95 yz250-1st MX build

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2018 3:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 8:37 AM

Hey!, I picked up some used 95 parts locally and the seller turned me on to vitalmx as he has a 95 build posted here. Figured I'd share, any info or pointers appreciated. I didn't realize I'd be posting so didn't take alot of pics along the way. Here's the story as I understand it: a co-worker told me on a Friday afternoon that he had 1 too many bikes in his shed/shop and that could have it for free as long as I promised to get it running and not just let it sit more. I picked it up Sunday, a friend of his was the original owner of the bike and after riding the hell out of it, letting it sit outside for decade, he was now wheeling it out to the curb for the trash man to pick up. My coworker rescued it, un-froze and lubed all bearings, cleaned carb, changed fluids and got it to fire. It ran, not well though. Here's a pic of the day I got itPhoto

|

3/5/2018 4:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2018 5:04 AM

My first ride was short lived, the chain snapped before I made it around the block 2x. The first round of parts included chain, tubes, grips, and a couple beat up plastics.
The 2nd ride was almost as short before the CDI quit.
Time to tear down and check everything out. A friend did the engine work, my plates too full remodeling a Katrina house, working and a CPL other vehicle projects. My buddy tore it down, fixed a power valve/piston interference issue. Installed new CDI, gaskets, piston/rings, rear master cylinder and split case to remove debris from interference issue and found 3 balls from main bearing missing so replaced.

|

3/5/2018 4:21 AM

I picked it up last week and put new front and rear pads on, cleaned her and tried to fit the plastic the best I could around siezed bolts and mismatch stuff. I also picked up a 96 pro circuit pipe and shorty silencer and modified mounting tabs to make everything fit and line up.

|

3/5/2018 4:25 AM

After a few rides I gotta say I'm very impressed, this bike screams. I've always been a 4 stroke rider and can't believe what I've been missing all this time. I still need to swap some rubber and get decisions made before tearing down completely to paint frame and do final cosmetic build. I can't seem to upload pics right now, will try again later

|

3/5/2018 6:31 AM

Photo

|

3/5/2018 6:59 AM

Photo

|

3/5/2018 7:15 AM

This is where I'm at as of this weekend. It's coming together pretty well. Forks and rear shock will be rebuilt next weekend. Decisions being made as to what graphics/seat to use. I haven't been able to find the graphics that match the seat cover currently on the bike, anyone have any info on that design? If I can't find graphics that match Ill be recovering seat and going with all new graphics or keeping it bare and trying to restore the plastic and tank the best I can

|

3/5/2018 7:24 AM

Photo

|

3/5/2018 7:57 AM

Nice work bringing that old bike back to life. I like how you are improving it as you go along while riding it.

|

3/5/2018 8:07 AM

It was a back burner project until my 04 drz400 was stolen 2 weeks ago. The DRZ was setup for street riding w Supermoto wheels. After losing it I decided I wanted the yz ridable while I restored it in phases. Thieves suck

|

3/10/2018 7:37 AM

Sweet. Im building a '95 YZ250 and so is Zach_K.
Keep up the work! smile

|

3/13/2018 12:39 PM

Working on wheels and tires this week, everything is on a budget so decided to work with a set of rims from the parts bin, rims are straight, and in decent condition except cosmetically. After, cleaning,stripping, buffing and polishing them this is what I ended up with. Front is almost done,
rear has a little way to go. New bearings in front already, rear tonight after some more polishing.

Photo
Photo

Photo

|

3/16/2018 7:48 PM

Have a CPL b4 pics of wheels and of them mounted today. Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

3/16/2018 9:37 PM

Great work on the rim resto. You must have spent hours and hours on them!

|