2020 KX250 Bang 4 Buck Build

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2020 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2020 6:41 PM

This is mainly for me to chronicle my development of my new dirt scooter. I also will be using my pro auto background to develop a few small commercial parts as well hoping my tooling for my other business will work for what I intend to do, the prices of these soon to be mentioned parts is out of control and I think I can help..

This all new 2020 really sounds like it should have won or came in 2nd In the shootouts considering its got a ktm contending top end, lightest jap bike, best suspension with Yamaha, great brakes, great gear spacing, adjustable triple clamp bar mount and peg mounts, and by far the best price so should be the best starting point. Going to be an "all go no show" to keep it under 10k grand total.

As I'm recovering I won't be making the first ride until after April 1st and i'm certain it will be "finished" by then.
I have already ordered a good bit of parts and will update as they arrive as well as continue to update mechanical and tuning changes as it gets ridden.

Hardest bike by far to find a decent looking graphics kit for. there's a dozen gorgeous ones for every other brand but kawi....


Photo
Photo
Photo





|

2/27/2020 3:32 PM

Such a beautiful bike as stock. Congrats on the new bike and ride safe.
Looking forward to see how it comes up with your parts.

If you really want it looking special, don't forge to change plastic colors to match the specific graphics kit.

|

2/27/2020 8:46 PM

Great bike that gets awesome reviews.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/28/2020 12:59 AM

You can message me on Instagram @uniongraphicco. I'll get your graphic crisis taken care of.

|

2/28/2020 10:51 AM

Mine is nearing completion, just a PC airboot and raptor pegs to be added. Graphics due Monday! Excuse the odd side shroud I ripped one off while riding Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/28/2020 11:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2020 12:00 PM

that's cool. retro vibe. I put the order in with skda, geese 222$ for stickers... that's 110$ more than a full plastic kit lol.

what are you running for ecu and what's the specs on your triple clamps? different offset or rake?

also need to get or make a 1/7th turn throttle for it. the g2 isn't even close to quick enuff on any of my prior bikes.


I ordered a 51t rear because I couldn't find a 12t front for the 2020. not sure if it uses same sprocket as other years. would like to go o 12/48 right off the bat and decide from there if go to 12/49. none of the tracks here are high speed. not sure if 12t is small enough to cause drag and chew up the guides due to relation to the swingers pivot.

|

2/28/2020 11:45 AM

GCBC wrote:

that's cool. retro vibe. I put the order in with skda, geese 222$ for stickers... that's 110$ more than a full plastic kit lol.

what are you running for ecu and what's the specs on your triple clamps? different offset or rake?

also need to get or make a 1/7th turn throttle for it. the g2 isn't even close to quick enuff on any of my prior bikes.


I ordered a 51t rear because I couldn't find a 12t front for the 2020. not sure if it uses same sprocket as other years. would like to go o 12/48 right off the bat and decide from there if go to 12/49. none of the tracks here are high speed. not sure if 12t is small enough to cause drag and chew up the guides due to relation to the swingers pivot.

Try the motion pro rev 2, I used one before they’re really good!

I just got a vortex for it, had to wait a long time for it but hopefully riding this coming week. I’m excited to try it, I’ve heard good things

|

2/28/2020 1:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2020 3:07 PM

Cool I’ll give them a call..did you get the tuning suit software for it as well?

exhaust showed up...

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/28/2020 4:56 PM

MXBen711 wrote:

Try the motion pro rev 2, I used one before they’re really good!

I just got a vortex for it, had to wait a long time for it but hopefully riding this coming week. I’m excited to try it, I’ve heard good things

How does one get their hands on what I assume are ex pc parts? The oil cooler, rads, and ti catch tank. Trick stuff for sure.

|

2/29/2020 12:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/29/2020 12:21 PM

and I just canceled my graphics order... turns out nobody makes a different colored Airbox. so looking at back and side of bike it will always be green.

guess I need to go with a scheme that is all green now.


this is what I was going with....
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fdfv6fe5pb/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1108/3948/kx_myth2_promo__46700.1568328795.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

|

2/29/2020 12:59 PM

GCBC wrote:

and I just canceled my graphics order... turns out nobody makes a different colored Airbox. so looking at back and side of bike it will always be green.

guess I need to go with a scheme that is all green now.


this is what I was going with....
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fdfv6fe5pb/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1108/3948/kx_myth2_promo__46700.1568328795.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

just buy a 17-18 airbox. They are black.

|

2/29/2020 6:14 PM

GCBC wrote:

and I just canceled my graphics order... turns out nobody makes a different colored Airbox. so looking at back and side of bike it will always be green.

