2019 KTM 350 SXF Build (Tested)

thereal87
1/6/2019 2:17am
Hey joe, a good friend of mine has a 19 350 and his bike had the same squealing noise when you load the clutch up, turns out he had a bit to much oil in it, which I found a weird explanation, but since then the bike hasn’t done that and it would have 20-30 hours on it
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/6/2019 11:28pm
thereal87 wrote:
Hey joe, a good friend of mine has a 19 350 and his bike had the same squealing noise when you load the clutch up, turns...
Hey joe, a good friend of mine has a 19 350 and his bike had the same squealing noise when you load the clutch up, turns out he had a bit to much oil in it, which I found a weird explanation, but since then the bike hasn’t done that and it would have 20-30 hours on it
Intersting! Do you know how much he runs or how much less he uses from stock?

I measure mine out to 1000ml for oil only or about 1200 when oil and filter are done.

Thanks!
greg570
1/7/2019 4:06am
Oil should be at the middle of the glass when cold. I have a 450 (which should have more oil than 350)...manual says 1300ml...in reality it is 1150ml with filter or 1125 without it...
1/13/2019 4:26pm
@carlinojoe, how do u like the 350? I've never been a 250f guy cause I mainly ride in sand pits , I'm looking to buy a new 450, but always wondered if I'd like the 350. People say its alot like a 2 stroke and I love that! If you have ridden a 450 can u compare it to the 350?

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/13/2019 8:24pm
@carlinojoe, how do u like the 350? I've never been a 250f guy cause I mainly ride in sand pits , I'm looking to buy a...
@carlinojoe, how do u like the 350? I've never been a 250f guy cause I mainly ride in sand pits , I'm looking to buy a new 450, but always wondered if I'd like the 350. People say its alot like a 2 stroke and I love that! If you have ridden a 450 can u compare it to the 350?
It’s got a lot less power then a 450. I feel like I can ride a 350 harder. I’m not sure if I’d compare to a 2 stroke but maybe in the sense that the harder you ride it the more power you have.

I’m 5,9 160lbs so 350 is plenty of bike. Depending on your size, 450 might be better for you in sand.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
1/13/2019 8:35pm
For me at 5,9 160lbs a KTM 450 is a lot of bike for me. I actually enjoyed the Husky 450 more. Has a softer feel and smoother power. But for me 350 is more then enough for motocross, Racing and some off-road in the winter.

Depending on your size a 450 might be worth the extra power if the sand is deep. It will also last longer then a 350 because you won’t have to scream it as hard.

By people saying a 2 stroke is like a 350, maybe they mean that the harder you ride the 350 the faster it is. Yes that’s true. I guess it also does feel much lighter then a 450.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/21/2019 10:35pm
Hey all, been a while on this build. Just cranking away at work and been riding my 125 to keep the hours off the 350. Getting her dialed in for the spring/summer race season.
Got some cool parts I’m adding on like this factory or could be OEM test clutch lever. Not sure if it’s a test piece?machined from aluminum.

Went all in on these Ti Nihilo pegs from eBay! I couldn’t resist!

I pulled some casting lines off the linkage, cleaned them up and regreased them

I spoke with Keefer via email and he suggest that these Evo bars have more flex then the Fatbar. I’ll give them a shot

I got my forked revalved at Enzo. They were from my 250SXF. So I needed a bit more hold up. We also threw on the red seal holders for the updated look.

2/22/2019 2:59am
Yeah man! So I’ve done both already and they are awesome. Vortex EcU from Twisted. So far all his maps are awesome, more power, better connection...
Yeah man! So I’ve done both already and they are awesome.

Vortex EcU from Twisted. So far all his maps are awesome, more power, better connection and less engine braking on decel. I’ve been using his map 1 and 3 the most. I think 3 is very easy to ride.

I have my large axle cove valves on there. I need to keep them flush with the clamps and sag 106-107. The AER are much longer then my forks so I need this to keep the original bike balence.

I want to keep the engine stock so I get long term out of it. I’m going to mess with gearing I think. Might go up a tooth because some corners I can’t hold 3rd and end up shifting way more then I thought.
Joe, with the twisted ECU can you still use the OEM handlebar map switch and launch control?
Yeah it’s really cool. Jamie made it so you have 3 map options. 1, 2 and TC(it’s a 3rd map option). Makes it easier to try...
Yeah it’s really cool. Jamie made it so you have 3 map options. 1, 2 and TC(it’s a 3rd map option). Makes it easier to try maps.

1 and 3 are always set and 2 is whatever you change the dial on the Vortex to. So that become 8 more options.
I dont suppose you have a contact email for Jamie from twisted, im over in the states in a few weeks so wondered if he could help me out
Rickyisms
2/22/2019 5:18am
I have the Evos on my bikes. They're honestly really good bars, I tweaked my first set in a pretty bad wreck but with tip overs and stuff they've held up great.
Hotwhls
2/22/2019 8:08am
I have a 2017 350 and am curious if you had to choose between Twisted Development or Tokyo Mods who would you choose to do a remap on an ecu.
Millerrr973
2/22/2019 9:16am
Hey all, been a while on this build. Just cranking away at work and been riding my 125 to keep the hours off the 350. Getting...
Hey all, been a while on this build. Just cranking away at work and been riding my 125 to keep the hours off the 350. Getting her dialed in for the spring/summer race season.
Got some cool parts I’m adding on like this factory or could be OEM test clutch lever. Not sure if it’s a test piece?machined from aluminum.

I spoke with Keefer via email and he suggest that these Evo bars have more flex then the Fatbar. I’ll give them a shot

I got my forked revalved at Enzo. They were from my 250SXF. So I needed a bit more hold up. We also threw on the red seal holders for the updated look.

Now I know who got a slick deal on those pegs. Saw them on eBay for $400 and went to pull the trigger, looks like you beat me to it.
CM46
2/22/2019 9:43am
Hey all, been a while on this build. Just cranking away at work and been riding my 125 to keep the hours off the 350. Getting...

Are you running cone valve or standard mid valve?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/23/2019 8:21am
Joe, with the twisted ECU can you still use the OEM handlebar map switch and launch control?
Yeah it’s really cool. Jamie made it so you have 3 map options. 1, 2 and TC(it’s a 3rd map option). Makes it easier to try...
Yeah it’s really cool. Jamie made it so you have 3 map options. 1, 2 and TC(it’s a 3rd map option). Makes it easier to try maps.

1 and 3 are always set and 2 is whatever you change the dial on the Vortex to. So that become 8 more options.
I dont suppose you have a contact email for Jamie from twisted, im over in the states in a few weeks so wondered if he could...
I dont suppose you have a contact email for Jamie from twisted, im over in the states in a few weeks so wondered if he could help me out
Yeah here’s the info for Twisted Development: Their shop is next to KTM/Husky and WP in Murrieta.

Jellis@TD-Racing.com
sales@td-racing.com
http://www.td-racing.com/
951-698-7222
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/23/2019 8:22am

CM46 wrote:
I’ve always worked with Factory Connect and they keep the cone valve. I believe Enzo does as well.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/23/2019 8:36am
Hotwhls wrote:
I have a 2017 350 and am curious if you had to choose between Twisted Development or Tokyo Mods who would you choose to do a...
I have a 2017 350 and am curious if you had to choose between Twisted Development or Tokyo Mods who would you choose to do a remap on an ecu.
I chose to work with Twisted because in 2016 Michael Lindsy hooked me up with them to do a project bike and I got to sit in on Jamie dynoing my bike. His attention to detail was so impressive. He tuned the bike every 10% of the throttle until it was an almost perfect curve.

Then I actually got to workwith them at the track and felt the dramtic changes and what is possible. They were at Mammoth Mx and World Vet Championships and gave me some updates, we ended up combining things I liked from 2 maps into 1.

I’m a firm believer that Mapping is going to be the future of tuning motocross bikes, from helping you corner better to making your suspension react better.

Hope that helps!

CM46
2/23/2019 8:51am

CM46 wrote:
I’ve always worked with Factory Connect and they keep the cone valve. I believe Enzo does as well.
Did you have Craig decker set them up? Just had mine set up by him with traditional mid valve.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/23/2019 9:07am
CM46 wrote:
CM46 wrote:
Did you have Craig decker set them up? Just had mine set up by him with traditional mid valve.
Will or Yoshi at Enzo in CA did mine. Craig is Will’s son, so I’d assume all the settings come from Craig. I heard he’s more WP specialty guy. I’ll ask!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
2/23/2019 9:10am

Now I know who got a slick deal on those pegs. Saw them on eBay for $400 and went to pull the trigger, looks like you...
Now I know who got a slick deal on those pegs. Saw them on eBay for $400 and went to pull the trigger, looks like you beat me to it.
Hahaha yeah man, I tried to not buy them but they look so cool! I rode my friends bike with them and they are awesome!

Racetech Titanium is working on a billit set for KTM. They said they will be out mid summer and around $400-$500.

(These are for the Kawi made by Racetech)
CM46
2/23/2019 9:12am
CM46 wrote:
Will or Yoshi at Enzo in CA did mine. Craig is Will’s son, so I’d assume all the settings come from Craig. I heard he’s more...
Will or Yoshi at Enzo in CA did mine. Craig is Will’s son, so I’d assume all the settings come from Craig. I heard he’s more WP specialty guy. I’ll ask!
Ya I had him set up my Aer’s came out great. But I scored some small axle cone valves.
A_Wise1
2/26/2019 12:09am
I am curious to see your comparison between your Factory Connection set up and your Enzo.
Denn700
2/26/2019 11:30am
Here is mine. I love it!

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/1/2019 10:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2019 10:42pm
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down!

I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being the engine mount to help with the stiff headtube on the 2019 frame. There’s no steel mounts or carbon anymore and they are made from cast so drilling them isn’t safe like the Honda 250 does.

I put my coated calipers on and the rear master has the sight glass capped from Trick eng.

I painted the engine mounts black, threw on some Ti. Also put in some frame grip from Squid Designs. You can also see the Honda brake return spring. I saw a photo the other day that BTO KTM is using the same one.
CM46
3/2/2019 7:46am
My dealer up here was telling me about shimming the headstay let me know how it works.
jeffro667
Fantasy
3594th
3/2/2019 8:08am
Hey Joe, I always like your builds, both bike and van! If you ever have the subframe off both of your bikes at the same time, would you mind checking if the 19 subframe will bolt up to the 16-18 frame? Thanks!
3/3/2019 3:30am
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down! I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being...
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down!

I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being the engine mount to help with the stiff headtube on the 2019 frame. There’s no steel mounts or carbon anymore and they are made from cast so drilling them isn’t safe like the Honda 250 does.

I put my coated calipers on and the rear master has the sight glass capped from Trick eng.

I painted the engine mounts black, threw on some Ti. Also put in some frame grip from Squid Designs. You can also see the Honda brake return spring. I saw a photo the other day that BTO KTM is using the same one.
How does a shim help with the stiffness Joe?
3/3/2019 3:33am
Shes almost back together. Just gotta throw on a new rear tire and torque everything down! I’ve been messing about with running a thin shin being...

Joe, what does the shim do to help with the stiffness?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/3/2019 4:35am
jeffro667 wrote:
Hey Joe, I always like your builds, both bike and van! If you ever have the subframe off both of your bikes at the same time...
Hey Joe, I always like your builds, both bike and van! If you ever have the subframe off both of your bikes at the same time, would you mind checking if the 19 subframe will bolt up to the 16-18 frame? Thanks!
I believe they dont interchange, but I’ll let you know if I try.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
3/3/2019 4:39am

So it’s surprising how how much the engine mounts side where it’s mounted to the engine, the shim gives it the slightest amount of reduced friction.

Does it help, I think yes. Will everyone agree, no. But it’s not hurting anything. I also run -2nm less torque on all those bolts. I asked Keefer about this and he’s tried it but the less torque isn’t a big a difference then when he does that on a Honda for comparison.

I love the KTM but I do find the overall more stiff and harsh then the Husky so trying to replicate the feel from that bike.
3/3/2019 4:44am

So it’s surprising how how much the engine mounts side where it’s mounted to the engine, the shim gives it the slightest amount of reduced friction...
So it’s surprising how how much the engine mounts side where it’s mounted to the engine, the shim gives it the slightest amount of reduced friction.

Does it help, I think yes. Will everyone agree, no. But it’s not hurting anything. I also run -2nm less torque on all those bolts. I asked Keefer about this and he’s tried it but the less torque isn’t a big a difference then when he does that on a Honda for comparison.

I love the KTM but I do find the overall more stiff and harsh then the Husky so trying to replicate the feel from that bike.
Cool, will give it a go. So bolt the mount to the frame with slightly less torque, then just find a shim that goes in the gap between the engine mount and engine? Cheers mate

Post a reply to: 2019 KTM 350 SXF Build (Tested)

The Latest