2019 KTM 350 SXF Build (Tested)

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/3/2019 4:44am
With all the talk about stiffness above I forgot to mention that I swapped out the elastomers on the Xtrig PHDS mounts. I had no idea the recommend changing there every year! Mine are like 3 years old. You can see home old, hard and yellow they turned. Hoping this brings a bit of life back paired up with the Evo bars.

jeffro667
Fantasy
3558th
3/3/2019 6:48am
jeffro667 wrote:
Hey Joe, I always like your builds, both bike and van! If you ever have the subframe off both of your bikes at the same time...
Hey Joe, I always like your builds, both bike and van! If you ever have the subframe off both of your bikes at the same time, would you mind checking if the 19 subframe will bolt up to the 16-18 frame? Thanks!
I believe they dont interchange, but I’ll let you know if I try.
I went ahead and ordered a 19 subframe, I'll just give it a try. Thanks again!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/7/2019 9:12pm
Got an awesome day in at Cahuilla Creek this week. Going to do some more testing and set up this weekend!

The Shop

Rickyisms
3/8/2019 11:11am
where did you get those bolts for the mud flap? Looks trick Joe.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
3/8/2019 11:24pm
Rickyisms wrote:
where did you get those bolts for the mud flap? Looks trick Joe.
I got them from a friend off his old bike. I’ll see where they come from.
3/9/2019 3:50am
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down! I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being...
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down!

I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being the engine mount to help with the stiff headtube on the 2019 frame. There’s no steel mounts or carbon anymore and they are made from cast so drilling them isn’t safe like the Honda 250 does.

I put my coated calipers on and the rear master has the sight glass capped from Trick eng.

I painted the engine mounts black, threw on some Ti. Also put in some frame grip from Squid Designs. You can also see the Honda brake return spring. I saw a photo the other day that BTO KTM is using the same one.
What paint did you use for the red brembo sign on the caliper? I got both mine done but haven't done the red brembo yet
hippie
4/19/2019 12:27pm
I’m currently on a ‘19 KTM 450. Love the bike in every aspect. Was thinking about making the switch to a 350 and curious what you think. I race at the Pro Am level and often race against kids on factory supported 250f’s. They can push in the rough and technical stuff much harder than most can on 450s. I’m thinking a 350 might be perfect at my racing level but was curious as to what you thought. Any input would be appreciated, thanks
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/19/2019 10:51pm
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down! I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being...
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down!

I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being the engine mount to help with the stiff headtube on the 2019 frame. There’s no steel mounts or carbon anymore and they are made from cast so drilling them isn’t safe like the Honda 250 does.

I put my coated calipers on and the rear master has the sight glass capped from Trick eng.

I painted the engine mounts black, threw on some Ti. Also put in some frame grip from Squid Designs. You can also see the Honda brake return spring. I saw a photo the other day that BTO KTM is using the same one.
What paint did you use for the red brembo sign on the caliper? I got both mine done but haven't done the red brembo yet
Hey sorry for the late reply. I used just normal red paint pen from the arts and craft store.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/19/2019 10:54pm
hippie wrote:
I’m currently on a ‘19 KTM 450. Love the bike in every aspect. Was thinking about making the switch to a 350 and curious what you...
I’m currently on a ‘19 KTM 450. Love the bike in every aspect. Was thinking about making the switch to a 350 and curious what you think. I race at the Pro Am level and often race against kids on factory supported 250f’s. They can push in the rough and technical stuff much harder than most can on 450s. I’m thinking a 350 might be perfect at my racing level but was curious as to what you thought. Any input would be appreciated, thanks
I’m 160lbs and always have been on 250f and 125. To me a 450 is wayyyy too much power and to heavy. The 350 you do need to ring out. It’s kind of a 250 on steroids. I’ve had some people say my 350 is a beast and it was tons of power but also guys coming off 450s said it felt slow.

You should try and befriend a 350 owner!
4/20/2019 12:01pm

Hey sorry for the late reply. I used just normal red paint pen from the arts and craft store.
Cheers Joe, I just used some red caliper paint on mine in the end, I smoothed all of the weld lines off the rear caliper aswell before sending for cerakote.

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/20/2019 10:23pm
Cheers Joe, I just used some red caliper paint on mine in the end, I smoothed all of the weld lines off the rear caliper aswell...
Cheers Joe, I just used some red caliper paint on mine in the end, I smoothed all of the weld lines off the rear caliper aswell before sending for cerakote.

Very sick! You should get that Acerbis carbon disc guard. It would like insane with the caliper and to bolts!
4/21/2019 7:54am
Cheers Joe, I just used some red caliper paint on mine in the end, I smoothed all of the weld lines off the rear caliper aswell...

