2022 YZ250

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2022 4:03pm
Once I saw that Yamaha fixed the rider cockpit on the 250 I knew I would have to get one. It took a little longer than normal to get ahold of one but Ryan at Lojaks was able to hook us up. After owning a '08 and a '15 we knew exactly what we wanted to do to this one. Once it was brought home it was stripped to the frame immediately to have the cylinder, head, crank, and transmission sent out to Tom Morgan for some help. The suspension was sent to Art of War for a revlave and some coatings. Everything took about two months to get together but here she is.

Mods:
2022 Yamaha YZ250
Tom Morgan
Ported and polished cylinder and head
Balanced crank
Polished transmission
Art of War
Revalve
DLC coated lowers and shock shaft
Larger shock bladder
FasterUSA Wheels
DID STX Rims
Magnesium Color Hubs
Excel Spokes
Xtrig ROCS Clamps
PC Pipe and Silencer
Vforce Reeds
GYTR Clutch Cover
Light Speed Carbon Ignition Cover
Raptor TI footpegs
Core Braided lines front and back
Galfer solid mount front rotor
Rear brake pedal and snake
Guts seat cover
Vortex Sprockets and RK chain
Works Connection axle blocks and TI adjuster bolts
Works Connection Clutch perch
Pro Taper Evo SX bars
Acerbis Hand Guards and Plastic
Acerbis Chain Guide
MXGraphics.co graphics kit
DT1 Air filter

|
wwdiii
8/10/2022 9:36am
Came out really good, nice job. Makes me want to get a two stroke.
cdoggy81
8/18/2022 2:42pm
Nice ride 😎
Any idea what that bad boy weighs?
8/18/2022 11:34pm
Jonny at Art of War is a genius. You should of spoke to Bundy at Bundybuilt for engine mods on those YZ250’s he pretty much has works specs from Japan.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
8/19/2022 5:42am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Nice ride 😎
Any idea what that bad boy weighs?
Honestly no idea. I would imagine it is close to stock weight. Im sure the pipe and silencer lost some weight but the wheels probably added it back.

The Shop

cdoggy81
8/19/2022 11:33am
That’s what I figured. Curious though what that real life # is & if they got any lighter with the new design. My 2020 was 224lbs to start. 2 years & $25,000 later I’m close to almost cracking the 200lb mark 😎
Also how do you like your TMR power plant? He did my engine as well. I still have my crank I need to send him to balance as that noticeably helps the revs & subsequently reduces vibration.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
8/19/2022 1:02pm
man that has to feel like a super fast 125. I love it. I am a that lives in the top end and TMR does a excellent job building a motor for me. Its got just enough bottom end to get out ruts then runs great on the top. The balanced crank is mandatory to me on a two stroke. It gets rid of most of the vibration, and i would say its better than the KTM with a balancer now.
Taylor415
8/19/2022 9:17pm
That’s a damn good looking bike. I’ve always liked the “stock but different” looking bikes. Less is more and this proves my claim!
cdoggy81
9/5/2022 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2022 6:10pm
jpatz319 wrote:
man that has to feel like a super fast 125. I love it. I am a that lives in the top end and TMR does a...
man that has to feel like a super fast 125. I love it. I am a that lives in the top end and TMR does a excellent job building a motor for me. Its got just enough bottom end to get out ruts then runs great on the top. The balanced crank is mandatory to me on a two stroke. It gets rid of most of the vibration, and i would say its better than the KTM with a balancer now.

Haha, pretty much but the rotational mass of the 250 will always keep the 125 just a little more flickable & light on its feet I think. If I get super motivated I may put the 125 on a super diet one day too & see what I can get out of her. Maybe have ole Tom build me a 134.
Yeah man if you like that upper rpm range then you definitely benefit from that balanced crank! That’s awesome he can get it better than a 17+ KTM with the counter balance.

You need to give us some ride reports on the new bike, how is she?

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
9/8/2022 10:37am
jpatz319 wrote:
man that has to feel like a super fast 125. I love it. I am a that lives in the top end and TMR does a...
cdoggy81 wrote:
Haha, pretty much but the rotational mass of the 250 will always keep the 125 just a little more flickable & light on its feet I...

Haha, pretty much but the rotational mass of the 250 will always keep the 125 just a little more flickable & light on its feet I think. If I get super motivated I may put the 125 on a super diet one day too & see what I can get out of her. Maybe have ole Tom build me a 134.
Yeah man if you like that upper rpm range then you definitely benefit from that balanced crank! That’s awesome he can get it better than a 17+ KTM with the counter balance.

You need to give us some ride reports on the new bike, how is she?

The bike is running great. The jetting specs from Tom were spot on. I need to fiddle with the suspension a little more but it was pretty close coming from Art of War. I may go back to the 50t in back though to get a little bit more of the bottom back or go to a shorty silencer.
cdoggy81
9/8/2022 1:36pm
Roger that.
Did he say leaner on the pilot & richer on the main? FMF pipe & silencer for overall performance... I believe that is what he sends over but it has been years since I looked as his paperwork.
You remember where you ended up? I went to a #8 slide (stock is #7 IIRC), leaner on the pilot & LEANER on the main as well. Never understood the richer main with a stronger intake pulse from porting & increased port duration to pull more fuel. Now if you run T2, u4.4 or MRXo2 yeah, 100% go richer but most of the time with a big bore or good porting you can lean up. Maybe he is expecting us to run the good gas / highly oxygenated stuff 😎
Same with the pipes, I offered to send him 3 of my euro pipes to test but he didn’t have a yz at the time.

What did you go with a 51 tooth rear? I would definitely run the 50. I’m even thinking of dropping down to the 49 when I rejet for u4.4 & after loosing 20lbs of the bikes weight.
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
9/13/2022 6:28am
cdoggy81 wrote:
Roger that. Did he say leaner on the pilot & richer on the main? FMF pipe & silencer for overall performance... I believe that is what...
Roger that.
Did he say leaner on the pilot & richer on the main? FMF pipe & silencer for overall performance... I believe that is what he sends over but it has been years since I looked as his paperwork.
You remember where you ended up? I went to a #8 slide (stock is #7 IIRC), leaner on the pilot & LEANER on the main as well. Never understood the richer main with a stronger intake pulse from porting & increased port duration to pull more fuel. Now if you run T2, u4.4 or MRXo2 yeah, 100% go richer but most of the time with a big bore or good porting you can lean up. Maybe he is expecting us to run the good gas / highly oxygenated stuff 😎
Same with the pipes, I offered to send him 3 of my euro pipes to test but he didn’t have a yz at the time.

What did you go with a 51 tooth rear? I would definitely run the 50. I’m even thinking of dropping down to the 49 when I rejet for u4.4 & after loosing 20lbs of the bikes weight.
Tom recommended pretty much the stock jetting besides the power jet going from a 50 to a 60. He also said you can run a N3EJ needle to lean out at the bottom. It is a leaner main jet than I ran on stock yz motors. I also run 50/50 C12 and ethanol free 90 wit the redline premix at 40:1.

I am running a 49 rear to get more top end on some of the bigger tracks that we have. I will probably switch between a 49 and 50 depending on the track.
cdoggy81
9/14/2022 7:37pm
Roger that. You at any elevation there in Statesville NC?
What main did you run, 175,172?
Looks like we are both on the same page for gearing 😎
jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
9/19/2022 1:08pm
cdoggy81 wrote:
Roger that. You at any elevation there in Statesville NC? What main did you run, 175,172? Looks like we are both on the same page for...
Roger that. You at any elevation there in Statesville NC?
What main did you run, 175,172?
Looks like we are both on the same page for gearing 😎
Nah. We are 600-900ft. Im running the 175 currently. I need to dial in the air screw a little more but she is running great. Put another 2 hours on her this week.
alien
9/20/2022 7:46am
Nice looking bike . It would look much better with the shiny blue rims. The blue rims were the best change yamaha made in the looks dept.
centralcalmx
Fantasy
84th
9/22/2022 4:03pm
alien wrote:
Nice looking bike . It would look much better with the shiny blue rims. The blue rims were the best change yamaha made in the looks...
Nice looking bike . It would look much better with the shiny blue rims. The blue rims were the best change yamaha made in the looks dept.
Nah….
His bike is on point
881Gino
12/13/2022 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2022 2:58pm

Hey mate, great build.

I picked up my ’23 YZ250 two weeks ago 😊

After over 30 years of riding/racing this is my first Yammi and first set of KYB SSS suspension and I’m really impressed with the stock platform. After 3.5 hours on it, I’m loving the old school 2-stroke power/character and the suspension is starting to break in and give plenty of feel/control.

I’m about to undertake a similar build with mine and had a couple of questions if you don’t mind:

- Just wondering if you have had any experience with linkage arms – I noticed you haven’t gone for one on your YZ, keen to understand why not?

