2020 YZ250 smoker dream build full send :-D

Related:
Create New Tag

1/6/2021 3:58 AM

Nice work! interested to see what you end up with.

Have you or anybody else ever weighed a Bare Aluminium YZ250 frame? if so how much did it weigh? I want to compare with the bare steel frame I have in my shed right now.

|

Instagram @_yabba_dabba_dont_

1/6/2021 12:19 PM

Slosh 112 wrote:

Nice work! interested to see what you end up with.

Have you or anybody else ever weighed a Bare Aluminium YZ250 frame? if so how much did it weigh? I want to compare with the bare steel frame I have in my shed right now.

19.2 if I remember correctly

|

1/6/2021 12:48 PM

Yes, being the super anal weight junkie that I am I have personally weighed them both 😎 Would you expect anything less of me ? 🤣
The difference was about 2.5 lbs in favor of the aluminum:

Photo

Photo

|

1/7/2021 3:06 AM

I didn't think the steel frame would give up 1.1Kg on the Aluminium, honestly I thought the steel would be lighter. It will be interesting to see what final weights will be between yours, mine and a stock new gen YZ250, all fluids no fuel. Im not going absolute full Ti and a mega weight loss diet but still serious enough.

|

1/7/2021 8:19 AM

Yep, 2.5 lbs. Now if we weighed a KTM 250sx steel frame I bet they would have a chance at being lighter than the aluminum yz250 frame since they still put $$$ into R&D for their 2 stroke stuff... Anyone know what they happen to weigh by chance?

I will for sure weigh this yz250 with all fluids & no gas when complete. My goal was I wanted to get it as close to or below the weight of a yz125 (which I think is ~208lbs if I remember correctly). It would be really awesome to get below 200lbs but cutting 24lbs out of this sucker is going to be hard even with as much money as I'm throwing at it!

|

1/8/2021 6:22 PM

Just in case anyone wanted to know you will save a pound going with the titanium spring 😎
Photo
Photo

|

1/9/2021 8:13 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

Yep, 2.5 lbs. Now if we weighed a KTM 250sx steel frame I bet they would have a chance at being lighter than the aluminum yz250 frame since they still put $$$ into R&D for their 2 stroke stuff... Anyone know what they happen to weigh by chance?

I will for sure weigh this yz250 with all fluids & no gas when complete. My goal was I wanted to get it as close to or below the weight of a yz125 (which I think is ~208lbs if I remember correctly). It would be really awesome to get below 200lbs but cutting 24lbs out of this sucker is going to be hard even with as much money as I'm throwing at it!

There was a guy in the states, that took a ktm 380 2 stroke engine, and put it in a yz250 chassis, it ended up at like, 206-208, ktm’s frames are heavier compared to the aluminum yz 2 stroke frames, there just isn’t much material in the frame itself compared to a Honda or 4 stroke frame, the pig in the yz250 is the engine itself, ktm’s engines are stupidly light by comparison, can’t speak for the new gen frames; but judging by the materials used between the 2015/2016 ktm frames, and even the new gen 2019+ frames; there can’t be much weight savings there.

|

1/9/2021 6:58 PM

Ah, got ya. Didn’t know their engines were so light 👍🏻

|

1/10/2021 12:47 AM

Ti springs are cool, I think an OEM Yamaha spring is still the right rate for me, just gotta find one.

Where did you get your Ti spokes from? possibly out of my price range but still interesting, I saw on a video a while ago that Warp9 did them for someone but they don't list them on their website.

|

1/10/2021 6:44 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

That's why they break so easy.

|

1/10/2021 7:32 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

I had my 06 yz250 and 2012 250sx at the same time, had both engines out, didn’t actually weight them, but picked them both up side by side a few times, and it was actually kinda shocking as to the difference in weight, between the two, the 250sx engine was much lighter to the feel, if I had to guess, it was more than a few lbs difference, I have been studying the yz engine cases to see if there is any areas where excess material could be “relieved” from duty lol in an attempt to lower the engines actual weight beyond just a ti bolt kit

|

1/10/2021 10:48 AM

Slosh 112 wrote:

Ti springs are cool, I think an OEM Yamaha spring is still the right rate for me, just gotta find one.

Where did you get your Ti spokes from? possibly out of my price range but still interesting, I saw on a video a while ago that Warp9 did them for someone but they don't list them on their website.

What rate do you need? I think I have both 4.9 & 5.1 spares if interested but shipping down under would be $$$$$ sad

Warp 9 is making them for $500 a set. You have to call & ask for Kevin as he doesn’t advertise them.

|

1/10/2021 10:49 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

Mr. Robinson wrote:

That's why they break so easy.

Hahaha 😂

|

1/10/2021 11:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2021 5:44 PM

cdoggy81 wrote:

15tc150 wrote:

I had my 06 yz250 and 2012 250sx at the same time, had both engines out, didn’t actually weight them, but picked them both up side by side a few times, and it was actually kinda shocking as to the difference in weight, between the two, the 250sx engine was much lighter to the feel, if I had to guess, it was more than a few lbs difference, I have been studying the yz engine cases to see if there is any areas where excess material could be “relieved” from duty lol in an attempt to lower the engines actual weight beyond just a ti bolt kit

LMK what you find inside those cases. Not sure if that juice will be worth the squeeze though...

I am replacing the 4x m10 cyl studs & nuts along with the 6x m8 head studs & acorn nuts all the exterior engine bolts, power valve bolts & reed bolts with Titanium & it was a good amount so far. I will quantify it once they go in so I can put the old ones on the scale during that switch out process.

|

1/10/2021 11:25 AM

I don’t think it will equate to much, and probably in doing so, sacrifice the strength of cases, she’s a pig in the cradle lol, but I kinda like the extra porkiness for my size and weight

|

1/13/2021 9:01 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

Just in case anyone wanted to know you will save a pound going with the titanium spring 😎
Photo
Photo

I threw a 5.5 from the 450 on my bike when I first got it. Couldn't get the sag though, since I'm a fatass. I ended up with a RaceTech 5.8. I may end up going with an RCS titanium spring down the road, but not for now.

|

1/13/2021 4:19 PM

Roger that. Yeah 5.8 is for the big boys 😜

|

1/13/2021 4:45 PM

For those of you interested in the weights of the different MC’s most commonly available to us (CR, old YZ & new YZ), Slosh did a great job weighing them & saved me the hassle! Thank you 😎

Photo

|

1/14/2021 6:32 AM

I wonder how a Brembo from KTM compares?

|

1/14/2021 1:16 PM

cdoggy81 wrote:

For those of you interested in the weights of the different MC’s most commonly available to us (CR, old YZ & new YZ), Slosh did a great job weighing them & saved me the hassle! Thank you 😎

Photo

cool
|

1/14/2021 9:53 PM

HackMan162 wrote:

I wonder how a Brembo from KTM compares?

Good question & not sure.
If anyone has a spare one to donate I’d gladly weigh it & test it out 😎

|

1/15/2021 3:51 AM

cdoggy81 wrote:

Good question & not sure.
If anyone has a spare one to donate I’d gladly weigh it & test it out 😎

I remember reading a thread on here that some Brembo mc's had a 12mm piston...

I am on the hunt for a good Brembo mc at a reasonable price...

|

1/15/2021 5:11 PM

Is there a certain year Brembo MC that is ideal?

|

1/15/2021 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2021 6:12 PM

|

1/15/2021 7:10 PM

Nice Zesiger. Any idea what it weighed? Can you tell a difference over the yz master?
BTW I looked up the part numbers & they are the same from 2009-2013 & then again from 2014-2021 as you noted 👍🏻

|

1/15/2021 8:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2021 8:24 PM

No weight on that yet. Yeah it with the stock ktm line was a more immediate. The Yamaha has a small amount of travel and softness before anything happens even when it’s fresh bled.

Keefer recommends Brembo with the yz older larger piston caliper, but that thing is a brick, 300 grams over the 08+ caliper

|

1/15/2021 9:59 PM

Ok so back on track (a little bit anyway 😎) with the build.

With all the brake weight stuff posted I figured I would put up some additional info for you all. I was going to do it later during assembly but haven’t had a lot of time to do more stuff on the bike. Sadly the one weight I really wanted was the stock 270 (to compare it with my motostuff 280) but I was too tired tonight to pull it off. I will soon though!

As you can see I have a stock 250 wave rotor, braking 260 wave, stock 270 wave, aftermarket 270, YOT or team round 280, EBC 280 & motostuff 280.

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Out back is a stock wave 240, YOT or team round 240 & a titanium 240. If anyone has a motostuff rear LMK.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/15/2021 10:21 PM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

No weight on that yet. Yeah it with the stock ktm line was a more immediate. The Yamaha has a small amount of travel and softness before anything happens even when it’s fresh bled.

Keefer recommends Brembo with the yz older larger piston caliper, but that thing is a brick, 300 grams over the 08+ caliper

Good stuff, thank you sir for the info! Yeah 300g is a lot. I assume you still have the the new smaller yz caliper on your smoker then or you get a Brembo to fit? I forgot which way you went

|

1/16/2021 5:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2021 5:48 AM

Yeah still the small caliper, billet caliper on the shelf.
brembo didn’t fit, would have taken modification to the bracket or a custom one.

Motostuff rear disc is 422g on my scale

|

1/16/2021 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/16/2021 6:34 AM

Really??? That’s like 60g difference. I assume yours is a 280mm. Perhaps is it an older 270mm one? If yours is a 280 I’m calling Scott on Monday & asking if the hole pattern changed or something....... ***edit - I miss read that as the FRONT rotor, not the rear, sorry***

Thanks for the caliper info too. Looking FW to seeing that billet one of yours mounted up! 😎 That is the one last trick piece I wouldn’t mind to buy for it if I can find one for a good price.

|