Very sick! You should get that Acerbis carbon disc guard. It would like insane with the caliper and to bolts!
I might just do that, cheers Joe
XC706
Fantasy
841st
4/21/2019 9:16pm

4/23/2019 11:29am
I got my cone valves on there already and a bunch of parts I’m testing/swapping over. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/16/296244/s1200_C488B379_1B74_4CAA_A46B_6FB3039A0053.jpg[/img] Got this P3 carbon skid plate made thin so...
I got my cone valves on there already and a bunch of parts I’m testing/swapping over.

Got this P3 carbon skid plate made thin so it’s more flexy then normal. It’s super strong and only weights .5 lbs!
Some ti going on the bike

Put my Kawi throttle and cable so it can route in front of the bars.
Hey Joe, do you know how much longer the kawi cable is to the std ktm one. I found a company that can make me a cable and add the length I need. Does yours route down the left or right side of the frame?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/23/2019 7:44pm
I got my cone valves on there already and a bunch of parts I’m testing/swapping over. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/10/16/296244/s1200_C488B379_1B74_4CAA_A46B_6FB3039A0053.jpg[/img] Got this P3 carbon skid plate made thin so...
I got my cone valves on there already and a bunch of parts I’m testing/swapping over.

Got this P3 carbon skid plate made thin so it’s more flexy then normal. It’s super strong and only weights .5 lbs!

Hey Joe, do you know how much longer the kawi cable is to the std ktm one. I found a company that can make me a...
Hey Joe, do you know how much longer the kawi cable is to the std ktm one. I found a company that can make me a cable and add the length I need. Does yours route down the left or right side of the frame?
I don’t know exact length. I have it on the riders right side of the frame.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/23/2019 7:45pm

XC706 wrote:
Dangggg! I sent them a message to see if they know how they compare to stock. I’m definitely interested in trying something softer.
4/23/2019 8:06pm

Hey Joe, do you know how much longer the kawi cable is to the std ktm one. I found a company that can make me a...
I don’t know exact length. I have it on the riders right side of the frame.
Cheers Joe, they take a few weeks to order in that's all and I'm away working just now but will measure up when I get home.
mikejones202
Fantasy
3161st
4/24/2019 8:26am
What throttle set up are you using to be able to run the cables through the front?
4/24/2019 11:19am
What throttle set up are you using to be able to run the cables through the front?
I'm just going to get a longer cable made from venhill. Joe uses a Kawasaki kxf set up including throttle I think
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
4/24/2019 8:32pm
2004-2014 housing and cable will work. I use protaper throttle tube for KTM in there. Super easy, for most of it on eBay.
XC706
Fantasy
841st
4/27/2019 1:50pm

XC706 wrote:
Dangggg! I sent them a message to see if they know how they compare to stock. I’m definitely interested in trying something softer.
What did the Italians have to say Joe?
4/30/2019 7:46am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2019 7:47am
Joe, do the yoshimura axle blocks fit more like the stock KTM blocks, with extra material on the front? put a crf axle with stock blocks on and the adjuster bolts are really far out when in same position as std ktm blocks/axle

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/2/2019 6:26am
I think the Yosh blocks have a short and long side where those CRF are square. There shouldn’t be any difference with because the bolt is farther back. I run my axle really far back.

Word from the Carbon engine mounts is that the one they are sell is stiffer/more ridged than the stock. To me that is interesting because sounds like most the KTM factory guys are going softer. They said they can do a thinner version but it’s a bit of a gamble for $200. We have no idea what they will send, half thickness, 2/3?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/2/2019 6:28am
Michael Lindsy is working with a chassis guy and they are developing engine mounts for KTM. 450 is done, 350 will be soon.

5/2/2019 2:15pm
Michael Lindsy is working with a chassis guy and they are developing engine mounts for KTM. 450 is done, 350 will be soon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/02/343811/s1200_50EB9A68_8AB3_4345_8D9A_11EFDA6D620E.jpg[/img]
Michael Lindsy is working with a chassis guy and they are developing engine mounts for KTM. 450 is done, 350 will be soon.

Have you not ever tried milling a few slots into the standard mounts ?

I personally think the older chassis handled slightly better but I’ve finally got used to the 2019 chassis.

With regards to engine mounts, are different materials being used ? I’m tempted to machine a set up and try a different grade of aluminium maybe ?
AJ565
5/6/2019 8:03pm
If you’re chasing the feel of the husky a lot of that comes from the composite sub frame. Maybe you could run some durlin plastic shims between the sub frame and the frame for a little extra flex.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2298th
5/6/2019 9:52pm
I asked about drilling holes in the engine mount like Geico Honda guys, but KTM mounts are cast and drilling them could make them crack. I also see Nihilo are working on CNC mounts.

I’ve never heard of using plastic shims for the subframe. Is this a thing people do?
AJ565
5/7/2019 6:30am
Don't know if it is or not, but it would give you some flex and still be tight for some outside of the box thinking. Durlin is a very hard plastic that machines the same as aluminum so thats what I would run. I think it was on the 450 reviews on here that they mentioned the husky/ktm feel was largely in part because of the sub frame as everything else was the same.

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 350 SXF Build (Tested)

The Latest