btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
mx4l mx4l
8/23/2020 12:20 PM

Just going through the bike now and replacing every bearing, race, seal, etc.

30 some years of neglect has nowhere to hide now. But boy is it in your face every place you look here..jeez..

Just some plastic work I did on the tank thus far. You can see the difference in the front fender vs the tank now/

Photo

Photo

Tear down:

Photo

Inventoried

Photo

mx4l mx4l
8/23/2020 6:18 PM

I'm trying to determine the right color of the swing arm. I have found this : "Honda Nh146m Accurate Silver Spray Paint Dirt Bike ColorRite" but was curious if you guys have ever used it and is it the correct color for the swing arm?

mx4l mx4l
8/25/2020 8:28 AM

Looking for a choke plunger for the carb. The one I have doesn't stay up when engaged. Any ideas on how to make it function properly or do most people end up having a purchase a new one?

bonseff bonseff
8/25/2020 1:02 PM

Power though it, homie! Nice get.

mx4l mx4l
8/25/2020 1:58 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Boneseff. It will be fun. To this point the motor is at AndrewsMX getting redone and the frame is at AutoEnvy being cleaned and coated. I have the forks and rear shock ready for RaceTech. Just haven't got there yet.

mx4l mx4l
8/27/2020 12:39 PM

Well, got the frame and swing arm back today. Looks really good. All the bearings are in and ready to rebuild swing arm and steering column. That’s probably what I’ll do today.

Photo

harescrambled harescrambled
8/29/2020 4:33 PM
mx4l wrote:

Looking for a choke ...more

if you put a small zip tie around the rubber boot where the shaft goes in it should tighten it up to where it'll stay up.

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography

mx4l mx4l
8/29/2020 6:45 PM
mx4l wrote:

Looking for a choke ...more

harescrambled wrote:

if you put a small zip tie ...more

What an idea! Thank you!

mx4l mx4l
9/2/2020 8:07 AM

Have made a little progress..

Mainly just smaller stuff.

Here you can see I got the steering bearing races pressed in.

Photo

Photo

I also got the swing arm bearings pressed out and replaced.

Photo

Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/2/2020 8:34 AM

Here's a short video of the steering column prior to the work on the bearings. If you listen closely you can hear how choppy they sound. : /

Also, looking closer you may be able to see where the previous owner tried spray painting the frame. The original color peeks through a little on the steering column head near the ID plate.

Locked up steering column on Vital MX

mx4l mx4l
9/2/2020 8:41 AM

Just a few pieces of hardware I cleaned up to reuse

Prior to cleaning
Photo

After going through the ultrasonic cleaner
Photo

And then after some hand polishing
Photo

Photo
Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/2/2020 8:42 AM

Got my OEM choke replacement in...just need to install that and the carb is done.

Photo
Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/6/2020 10:13 AM

Got both the wheel bearings all installed today. Also received a shipment of oem parts.

Additionally, both the front caliper and master cylinder as well as the rear brake have been completely disassembled. Cleaned them all up, and they’re being sent off for cerakote with most of all the other black parts including the engine. Once they return will be completely rebuilt with oem parts and pads.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/6/2020 10:16 AM

Next item on the agenda is this... Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/12/2020 5:01 PM

I've been plugging away at things here and there as I have time....was able to get the exhaust completely cleaned up and repainted.

Photo

Also received all my RaceTech suspension parts for rebuilding both front and rear ( BTW - I hate rebuilding rear shocks)

Photo

Front getting cleaned and rebuilt proper.
Photo

Equally as important engine components returned from Andrews MX. Engine almost ready.=!

Photo

Photo

Photo

Still a lot more to go...more updates coming soon I guess.

mx4l mx4l
9/17/2020 5:17 AM

Was able to make some progress on the assembly this past week.

Photo

Looking pretty new!
Photo

Photo

mx4l mx4l
9/25/2020 8:51 AM

Ah yeah. Look at all of these freshly Cerakoted parts!
Now on the assembly.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

mx4l mx4l
10/3/2020 10:19 AM

Made a little progress today - chipping away at it slowly. Engine turned out great.

Now I need to start assembly and get this thing back together!

Photo

Photo

Got front brake caliper rebuilt.

Photo

Photo

mx4l mx4l
10/9/2020 5:22 AM

Well guys/gals - It's been fun.
The bike turned out wonderful and is now ready for breaking in. Here are some pics of the finished product.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

philG philG
10/10/2020 4:51 AM

Great job, good to see minibikes getting some love.

Banana_oil Banana_oil
10/13/2020 12:45 PM

Beautiful!

mx4l mx4l
10/13/2020 1:15 PM

@philG & @Banana_oil Thanks so much the compliments. After seeing it in shambles for so long during the restore I still can't believe it's done. It looks amazing every time I walk out into the garage and see it just sitting there. Makes me want to just crank it up to hear the 2-stroke sound and smell the hp2 burning! : D

svt93cobra svt93cobra
11/5/2020 8:14 AM

This gives me much needed inspiration for my personal 1987 CR80 restore. Great job on yours!

bonseff bonseff
11/5/2020 9:20 AM

YES!!!

mx4l mx4l
11/5/2020 11:46 AM

@svt93cobra & bonseff Thank you very much.

For some reason I can't seem to stay off of it! : )

MOTO557556 MOTO557556
11/5/2020 1:53 PM

Outstanding work!

Glad to see someone keeping the Minis alive. The Hondas from that era are iconic.

mx4l mx4l
11/5/2020 6:51 PM

Thanks @MOTO557556
It is awesome to ride and ALWAYS a pleasure to look at when I go out to the garage.

RAD60 RAD60
11/5/2020 6:52 PM

That is a awesome build ! It came out looking like new !

mx4l mx4l
11/5/2020 7:01 PM

It really did. I can't believe how well it turned out. It was THE bike my dad got me and I just surprised him with it this weekend. I had him watch a few old videos with me racing back in 88-93 on it. I then handed him the flyer and was like "man wouldn't it be cool to have that bike back". Look at this flyer! Then I asked him to help bring some stuff in from my truck and there is was. I parked it on the sidewalk as soon as he walked out. He was stunned .It was fabulous. Such great memories. He even rode it around a bit, said to take it away as he was getting a little too brave on it! HAHA! These times are what makes life worth living.

yak651 yak651
11/9/2020 5:08 PM

That thing looks awesome! I so wanted a CR or KX 80 back then but unfortunately it wasn't in mine or my parents budget. Was stuck with an XR75!! Anyhow great job, would be cool to get another set of wheels with gold rims to make it look like its big brother CR125 and 250.

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry