93 Honda CR 250 McGrath

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2017 4:14 AM

Hello to everyone, first of all i'd like to introduce myself because its my first post here.smile

I'm Mike from Barcelona, Spain. I'm full time Race Mechanic for Team Honda Vico now, after being wrenching for teams on the GP scene.

Well let's go to start this out. I was born on '93 so after a life dedicated in racing and being mechanic for a while, i just wanted to make one of my bucket list wishes that it was to rebuild and make a replica of my fav bike a Honda CR 250 from MC so after half a year looking for bikes, I found the right one laying on the backpart of an old workshop in a pile of bikes.

After talking with the owner, we made a deal about he was giving me the bike for free and i had to rebuild an engine and a fork, to help him sell one bike, so i gladly acepted. Loaded the bike into the truck and way back home, i was thinking about wich way should i make the rebuild if stock or a MC replica. After been checking the forum i finally decided to make a Jeremy McGrath replica. It will cost time and a bunch of money but i am fully commited to make it happen with the help of all of you guys.

I'm attaching some pictures, its a slow process because i'm busy with races and stuff but its taking progression.

Photo
Thats from when i picked up the bike

Photo
Sitting on my garage.

Photo
The shape of the exhaust wich was a DEP, some years of roost.

Photo
Rebuilding the pipe. (Mechanic tip: Over the years at MXGP i realized that the best way to take out the oxide was with lemon and a brushpad)

Photo
The pipe almost done

Photo
The exhaust.

Photo
Stripping down the bike

Photo
Cleaning the carb and a little of port

Photo
Cleaned waiting for some aquablasting.

Photo

Photo
The Subframe ready to get powdercoated

Photo
Ti-Pegs from Yamaha wich i think its plug-and-play with the CR frame.

Photo
The cylinder head with the sparkplug and the cap from the old motogp class 250 from a rs250

Photo
Working on the frame, it has been hell of a pain in my ass to strip down all the paint.

Photo
The frame ready to get powdercoated.

Some info i think i been reading over the forum wich is not correct. The white paint from the frame was ROSS WHITE, not SHASTA WHITE, SHASTA WHITE its from the plastics and tank.

So here its the work i have been doing this last week, its taking some time, but step by step. I'm looking here and there for some HRC parts and trying to collect everything.

Its a pleasure to post here, hope you guys enjoy the project like me, any help will be usefull and gladly thankfully. Sorry if my english is not that good but i just trynna do my best with it!

|

9/13/2017 5:57 AM

Welcome... Raced a 93 model back in the day & is one of my top 3 favorite bikes owned. Looking forward to your build thread & the final outcome.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

9/13/2017 8:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 9:04 AM

Welcome! 93 is one of my favorite bikes also, keep us updated.

|

9/13/2017 9:58 AM

Can't wait to see what else you have planned for it.

|

9/14/2017 5:48 AM

What year did those Yamaha pegs come from, I'm doing an 89 cr250 which I believe would be basically same setup as the 93 cr250 foot pegs, also are the pins from the Yamaha pegs same size as the cr pegs

|

9/14/2017 8:11 AM

JMX247 wrote:

What year did those Yamaha pegs come from, I'm doing an 89 cr250 which I believe would be basically same setup as the 93 cr250 foot pegs, also are the pins from the Yamaha pegs same size as the cr pegs

I know that 2014 yz pegs work. Check this facebook group for this era cr's lot's of good info there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/628913867217054/

|

9/14/2017 9:06 AM

JMX247 wrote:

mchonda2 wrote:

I know that 2014 yz pegs work. Check this facebook group for this era cr's lot's of good info there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/628913867217054/

Cool thanks

|

10/1/2017 5:57 PM

Yz pegs definently work.
Yz85 through 450 are the same dimensions and fit this era honda.
These pegs are fastways and are for a( yz). They are adjustable in height. My 95 CR250 now has a larger cockpit than an 05 yz450 after pegs '05 crf triple clamps and taller seat foam.Photo
Photo

|

10/1/2017 7:15 PM

OKIE984 wrote:

Yz pegs definently work.
These pegs are fastways and are for a( yz). They are adjustable in height. My 95 CR250 now has a larger cockpit than an 05 yz450 after pegs '05 crf triple clamps and taller seat foam.Photo
Photo

Where can I buy these? I have a 94' CR 500 and the aftermarket pegs i bought do not fit.

|

10/1/2017 7:41 PM

OKIE984 wrote:

Yz pegs definently work.
Photo

Danben111 wrote:

Where can I buy these? I have a 94' CR 500 and the aftermarket pegs i bought do not fit.

I got them from motosport.com, you can get them from ebay also. Google fastway pegs.

|

10/2/2017 12:30 PM

Ktm up to 15 fit

|

10/2/2017 7:28 PM

Wow, you really brought that Dep pipe back to life! Lemon.. I'll remember that tip!

|

"Nothing happens until something moves"

10/5/2017 3:38 AM

Hello to y’all, here i am againg. It’s been a long process but i dont have mich time to dedicate to the project because im traveling from races to races. Lucky me my season is about to finish in two weeks and i will have some time off to dedicate.

Lately i been busy doing the engine and make it back to life. Hope you guys like it after being sandblasted with marble microspheres.

Isn’t finished yet, im trying to achieve the clutch and ignition cover, and rebuilt the bottom end and the top end, new clutch, rods, crank, piston and so on.

Here some photos of the before/after proces.

Before:
Photo

Photo

Photo

After:

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

10/5/2017 3:42 AM

A sneak peek!Photo

|

10/10/2017 3:19 PM

Will follow this build ! Good job so far.
I'm also from 1993 and bought 2 months ago a 93 CR250 aswell laughing
But mine is more a hybrid.. chassis is 93 CR250 but it has CRF wheels, CR 500 clamps and forks and 95-96 plastics !

|