guess I need to go with a scheme that is all green now.


this is what I was going with....
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-fdfv6fe5pb/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1108/3948/kx_myth2_promo__46700.1568328795.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

That's more like a white KX.

|

3/3/2020 1:29 PM

got a different graphics kit ordered, will be an ALL green bike. hope it looks good....
got the quick turn on, still not fast enough for me, going to make some modifications....

she's starting to get there..... lot more goodies coming.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/3/2020 3:25 PM

GCBC wrote:

got a different graphics kit ordered, will be an ALL green bike. hope it looks good....
got the quick turn on, still not fast enough for me, going to make some modifications....

she's starting to get there..... lot more goodies coming.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

The motion pro throttle is an underrated part. Love mine, red or gold reel for moto and black for the woods.

|

3/4/2020 7:50 AM

bh wrote:

The motion pro throttle is an underrated part. Love mine, red or gold reel for moto and black for the woods.

Cool looking part. What difference does it make?

@GCBC
By the way where did you get the gold wrap for the tank?

|

3/4/2020 8:55 AM

GCBC wrote:

that's cool. retro vibe. I put the order in with skda, geese 222$ for stickers... that's 110$ more than a full plastic kit lol.

what are you running for ecu and what's the specs on your triple clamps? different offset or rake?

also need to get or make a 1/7th turn throttle for it. the g2 isn't even close to quick enuff on any of my prior bikes.


I ordered a 51t rear because I couldn't find a 12t front for the 2020. not sure if it uses same sprocket as other years. would like to go o 12/48 right off the bat and decide from there if go to 12/49. none of the tracks here are high speed. not sure if 12t is small enough to cause drag and chew up the guides due to relation to the swingers pivot.

MXBen711 wrote:

Try the motion pro rev 2, I used one before they’re really good!

I just got a vortex for it, had to wait a long time for it but hopefully riding this coming week. I’m excited to try it, I’ve heard good things

bh wrote:

How does one get their hands on what I assume are ex pc parts? The oil cooler, rads, and ti catch tank. Trick stuff for sure.

The oil cooler i got from a friend but i used a twin air oil filter cover for the manifold. Just be careful if you get one as they use a different oil filter. I had the rads strengthened by a friend here in the UK

The aluminium catch tank was from moto whips and was only $79! All looks factory but wasnt very much

https://www.motowhips.com/store?store-page=COOLANT-CATCH-CANISTERS-p106424195

|

3/4/2020 9:37 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2020 9:37 AM

MXBen711 wrote:

The oil cooler i got from a friend but i used a twin air oil filter cover for the manifold. Just be careful if you get one as they use a different oil filter. I had the rads strengthened by a friend here in the UK

The aluminium catch tank was from moto whips and was only $79! All looks factory but wasnt very much

https://www.motowhips.com/store?store-page=COOLANT-CATCH-CANISTERS-p106424195

By the way where did you get the gold wrap for the gas tank?

Which coolant tank size you got?

|

3/4/2020 10:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/4/2020 10:41 AM

bh wrote:

How does one get their hands on what I assume are ex pc parts? The oil cooler, rads, and ti catch tank. Trick stuff for sure.

MXBen711 wrote:

The oil cooler i got from a friend but i used a twin air oil filter cover for the manifold. Just be careful if you get one as they use a different oil filter. I had the rads strengthened by a friend here in the UK

The aluminium catch tank was from moto whips and was only $79! All looks factory but wasnt very much

https://www.motowhips.com/store?store-page=COOLANT-CATCH-CANISTERS-p106424195

Titan777 wrote:

By the way where did you get the gold wrap for the gas tank?

Which coolant tank size you got?

had leftover from a racecar. not enough to do the entire bottom and side of tank as well as sides and airbox tubes/fuel lines/shock/radiator/ header hose like I thought I did, ill be doing all that next time the bike comes apart in a month.... it can be had on eBay.

the quick turn throttle with the fastest setup it comes with makes the throttle id say approx 33% less total rotation.
ex twist stock throttle 2/3rds of its total twist and get 66% of throttle open.
with this twist the same amount and get 100% throttle. it is more sensitive but still linear. easier to be wot all the time and if you have wrist injuries like I do it is otherwise impossible to get more than about 2/3rds throttle on the bike with a normal throttle system.

|

3/11/2020 6:18 PM

These graphics were an incredible pain to put on. Mainly the right side number plate with it’s crazy curves.
Not sure what color seat cover to go with, the full green is brighter lime green that I’ve found so won’t match, all black might be too boring...?

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/13/2020 8:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 8:01 AM

bh wrote:

How does one get their hands on what I assume are ex pc parts? The oil cooler, rads, and ti catch tank. Trick stuff for sure.

