92 KX500 resto-mod

xnewmanx
Edited Date/Time 11/2/2022 4:42pm
I've always had a thing for big bore 2 strokes. I have a fairly nice 87 CR500.

So I got this 92 KX500 on marketplace running for super cheap. I decided I'm going to make it "nice". Here is how it looked when I got it. When I'm done it won't be perfect but it will be decent. I am a very busy guy so I don't have a lot of time to spend so a lot of stuff is going to be sort of half-assed. I only have about 8 hours into the project at this point.

No cracks in the frame or cases (right side cover was broken)

Started tearing into it a bit:

Turns out we had an 87 engine and 92 frame. Both vins were clear though.

Step one was to take a look at the motor.

Some discoveries. Jug has been sleeved. Walls were scored. Not looking so great. Crank, rod, cylinder, piston, head are all 88+ (which is good because 87 and earlier pistons are not available).

Powervalve gear was shredded. Appears to be an 87 powervalve gear used with 88 crank gear. Obviously they didn't like eachother.

Ordered a used PV assy on ebay. Only other issue is kicker return spring hole on right case is cracked. That will be a simple weldfix.

Stripped down to bare cases and sent to a buddy for vapor blasting. Only have the cylinder done at this point (headed to machine shop tomorrow for 86.5mm piston bore)

Ordered new bearings and seals for the bottom end, as well as replacement water pump, right cover, kickstarter. The crank was out of true so I was able to hammer that back into spec (BARELY). Wound up at .0025" runout on the clutch side and .0039" (Spec is .0039")

Next it was on to the frame. Got it stripped down and sandblasted. Two spots needed light repair.

Dropped it off at a buddy's for powdercoat, as well as the shock spring.

While I was waiting for that to get done, I decided to clean up the tank. Only spent about 45 minutes on it so it's not perfect but a lot nicer than before. Used a DA sander up to 400 grit to smooth it out then used a pedestal buffer to shine it up. 1200rpm on 10" loose wheels with white rouge.

Before:

After:

Click this link for a little video of the shine:

Got the frame back from PC. Here it is all together. Similar to factory hue but a bit metallic.

Click the link for a visual of the "flop" in the PC.

I got some 92 forks from a buddy. Last but not least I buffed up some of the aluminum parts. Again, didn't spend a ton of time on them, maybe 2 hours total but got them looking halfway decent:

I ordered a bunch of shit for it. New wheels, ufo plastics, bars, chain, footpegs radiators, yada yada yada. Again, it won't be anything amazing when it's done but it'll be decent.

I'll try to keep y'all updated with progress.
|
xnewmanx
9/13/2022 8:37am
Dang really? They work on all my devices.
mxracer666
9/13/2022 9:42am
For sure you'll need to get a longer silencer for that machine!

The Shop

quadmx301
Fantasy
2951st
9/13/2022 11:14am
Yep, just my browser. Looks great! What did you pay, if you don’t mind…?
quadmx301
Fantasy
2951st
9/13/2022 2:25pm
Nicely done. I traded a CR250 for my ‘02 and paid $2500 for my ‘00
xnewmanx
9/22/2022 9:19am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2022 9:19am
Alright, a small update. Vapor blasted my engine cases, they came out awesome but revealed some issues, the most glaring being that a later cylinder used on early cases needs to be modified.

Note the addition of a new powervalve pivot hole in the later cases shown below (neither of these are my pictures):

Early:

Late:

Here's what some doofus did to try to accommodate that at some point in the last 30 years...

What they didn't account for is that there's a really large hole there on the later cases and the hole was just hanging out in space, ungasketed...

Apparently old boy didn't even have a drill to locate the hole so he just gouged it out with a grinder and filled it back in with JB weld??? Here's what was there after removing the JB weld...

So the first thing was to fill the hole and build a bit of a landing with weld.

Then I threw it in the mill to get it flat.

Then I used my bridgeport to add a nice new chamfered hole in the correct place.

Should be plenty of landing for the cylinder base gasket to seal on now.

Also repaired the broken kickstart spring hole.

Thanks for lookin!
Rickyisms
9/22/2022 12:34pm
Sweet build, really jealous of your “halfway” decent buff job on the aluminum parts, I spend hours to get them looking 1/2 as good.
JayByrd
Fantasy
727th
9/27/2022 12:59pm
Boy that’s going to look amazing compared to the condition you got it. Just some observation, the forks in the first post are pre-‘89. And the cylinder and head look to be post - ‘89. Hope this helps to clarify what you have going on there.
xnewmanx
9/28/2022 9:06am
Made some headway on the forks. These are 92 forks. Original anodizing. Polished trees and caps, new guards, vapor blasted lowers. Fresh bushings and seals, the whole 9.

