98 team Pro Circuit MXDN replica DONE...ish

Edited Date/Time 11/28/2020 1:44pm

I'm still tearing it down, but I figured I would share my progress.

I picked it up for $800, I couldn't get it to start and made sure I had fresh gas and a new plug. Still didn't have any luck. So I checked thr compression and I think that might be the problem. Off the top of my head I think it's supposed to be around 120.

I don't have the tool to check the ring gap, but I will be picking that up soon. I'm tempted to try a Pro x piston and ring, because the cylinder looks good but the ring and piston look rough and it has a standard 53.97 bore currently. There was sand in the carburetor and air boot, the air filter was dry.

I did a bit of a mock up with the shrouds and graphics, I'm still waiting for side panels and a rear fender before I put those graphics on.

SSS forks are almost on their way. I'll have to swap out the steering stem to make it work just right. I'll keep the shock the same and will probably rebuild with a spring for my weight (sort of too chubby for a 125)

I will have more updates on my Instagram @vanillaice782

|
7/14/2019 11:41pm

There is metal flake in the graphics, but it isn't nearly as large as the original metal flake, and I have a spray gun, so I'm going to make it pop better. My pipe dream would be to get somebody fast to race this at red bull straight rhythm, but I don't know if anybody will be interested in racing a bike that is 20 years old.

chuckdavies
7/15/2019 1:34am
I'm also doing a replica of his 98 outdoor/mxdn bike, but i'm already 4 years into collecting parts and maybe another 4 years from it being finished! Hoping for an exact full factory build though when it's done!

Cool start, keep us posted
7/15/2019 5:58am
I'm also doing a replica of his 98 outdoor/mxdn bike, but i'm already 4 years into collecting parts and maybe another 4 years from it being...
I'm also doing a replica of his 98 outdoor/mxdn bike, but i'm already 4 years into collecting parts and maybe another 4 years from it being finished! Hoping for an exact full factory build though when it's done!

Cool start, keep us posted
Very cool. I have just a few pieces, like a PC clutch perch and lever, I still dont know where I can get a works finish exhaust.
Moto Mofo
7/15/2019 8:02am Edited Date/Time 7/15/2019 12:34pm
Very cool! I’ve got a ‘98 in pieces that I plan on building someday. The pipe for these bikes is specific to this year model only, for some reason (I think the cylinder changed in ‘98, might have something to do with that). Anyway, the pipe is hard to find.

Who did your graphics? Looks great. Keep the updates coming.

The Shop

Hondas4Life3
7/15/2019 3:00pm
If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the cases and clean everything out. You could also flush the crankcase with diesel or two stroke fuel if you do not want to take it apart.
7/15/2019 5:06pm
If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the...
If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the cases and clean everything out. You could also flush the crankcase with diesel or two stroke fuel if you do not want to take it apart.
Thats what I was afraid of. I will flush it for now. Then when I do a 144 kit I'll split the cases. There is no free play in the crank, so I figure I should be alright for now.
7/15/2019 5:11pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
Very cool! I’ve got a ‘98 in pieces that I plan on building someday. The pipe for these bikes is specific to this year model only...
Very cool! I’ve got a ‘98 in pieces that I plan on building someday. The pipe for these bikes is specific to this year model only, for some reason (I think the cylinder changed in ‘98, might have something to do with that). Anyway, the pipe is hard to find.

Who did your graphics? Looks great. Keep the updates coming.
Thanks. I have been able to find the Platinum pipes, and I swear I saw something somewhere about somebody being able to strip the platinum finish off of it to give it a works finish. Dare decals did my graphics. The metal flake is not very bright, but he can do fluorescent green.
7/18/2019 2:30pm
If it has sand in the air boot and carb, there is going to be sand in the crank area. I would advise to split the...
I feel like the crank is actually harder to budge than it should be. What could be causing this? Could the bearings just be totally shot? I don't have any up and down play, but I can't even get it to move by hand.
7/24/2019 5:29pm
I finally got the cases split. The rod just really does not want to budge. The crank bearings were good, so the rod bearing is the culprit. I was either going to send it off for a rebuild, or try it myself, so then I can say I did the whole thing myself.

I put primer on the frame and a lot of parts are coming in. My SSS forks are here too. I might lay low for the next week. I need to make some money to fund this thing.

So many nut and bolt baggies

8/16/2019 6:14am
I got my crank back from Tom Morgan Racing. It glides like a hot knife through butter. I could barely get the thing to move when I first bought it. This thing is putting me in the poorhouse, but I'm slowly making progress. I hope I can have the bottom end together over the next couple days. I'm going to have to send the cylinder off to Tom Morgan too, to replate it since I was already on a C piston. After a while I will do the 144 though.

8/16/2019 12:55pm
I got my crank back from Tom Morgan Racing. It glides like a hot knife through butter. I could barely get the thing to move when...
I got my crank back from Tom Morgan Racing. It glides like a hot knife through butter. I could barely get the thing to move when I first bought it. This thing is putting me in the poorhouse, but I'm slowly making progress. I hope I can have the bottom end together over the next couple days. I'm going to have to send the cylinder off to Tom Morgan too, to replate it since I was already on a C piston. After a while I will do the 144 though.