- Would be keen to get your thought on the benefit the triple clamps provide – they are a big cash investment. Keen to get your thoughts on the feel/benefit to the YZ250?

- Galfer solid mount front rotor – why did you go solid? I have noticed the stock front on my ’23 grabbs and causes the front to tuck/buck under harsh braking. Have you had that sensation with the solid rotor and the braded lines?

- What Vortex Sprocket ratios are you running?

Thanks heaps

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
12/13/2022 5:10pm
881Gino wrote:
Hey mate, great build. I picked up my ’23 YZ250 two weeks ago 😊 After over 30 years of riding/racing this is my first Yammi and...

Hey mate, great build.

I picked up my ’23 YZ250 two weeks ago 😊

After over 30 years of riding/racing this is my first Yammi and first set of KYB SSS suspension and I’m really impressed with the stock platform. After 3.5 hours on it, I’m loving the old school 2-stroke power/character and the suspension is starting to break in and give plenty of feel/control.

I’m about to undertake a similar build with mine and had a couple of questions if you don’t mind:

- Just wondering if you have had any experience with linkage arms – I noticed you haven’t gone for one on your YZ, keen to understand why not?

- Would be keen to get your thought on the benefit the triple clamps provide – they are a big cash investment. Keen to get your thoughts on the feel/benefit to the YZ250?

- Galfer solid mount front rotor – why did you go solid? I have noticed the stock front on my ’23 grabbs and causes the front to tuck/buck under harsh braking. Have you had that sensation with the solid rotor and the braded lines?

- What Vortex Sprocket ratios are you running?

Thanks heaps

1. I didn't feel the need for a different linkage. I like where the shock sits and how it reacts. My only complaint with the rear end is the stock tends to want to overheat and it loses some compression late in a moto.

2. A couple of things for the clamps. I do feel like they help take some rigidity out of the bike and they look badass. I also like bar mounts for some vibration damping. 

3. I find the stock Yamaha brakes on the weak side. I like a strong initial bite and the solid rotor gives a much better feel. I may even experiment with a Brembo master like Keefer has done in the future. 

4. I'm currently running a 13-49. I have bounced around on this tho. I am also on my third pipe/silencer combo. I feel like a 13-50 with the DEP pipe and silencer would be better.  Let me get to third a little sooner and not have to be shifting in between jumps as much. 

881Gino
12/13/2022 5:25pm
jpatz319 wrote:
1. I didn't feel the need for a different linkage. I like where the shock sits and how it reacts. My only complaint with the rear...

1. I didn't feel the need for a different linkage. I like where the shock sits and how it reacts. My only complaint with the rear end is the stock tends to want to overheat and it loses some compression late in a moto.

2. A couple of things for the clamps. I do feel like they help take some rigidity out of the bike and they look badass. I also like bar mounts for some vibration damping. 

3. I find the stock Yamaha brakes on the weak side. I like a strong initial bite and the solid rotor gives a much better feel. I may even experiment with a Brembo master like Keefer has done in the future. 

4. I'm currently running a 13-49. I have bounced around on this tho. I am also on my third pipe/silencer combo. I feel like a 13-50 with the DEP pipe and silencer would be better.  Let me get to third a little sooner and not have to be shifting in between jumps as much. 

Thanks for the info jpatz. 

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
3/17/2023 7:26am

Ran into some issues on '22. The power valve shaft had a manufacturing defect that caused it to break in half. The middle valve edge then caught the piston and shattered the skirt.  I rebuilt the motor and replaced all the bottom end bearings re-did the top-end. While the bike was down I had Art of War send the upper tubes out for Kashima coating and anodized the lower lugs.  I feel like the coating color really works well with the blue.

70059978351  73CE3217-2F55-4DB4-930F-EB55650078F9.JPG?VersionId=WtyQKSeh

cdoggy81
3/19/2023 10:03pm

Bummer man the engine blew out like that. Glad it didn’t take out the bottom end or cases. 
On a positive note she is looking great with that new suspension!

lumpy790
3/20/2023 8:43am

Sorry to hear about the power valve arm failure. Did yamaha help by covering it?

Great seeing a local area build !

jpatz319
Fantasy
1295th
3/20/2023 12:23pm
lumpy790 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the power valve arm failure. Did yamaha help by covering it?

Great seeing a local area build !

I didnt even try with the motor being mod its whole life. It wasnt that bad considering, more a bummer when it comes to time. 

Post a reply to: 2022 YZ250

The Latest