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
9/30/2022 9:56pm
Your tank came fantastic. I have a couple hours into mine. White is so unforgiving. I have settled for the fact I can not get all the yellow out despite razor blade scraping fairly heavily.

You mentioned you used a DA. What size discs did you use? Secondly did you only use 400?

I assume you used a loose wheel pad like this one. And you said you used white rouge. Amazing results.

For a restore you suggest you are blowing through your efforts are very notable. Amazing how much you are getting done and the end result. Impressive.

I look forward to your response on your tank. I just ordered a Clarke today since my plastics being brand new will not match well with even the slight yellow. But I want to finish that and I have 2 other white CR tanks to do. Thank I’m advance.
xnewmanx
10/12/2022 8:54am Edited Date/Time 10/12/2022 8:55am
TooOld4WFO wrote:
Your tank came fantastic. I have a couple hours into mine. White is so unforgiving. I have settled for the fact I can not get all...
Your tank came fantastic. I have a couple hours into mine. White is so unforgiving. I have settled for the fact I can not get all the yellow out despite razor blade scraping fairly heavily.

You mentioned you used a DA. What size discs did you use? Secondly did you only use 400?

I assume you used a loose wheel pad like this one. And you said you used white rouge. Amazing results.

For a restore you suggest you are blowing through your efforts are very notable. Amazing how much you are getting done and the end result. Impressive.

I look forward to your response on your tank. I just ordered a Clarke today since my plastics being brand new will not match well with even the slight yellow. But I want to finish that and I have 2 other white CR tanks to do. Thank I’m advance.
Sorry for the delay. Yes I only used 400 grit on the DA. No hand sanding except in a few spots I couldn't hit w the sander. I did use a wheel like that. You have to use a SUPER light touch on it. Honestly I think I could get it a lot better. Maybe I'll take a second pass at it.

Here's a few update pictures. Still waiting for some water pump parts so the right side cover is just tossed on there.

I realized why the powervalve gear was stripped into nothingness... The previous builder didn't put the snap ring on the pinion shaft that holds the pinion gear on. durrr....

Motor assembled:

Wheels got tires:

Nickel plated some parts in my buddie's garage.

VIDEO LINK BELOW

https://imgur.com/776eFSn

Started doing some assembly:

Here's a little walkaround video:

VIDEO LINK BELOW

https://imgur.com/2oVCRIy
sandman768
10/12/2022 5:46pm Edited Date/Time 10/12/2022 5:47pm
Sweet build, always liked the blue anodized forks on the 91-92”s…
cwtoyota
10/16/2022 1:31am
Looks like you have a real nice shop going there with some cool machinery.
I appreciate seeing a fella do the right repairs on the engine cases and other such stuff.

Great build so far. I did the gold wheels on mine too.

xnewmanx
10/21/2022 9:36am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2022 9:41am
More progress. Got the wheels on and test fit some parts. Trying out a 92 KX250 fender for a more streamlined look. Went with an earlier seat cover because I don't love light blue. The seat foam is was proper fucked so I ordered new foam to redo the seat.

Decided I want to make it street legal so I made some brackets:

So that I could run a 92 KDX200 headlight nacelle. I'll also be adding some small turn signals and brake lights.

TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
10/23/2022 9:40pm
The flapper wheel worked great. I have a 2 speed bench grinder. Tried it on the slower speed but the higher definitely produces a higher gloss.
Unfortunately I have yellow staining from fuel I wasn’t able to completely remove on one side. I scraped as much as I could and this certainly removed much of staining.
A white tank is pretty unforgiving.
I appreciate you sharing your process. I had used a cotton polishing wheel on a high speed hand drill. This worked well but you had to watch melting edges. That flapper wheel is considerably easier to use. Thanks for that.
The red plastic I restored was way easier using that method. Not so much white.

Incredible job you are doing. You make it sound so easy. It may well be for a guy well experienced with this type of work.
xnewmanx
11/2/2022 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2022 12:52pm
More headway, almost done.

Made some seat brackets with turn signal mounts built into them...

Here they are installed. (I have since polished the brackets, the lights are kuryakyn ATTO)

Some video stills of the lights working (running off a power supply but the bike has a lighting coil).

Then I got some Myler's radiators. Originally I had bought the Chinese ones from ebay (GPI) and the fit and finish was really bad, none of the mounts lined up, no chance in hell the bottom left hose was fitting but the Myler's ones are awesome.

I also got a late model seat pan, ceet seat foam (good fit) and installed a new cover. No more lumps or wrinkles.

Lastly I designed up some graphics inspired by the 88 KX 500 livery and installed them, along with a unitrack sticker. That's all I'll be putting on, I hate sponsor stickers.

Just waiting on a JSV cone pipe and silencer...

Post a reply to: 92 KX500 resto-mod

The Latest