87’ CR250 restoration

Related:
Create New Tag

12/23/2018 8:33 PM

Everybody has a starting point....and this was mine. Picked the bike up on Sept 14,2018 in Arkansas. Drove it back to Dallas with full intentions on tearing it to the ground. You never quite know what you have until you rip into it. Photo
Photo

|

12/23/2018 8:45 PM

The tear down ...... doesn’t take long. Like I said, the underneath is usually ugly. It’s 31 years of neglect unfolding before your eyes. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/23/2018 8:57 PM

The first thing I wanted to do was get the frame to powder coat. I actually wasn’t sure of the correct color and the forum at Vitalmx was helpful in deciding what to do. I knew my color wasn’t R119, but more of the red orange. Still it was difficult finding the RAL color code I needed. I was given some good advice to check out RAL 2002 49/24550 Vermillion Orange. Turned out to be the perfect choice and so the frame was off to John @ Custom Powdercoating here in Dallas. Here’s what we came out with Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/23/2018 9:18 PM

Not sure I understand. R119, Flash Red, is a red orange.

|

12/23/2018 9:47 PM

The frame sat for a good while. It was time to begin restoring parts and see what was useable. First thing on my mind was to replace all the bushings and bearing in the swing arm. I wanted to use OEM where I could, but only when it makes sense. Ordered swing arm bushing and bearing kit from Boss Bearing which included the shock bearing as well. Broke the main bolt that connects the shock arm to the swing arm. Used a 9X rivet gun to get it out with a little assistance from the hydraulic press. Lucky to find a NOS bolt Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/23/2018 9:58 PM

mwr wrote:

Not sure I understand. R119, Flash Red, is a red orange.

It may be, but the RAL powder coat flash red is red/red. If you have red tank and plastics that color is probably correct. However a lot of the bikes such as mine have red orange ....not even close to R119 red. Why...I don’t know. I do know their were different colors used. I think 88-89 was fighting red. So I was confused too, but all I know is this color matches my tank and plastics for that year. Must be why UFO sells aftermarket plastics for both red and red/orange

|

12/23/2018 10:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/23/2018 10:11 PM

After degreasing , began to file, sand, and bring it back to life. Lot of work to this point. Still wanted to keep the brush aluminum Photoand not the chrome look
Photo

|

12/24/2018 12:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 12:37 AM

Ah I understand. I have seen people recommend both RAL2001 (Red Orange) and RAL2002 (Vermilion) but I've never seen them compared side by side with, say, some new OEM plastic to see which one is closest.

|

12/24/2018 3:55 AM

The RAL 2002 is correct. It looks a bit weird on its own. Kinda salmon pink-ish. But when the correct 87 orange plastics go on, it looks perfect!
Looks like you made a great start on it! The 86/87 CRs are by far the prettiest!
Stevie

|

Check out our website! www.phildentonengineering.com E-mail if you don't see what you're after!

The finest Titanium, Stainless Steel and Billet alloy components in the world!

Engine building, Race prep, Restoration

https://www.facebook.com/PhilDentonEngineering

12/24/2018 5:16 AM

Looks like a great starting point...how's that waterpump/clutch cover look? They are still availible ! I just bought one for my 89!

|

12/24/2018 6:59 AM

I’ve spent countless hours cleaning and trying to make my parts good enough to use for the restoration. Rear shock was in decent shape, although the bumper was missing. Like everything else it got torn apart and serviced. New bumper was added, then spring was media blasted and powder coated by my buddy John Spence. Turned out pretty good. I tried to save the original stickers. I forgot to take a still pic of the finished shock, but you can see it on the bike las I’m installing Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 7:10 AM

Cleaning up the air box, which had caked on mud in the bottom and eveverything else you can think of. Power washer is a must. But I still swear by simple green and Krud kutter..... I think it works well, along with plain old elbow grease. Replaced all the old cherry max rivets on the under side as well Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 7:21 AM

As you may have noticed I’m catching up on this website. As of now I’m half way into this build wishing I had known about how easy it is to document your build on Vitalmx forum. Anyway most of the photos coming will be parts restoration . Front forks was a process. They were in bad shape and as you can tell, like the rest of the bike, never serviced. Upon taking them apart, you could just smell the burned up transmission fluid and black sludge. I used a combination of scotch brite, sandpaper and some steel wool in certain areas. Again, I don’t want over finished chrome look, so I worked filed and worked the nicks, dings, and gouges out as I could. A couple were just too deep to go after, so I just smoothed them out Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 7:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 7:44 AM

I’ll talk a little bit about plastics, but save most for later because it’s a work in progress as you know if you’ve ever tried to restore them. Rear fender was cracked, so obvious replacement. As all of you know there are aftermarket only on these. Originals are keepers if you can, but depends on the shape their in. Mine were painted blue of all things. Tank had deep scratches and a few dents and gouges. Long story short, stripper takes paint off and will not hurt plastics. I’ve done half of that and began the sanding and polishing process which is very time consuming. Tank has been sanded with 320-400-600-800-1000 and still needs at least 12 and 1500..and polishing to finish. Side panels are half done, but need final sanding and polishing. A friend told me to use progressions of steel wool on mildly worn plastics, and yes it does work in limited cases.anyway, here’s some works in progress. Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 7:48 AM

One more pic of the tank dent I had to work out. Yes you can get it out with a razor blade and lots of sanding and blending. A good portion of getting this dent out was contouring around it by blending it in to the rest of the tank, Photo

|

12/24/2018 7:55 AM

Parts, parts, and more parts. There’s not a nut, washer, bolt, or anything else that hasn’t been either media blasted, cleaned on a wire wheel, or just replaced. Lot of working hours on these parts. Still some had further work in the media blaster after these pics Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:04 AM

Photo
|

12/24/2018 8:12 AM

Cylinder was a mess. Burned up, scratched up, and 1st over to boot with a sleeve. Only two options at that point, bore sleeve to 2nd over, or find another cylinder.... and that’s what i did. Bought another stock bore cylinder with power valves. Tore it down and sent it to Powerseal USA. Hopefully it will be back after Xmas. Still have some work to do on the bottom end as you can tell from earlier pics. Bought a new clutch, water pump housing was excellent. Media blasted and painted a few parts while I’m waiting on the cylinder. Weisco top end will be installed as well Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:16 AM

Photo
|

12/24/2018 8:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 1:41 PM

Awesome build ! Raced an 87 back in the day & still have fond memories of that bike. Kudos to the time & hard work put into it. Looking forward to the final outcome..

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/24/2018 8:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 8:22 AM

Steering stem cleaned, scot brited, sanded, and completely rebuilt with all new races, bearings and dust seals. PhotoPhoto
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:25 AM

All brake parts rebuilt and painted along with refinished cylinder head Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:31 AM

Radiators before and after rework. Radiators aren’t that hard to bend. Takes time to straighten every fin and you can only work with what you have. They straightened decent. Painted later on and installed Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:41 AM

I Photohave run into rim issues and have decided to buy some Sun rims, stainless spokes, and nipples from Buchanans out of Cali. Not cheap, but should be worth it. Don’t like the super gold look of Excel and others, so this is a good choice I think for custom rims
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:45 AM

Mark_Lynch wrote:

Photo

what kind of paint are you using?

|

Instagram @factoryfarley25

12/24/2018 8:47 AM

Few other finished parts, then on to some work progress Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 8:50 AM

Work progress Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

12/24/2018 9:05 AM

H4L wrote:

Awesome build ! Raced an 87 back in the day & still have fond memories of that bike. Kudos to the time & hard work put into it. Looking forward to the final outcome..

Thanks..... I’ve got a ways to go, especially with my OCD...haha, But I love it. Hope to always keep this bike. Plan on racing it in the Vintage class @ TVRC

|

12/24/2018 9:14 AM

Mark_Lynch wrote:

Photo

FarleyMX25 wrote:

what kind of paint are you using?

I use Duplicolor low gloss black DE1634. They make it for calipers, engine, and high heat applications. I think it’s without a doubt the best and easiest to use. I have an oven at work, so I paint at work and cure it at 250 or so for a while. I know some people use VHT and such, but you can’t go wrong with this paint IMO

|

12/24/2018 9:19 AM

sandman768 wrote:

Looks like a great starting point...how's that waterpump/clutch cover look? They are still availible ! I just bought one for my 89!

My water pump was in great shape....cylinder not so good. I put some pics of my water pump case...

|