96 CR125 Build

Darcy16
5/18/2020 12:23am Edited Date/Time 5/18/2020 12:24am
Luckily I have a couple of these Cr projects going and I'm my stack of parts I found a b size cylinder that with a good bore but it was dirty on the outside and had heaps of carbon build up on the powervalve. I measured the bore against my stock size piston and the clearances were in spec.
After about half an hour between the parts washer and scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder it looks almost ready to use.

Plan now is to finish cleaning the cylinder, install a new PV bearing, maybe replace the cylinder studs then I can finally finish the assembly of this motor.
Darcy16
5/25/2020 1:23am
Had a day off today so was able to get the motor complete around lunch time. With all the excitement of finishing the motor I forgot to take a photo so this is the best I've got.
I still had a few spare hours to work in the shed after finishing it and I needed to take the motor out of my other 96 Cr so I thought I may as well put this in it's frame and try get it started.
After a few kicks and no luck I started worrying I'd done something wrong. I soon realised I never turned the choke on and thankfully it started first kick after that.
I'd just put a brand new pro circuit shorty on the bike and it sounded great.

sandman768
5/25/2020 9:05am
Sometimes it’s 2 steps forward one step back with these builds...keep up the good work! Looks goood👍

The Shop

Ray Knight
5/29/2020 9:29pm
Looks like a rough base to start but you can do it! Just got mine finished last year. If your looking for a good replica seat...
Looks like a rough base to start but you can do it! Just got mine finished last year. If your looking for a good replica seat cover go to throttlejockey and ask for a seat in the 96 style. They don’t advertise that style but when I asked if they could they said no problem!

Would you consider selling that bike? My most memorable year racing was 96 nationals on my CR125. I still miss that bike!
Darcy16
6/8/2020 6:13am
Tried to clean up my shed to make room to work on the chassis this bike will end up with and started breaking down some sub assemblies. While removing the linkage from the swingarm all the rusted needles came out of the bearings as well as these.

It's going to take a lot of work to get this thing looking fresh again
Darcy16
6/9/2020 1:02am
Managed to get the linkage apart after a lot of penetrating oil. Doesn't look like its seen grease since '96.

Darcy16
6/16/2020 3:14am
Cleaned up the swingarm and linkage knuckle but not too sure if I'll clean it up more or powdercoat it for something different.

The dog bone has split along the full length of the front so I'll need to either find a replacement or try get someone to weld it and grind it back.
Darcy16
6/16/2020 3:18am
I was also tossing up some ideas for refinishing some hardware. I found an old bottle of gun blueing chemical that I tried to use on the rear shock bolt and a rusted brake pin. Came up alright but bot sure how durable it will be compared to zinc plating.

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1450th
6/17/2020 6:56pm
Gun bluing like that will rust crazy fast. I have used it to touch up firearms and you really need to watch those areas after doing that. All that is doing is discoloring the metal. It does not protect it.
It may not rust much depending on what shape the metal was underneath it.
Getting a company to re-zinc your metal for like $60 or so is well worth it. Just make sure to clean up all the metal before taking it to them. If you do not your end results will not hide lack of preparation.

I will go this route yet again. I tried restoring all my hardware on a 95. Cerakote despite being very strong is not good to use on anything that sees a socket.

Good luck.
Darcy16
6/18/2020 3:14am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2020 3:18am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Gun bluing like that will rust crazy fast. I have used it to touch up firearms and you really need to watch those areas after doing...
Gun bluing like that will rust crazy fast. I have used it to touch up firearms and you really need to watch those areas after doing that. All that is doing is discoloring the metal. It does not protect it.
It may not rust much depending on what shape the metal was underneath it.
Getting a company to re-zinc your metal for like $60 or so is well worth it. Just make sure to clean up all the metal before taking it to them. If you do not your end results will not hide lack of preparation.

I will go this route yet again. I tried restoring all my hardware on a 95. Cerakote despite being very strong is not good to use on anything that sees a socket.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. I just tried it because I like the look for something different but if it isn't going to last I'll just replate all the bigger hardware and replace the smaller bolts with new.
Darcy16
10/8/2020 8:07pm
Been flat out at work so haven't touched this bike in a while but I just sold my YZ 125 so today I ordered some new parts for the build. I've already got this motor done but I've got another one I'm building and I managed to find a new OEM 98 CR 125 cylinder and head for that bike for not much more than the cost of repairing mine. From what I've read I'll have to do some work to match the water passage from the 96 bottom end and 98 top end but it should work well.
Darcy16
10/8/2020 8:09pm
I've also brought an 08 CRF 450 an a parts bike for a couple builds I'm doing so I'm going to use the front end with HPSD for this bike.
Darcy16
1/19/2021 2:27am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2021 2:28am
Haven't posted in a while as one of the parts in my Rocky Mountain order was on backorder for a few months which held up shipment but it finally came today.
It's for my other 96 CR but the part delaying the rest of the package was an OEM cylinder
Darcy16
2/12/2021 3:01pm
Been struggling for time with house renovations but should make some progress this weekend. Finally decided on a seat cover and quality kooks to be pretty good, hopefully i can fit it without too many wrinkles