MXBen711 wrote:

The oil cooler i got from a friend but i used a twin air oil filter cover for the manifold. Just be careful if you get one as they use a different oil filter. I had the rads strengthened by a friend here in the UK

The aluminium catch tank was from moto whips and was only $79! All looks factory but wasnt very much

https://www.motowhips.com/store?store-page=COOLANT-CATCH-CANISTERS-p106424195

Titan777 wrote:

By the way where did you get the gold wrap for the gas tank?

Which coolant tank size you got?

Heat wrap here:
https://www.motosport.com/dei-reflectagold

|

3/18/2020 2:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2020 2:18 PM

Got just about everything done,

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/19/2020 12:36 PM

MXBen711 wrote:

Mine is nearing completion, just a PC airboot and raptor pegs to be added. Graphics due Monday! Excuse the odd side shroud I ripped one off while riding Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

I like that seat cover, do the wings on the side help with gripping the bike? How much was it?

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

3/20/2020 5:40 AM

MXBen711 wrote:

Mine is nearing completion, just a PC airboot and raptor pegs to be added. Graphics due Monday! Excuse the odd side shroud I ripped one off while riding Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

hubbardmx50 wrote:

I like that seat cover, do the wings on the side help with gripping the bike? How much was it?

Yeah i love it, i smashed my right wrist to pieces so i really struggle to hold on and this helps a ton, the wings sit just behind my calf so im in the right place

Im in the UK and it was £149. Speak to the guys at Guts NorCal and theyll be able to get you sorted out

|

3/20/2020 9:09 AM

MXBen711 wrote:

Mine is nearing completion, just a PC airboot and raptor pegs to be added. Graphics due Monday! Excuse the odd side shroud I ripped one off while riding Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

Ive been wondering about the pc air boot. Its $$$ but if its a big improvement could be worth it.

I wonder where it adds power and how much.

If the airboot, exhaust and a tune filled in the low end -dramatically, and kept or even added to the top end this engine would be outrageous.

|

3/20/2020 10:16 AM

MXBen711 wrote:

Mine is nearing completion, just a PC airboot and raptor pegs to be added. Graphics due Monday! Excuse the odd side shroud I ripped one off while riding Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

hubbardmx50 wrote:

I like that seat cover, do the wings on the side help with gripping the bike? How much was it?

MXBen711 wrote:

Yeah i love it, i smashed my right wrist to pieces so i really struggle to hold on and this helps a ton, the wings sit just behind my calf so im in the right place

Im in the UK and it was £149. Speak to the guys at Guts NorCal and theyll be able to get you sorted out

Thanks mate!

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

3/21/2020 4:58 AM

GCBC wrote:

Got just about everything done,

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

The gold wrap on the radiator line to the water pump...what is this for exactly? Havnt seen this before on any of the 17-20 KX250F's

|

3/21/2020 6:54 AM

nascarnate326 wrote:

The gold wrap on the radiator line to the water pump...what is this for exactly? Havnt seen this before on any of the 17-20 KX250F's

He added it. Doesn't come with the bike.
Supposed to prevent heat from the engine\pipe to the rubber hose.

|

3/22/2020 9:55 AM

Got it together now I have some time in my hands!

Oil cooler set up may be for sale if anyone is interested
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/22/2020 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/22/2020 2:09 PM

what oil are you using and what is its temp at the 10 min and 20 min mark on a 75* day?
Ive never given mx bikes oil temps any real concern considering its only 1quart and I change typically 5hrs intervals regardless of use. I can imagine it being 280* if your a pro rider but likely more around 260* for an average B rider. If it ends up being like 300+ then id like to know and id change it much sooner. I forget what the number is we used in the car and super bike world but its something like every 10* beyond 270* its life is cunt in half. So at 310* its basically one time use

|

3/24/2020 6:40 AM

GCBC wrote:

what oil are you using and what is its temp at the 10 min and 20 min mark on a 75* day?
Ive never given mx bikes oil temps any real concern considering its only 1quart and I change typically 5hrs intervals regardless of use. I can imagine it being 280* if your a pro rider but likely more around 260* for an average B rider. If it ends up being like 300+ then id like to know and id change it much sooner. I forget what the number is we used in the car and super bike world but its something like every 10* beyond 270* its life is cunt in half. So at 310* its basically one time use

I use Motul 300v, its petty much the best oil i could find and it smells like pears.

Ill be honest, i think the temp is pretty irrelevant for me at my speed but it does 2 things. Allows 200ml more oil which is good for keeping it a bit cleaner, and also looks factory, which is way more important

|