Sanders Racing ESR YZ 325! It's awesome as an MX/Off-Road bike!

Photo

That would be way to much bike for me. I weigh 150lbs during race season, I can’t even imagine trying to ride that in a track/trail.

|

1/24/2019 10:31 AM

Photo
|

1/28/2019 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2019 3:23 PM

(So most of this project is in retrospect as I’m almost finished, might post a bunch at once). A few days after I dropped off my suspension, I got a call that I’d need a new shock body. The shock was ran dry, the bladder got morphed and the body had wear due to it being put together wrong. Pretty bummed to hear, because I thought it was going to be pretty expensive, but my suspension guy found a used parts under $200 so I can’t complain too much. Suspension is done now and can’t wait to see how it performs.

|

1/28/2019 3:17 PM

Photo
|

1/28/2019 3:19 PM

Photo
Photo
|

1/28/2019 3:21 PM

Footpegs were very dull, decided to order new oem pegs, pins, and springs. Wish I would have taken the time to see if the titanium ones they used for a few years fit these brackets, but oh well. Scrubbing the frame and tearing into the motor next.

|

1/29/2019 7:46 PM

Photo
Photo
|

1/29/2019 7:54 PM

Wet scotch Brite everything. Super fine wet sand paper on any deep scrapes. Also used a wire brush and steel wool and tried to get all the nooks and crannys. Put a lot of time into it while I waited to get everything for the motor. Filed the bottom of the subframe to take a couple mil off rear seat height, and cleaned everything thoroughly.

|

1/29/2019 8:00 PM

On the motor side of things.. one of the allens in the powervalve was loose and caused wear to other valve parts and the cylinder itself. Piston looked alright, the exhaust side of the cylinder was pretty rough. Some of the casing around the clutch was a little chowder. I know the guy had a recluse in it at one point, guessing he put something together wrong at one point. Stuck clutch didn’t look too bad but still showed some wear. I ordered all gytr basket, hun, pressure plate and aluminum magnetic drain plug, spent a lot but excited to put it together with higher quality parts. Sent crank off to get balanced too.

|

1/29/2019 8:02 PM

Photo
|

1/31/2019 8:52 PM

New brake pads, new bars, new throttle tube, new throttle cable, new clutch cable, all oem parts, pro taper reed bend bars.

|

1/31/2019 8:57 PM

Clutch didn’t look to bad, just not fresh. He had a rekluse in it so I don’t think the stock parts have much time. It looks like something was loose in there at one point and there’s some marks on the inner cases of the clutch. I went ahead and ordered all the gytr clutch components and a aluminum magnetic drain plug.

Photo

|