Why hold off on the 144? I mean you have to plate it anyway..
8/16/2019 5:17pm
toold&slow wrote:
Why hold off on the 144? I mean you have to plate it anyway..
I wanted to do just 125 for now because I was hoping to try to get somebody to race it for red bull straight rhythm. I'm not sure how strict they are about displacement though.
2/8/2020 5:14am
And the award for slowest bulkd ever goes to....me.

I had the frame powder coated and then it has been sitting for months, but I have new motivation now that I have this new lift stand so I don't break my back.

chuckdavies
2/10/2020 1:49am
Most definitely not slowest build award! 2020 marks the 5th year of progression of my 98 Carmichael KX125 build Smile I think i'm gonna try get it done for it's 25th year anniversary in 2023.
2/22/2020 9:54pm
I made a little bit more progress. I swear I test fit the triple clamps, and they worked with the SSS forks. But as it turns out, the top clamps need to be bored a little bit. So I dropped them off with a guy who can get me two more millimeters on the inner diameter. I had some keracoting done for the clutch cover, inner case, head and water pump, to make it look a little more factory. I need to add on to the steering stop too.

4/3/2020 8:38am
I had the top triple clamps bored out 1 mm to make them fit the forks so we are all good there. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to just put a yz450 front wheel and axle. I ordered a kx450f one too just in case, it was $10 on eBay.

I couldn't figure out why the tranny wouldn't go down into first but now after moving the motor around a little bit it works. I'm just waiting on an inner clutch cover gasket and I should be ready for final assembly. I need to weld some steering stops on the frame too. The stops on the kx450f definitely don't line up with the kx125.

mwmx54
4/5/2020 10:58pm
Do you know what color cerakote those parts are? Looks great!
chuckdavies
4/6/2020 1:47am
Shame to damage your flo green frame now, just get the Steering Stop adapter made by Trick Engineering.
4/6/2020 12:49pm
Shame to damage your flo green frame now, just get the Steering Stop adapter made by Trick Engineering.
Thanks for the idea. I just found it online. I'll order it right away. That looks super quick and easy.

4/6/2020 12:54pm

I got a ton of work done the other day, I had fun learning about how the power valve works. But then I busted a head stud. Damn it! I'll probably send it to my guy to fix because I don't really have a way to ensure that the hole and threads will be perfectly straight and I don't want to mess that up.

I started polishing my swing arm too. The original one was super trashed. I'll just be using green scotch bright pads and leave it at that. I don't want it to have a chrome finish, just a brighter one. It is tough work.

Bman_145
4/6/2020 6:48pm
Did you look into scotch brite wheels? It will get you close on bigger projects like this and save a ton of time. Then you can finish it off with the pads by hand.
ledger
4/6/2020 7:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2020 8:37pm
Bman_145 wrote:
Did you look into scotch brite wheels? It will get you close on bigger projects like this and save a ton of time. Then you can...
Did you look into scotch brite wheels? It will get you close on bigger projects like this and save a ton of time. Then you can finish it off with the pads by hand.
100% agree...let the wheel and drill do the work. Most auto stores have them in the paint section. Look'n good on the build.
4/6/2020 9:11pm
Bman_145 wrote:
Did you look into scotch brite wheels? It will get you close on bigger projects like this and save a ton of time. Then you can...
I should. I was scared that it would end up with circle swirls, and I would want then to be straight. I just don't really want to have to go anywhere with the covid going on. Plus I have time to work on this.
Bman_145
4/6/2020 9:14pm
There are some that make it nearly flawless, just like brushed stainless, if you run the wheel right. But I hear you, its not worth getting sick over a swingarm.
4/12/2020 11:50am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2020 11:51am
Sanding it by hand juts got to be too much, so I used my orbital sander to finish it off. I used that to get through the clear coat and then the scotch bright for the finish. I was able to completely finish one side...

It looks so much shinier in the real image.

My stickers were wrong though because they forgot to mirror the image for the other side. So I'm trying to get my buddy to print stickers for the other side.

Everything was kind of a disaster this week, I was sent the wrong clutch side gasket, I need a new radiator because the old one is bent, and I need a better stapler for the seat. The foam and styrofoam need to be glued to the base too. Woof. Better luck next week.

chuckdavies
4/14/2020 1:12am
FYI i've never glued the foam to the base - and never had any issues. That should save you a job and some cash
4/15/2020 7:07pm
FYI i've never glued the foam to the base - and never had any issues. That should save you a job and some cash
Haha oops, too late. I already bought glue. If anything it will just help when I'm stretching the seat cover over to help the foam stay straight. The trick engineering steering stop was pretty awesome. That saved a lot of work.

The end of my front axle sticks out a little bit worse than this picture. I figure it's fine though as long as the wheel and spacers line up. My top clamps seems to be putting some pressure on the forks that is angling them a little bit in. Not sure if that is a huge deal.

The Moto Log
4/26/2020 5:22pm
Sweet build man!!!! May I ask where you sourced your graphics? Im having a hell of a time finding them with the flake and in Flo green

Post a reply to: 98 team Pro Circuit MXDN replica DONE...ish

The Latest