Darcy16
9/19/2021 2:54am
It only took seven months but we're finally on top of the renos and I've got my shed back to a point I can work on bikes again.
I got the seat cover fitted today. First go was alright, I started at the back to make sure the Honda logo was lined up but it had a few wrinkles so I redid it starting from the front. Had an almost identical outcome both ways. When I mounted up the seat it just doesn't seem to fit as well as I'd like. Not sure if anyone has had the same issue but for a bike that'll be ridden it's fine.

Also redid the carb lines with oem. If anyone is after bulk Honda line the part number is in the picture.

Sorry for the poor photo, the shed is 10m long but only has one old fluro. Need to install new lighting when I get some time.
Darcy16
9/22/2021 12:59am
Been working on converting my sand blast cabinet to a vapour blaster and finally got to test it today. Still needs a bit of work to make sure all the water draining goes back into the bucket but results were pretty good.
Tested with a top clamp off one of my other projects.

Probably won't take any parts of this bike to blast but it'll be handy on the next one.
Darcy16
12/17/2021 1:39pm
Had the bike all together but decided that my cheap paint job didn't match the rest of the bike so stripped it back down and sent the frame off.

Got these back yesterday

Darcy16
1/10/2022 6:15pm
The motor had a slight oil leak so while it was out of the frame I pulled off the clutch cover and found the o ring was pinched. Luckily I had a few spares from other builds so it should be all sorted when the motor goes back in.

He's the current progress:

Hopefully I can drop the motor in this weekend and get it running again.
Darcy16
1/14/2022 2:27am
Didn't get much time tonight but at least the motor is back in the frame

Darcy16
3/13/2022 4:54pm
It's been a couple months but got some more time on the bike this weekend. Just waiting on new fork seals before the front end can go on.

Darcy16
3/31/2022 4:17am
Got some time tonight to do the forks. Had some issues getting them apart but once I did, I found the dampener rod from one of the forks didn't have a push rod inside it (not sure if that's the correct name for the hollow tube inside the dampener rod or not). I've got two other sets of 96 forks from my other bikes so I'll either take one of those or measure up the rod and see if I can find a replacement.
The bushings were all worn and there was dirt/mud inside the forks so I'm guessing the seals were blown for a long time before the motor let go.

Darcy16
5/8/2022 2:40am
Bit of a delay getting new bushing but forks are back together and dropped off the wheels to get new tires so hopefully have it all together in the next couple weeks.
Here's the old bushings

And the rebuilt forks

Banana_oil
5/8/2022 3:53am
Speaking of forks, I find the stock 43mm forks surprisingly plush. Overall the bike has a very good chassis but motor has noticeably weaker low end than a modern 125 but that actually makes it more fun to ride, you must ride aggressively.

Here's my 96

Darcy16
5/8/2022 4:02am
Yours looks good. Sadly I'm not sure if I'll ride this one or not. We're in the middle of house renovations so this might get sold to help fund that. I've got another 96 and a 93 to build though so hopefully I can find time soon to move this on and get working on one of them
Darcy16
5/9/2022 1:58am
Picked up some new rubber tonight but open for suggestions on what tyres to try next. Just got charged $400 for MX33s and new tubes so not sure I'll be going back there again.

I'll be putting on new discs and a new rear sprocket before these make it on the bike.
Darcy16
5/15/2022 5:00am
Got some shed time in this weekend. When bleeding the rear brakes I had a leak in the master cylinder but had a clean replacement ready and will rebuild the one that came off. I've put a return spring on the master cylinder but can't find the actual brake return spring that goes from the pedal to frame, does anyone have any suggestions on replacements?

The weather was ok so decided to roll the bike outside and start it up. Started second kick out wouldn't run without the choke. It's been over a year since I last started it and the pilot jet had blocked up (it was stored full of fuel). Cleaned it out and it runs and sounds great.
Forgot to take a photo while outside but have this of the bike as it stands.

Darcy16
10/12/2022 3:21am
Finally had some time to look at the bike again. Went to start it and it wouldn't run without the choke. Had a look at the carb and unsurprisingly it was sitting for too long and the pilot jet blocked.
We've moved onto landscaping so renos are still priority over the bikes.
Going to try get time to put the finishing touches on this (chain, front number plate, mount the hour meter) then sadly it's going up for sale to free up some valuable shed space for the next CR build and some extra cash for the house.
I've had the bike six years and will have never ridden it, but with how busy we've been lately I think selling it is the best option.

Post a reply to: 96 CR125 Build

The Latest