87’ CR250 restoration

Mark_Lynch
1/23/2019 5:54am
CD wrote:
I just stumbled on this post, that is going to be a great looking bike.I just finished this one a few weeks ago and got the...
I just stumbled on this post, that is going to be a great looking bike.I just finished this one a few weeks ago and got the first race on it last Sunday. Surprised at how well they handle especially the front end, and power is very smooth. For the frame I found Chevy engine block orange was a dead match for the UFO plastics. Also there are shroud graphics on Ebay for about $15. Don't know if you have ever had to set the power valve linkage, that was a real treat!

Thanks CD......your bike looks great. It’s surprising to hear they handle great given how old they really are. Speaking of power valves, I’m currently putting this one together. I’ve had the valves and linkage in and out about 10 times. I think I have it figured out, but I wish I had someone to check it before the cylinder goes back on. I read people holding the valves closed when installing the cylinder so the cam follower will line up. But my right side water pump case is off, so I think it will be easier to install because of no spring pressure on the cam follower. If you have any advice please give it....I’ll be installing my cylinder and right side case/water pump over the weekend....thanks
Mark_Lynch
1/23/2019 6:01am
Rupert X wrote:
I agree something doesn’t seem right, but I just went and looked again, frame seems exactly the same in all respects, EXCEPT where the electrics mount...
I agree something doesn’t seem right, but I just went and looked again, frame seems exactly the same in all respects, EXCEPT where the electrics mount. * Anybody know where you can buy the HRC stickers to place on the shroud ? Also, where to buy the proper blue seat cover ?
I really only found two options for seat covers...Vintage roost, and eBay. Vintage roost I think has a good cover, but it has a stitched seam which is not like the original. Ebay has one from Thailand from repro I think and that’s the one I got, it looks good, not sure how it will hold up, but I like the original look and the cover material seems good. Be forewarned, because it doesn’t have a seam, it’s pretty difficult to put on. Decals you can get a lot of places. Ebay, CB Decals, or just type in 87 CR250 decals. There are quite a few different places, some more expensive than others. Let me know when you dig into that right case water pump
Buzzedpilot
1/23/2019 7:39am Edited Date/Time 1/24/2019 6:18am
Looks like there is a lack of the original graphics, but you can print it DIY or get the model specific decals. There's a pretty good post on the forum on how to protect and attach them propely https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/How-to-properly-protect-…

These decals though have more or less good quality https://www.motorcycleid.com/factory-effex/xr-style-oem-tank-shroud-gra…
CD
1/23/2019 8:44am
CD wrote:
I just stumbled on this post, that is going to be a great looking bike.I just finished this one a few weeks ago and got the...
I just stumbled on this post, that is going to be a great looking bike.I just finished this one a few weeks ago and got the first race on it last Sunday. Surprised at how well they handle especially the front end, and power is very smooth. For the frame I found Chevy engine block orange was a dead match for the UFO plastics. Also there are shroud graphics on Ebay for about $15. Don't know if you have ever had to set the power valve linkage, that was a real treat!

Mark_Lynch wrote:
Thanks CD......your bike looks great. It’s surprising to hear they handle great given how old they really are. Speaking of power valves, I’m currently putting this...
Thanks CD......your bike looks great. It’s surprising to hear they handle great given how old they really are. Speaking of power valves, I’m currently putting this one together. I’ve had the valves and linkage in and out about 10 times. I think I have it figured out, but I wish I had someone to check it before the cylinder goes back on. I read people holding the valves closed when installing the cylinder so the cam follower will line up. But my right side water pump case is off, so I think it will be easier to install because of no spring pressure on the cam follower. If you have any advice please give it....I’ll be installing my cylinder and right side case/water pump over the weekend....thanks
There is a site on Facebook - "Vintage Honda CR Two Stokes up to1999" that has a service manual and an article by Eric Gorr that helps in setting the valves. Look under the file tab, they are free downloads, both will help. I ended up getting the linkage set so it opened to the right measurement (25mm open I think) but without the lever that goes down to the crossbar. Then put the cylinder on and dropped them in and set as close to 11 and one as I could. The right side cover was installed. That worked for me, I'm sure some else will speak up on another way to do it to. Seems to be black magic requiring chicken lips and bat wings to get them installed!

The Shop

Mark_Lynch
1/24/2019 7:48pm
Rupert X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/19/319131/s1200_673E2B7B_4675_4CD3_BF33_E3B21F3A00B3.jpg[/img]

That tank is worth some money to someone for sure..... clean it up, not many good ones around for sale
Mark_Lynch
1/26/2019 12:25pm
Laced up the Sun rims this morning. Now that I see them with the powder coated hubs I think they look good. Still need to true the wheels and then I can mount the new Dunlop tires on. I had Galfer make new brake lines and I should have those first part of next week. Looking forward to working on the engine the next couple of days. I think I have all the parts, so I’ll see what I can get done there maybe
Mark_Lynch
1/26/2019 6:55pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/26/320914/s1200_22FE075D_6178_4D8A_A518_4350BD741A28.jpg[/img] That bike will be so nice.. I just picked up a decent rider..

