2019 YZ250F Project Build

Related:
Create New Tag

2/21/2019 7:01 PM

I have never really done a project like this before, I mean all at once, I have always just added things here and there but due to knee surgery after the first ride I started buying things without control.
Just a heads up there will be lots of pictures, and it will be a longer timeline then normal.

So I have a 2019 250F with less then an hour on it since August.
I bought a few parts from JGR awhile back, lower tubes, triple clamps, and a Ti rear brake tip.
Unfortunately the clamps were not bolt on, and I had to file the frame a hair but they fit and look amazing.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Yamaha factory really skimped grease on stock bearings. Fixed that on the new oem ones I installed on the new clamps.
Photo
Photo
Here you can see the dimple in the frame that restricts the chamber from allowing the steering going to the full lock. It really limited the movement.
Photo
After a few minutes with a fine file and we are all good!!!
Photo
Also I had to take off a cable bracket holder on the left side of the steering neck due to the limited space with the SFS top clamp. No worries a few cable ties and no issues with any of the cables catching anything.

|

2/21/2019 7:05 PM

I guess I should have started with the bike before I started adding things!! LOL my bad.
Photo
Once I brought the race bike home.
Photo
10 Mins before I went down and tore my knee to shreds.
Photo
The practice bike is on the far left, followed by the race bike in the middle and the older practice bike on the right. I am modifying the race bike only as of now.

|

2/21/2019 7:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 7:23 PM

No matter what bike I seem to be on, I have things I believe every bike needs for me to be comfortable on them, first thing I always do is levers. I absolutely love what ARC has going on and once I found these they go on every bike I own. I bought the RC-8 composite and the matching Composite brake lever to match. I also switched to a new handle bar, never tried the ProTaper flex bar, but I love the crossbar type of handle bars so worst case I can keep the crossbar locked on the ProTapers. My grips of choice are the ODI Russian Half-Waffle mid density.

Photo
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo
Good thing that I'm 6'2" as these clamps definitely raise the bars up a solid 1/2 inch. Also a good view of what the clamps look like on the bike. Not too flashy like the X-Trigs but will definitely make a difference.

Photo
Photo
Some close up pictures of the JGR Ti rear brake peddle tip, not a fan of aftermarket parts that don't do much other then looks but I am a firm believer in doing things that make a difference on track and there is no slipping off this guy.

Photo
As the bike sits right now waiting on front suspension to get back from Factory Connection.
Photo

Some more parts that I have stock piled up to install when I can get another day off to spend in the garage.

|

2/21/2019 7:27 PM

Sneak peak at the JGR lower tubes. KYB factory dlc lowers. Also have a few other really cool parts that Factory connection is adding to the forks aswell. More to come when I pick up the forks in the newxt week or two.
Photo

|

2/21/2019 7:38 PM

looks sick
keep us updated

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/22/2019 5:21 AM

you race FTR?

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

2/22/2019 5:25 PM

Rickyisms wrote:

you race FTR?

Once in a while I do. My father races so I generally go and help him. Been off the bike so I am done for the year racing wise. Looking to do GNCC, few enduros, some FTR and Lorretta's in the next season.

|

2/23/2019 12:41 AM

GoYamaha wrote:

Sneak peak at the JGR lower tubes. KYB factory dlc lowers. Also have a few other really cool parts that Factory connection is adding to the forks aswell. More to come when I pick up the forks in the newxt week or two.
Photo

How much for the JGR tubes? Thry quoted me a set for $700usd, got a set from TT for $400aud

|

2/23/2019 4:22 PM

Helda wrote:

How much for the JGR tubes? Thry quoted me a set for $700usd, got a set from TT for $400aud

I picked them up a few months back from someone on here in the for sale section. That's also where I bought most of the bigger stuff from. I try not to buy brand new but I also work at a dealer so it is convenient to just buy from our parts counter.

|

2/26/2019 7:36 PM

Nice bike! Just a heads up, I have 15 hours on my 19 YZ250F. Bike seemed to get a little harder to start at about 10 hours, then at 14-15 hours, wouldn't start at all. Fouled spark plug. Also at 15 hours, snapped the chain when it was adjusted correctly. Just things to watch out for. Other than that, its an awesome bike!

|

2/27/2019 3:25 AM

Hi mate can you tell us where you got that brake pedal tip? I tried looking on the jgr website but can’t find it.

|

2/27/2019 8:19 AM

Hope your healing well. Nice job with the brake tip , did you have a welding shop weld it on?

|

2/27/2019 7:12 PM

Rohr144 wrote:

Nice bike! Just a heads up, I have 15 hours on my 19 YZ250F. Bike seemed to get a little harder to start at about 10 hours, then at 14-15 hours, wouldn't start at all. Fouled spark plug. Also at 15 hours, snapped the chain when it was adjusted correctly. Just things to watch out for. Other than that, its an awesome bike!

It is a known issue that Yamaha knows about they will fix it at no cost at every dealer if they submit a warranty case. Since I work at a dealer and have seen a few issues with these bikes, every case I have had entered Yamaha has paid for everything.

|

2/27/2019 7:15 PM

thereal87 wrote:

Hi mate can you tell us where you got that brake pedal tip? I tried looking on the jgr website but can’t find it.

