96 YZ250 low budget build

mxer613
Edited Date/Time 5/3/2019 9:22pm
Picked this one owner bike up from my boss for $1000. He bought it brand new and said it has less than 20 hours total on it. It has never been off a jump, trails only. I tore it down to the frame and replaced all the wear parts, some bearings, brakes, cables, plastic, complete seat, chain, sprockets, levers , bars, grips and tires. JMR refreshed the suspension. I’m waiting for the replica oem graphics to show up. I took it too the track last weekend and rode it out of gas, I never even unloaded my 19 yz450f ?

|
JWACK
10/20/2018 3:44pm
Sweet find! Very clean. My buddy had a 96 back around 2000. I really enjoyed riding that scoot.
Premix
10/21/2018 5:35am
Nice find! I have a 96 125 just like it. Great bikes!

dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
10/24/2018 7:09pm
mxer613 wrote:
Picked this one owner bike up from my boss for $1000. He bought it brand new and said it has less than 20 hours total on...
Picked this one owner bike up from my boss for $1000. He bought it brand new and said it has less than 20 hours total on it. It has never been off a jump, trails only. I tore it down to the frame and replaced all the wear parts, some bearings, brakes, cables, plastic, complete seat, chain, sprockets, levers , bars, grips and tires. JMR refreshed the suspension. I’m waiting for the replica oem graphics to show up. I took it too the track last weekend and rode it out of gas, I never even unloaded my 19 yz450f ?

Isn’t it funny that you can have more fun on older stuff, just going back to the basics. Didn’t need your smartphone to adjust anything on it either.... Just some mixed gas, and a day of fun.
My, how we’ve come a long way........

The Shop

netway20
10/24/2018 11:30pm
Looking good. Nice work though.
Premix
10/25/2018 6:41pm
mxer613 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/25/298394/s1200_5C754828_16C1_4185_9D0C_96895ABB301A.jpg[/img]

Should of had them use the newer Husky blue instead of YZ blue for the graphics. It’s a fairly close match to the YZ’s navy blue
mxer613
10/25/2018 6:44pm
mxer613 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/25/298394/s1200_5C754828_16C1_4185_9D0C_96895ABB301A.jpg[/img]

Premix wrote:
Should of had them use the newer Husky blue instead of YZ blue for the graphics. It’s a fairly close match to the YZ’s navy blue
He made tank stickers too, to match the shrouds, Fusion was the only place I could find that would replicate the stock graphics
Premix
10/25/2018 6:50pm Edited Date/Time 10/25/2018 6:50pm
Mxgraphics.co

Very close to the original 96 shrouds and graphics I have.

mowerys
11/1/2018 4:04am
That bike is in amazing shape! I'm getting ready to build 1997 YZ125 I just picked up. Where did you buy those radiator shrouds if you don't mind me asking? I can't seem to find the navy blue plastic anywhere. I'd like to have a new front fender and shrouds.
Premix
11/1/2018 5:22am
mowerys wrote:
That bike is in amazing shape! I'm getting ready to build 1997 YZ125 I just picked up. Where did you buy those radiator shrouds if you...
That bike is in amazing shape! I'm getting ready to build 1997 YZ125 I just picked up. Where did you buy those radiator shrouds if you don't mind me asking? I can't seem to find the navy blue plastic anywhere. I'd like to have a new front fender and shrouds.
Great looking bike. The navy blue plastics aren't made anymore. I was able to find a set of new old stock Acerbis Navy shrouds last year during my search, but I looked for almost 8 months prior and still keep an eye out today and haven't seen any since. I have the shrouds, number plate, and fender from another 97 but they are racer condition at best.
mowerys
11/1/2018 9:37am
mowerys wrote:
That bike is in amazing shape! I'm getting ready to build 1997 YZ125 I just picked up. Where did you buy those radiator shrouds if you...
Premix wrote:
Great looking bike. The navy blue plastics aren't made anymore. I was able to find a set of new old stock Acerbis Navy shrouds last year...
Great looking bike. The navy blue plastics aren't made anymore. I was able to find a set of new old stock Acerbis Navy shrouds last year during my search, but I looked for almost 8 months prior and still keep an eye out today and haven't seen any since. I have the shrouds, number plate, and fender from another 97 but they are racer condition at best.
Thank you Sir! That's what I was afraid of in regards to the plastic. I still haven't decided what all to do with this 125, I like the stock Navy blue/white combo but then I seen another build on here where a guy redid a Noleen bike and that looked good too. And for the suspension I'm still debating between a revalve on the stock forks/shock or trying to upgrade the forks to SSS and see if its possible to upgrade the swingwarm, shock, linkage too. Fork upgrade looks pretty easy but I can't find much about swapping the swingarm. Thanks again!
Premix
11/1/2018 9:42am
mowerys wrote:
Thank you Sir! That's what I was afraid of in regards to the plastic. I still haven't decided what all to do with this 125, I...
Thank you Sir! That's what I was afraid of in regards to the plastic. I still haven't decided what all to do with this 125, I like the stock Navy blue/white combo but then I seen another build on here where a guy redid a Noleen bike and that looked good too. And for the suspension I'm still debating between a revalve on the stock forks/shock or trying to upgrade the forks to SSS and see if its possible to upgrade the swingwarm, shock, linkage too. Fork upgrade looks pretty easy but I can't find much about swapping the swingarm. Thanks again!
Those era of 125’s are outstanding bikes bone stock. The 46mm KYB’s can be made to work very well. Put a pipe, silencer, set of carbon reeds, and a bigger carb and you will have yourself one heck of a bike.

Cosmetic wise N style just started reproducing the Yamaha of Troy graphics. Look into that. Would need to swap tanks and plastic to the new Yamaha blue. If you were interested in selling the navy stuff, I might be interested if it’s in decent shape.
mowerys
11/1/2018 11:50am
mowerys wrote:
Thank you Sir! That's what I was afraid of in regards to the plastic. I still haven't decided what all to do with this 125, I...
Premix wrote:
Those era of 125’s are outstanding bikes bone stock. The 46mm KYB’s can be made to work very well. Put a pipe, silencer, set of carbon...
Those era of 125’s are outstanding bikes bone stock. The 46mm KYB’s can be made to work very well. Put a pipe, silencer, set of carbon reeds, and a bigger carb and you will have yourself one heck of a bike.

Cosmetic wise N style just started reproducing the Yamaha of Troy graphics. Look into that. Would need to swap tanks and plastic to the new Yamaha blue. If you were interested in selling the navy stuff, I might be interested if it’s in decent shape.
Thanks for the advice. Who do you recommend for revalving the stock suspension? Also, what brand and size of carb do you recommend? I've got a fmf pipe, fmf silencer and vforce reeds for it. Also ordered a NOS noleen silencer and looking for a deal on a bare pipe if I end up going Noleen replica.That's awesome NStyle is making 5th dragon again, I loved those graphics.That'd be a good option too. The stock plastic is in ok shape (front fender has a scuff, stock graphics on shrouds lifted on one edge on one side about 1/8", rear fender has scuffs from previous riders boots getting on and off and has a white/light spot or two on it. I'll probably just keep it but if I did decide to sell I'll let you know first. I did just find some UFO navy blue shrouds now on ebay (i bought a set) and it says he has 5 more sets. If I remember correctly, I'm thinking the UFO wasn't very good quality back then but better than nothing. Hopefully the ebay link posts here as I'm new to this message board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZ125-YZ250-1996-01-NAVY-BLUE-Dark-Blue…
Premix
11/1/2018 12:05pm
mowerys wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Who do you recommend for revalving the stock suspension? Also, what brand and size of carb do you recommend? I've got a...
Thanks for the advice. Who do you recommend for revalving the stock suspension? Also, what brand and size of carb do you recommend? I've got a fmf pipe, fmf silencer and vforce reeds for it. Also ordered a NOS noleen silencer and looking for a deal on a bare pipe if I end up going Noleen replica.That's awesome NStyle is making 5th dragon again, I loved those graphics.That'd be a good option too. The stock plastic is in ok shape (front fender has a scuff, stock graphics on shrouds lifted on one edge on one side about 1/8", rear fender has scuffs from previous riders boots getting on and off and has a white/light spot or two on it. I'll probably just keep it but if I did decide to sell I'll let you know first. I did just find some UFO navy blue shrouds now on ebay (i bought a set) and it says he has 5 more sets. If I remember correctly, I'm thinking the UFO wasn't very good quality back then but better than nothing. Hopefully the ebay link posts here as I'm new to this message board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-YZ125-YZ250-1996-01-NAVY-BLUE-Dark-Blue…
Any reputable KYB tuner should be able to handle them. Enzo comes to mind. I have one of the NOS silencers as well but fitted it to an NOS bare FMF pipe I found. The noleen pipes pop up every once in a while for the 96-98 bikes. As far as the carb either a Keihen or a Mikuni will work in the 38mm size, stock is 36mm. They will fit no problem but it is a little tight getting it into the stock rubber intake.

Good find on the shrouds!
mowerys
11/1/2018 12:24pm
mowerys wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Who do you recommend for revalving the stock suspension? Also, what brand and size of carb do you recommend? I've got a...
Premix wrote:
Any reputable KYB tuner should be able to handle them. Enzo comes to mind. I have one of the NOS silencers as well but fitted it...
Any reputable KYB tuner should be able to handle them. Enzo comes to mind. I have one of the NOS silencers as well but fitted it to an NOS bare FMF pipe I found. The noleen pipes pop up every once in a while for the 96-98 bikes. As far as the carb either a Keihen or a Mikuni will work in the 38mm size, stock is 36mm. They will fit no problem but it is a little tight getting it into the stock rubber intake.

Good find on the shrouds!
Thank you! I've got a 15 YZ450 and Enzo did its suspension and its awesome. I didn't know if they were around back then and worked on the older stuff but I'll give them a call and see what all they can do to it. Thanks for the carb advice too! I'll have to start searching ebay for a carb now.

Now we just have to find someone with a supply of front fenders. lol.
FWYT
11/1/2018 3:05pm
Man, that is a serious score! Nice!!
mxracer317
11/15/2018 9:44pm
Nice! First bike i ever had. Let me know if you’d ever want to sell it.
Spudnut
11/23/2018 5:24pm
mxer613 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/11/06/300449/s1200_23A6F3C3_2204_4308_A627_34748462084B.jpg[/img]

2 badass bikes! I really like the white rear fender
mowerys
11/28/2018 5:38pm
mowerys wrote:
Premix wrote:
Those era of 125’s are outstanding bikes bone stock. The 46mm KYB’s can be made to work very well. Put a pipe, silencer, set of carbon...

mowerys wrote:
Hello, just to follow up. Long story short, I bought 2 sets of those shrouds from eBay and neither set is the navy blue. In person, one looks black/very dark purple and the other set looks like the 98’ blue. Both sets are damaged. Here’s a couple pics, one comparing to the stock set. And the stock set doesn’t appear to be faded any.

RABnasty
5/3/2019 9:22pm
Killer build. If you have any tips for finding a gas tank, that would be much appreciated.
mxer613
6/2/2019 6:13am
RABnasty wrote:
Killer build. If you have any tips for finding a gas tank, that would be much appreciated.
eBay

Post a reply to: 96 YZ250 low budget build

The Latest