That bike will be so nice..
I just picked up a decent rider..
That looks better than a decent rider...... it looks real good. Love that floor too
Mark Lynch
2/1/2019 6:49pm
Finally found the release I had been looking for that is found in the water pump right side case. Pictured on the left is the new one. On the right is the one that came out of the bike. It has a welded tab on the right side and weak bent left tab. I feel better putting the new one in. Hopefully I can get some engine work done soon.
Mark Lynch
2/3/2019 7:34pm
Things have slowed down somewhat, but I managed to put the water pump together along with drilling the lubrication holes in the piston foe the exhaust bridge. Hopefully I’ll have some more to show soon

Mark Lynch
2/4/2019 1:07pm
Busy day today. Finished the top end installing the piston, cylinder, and cylinder head with no real issues. Moved on to the reed valve and new clutch installation. Glad to finally be moving along on the engine. Not quite sure what the power valve adjustment will hold, I guess we’ll see when I get the right side case and water pump installed. Things look pretty good right now. Received a few more parts, just need more free time...lol

Mark Lynch
2/4/2019 6:25pm
Picked up a gas tank strap the other day. Lucked out really because I wasn’t sure what one even looked like. Well I have one now and it's in good shape. One more item off the list
Mark Lynch
2/5/2019 9:51am
The pipe was finished today and I think it turned out great. The pipe was cut at the seam just above the Pro Circuit label and all the dents worked out before it was re-welded, painted, and baked. It’s cool I think because it is the original 87 Pro Circuit series pipe and there’s not many left on these old bikes. Here some before and after

Rupert X
2/10/2019 9:42am
Mystery solved, my son looked at it and said “ dad look, you can see where the original coil mounted, they made new mounts and installed coil from the ‘85...”
Rupert X
2/10/2019 9:46am
Are new pipes available anywhere for the ‘87? I have a very rough looking PC pipe....
Mark_Lynch
2/10/2019 2:11pm
Mark everything is looking really good.
Thanks Brian. I haven’t had time to work on it the last few days, maybe next week. I think I have most everything I need unless I run into hardware issues. Want to get the motor in soon
Mark_Lynch
2/10/2019 2:17pm
Rupert X wrote:
Are new pipes available anywhere for the ‘87? I have a very rough looking PC pipe....
I think you can order from Pro Circuit, but I’ve heard they won’t make any unless a certain amount are ordered. I have seen some for sale overseas... England, Britain maybe. Also DG is available I think, but I personally don’t like them as well. If I can find some places I’ll post them for you
Rupert X
2/15/2019 6:03pm
How freaky is it - that Motosport still has the optional ‘87 Works Stand available ?
Mark_Lynch
2/18/2019 5:08pm
Finally got some time to accomplish some engine work. I’ve been wanting to get the right side case and water pump installed on the motor. Today I got that done and with a little help from the wife, installed the engine. It was a tight fit. I removed the seat and tank to make it easier, but still tight. I think it would have been easier to install the engine first, then the swing arm, but that definately would have held me up and wasted quite a bit of time, also installed new Galfer brake lines and connected the ignition wires. Hopefully next weekend I’ll make some more progress with radiator hoses, cables, and re-install the seat and tank. It’s coming together

Mark_Lynch
2/18/2019 5:33pm
Hopefully get the new Dunlop’s mounted on these bad boys next week also
bonseff
2/18/2019 5:43pm
looks great!

(I am having a hard time with the phillips screws on the ignition. My last build was a 87 kx60 and every engine bolt was phillips and holy hell did it piss me off.)
Mark_Lynch
2/18/2019 6:16pm
You are going to have to go to Barber with this next year.
Haha... probably not, although I just looked it up and I may have to put that on my bucket list. What a cool place that would be to see ! I had heard of it before, but wasn’t sure what it was all about.
Mark_Lynch
2/24/2019 4:30pm
Bikes starting to come together. Once I got the engine installed, I was able to move along with the carb and hook up some cables. I spent quite a bit of time installing the Pro circuit pipe that was restored. I had forgotten how little clearance everything has. Put some plastics on, kick starter, and a few other things and I think she’s coming together nicely. A few things on this build have fought me a bit, and I realize how many things were just not right on this bike. It takes a lot of time to get all the right parts, hardware, etc...but it’s going to be worth it. The finish lines in sight

Mark_Lynch
2/26/2019 11:56am
The bike is really looking good!
Thanks Brian...just when you think your getting closer, you stop and see all the little things that remain to be done. Yesterday finished building the wheels. Mounted the Dunlop mx52 tires and today I got the back one on. I need a good stand/lift of some type. If you know a good one, let me know. It’ll be next week before I can get back to it, but here’s a couple pics of the progress

Godcho
2/27/2019 8:53am
what a work!! amazing rebuild, your bike is beautiful Wink
Mark_Lynch
2/27/2019 10:58am
Godcho wrote:
what a work!! amazing rebuild, your bike is beautiful Wink
Thank you very much.....I appreciate the kind words. Have a few things to wrap up if I can get some time and then we'll see if she fires up

Post a reply to: 87’ CR250 restoration

The Latest