As far as the brake peddle tip, I bought if from a guy in the For Sale Forum and he is sold out. It was a limited number batch and I believe he is out. It is screwed on with a Ti bolt, where the stock rivet is. I drilled out the rivet and then with a very large drill bit, I countersunk the head of the bolt and used lock tight.

|

2/27/2019 7:20 PM

Rohr144 wrote:

GoYamaha wrote:

It is a known issue that Yamaha knows about they will fix it at no cost at every dealer if they submit a warranty case. Since I work at a dealer and have seen a few issues with these bikes, every case I have had entered Yamaha has paid for everything.

What exactly do they do to fix the issue?

|

2/27/2019 7:22 PM

There is a new map, install new oem spark plug and re-set the tps sensor to a certain value on the diagnostic tool.

|

2/28/2019 5:54 PM

So excited to ride this thing. Only a few more weeks and I will be able to!! Knee is feeling fantastic and I am back to doing everything but riding dirt. I was able to pick up my forks for my bike today and dropped of the shock today aswell. So I am about a week out on the shock, but the forks are absolutely amazing!!!

Also changed the tires out, as the Bridgestone's and I do not mix at all, and mounted up some new Dunlop's. Parts are still on order and have a few things still coming in daily!

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

3/1/2019 4:52 AM

Forks look sweet!

|

3/2/2019 5:03 AM

bike is shaping up real good!

i bought one of these a month ago, do you think the dealers have already sorted out the issue with these later sells or is there a chance i still end up with the tpi adjustment etc? Sub´d to this thread!

|

3/2/2019 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2019 7:54 PM

Installed the new clutch tonight, I so can’t wait to ride this with every part that I install. Never ridden a Rekluse clutch but with the craftsmanship I can’t wait to see how it handles the abuse. I went with the RadiusX autoclutch as I feel it should help me get drive and speed out of corners in arena’s that I need. I also installed the full GYTR clutch billet component for longevity. Unfortunately I didn’t get a lot of pictures but I did snap two.
Ryan

|

3/2/2019 7:57 PM

Photo
Photo
|

3/5/2019 6:36 PM

Little update, still waiting on more things to come in. I’m picking up an exhaust Sat at Daytona SX. Ti bolts and parts are trickling in slowly.
Was able to mount up my rear sprocket and measured and cut the chain. ProTaper Pro 520 roller with Dirt tricks rear Sprocket. Photo
Photo

|

3/6/2019 6:40 AM

Sik build

|

3/6/2019 9:32 AM

Looks great so far. Can you give a little more of an explanation as to why you chose to go with a Rekluse if you've never used one before? Is it for the performance of the clutch itself, or is it for some of the auto functions?

|

3/6/2019 11:46 AM

Get some FLO ti sprocket bolts to compliment that sprocket!

|

3/6/2019 5:33 PM

Looby321 wrote:

Get some FLO ti sprocket bolts to compliment that sprocket!

I have a full Ti kit coming. It is axles, suspension pivots, motor, brakes, pinch bolts ext.

|

3/6/2019 5:38 PM

Wiztardo wrote:

Looks great so far. Can you give a little more of an explanation as to why you chose to go with a Rekluse if you've never used one before? Is it for the performance of the clutch itself, or is it for some of the auto functions?

That’s an excellent question. It is for both. The kit has the torque drive plates which clamp harder and which gives more torque and drive, I thought so at least when I went to a demo day last year. It made it easier to get the drive I need to clear some of the bigger jumps out of corners in the tight arenas. The auto clutch is something that I am going to test. I am a bad rear brake dragger, which has caused me to stall once or twice coming into corners unintentionally. With the auto clutch portion it will eliminate that. But I will also retain the clutch action to feather/starts ext.

|

4/14/2019 1:42 PM

Small update, I apologize for the delay's. I have ridden the bike a few times now and the bike absolutely is a blast to ride and I can only say great things about the suspension and the motor work that has been done. The bike pulls hard and the suspension absorbs almost every obstacle so far. Not a fan of the auto clutch so it will be removed and set on the shelf. I also have a few new parts I can install!!

Anyone know of a good guy to go through on a set of wheels. I have tried going through my channels with no luck.
Pics will come here soon with a few new parts added.

|

4/14/2019 3:19 PM

I found a AUS Yamaha race team using these filters and for the same cost of a normal twin air filter I figured I would give it a shot. Best filter I have ever used. They hold up really well for the short time that I have used them, last couple of rides atleast, and it is a tight fit but it keeps everything out of the airbox and seams to have a better seal. I also just picked up these foot pegs and I cant wait to match these with my rear brake pedal. I do have quite a few parts coming so keep posted. Photo
Photo

|

6/8/2019 9:29 PM

What bike stand are you using there? It looks super user friendly.

Also, where did you get those black KYB fork covers/protectors (?). My A-kit forks don't have those and I'd like to pick up some.

|